Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

Does anybody care at all about the feature of having definitions *not* grouped by term (basically how Yomichan used to work a long time ago before definitions were grouped)? I'd like to delete this feature for the sake of code simplification, but wanted to see if anybody cares.
Edited: 2017-07-09, 8:58 pm
To be honest, at first I thought this feature just packed together definitions coming from *different* dictionaries, but by deactivating it I discovered it also packs together different definitions from *the same* dictionary as well, right?

Visually, it's true I prefer the grouped version, but can perfectly live without it.

Besides, I'm not using it with Anki (yet), so I'm curious: when adding definitions to a deck, does it add every grouped definition, or just one of them? What does change, between having it active or inactive, when adding words to Anki? Maybe the non-grouped version makes more sense when doing so...
I'm actually asking if people care that non-grouped definitions go away (I'll revise my question so it makes more sense). It seems to me as just a more terse and informative way of presenting data, but people have their own workflows, and I wanted to make sure that I'm not deleting something that is actually useful.

When you add definitions to Anki, you get what looks pretty similar to what is in the definition window. So if you have grouping enabled, you will get cards with grouped definitions, otherwise they will be split apart.
JapanesePod101
I remember someone earlier in this thread wanted them non-grouped (for adding to Anki).

Right, found it.

https://forum.koohii.com/thread-13742-po...#pid240785
https://forum.koohii.com/thread-13742-po...#pid240855

xtreme1 Wrote:I tend to keep my J-J and E-J cards separate and generate reading for their {glossary-list} equivalents.
I definitely wouldn't want the entries between J-J and E-J combined.
Edited: 2017-07-10, 6:20 am
(2017-07-09, 8:56 pm)FooSoft Wrote: I'm actually asking if people care that non-grouped definitions go away (I'll revise my question so it makes more sense). It seems to me as just a more terse and informative way of presenting data, but people have their own workflows, and I wanted to make sure that I'm not deleting something that is actually useful.

When you add definitions to Anki, you get what looks pretty similar to what is in the definition window. So if you have grouping enabled, you will get cards with grouped definitions, otherwise they will be split apart.

Please don't remove functionality just because. Choice is good. That's my opinion on it.
ryuudou Wrote:Please don't remove functionality just because. Choice is good.
Well, to be fair is not "just because". Simplifying the code means making this extension's development and growth -and in the end, FooSoft's life- easier in the long run. Choice is good, of course, but sometimes it comes at a cost.

As I said before, I like this feature too, but to me it's more like visual candy than something that, say, saves some seconds of my life everytime I use the extension.
I'm sure your opinion got noted, but it'd be great to know *why* it's useful to you, specially if you want to convince FooSoft of not getting rid of it ;-)