Back

Yomichan (JP dictionary for Chrome/Firefox + EPWING + auto flashcards)

I would honestly not be surprised at all if languagepod just got fed up with everybody mooching their assets and decided to change the naming scheme to break everyone. Does anyone know where these audio files are referenced on the actual languagepod website?

Maybe they changed their naming scheme from:

https://assets.languagepod101.com/dictio...C%E3%81%86

To something different?

Confirmed, new ULRs are in this format:

https://assets.languagepod101.com/dictio...p?id=46568

This will obviously no longer work. RIP audio support.
Edited: 2017-03-21, 4:13 pm
If Jpod changed it on purpose, I would have thought they would work with WWWJDIC so as not to break that. I guess we'll need to see what WWWJDIC does.

I think the URLs with the numbers have been in use for a while, in addition to the kanji/kana ones.

Someone bulk-downloaded the audio a few years back and shared it around. I wonder if it's practical to do something with that. You wouldn't be able to ship it with Yomichan because of copyright (and it's 1.6G).

Probably wait and see for a while anyway. It could still be an accident.
Yomichan-Import has been updated with support for 故事ことわざの辞典

(2017-03-21, 5:06 pm)HelenF Wrote: If Jpod changed it on purpose, I would have thought they would work with WWWJDIC so as not to break that. I guess we'll need to see what WWWJDIC does.

I think the URLs with the numbers have been in use for a while, in addition to the kanji/kana ones.

Someone bulk-downloaded the audio a few years back and shared it around. I wonder if it's practical to do something with that. You wouldn't be able to ship it with Yomichan because of copyright (and it's 1.6G).

Probably wait and see for a while anyway. It could still be an accident.

Was WWWJDIC using it with any sort of permission, or were they leeching just like everyone else? I honestly can't say that I blame them for shutting this down if there was no agreement to provide this service; I would have probably done the same if it were on my server.

The audio data archive would probably not be very useful in a numbered format since the IDs only have meaning if they are paired with the expression texts. Even if we were able to somehow resolve it, we would still have to find a place to host it (would definitely not risk putting their data on my site). 

We could do something really lame like scrape the jpod101 search page results to extract the IDs, but that would just be pretty ridiculous in terms of being a pretty nasty hack. I guess we can just wait and see what happens....
Edited: 2017-03-21, 11:21 pm
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
wow that's really unfortunate. If you had a decent word list it wouldn't be too doable to crawl the site and dump a database of words to make a mirror service. I was wondering why my JGlossator stopped reading audio.

Any ideas how Jisho is getting their audio? http://d1vjc5dkcd3yh2.cloudfront.net/aud...0dace2.mp3
Edited: 2017-03-21, 11:39 pm
I'll dive into Jisho code and see what they are doing. I was also just thinking that maybe it would not be the end of the world to scrape languagepod101 and get the mp3 filename out that way. Query just gets submitted via a form post and you get a result that looks like this:

Code:
<div class="dc-box--f4f5f8 dc-result-header">
    <input type="checkbox" id="dc-select-all" value="true" class="sky-checkbox-a20"disabled = 'disabled' checked = 'checked' >
    <label for="dc-select-all" class="dc-select-all"></label>
    <div class="dc-found-text">Found 1 entries</div>
    <div class="dc-pagination r101-pagination--a">
            </div>
</div>
        <div class="dc-box--white dc-result-row">
            <div class="dc-result-row__checkbox-field">
                <input type="checkbox" id="dc-result-checkbox-80386" value="80386" class="sky-checkbox-a20 dc-result-checkbox__checkbox"disabled = 'disabled' checked = 'checked' >
                <label for="dc-result-checkbox-80386" class="dc-result-checkbox"></label>
            </div>
            <div class='dc-result-row__player-field'>
                <div class='ill-onebuttonplayer s33x33px' data-url='https://assets.languagepod101.com/dictionary/japanese/audiomp3.php?id=80386' data-type='audio/mp3'></div>            </div>
            <div class="dc-result-row__vocab-field">
                <span class="dc-vocab-wrap">
                    <span class='dc-vocab'>耐える</span>                </span>
                <span class='dc-vocab_kana'>たえる</span><span class='dc-vocab_romanization'>taeru</span>            </div>
            <div class="dc-result-row__english-field">
                <span class='dc-english'><span class='dc-english-digit'>1.</span> to bear, to stand, to endure, to put up with <span class='dc-english-grey'>(v1)</span>   <span class='dc-english-grey'>(v1)</span> <br><span class='dc-english-digit'>2.</span> to support, to withstand, to resist, to brave <span class='dc-english-grey'>(v1)</span>   <span class='dc-english-grey'>(v1)</span> <br><span class='dc-english-digit'>3.</span> to be fit for, to be equal to  <span class='dc-english-grey'>(v1)</span> </span>            </div>
        </div>
<div class="dc-box--white dc-wordbank-buttons">
    <div class="dc-wb-button-wrap">
        <span class="r101-button--g ill-ease-background-color tooltip" id="dc-add-to-wb-button" title="Upgrade to Access Premium Content" onclick="window.location='/learningcenter/account/wordbank';return 0;">Add Selected Words to My Word Bank</span>
    </div>
    <span class="dc-wb-link tooltip" id="dc-wb-link" title="Upgrade to Access Premium Content" onclick="window.location='/learningcenter/account/wordbank';return 0;">Go to My Word Bank</span>
</div>

It's a total hack but in reality it should only slow down playback by a second or two.

edit: The filenames used by Jisho appear to be md5 hashes. I would not be surprised if they were built from the terms themselves, but I wasn't able to get a matching hash just from messing around with rearranging the readings and expressions /shrug
Edited: 2017-03-22, 12:20 am
Is sourcing the audio from a 3rd party like Forvo or Jisho be a viable option?

Sucks to lose the audio support as it immensely helped with pronunciation.

Anyway, hope it's fixed soon~
(2017-03-21, 11:11 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Was WWWJDIC using it with any sort of permission, or were they leeching just like everyone else? I honestly can't say that I blame them for shutting this down if there was no agreement to provide this service; I would have probably done the same if it were on my server.
IIRC, WWWJDIC had something to do with its existence in the first place, but I can't remember where I might have read that. WWWJDIC also has a special referral link to Jpod that doesn't follow the usual affiliate link scheme:
Code:
http://www.japanesepod101.com/?src=wwwjdic
If Jpod had only recorded the audio for their own use, I think the number of files would be 10x less.

Quote:The audio data archive would probably not be very useful in a numbered format since the IDs only have meaning if they are paired with the expression texts. Even if we were able to somehow resolve it, we would still have to find a place to host it (would definitely not risk putting their data on my site).
The old audio data archive has kanji/kana filenames.

If we had a mapping from kanji/kana to ID numbers, we could carry on leeching from the Jpod server (unless they put a stop to that too).
Edited: 2017-03-22, 9:40 am
Feature ask (maybe it's been asked before): Is it possible to have an option for the selected word in a sentence to be added to Anki with the trigger word bolded? E.g., in the sentence:

だが、市場問題に携わったのは01年文書を結ぶ前までだとし、「私のどこに責任があるのか」と気色ばんだ。

- if I hover over 気色ばんだ and then add 気色ばむ to Anki, I'd like the sentence to include bolding around 気色ばんだ。

This is something I do manually in my deck right now and find very useful, esp. since I've moved the sentence to the front of my cards. It helps me focus on the area of the sentence containing the vocab item I care about.
(2017-03-21, 11:11 pm)FooSoft Wrote: We could do something really lame like scrape the jpod101 search page results to extract the IDs, but that would just be pretty ridiculous in terms of being a pretty nasty hack. I guess we can just wait and see what happens....

I wonder if simply asking them nicely would get any traction. Especially if yomichan offered to non-intrusive way of driving traffic to their site like a small hotlinked symbol which went somewhere useful on the jpod101 site.
I also can't seem to enable buttons for anki. they all are gray.
Read through help page but dunno what I'm doing wrong, set the fields with exact names. Confused
Im running it on chrome.
Please help T_T 
[Image: 6SuTEPzKwIs.jpg]
Edited: 2017-03-23, 5:43 am
(2017-03-22, 8:25 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: Feature ask (maybe it's been asked before): Is it possible to have an option for the selected word in a sentence to be added to Anki with the trigger word bolded?

Discussion on GitHub:
https://github.com/FooSoft/yomichan/issues/28

FooSoft suggested splitting the sentence into {sentence-before}, {sentence-target}, and {sentence-after} fields.

I think it would be good to also offer {sentence-bold} with the target word in <b> tags. Most people seem to want bold; and it is actually possible to override the appearance of <b> with CSS if you want some other formatting.

(2017-03-23, 1:07 am)yogert909 Wrote: I wonder if simply asking them nicely would get any traction. Especially if yomichan offered to non-intrusive way of driving traffic to their site like a small hotlinked symbol which went somewhere useful on the jpod101 site.

That might be the thing to do. (Though drawing attention to oneself by asking could prevent doing anything else if they say no.)

(2017-03-23, 5:43 am)nakinagi Wrote: I also can't seem to enable buttons for anki. they all are gray.

If the buttons are grey, Yomichan is connecting to Anki, but Anki doesn't want to create the card.

Make sure "expression" is the first field in Anki, and run Anki's "check database".

FooSoft: Is there an easy way for new users to set up a note type for Yomichan if they don't have a suitable one? If not, that might be worth thinking about. An Anki shared deck could be a quick and simple solution.
(2017-03-23, 1:07 am)yogert909 Wrote:
(2017-03-21, 11:11 pm)FooSoft Wrote: We could do something really lame like scrape the jpod101 search page results to extract the IDs, but that would just be pretty ridiculous in terms of being a pretty nasty hack. I guess we can just wait and see what happens....

I wonder if simply asking them nicely would get any traction.  Especially if yomichan offered to non-intrusive way of driving traffic to their site like a small hotlinked symbol which went somewhere useful on the jpod101 site.

I've already managed to work around this with some hackery. Will probably have a new release out later today or tomorrow.

(2017-03-23, 5:43 am)nakinagi Wrote: I also can't seem to enable buttons for anki. they all are gray.
Read through help page but dunno what I'm doing wrong, set the fields with exact names. Confused
Im running it on chrome.
Please help T_T 
[Image: 6SuTEPzKwIs.jpg]

Your first field in the model should be a unique one, for example the expression. Right now audio is busted, so audio will always be an empty string, making cards past the first one be non-unique.

(2017-03-23, 9:57 am)HelenF Wrote: FooSoft: Is there an easy way for new users to set up a note type for Yomichan if they don't have a suitable one? If not, that might be worth thinking about. An Anki shared deck could be a quick and simple solution.

There isn't one right now, mostly because coding additional interop between Anki and Yomichan takes time and I also want to keep the surface area of the AnkiConnect API as small as possible. Shared decks for Kanji and Vocab cards would probably be the way to go.
Edited: 2017-03-23, 11:07 am
(2017-03-23, 9:57 am)HelenF Wrote:

If the buttons are grey, Yomichan is connecting to Anki, but Anki doesn't want to create the card.

Make sure "expression" is the first field in Anki, and run Anki's "check database".

FooSoft: Is there an easy way for new users to set up a note type for Yomichan if they don't have a suitable one? If not, that might be worth thinking about. An Anki shared deck could be a quick and simple solution.

Thank you! Now everything works~!

Also a deck for yomichan is not a bad idea. Or at least more detailed instructions about how to make it work would be nice. =)
Uploaded 1.1.7, audio playback now works again Smile
Please don't think too much about how this works now.
Thank you, FooSoft! Now it works as expected on Firefox too! (for some reason -maybe I'm at fault, I don't know- version 1.1.6, even after removing yomichan, restarting firefox, reinstalling the extension and restarting firefox again, showed as "1.1.0" on the extension's options pane, and some elements weren't present -namely popup size options and the back button in the kanji dict-). Also, this time reinstalling didn't break my settings ;-)
(2017-03-23, 10:13 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Please don't think too much about how this works now.

Angel
(2017-03-23, 10:13 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Uploaded 1.1.7, audio playback now works again Smile

That comment exists in about half of the code I write...
Working great today, thanks!
(2017-03-23, 10:13 pm)FooSoft Wrote: Uploaded 1.1.7, audio playback now works again Smile

Props to you for getting it to work, for a hack you kept the code pretty darn clean.  Very nice work
New release 1.1.8:

* Fixed some lingering issues with audio playback.
* Hotkeys added for most actions (mouse over buttons to see them).

For example, Alt + Insert opens search page, Alt + Delete toggles extension, then you also have lots of hotkeys on the actual definitions page...
(2017-03-25, 8:25 pm)FooSoft Wrote: New release 1.1.8:

* Fixed some lingering issues with audio playback.
* Hotkeys added for most actions (mouse over buttons to see them).

For example, Alt + Insert opens search page, Alt + Delete toggles extension, then you also have lots of hotkeys on the actual definitions page...
fantastic additions Heart Heart Heart

Noticing some strange behavior around the highlighting behavior now. Not sure what it means, but Chrome used to highlight selections with blue, from which I could copy with a ctl+C with ease. Now it only highlights with grey, which doesn't get picked up when I use the copy hotkey. It seems like the highlighted part is losing focus right away for some reason? Using the auto-highlight, fyi.

Also is it possible to indicate when the plugin is turned on/off from the icon? Or does FF not allow for you to be consistent with that?
Edited: 2017-03-25, 10:25 pm
The popup window window gets focus now (it has to in order for the shortcuts within it to work).
An indicator icon for on/off status will work in Firefox as well, so I will probably add that in.
(2017-03-25, 10:29 pm)FooSoft Wrote: The popup window window gets focus now (it has to in order for the shortcuts within it to work).
An indicator icon for on/off status will work in Firefox as well, so I will probably add that in.

I use the highlighting all the time to search for it in anki before I add it with Yomichan. Would it be possible to make that as a feature toggle - hotkeys vs highlighting? Or allow the plugin to copy the hightlighted area to clipboard on ctrl-C?
Edited: 2017-03-25, 11:50 pm
Definitely don't want to do a toggle -- that would be confusing. A hotkey might work, don't know about Ctrl + C though.
Why are you searching for things in Anki btw?
(2017-03-26, 12:18 am)FooSoft Wrote: Definitely don't want to do a toggle -- that would be confusing. A hotkey might work, don't know about Ctrl + C though.
Why are you searching for things in Anki btw?

I have about 200k sentence cards in anki, collected and formatted uniformly. I search for words I don't know there first, and unsuspend it if it looks good. If it's not in one of my premade cards, I use yomichan to add it to the decks. So there's a lot of copying from jisho/weblio to anki's search browser. For me, my ideal flow would be triggering searches from the browser with a hotkey to see if that word exists in any other deck - but that's just me.

It seems if something is highlighted it ought to be copy-able, and it would be ideal to use whatever is the OS copy hotkey. I'm noticing other plugins are capable of having hotkeys without taking focus from selected areas (rikaigu, particularly). Is this an iframe side-effect?
Edited: 2017-03-26, 1:19 am