Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

Does anybody care at all about the feature of having definitions *not* grouped by term (basically how Yomichan used to work a long time ago before definitions were grouped)? I'd like to delete this feature for the sake of code simplification, but wanted to see if anybody cares.
Edited: 2017-07-09, 8:58 pm
To be honest, at first I thought this feature just packed together definitions coming from *different* dictionaries, but by deactivating it I discovered it also packs together different definitions from *the same* dictionary as well, right?

Visually, it's true I prefer the grouped version, but can perfectly live without it.

Besides, I'm not using it with Anki (yet), so I'm curious: when adding definitions to a deck, does it add every grouped definition, or just one of them? What does change, between having it active or inactive, when adding words to Anki? Maybe the non-grouped version makes more sense when doing so...
I'm actually asking if people care that non-grouped definitions go away (I'll revise my question so it makes more sense). It seems to me as just a more terse and informative way of presenting data, but people have their own workflows, and I wanted to make sure that I'm not deleting something that is actually useful.

When you add definitions to Anki, you get what looks pretty similar to what is in the definition window. So if you have grouping enabled, you will get cards with grouped definitions, otherwise they will be split apart.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
I remember someone earlier in this thread wanted them non-grouped (for adding to Anki).

Right, found it.

https://forum.koohii.com/thread-13742-po...#pid240785
https://forum.koohii.com/thread-13742-po...#pid240855

xtreme1 Wrote:I tend to keep my J-J and E-J cards separate and generate reading for their {glossary-list} equivalents.
I definitely wouldn't want the entries between J-J and E-J combined.
Edited: 2017-07-10, 6:20 am
(2017-07-09, 8:56 pm)FooSoft Wrote: I'm actually asking if people care that non-grouped definitions go away (I'll revise my question so it makes more sense). It seems to me as just a more terse and informative way of presenting data, but people have their own workflows, and I wanted to make sure that I'm not deleting something that is actually useful.

When you add definitions to Anki, you get what looks pretty similar to what is in the definition window. So if you have grouping enabled, you will get cards with grouped definitions, otherwise they will be split apart.

Please don't remove functionality just because. Choice is good. That's my opinion on it.
ryuudou Wrote:Please don't remove functionality just because. Choice is good.
Well, to be fair is not "just because". Simplifying the code means making this extension's development and growth -and in the end, FooSoft's life- easier in the long run. Choice is good, of course, but sometimes it comes at a cost.

As I said before, I like this feature too, but to me it's more like visual candy than something that, say, saves some seconds of my life everytime I use the extension.
I'm sure your opinion got noted, but it'd be great to know *why* it's useful to you, specially if you want to convince FooSoft of not getting rid of it ;-)
Audio's not working for me today (with either option). Not on WWWJDIC either, so seems like a server problem again. Is this the case for other people too?
(2017-08-03, 1:31 pm)HelenF Wrote: Audio's not working for me today (with either option). Not on WWWJDIC either, so seems like a server problem again. Is this the case for other people too?

It appears that the audio server is down. For example, the following URL does not load: https://assets.languagepod101.com/dictio...p?id=36601

One of the things I'm working on is adding other audio sources so when that happens, you will be able to switch to something like jisho audio.
Someone's posted an archive of the WWWJDIC audio:
http://jptxt.net/edict-and-kanjidic.html

I was thinking it would be possible to have a local webserver script that pulls the requested file out of the tar.
(2017-08-04, 4:17 am)HelenF Wrote: Someone's posted an archive of the WWWJDIC audio:
http://jptxt.net/edict-and-kanjidic.html

I was thinking it would be possible to have a local webserver script that pulls the requested file out of the tar.

This is definitely possible, and it would make a good "alternate" source. I don't want to switch to offline files by default because setting up a local server is not something that most people would or could do (even if detailed instructions were provided).

The ideal case would be just me hosting the audio on my own server, but I think that is pretty shady in terms of copyright and intellectual property concerns.
Looks like the audio is working again.
New version 1.3.0 has been released. A lot of work went into this release to simplify the codebase by making use of new JavaScript features. This will make it easy to add new features in future releases. The code is in really good shape.

As for feature changes:
+ Support forgetting audio from Jisho.org (when Jpod101 goes down).
+ Add button to open newly created definitions in Anki card browser (requires most recent version of AnkiConnect).
+ Fix flicker when mousing over textboxes and textareas.
+ The "off" button is now a different color in order to not look like a pending notification.
+ Upgrade to most recent of version of WanaKana to fix double consonant input issues on term search page.
+ Add {glossary-brief} marker which excludes "tags" (dictionary, parts of speech, etc).

Enjoy.

Aside for Firefox users:
Minimum version requirement has changed from Firefox 51 to Firefox 52. Firefox 53 has extremely buggy IndexedDB support so you probably shouldn't be using that either.
Edited: 2017-08-17, 9:43 pm
(2017-08-17, 9:36 pm)FooSoft Wrote: New version 1.3.0 has been released. 
On the search page I get for each search I do a separate small window telling "Error: failed to execute network request"
(2017-08-18, 6:40 pm)Matthias Wrote:
(2017-08-17, 9:36 pm)FooSoft Wrote: New version 1.3.0 has been released. 
On the search page I get for each search I do a separate small window telling "Error: failed to execute network request"

This is happening because you have Anki integration enabled but Anki is not running in the background. Yomichan is trying to ask Anki about the state of the displayed cards but failing to do so. I usually explicitly hide this error, but it must have gotten un-hidden during my refactor. I'll fix it later today or tomorrow.
Edited: 2017-08-18, 8:05 pm
(2017-08-18, 8:04 pm)FooSoft Wrote: This is happening because you have Anki integration enabled but Anki is not running in the background. Yomichan is trying to ask Anki about the state of the displayed cards but failing to do so. I usually explicitly hide this error, but it must have gotten un-hidden during my refactor. I'll fix it later today or tomorrow.
Yes, you are right. It never caused an issue so far, but I just disabled it now and everything is good again. Thanks!
It seems like there is a lot of whitespace added to the fields in this new version. The cards render correctly (I assume because HTML strips out the whitespace), but if you go into the field in Anki browser, there is a lot of whitespace before (and sometimes after) the text that has been added.

I really like the "go to just created card" feature, by the way.

This add-on is incredible!
(2017-08-18, 10:32 pm)kanjidude Wrote: It seems like there is a lot of whitespace added to the fields in this new version.  The cards render correctly (I assume because HTML strips out the whitespace), but if you go into the field in Anki browser, there is a lot of whitespace before (and sometimes after)  the text that has been added.  

Make sure that you are running 1.3.1 (I pushed out an update this morning). It appears that something changed in Handlebars (the templating engine I use), and spaces started sneaking in. The update manually removes spaces from the output until I figure out what a proper fix is. Let me know if you are still seeing any problems in 1.3.1 (you shouldn't be).
(2017-08-18, 10:58 pm)FooSoft Wrote:
(2017-08-18, 10:32 pm)kanjidude Wrote: It seems like there is a lot of whitespace added to the fields in this new version.  The cards render correctly (I assume because HTML strips out the whitespace), but if you go into the field in Anki browser, there is a lot of whitespace before (and sometimes after)  the text that has been added.  

Make sure that you are running 1.3.1 (I pushed out an update this morning). It appears that something changed in Handlebars (the templating engine I use), and spaces started sneaking in. The update manually removes spaces from the output until I figure out what a proper fix is. Let me know if you are still seeing any problems in 1.3.1 (you shouldn't be).

All looks good, I am now running on 1.3.1 and there is no whitespace added in either Chrome or Firefox.  Sorry to trouble you, and once again thanks for the amazing add-on.
I had not been using Yomichan for some time and now, after installing version 1.3.1, I cannot trigger the dictionary search by pressing the shift key (I have not changed the default) while moving the mouse over Japanese text. Nothing happens. On the other hand, if I open the search window manually by clicking the magnifying lens, then enter the text by hand, it works fine, including the audio.

The problem exists both with Firefox and Chrome. I am using a Mac with OSX 10.11.6.

Am I missing something obvious? After reading the instruction, I could not find what is wrong.

Another minor problem, only with Firefox, is that clicking on a kanji in the dictionary popup does not trigger the display of the kanji information (stroke order diagram etc.)
The url displayed in the task bar is:
moz-extension://0f516a65-2ab1-9f48-aaac-e47f429c5dac/bg/search.html#

The latter feature, however, works fine with the Chrome version.
@kanjidude I have released Yomichan 1.3.2 which includes a couple of bugfixes including the Anki alert box on the search page.

@jmignot Sounds like things are pretty broken for you. Couple of questions to help narrow this down:
1) Do you have any extensions that could be interfering with Yomichan's content script? Try disabling them and restarting your browser. If this helps, I would love to know the extension that is causing the problem. This sounds like a very possible scenario to me.
2) After trying to look up words and not having anything come up, can you right click on the webpage and click "Inspect"? If you then go to the console tab you should see if there are any JavaScript errors that can help us track down what is going on.
3) Try using the AMO approved extension from the Firefox marketplace: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox.../yomichan/ . Does this version work for you?
4) When you click on Kanji in the definitions window does anything happen at all (go to a blank page) or something?
I've just added a new free dictionary, KireiCake. Lots of people were asking me to support it, so here it is. You can download the new dictionary ZIP file from https://foosoft.net/projects/yomichan/ as always.
(2017-08-19, 1:50 pm)FooSoft Wrote: @jmignot Sounds like things are pretty broken for you. Couple of questions to help narrow this down:
1) Do you have any extensions that could be interfering with Yomichan's content script? Try disabling them and restarting your browser. If this helps, I would love to know the extension that is causing the problem. This sounds like a very possible scenario to me.
2) After trying to look up words and not having anything come up, can you right click on the webpage and click "Inspect"? If you then go to the console tab you should see if there are any JavaScript errors that can help us track down what is going on.
3) Try using the AMO approved extension from the Firefox marketplace: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox.../yomichan/ . Does this version work for you?
4) When you click on Kanji in the definitions window does anything happen at all (go to a blank page) or something?

I have tried 1) and disactivated all Firefox extensions, then reactivated them gradually. Finally, everything was working and… I was unable to reproduce the problem! It could be that I was making tests on a dictionary page where most of the Japanese content was not compatible with Yomichan. I have seen this in a couple of cases. 
Anyhow, thank you for your help in sorting this out and for making this great extension available in the first place.
That is quite strange, jmignot -- at which point did Yomichan start working? Did you just disable everything and it fixed it for you? If you don't mind, could you tell me the list of extensions you use so I can try to repro the problem? Even if it's not a bug in Yomichan, I would still like to know if there is something I can do to work around other extensions.

Also, can you link me to the dictionary page that doesn't work with Yomichan? That sounds like a problem in of itself too.
(2017-08-20, 4:30 pm)FooSoft Wrote: That is quite strange, jmignot -- at which point did Yomichan start working? Did you just disable everything and it fixed it for you? If you don't mind, could you tell me the list of extensions you use so I can try to repro the problem? Even if it's not a bug in Yomichan, I would still like to know if there is something I can do to work around other extensions.

Also, can you link me to the dictionary page that doesn't work with Yomichan? That sounds like a problem in of itself too.

What I did was disabling everything, then reinstall by steps. At the end the problem was gone.
In fact I am not sure there is any evidence for extensions being responsible.

The dictionary page was http://www.kenkyusha.co.jp/collab/KanjiAlive/
In fact the "ここに検索結果が表示されます " sentence at the bottom does not trigger Yomichan and, as I realized afterwards, a lot of others are images, not text!

Perhaps you sould not worry too much about the problems I reported. I may not have been careful enough checking various possibilities before posting here. Sorry…
New release 1.3.4:

* Many improvements to overall furigana rendering.
* Added {furigana-plain} tag for Anki which places furigana in brackets (e.g. 食[た]べる).
* Better support for IFRAME elements.