Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

I'm not sure I get exactly what you are asking, hoshi. Are you trying to create flash cards using Kana instead of Kanji? You are able to do that already by using the smaller "add" button in the Yomichan UI. If you wan to make a user dictionary, you can certainly do that too, just take one of the existing dictionaries and use it as a template, the format is pretty simple. You don't have to use jszip, any tool that produces ZIP archives will be sufficient. Just create a bunch of JSON files and ZIP them.
i am very pleased to hear that yomichan can  import user dictinary simply zip text file using any zip app.
but every time i tried import into  yomichan, error massage appear to say cannot found dictionary index in archive. is there specifc style in to be use in index.json? how to customize it?

as to EDICT format, even japanese word use variety of way of writing, it always lump together in hanzi head word.
for example わずかな vs. 僅かな
財をなす vs. 財を成す
etc. ...
so i would make all-inclucive user dicitionary.
i tried as said and nicily work! thank you for great app.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
I don't know what kind of a technical background you have, but the archive must first contain an index.json file, with contents similar to:

Code:
{
    "title":"title goes here",
    "version":2,
    "revision":"revision goes here"
}

Then you just have term bank files like this (term_bank_1.json ... term_bank_n.json):

Code:
[
    ["ヽ","","n","",1,"repetition mark in katakana"],
    ["くりかえし","","n","",1,"repetition mark in katakana"]
]

The reason for splitting the terms into multiple banks is that Chrome will crash when processing large JSON files.
Hi all,

I'd love to use Yomichan to look up kanji with the same phonetic component -- is this possible through the browser plugin? My understanding is that this functionality used to be available in the Yomichan anki add on, but it doesn't work for me so I thought I'd try with the browser plugin instead. I'm running Chrome on Windows 10, if that's relevant. I read through https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan/ but didn't find any instructions on this.

Here's the blog post that describes what I'm trying to replicate: https://dayjaby.wordpress.com/2016/07/21...component/

I tried to follow the instructions in that post, but with no success. From Anki desktop I can open Yomichan successfully, but I can't paste anything into the area that says "Paste text here or open a .txt file you want to read!" which proved to be an insurmountable roadblock.

If I've somehow managed to miss a website or post that explains how to do this, sorry! If that's the case, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for any guidance,
Susan
@Susan so there are two things going on. First of all, you are using the web browser extension (which is what this thread is about), but the page you are linking to is for an unofficial version of a plugin I wrote I wrote for Anki many years ago. Unfortunately, the developer that copied it also copied the name, making it difficult to distinguish his unique version.

I'm not sure if the plugin are talking about is still maintained, but you will have to contact the author of the blog to figure out how to do anything with it.
(2017-10-11, 8:16 pm)Susan1430 Wrote: Hi all,

I'd love to use Yomichan to look up kanji with the same phonetic component -- is this possible through the browser plugin? My understanding is that this functionality used to be available in the Yomichan anki add on, but it doesn't work for me so I thought I'd try with the browser plugin instead. I'm running Chrome on Windows 10, if that's relevant. I read through https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan/ but didn't find any instructions on this.

Here's the blog post that describes what I'm trying to replicate: https://dayjaby.wordpress.com/2016/07/21...component/

I tried to follow the instructions in that post, but with no success. From Anki desktop I can open Yomichan successfully, but I can't paste anything into the area that says "Paste text here or open a .txt file you want to read!" which proved to be an insurmountable roadblock.

If I've somehow managed to miss a website or post that explains how to do this, sorry! If that's the case, I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction.

Thank you in advance for any guidance,
Susan

Hello, Susan, and welcome to the forum!

I know it's not what you've asked for, but a workaround that comes to mind and perhaps is of some use to you is to use an external tool, like Tangorin, for instance. For example, here you have every possible kanji that can be pronounced "tan" (search string in rōmaji). Then, having yomichan installed in your browser, you can add the kanji to your decks or whatever from there.