Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

I'm not sure I get exactly what you are asking, hoshi. Are you trying to create flash cards using Kana instead of Kanji? You are able to do that already by using the smaller "add" button in the Yomichan UI. If you wan to make a user dictionary, you can certainly do that too, just take one of the existing dictionaries and use it as a template, the format is pretty simple. You don't have to use jszip, any tool that produces ZIP archives will be sufficient. Just create a bunch of JSON files and ZIP them.
i am very pleased to hear that yomichan can  import user dictinary simply zip text file using any zip app.
but every time i tried import into  yomichan, error massage appear to say cannot found dictionary index in archive. is there specifc style in to be use in index.json? how to customize it?

as to EDICT format, even japanese word use variety of way of writing, it always lump together in hanzi head word.
for example わずかな vs. 僅かな
財をなす vs. 財を成す
etc. ...
so i would make all-inclucive user dicitionary.
i tried as said and nicily work! thank you for great app.
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
I don't know what kind of a technical background you have, but the archive must first contain an index.json file, with contents similar to:

Code:
{
    "title":"title goes here",
    "version":2,
    "revision":"revision goes here"
}

Then you just have term bank files like this (term_bank_1.json ... term_bank_n.json):

Code:
[
    ["ヽ","","n","",1,"repetition mark in katakana"],
    ["くりかえし","","n","",1,"repetition mark in katakana"]
]

The reason for splitting the terms into multiple banks is that Chrome will crash when processing large JSON files.
Hi all,

I'd love to use Yomichan to look up kanji with the same phonetic component -- is this possible through the browser plugin? My understanding is that this functionality used to be available in the Yomichan anki add on, but it doesn't work for me so I thought I'd try with the browser plugin instead. I'm running Chrome on Windows 10, if that's relevant. I read through https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan/ but didn't find any instructions on this.

Here's the blog post that describes what I'm trying to replicate: https://dayjaby.wordpress.com/2016/07/21...component/

I tried to follow the instructions in that post, but with no success. From Anki desktop I can open Yomichan successfully, but I can't paste anything into the area that says "Paste text here or open a .txt file you want to read!" which proved to be an insurmountable roadblock.

If I've somehow managed to miss a website or post that explains how to do this, sorry! If that's the case, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for any guidance,
Susan
@Susan so there are two things going on. First of all, you are using the web browser extension (which is what this thread is about), but the page you are linking to is for an unofficial version of a plugin I wrote I wrote for Anki many years ago. Unfortunately, the developer that copied it also copied the name, making it difficult to distinguish his unique version.

I'm not sure if the plugin are talking about is still maintained, but you will have to contact the author of the blog to figure out how to do anything with it.
(2017-10-11, 8:16 pm)Susan1430 Wrote: Hi all,

I'd love to use Yomichan to look up kanji with the same phonetic component -- is this possible through the browser plugin? My understanding is that this functionality used to be available in the Yomichan anki add on, but it doesn't work for me so I thought I'd try with the browser plugin instead. I'm running Chrome on Windows 10, if that's relevant. I read through https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan/ but didn't find any instructions on this.

Here's the blog post that describes what I'm trying to replicate: https://dayjaby.wordpress.com/2016/07/21...component/

I tried to follow the instructions in that post, but with no success. From Anki desktop I can open Yomichan successfully, but I can't paste anything into the area that says "Paste text here or open a .txt file you want to read!" which proved to be an insurmountable roadblock.

If I've somehow managed to miss a website or post that explains how to do this, sorry! If that's the case, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for any guidance,
Susan

Hello, Susan, and welcome to the forum!

I know it's not what you've asked for, but a workaround that comes to mind and perhaps is of some use to you is to use an external tool, like Tangorin, for instance. For example, here you have every possible kanji that can be pronounced "tan" (search string in rōmaji). Then, having yomichan installed in your browser, you can add the kanji to your decks or whatever from there.
(2017-10-12, 5:36 pm)FooSoft Wrote: @Susan so there are two things going on. First of all, you are using the web browser extension (which is what this thread is about), but the page you are linking to is for an unofficial version of a plugin I wrote I wrote for Anki many years ago. Unfortunately, the developer that copied it also copied the name, making it difficult to distinguish his unique version.

I'm not sure if the plugin are talking about is still maintained, but you will have to contact the author of the blog to figure out how to do anything with it.

At no point Susan mentioned that she actually installed my version, just merely trying to follow my "guide".

@Susan: I've heard OSX users have trouble copy-pasting stuff into Yomichan/Yomisama. Do you by chance use OSX?
I've just installed Yomichan on Firefox 56 on Linux. I downloaded the dictionary zip files linked from the Yomichan web page. When I try to install them using the zip files I get an error Unable to access IndexedDB due to a possibly corrupt user profile. Try using the "Refresh Firefox" feature to reset your user profile. I hit F5 to refresh the browser but it made no difference.

If I try installing using the uncompressed files I get a Can't find end of central directory error.

I'm really not sure how to get it going ...
It's not simply hitting F5, please follow the directions on this page:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ref...d-settings
(2017-10-27, 8:37 am)FooSoft Wrote: It's not simply hitting F5, please follow the directions on this page:
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ref...d-settings

yipes that says that it will remove all my other extensions! is there a way to debug what's wrong without doing something so drastic!?
Start Firefox with the parameter -profilemanager , make a new profile with only Yomichan in it. If that works, the problem really is with your regular profile.
Firefox has a terrible implementation of IndexedDB which is riddled with issues and is prone to spontaneous corruption. The problem is that it is the only way to store large amounts of data in extensions. I wish I could do something about it, but unfortunately there is only so much that you have access to as an extension.
New version released, lots of new display options:

[Image: yomichan.png]
Edited: 2017-11-04, 10:31 am
Idk why but seems like the Anki Integration is kinda broke with the latest update. It seems to forget all the entry that have been converted to card before. In other words it's seems like it reset itself with this update and therefore I lost track of what entry that I already added to anki and what I haven't add. Idk will it create duplicate card or not but are there a fix for this? Also is this will be happen again after each update? If so it's seems like pointless to update the ext. if it keeps resetting itself after each update. Thanks.
I'm having the same issue as HiddenArmy. It seems after the last update the extension isn't correctly recognizing the cards already inside the deck and lets you add them again as a result, using the Chrome version at least.

I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this is relevant, but one thing I noticed using Anki's "Edit HTML" feature is something else is being added to the cards. Using 昔話 as an example to explain what I mean, if I check the HTML of the "Expression" field of the old 昔話 card, I get
Quote:昔話
If I do the same to the "Expression" field of the newly created 昔話 card however I get
Quote:<style>
.expression-popular {
color: #0275d8;
}

.expression-rare {
color: #999;
}
</style>

昔話
Removing the extra part makes them be recognized as dupes again.
Edited: 2017-11-08, 7:17 am
If it's now grouping variations of the headword, what's it actually supposed to be adding to the Expression field?... I see, the new behaviour is the "Group results by main dictionary entry" option, and it puts things like "食べる、喰べる" into the expression field.

As PoMan explained, it's also adding CSS and blank lines into the expression field, for all 3 options.
Edited: 2017-11-08, 7:40 am
(2017-11-08, 7:16 am)PoMan Wrote: I'm having the same issue as HiddenArmy. It seems after the last update the extension isn't correctly recognizing the cards already inside the deck and lets you add them again as a result, using the Chrome version at least.

I'm not tech savvy enough to know if this is relevant, but one thing I noticed using Anki's "Edit HTML" feature is something else is being added to the cards. Using 昔話 as an example to explain what I mean, if I check the HTML of the "Expression" field of the old 昔話 card, I get
Quote:昔話
If I do the same to the "Expression" field of the newly created 昔話 card however I get
Quote:<style>
.expression-popular {
}

.expression-rare {
}
</style>

昔話
Removing the extra part makes them be recognized as dupes again.

Just notice after you post that. If you go to the settings -> ANKI Options search the text box that contain codes and delete the

<style>
.expression-popular {
}

.expression-rare {
}
</style>

part only, then it will recognize the old card again. But idk will it have a negative effect or not, but seems harmless.
Edited: 2017-11-08, 11:53 am
I'll check out the templates when I get home, probably just have to remove the style tag since it's causing expressions to appear as unique.

The grouped version does add just add a comma-separated expression list. Don't know what a better solution would be for that.
(2017-11-08, 10:51 am)FooSoft Wrote: The grouped version does add just add a comma-separated expression list. Don't know what a better solution would be for that.

Just an idea: Maybe you could enable the movement of the yellow asterisk across all the options in the comma-separated list, so the user can add the expression he/she prefers -- or all of them, i.e. as it's currently working, if you keep the "whole card" marker in place (but keep in mind that, if you keep it, when the list has only one entry you'll end up with two redundant markers doing the exact same thing if you're not careful ;-).
I've released 1.5.1 that in addition to a couple of minor changes will automatically fix your Anki template if you are running with the default. If you are not, just manually delete the content in between (and including) the style tags and everything will be back to normal.
Great, thanks!

That makes me wonder though, how do custom Anki templates work with updates? Do you normally leave the custom template alone? What would have happened with the update before this one? Can a custom template become incompatible?
Custom templates can indeed become incompatible, but I avoid this when possible. There is a settings versioning system that amongst other things checks a hash of your template against the previous default. If it is the same, the template gets overriden, otherwise it is left alone (or the entire body gets put into an if statement like it did for 1.5.0). In general though, the idea is that it is better to not support new features than clobber a template someone put a lot of time in to customize.
Edited: 2017-11-09, 7:21 am
I see - that makes sense.
The compact glossaries are really nice!

I think that it would look better if the JMdict  tag boxes came first, i.e. before all the other boxes for P, ichinewsspec, adj-no, etc. The more regular appearance would make it also easier to grasp the content and the diffierences quicker.

The tag boxes for the other dictionary I have installed are at the entry's beginning too.

1. JMdict appearance; ...
  2. JMdict a 'seeming' ...
  3. ling JMdict aspect
  4. physics JMdict phase ...
  1. JMdict appearance; ...
  2. JMdict a 'seeming' ...
  3. JMdict ling aspect
  4. JMdict physics phase ...