Back

2016 JLPT N4-N5 thread

So we currently have (at least!) three active N4 threads in General discussion, but hardly anybody ever makes N4 or N5 threads on this forum (the last thread with N4 in the title was from 2013).

Anyone planning on taking the N4 or N5 this year? Not me, I've passed the N1.
Edited: 2016-05-12, 8:33 am
I want to test my japanese with jlpt but i was wondering what level i should aim for my first try.
I've done Rtk1, genki1 and 1500 vocabs from core10k till now.

Maybe i will start with N4. Who knows
I plan to take JLPT N4 in July this year. However, I am quite worried because there are 4 months left and I haven't been able to study much. Hopefully I will be able to pass. I am curious, how many of you using this forum are planing to take JLPT N4 in July and what kind of resources are you using? Also what do you guys do to motivate yourself to study and what kind of study routine do you have? Big Grin  

P.S. Besides passing JLPT N4, I also plan to go to Japan this year. I haven't decided yet if it is going to be through volunteering or homestay or just a short trip planned by myself but it motivates me to learn more, even though I know JLPT does not test speaking.  Blush

How many of you plan to go to Japan this year? I am looking forward to your replies Wink
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
For some listening resources:

http://nihongo.hum.tmu.ac.jp/mic-j/home-e.html
Practice listening tests.

http://delvinlanguage.com/
Using clips from media as practice. Both sites for all jlpt levels.

[EDIT]
http://www.erin.ne.jp/ Erin's Challenge. Watch short skits with controlled subs (or no sub if you're up for the challenge).
Edited: 2016-05-12, 12:53 pm
I think I might take N4 this year. Just finished Genki I and reasonably sure I could do Genki II by the end of July.

I need to reinvest time in RTK, but right now I'm enamored by my ability to browse through my favorites. Love going through アイシールド21 (GOAT sports manga) and I just got my copy of 逆転裁判4 yesterday ($10!) which I played until midnight =_=

I can't say I truly understand a lot, but I am extremely surprised at how much I do get. Helps that I'm very familiar with the material, and I have a lot of patience for reading things I'm a fan of. Going to be using both for sentance mining. Since one of my ultimate goals is to play 大逆転裁判, mining The 4th game will be really helpful .

I see N4 as just a fun opportunity. I'll probably legit study for it in October/November but for now I'm just going to enjoy learning. My goal is to get through a significant portion of Tobira by the end of the year.
Edited: 2016-05-13, 1:31 pm
You should take the J-CAT to see what parts of the language you might need some focus on. Here is the forum topic on it. You can retake in 6 months to track progress.

I took the J-CAT in February and ended up with a terrible score in grammar. Depending on how much improvement I make on the second attempt at the J-CAT in August, I might step down a level and aim for N4. I have never taken the JLPT before.
(2016-05-13, 1:41 pm)RawrPk Wrote: You should take the J-CAT to see what parts of the language you might need some focus on. Here is the forum topic on it. You can retake in 6 months to track progress.

I took the J-CAT in February and ended up with a terrible score in grammar. Depending on how much improvement I make on the second attempt at the J-CAT in August, I might step down a level and aim for N4. I have never taken the JLPT before.
Excellent idea. I know I'm pretty terrible at listening so that would be good to get a benchmark on. I have online tutoring 1-2 times/week which has been helping lots though.
Hi, does anyone have a link to the statistics for the December 2016 N5?  Thanks.
(2017-04-13, 12:49 pm)phil321 Wrote: Hi, does anyone have a link to the statistics for the December 2016 N5?  Thanks.

ehh, they just published the statistics today, I totally didn't know
http://jlpt.jp/e/statistics/archive/201602.html
(2017-04-13, 1:52 pm)sumsum Wrote:
(2017-04-13, 12:49 pm)phil321 Wrote: Hi, does anyone have a link to the statistics for the December 2016 N5?  Thanks.

ehh, they just published the statistics today, I totally didn't know
http://jlpt.jp/e/statistics/archive/201602.html

Thanks so much!  I am totally grateful!

The overall pass rate for the N5 was only 48.2%.  I'm not surprised because I thought it was sort of difficult (but I did pass).
こんにちわ, わたしわあみたさんですおはようございむます, i will appear for jlpt n5 this year , will need your guidance and support...thanks
( ´ ▽ ` )ノ  Jinister/あみたさん、forum.koohii.comへようこそ!

If you don't mind me taking your word about guidance so soon, allow me to point out two mistakes I think you made when writing that Japanese sentence:

1. 「わ」 vs 「は」. At the beginning, it should be 「こんにち 」. Likewise, after the comma, it should be 「わたし 」.
2. At the end, there's an extra 「む」. It should be 「おはようございます」, not 「おはようござい ます」.

(additionally, I'm not advanced enough to know for sure, but using first 「こんにちは」 and then 「おはようございます」 doesn't sound quite right.)

Anyway, don't let this get you down! ;-). We all make this kind of mistakes, specially at the beginner stage. For instance, my fist written text had 「オ」 (yeah, in katakana) all over the place instead of the correct 「を」 after every direct object. Reviewing it later hurt so much that I never made such a mistake again  d^_^; b. I remember another member's story about mixing up "wake me up" ( 起こす 「おこす」 )  with "rape me up"  ( 犯す 「おかす」 )  when he was staying at a Japanese house X^D.

Actually, that's the most important part of learning a language: Don't be afraid of making mistakes! Those times are when you learn the most, really!

頑張ってね!