Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

Does anyone else have a problem with centering the definition? Yomichan's Anki import seems to skew the definitions to the left like this: http://imgur.com/a/eTPEs. Do I have to edit the export settings or can it be changed in the template? https://pastebin.com/PMyfEeQh
This has to be changed in the template which at this point is not user-editable. This will hopefully change in the next week or two.
New version 1.3.5 released. You can now define exactly how your generated Anki will cards look with Handlebar templates!

[Image: Screenshot_2017-09-09_13-15-47.png]
Edited: 2017-09-09, 3:36 pm
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
First of all I'd like to thank you for hard work. This tool has been invaluable in my Japanese learning journey so far. I donated a couple bucks, I wish I could give more but my spending ability is rather limited at the moment.

This new version has given me some trouble though. I am utterly useless with any code stuff so trying to edit the handlebars stuff has been unsuccessful for me but it seems there is no way around using it in this new version. I remember in an older version there was a field that let me disable HTML formatting. That way I could easily edit the definitions, add examples myself and keep the cards short and concise. Has this feature been removed in the new version?  JMDict sometimes really is rather nonsensical in the translation it gives or way too long to be useful for flashcards (+15 definitions for one word) so I liked to have some control what is actually inside my flashcards. I just added a couple words today and noticed they didn't look like usually and had the pesky HTML formatting which is really hard to edit in Anki, and personally I find it rather unaesthetic. It also seems to ignore Anki's native card template settings. Is there no way to make Yomichan just put up the definitions in plain text anymore?
Hey MerryMary, first of all, I appreciate the support! Knowing that people care enough about my work to donate is amazing!

Regarding your question about text-only cards: you can still do it, you just have to update the field template to not have HTML tags in it. I updated the FAQ on the Yomichan homepage with an explanation as well as a template you can copy-paste into your options page to get the old behavior back.
Everything is working just like it used to again, thank you so much.
Maybe a stupid question, but I wonder if anyone has been able to see Japanese definitions of Japanese words rather than English definitions with Yomichan.
If you want to see Japanese definitions you will need to acquire appropriate EPWING dictionaries. They are not distributed with Yomichan because they are proprietary and cost money. You can see https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan-import/ for a list of supported EPWING dictionaries. I would recommend Daijirin or Daijisen.
How about japanese-russian dictionaries? For example - warodai. It exists in EPWING format here
Edited: 2017-09-18, 1:57 pm
Because there is no consistent format between different EPWING dictionaries, work has to be done to add support for them individually. If there is interest in Russian dictionaries (or someone volunteers dev time), it can definitely happen.
(2017-09-18, 2:21 pm)FooSoft Wrote: or someone volunteers dev time

NOPE NEVER AGAIN
(2017-09-18, 3:55 pm)karageko Wrote:
(2017-09-18, 2:21 pm)FooSoft Wrote: or someone volunteers dev time

NOPE NEVER AGAIN

You say that now, but you secretly yearn for the glory of creating font tables and writing regex.