Back

Beyond JLPT N1

Hello harahachibu,
I did not find any updates on the Gacco site. Have you tried any of those? I have signed up for some courses at EdX, but I was thinking about trying Gacco too, I just did not really have time yet, so any opinion would be nice.
Vocab test: I got 6660 -- I bet there were quite a few I'd have got if the prompts hadn't been kana-only... (and 30500 on the Rnglish version)
Edited: 2018-01-07, 5:20 pm
I got 7490, much lower than the last test I took. Apparently I'm also equivalent to a ten year old so I guess it's a pretty wide range. The later compound words were really hard and I just had to guess most of them tbh.

I tried English too and got 30,150 which is about 4 times as high as my Japanese score. I honestly don't think the disparity can be that big, since I can read a lot of Japanese quite comfortably and am not free from unknown words even in English, but maybe it's due to the fall off in word frequency between the most/least common words? Would be interested in what others think.
Edited: 2018-01-07, 8:06 pm
JapanesePod101
(2018-01-07, 4:27 pm)Bery. Wrote: Hello harahachibu,
I did not find any updates on the Gacco site. Have you tried any of those? I have signed up for some courses at EdX, but I was thinking about trying Gacco too, I just did not really have time yet, so any opinion would be nice.

Hi Bery,

I never did get around to taking any Gacco classes.  When I looked, there weren't really any classes that sounded appealing to me.  I just checked again and now it looks like they have a lot more classes, so maybe it's worth a look again.  Sorry I can't be of more help!
(2018-01-07, 11:30 pm)harahachibu Wrote:
(2018-01-07, 4:27 pm)Bery. Wrote: Hello harahachibu,

Hi Bery,

I never did get around to taking any Gacco classes.  When I looked, there weren't really any classes that sounded appealing to me.  I just checked again and now it looks like they have a lot more classes, so maybe it's worth a look again.  Sorry I can't be of more help!

No problem, I understand quite well. I usually take data science classes on EdX and I can't really imagine studying statistics in Japanese. But I took Data analysis and visualization in Excel in Japanese on EdX and that was pretty good, though not for beginners with Excel.
(2018-01-07, 3:55 pm)harahachibu Wrote: So the vocab test that tanaquil linked to last year has unfortunately disappeared.  Instead, I just searched around on Google and went to the first one I found:

https://www.arealme.com/japanese-vocabul...e-test/ja/

It's 50 questions, it asks for either the synonym or antonym of a word and you choose from out of 4 choices.

I scored 11,760 words, "about equivalent to a 10-year old child" haha.  It's much lower than the 19,000 word score from the other test last year.  It's a shame the methodologies are different so I can't compare with last year to see if I've improved vocabulary-wise.  I guess I'll have to do another J-CAT to compare.

Just for fun I also took it for English:

https://www.arealme.com/vocabulary-size-test/en/

I scored 29,800 words in English, which isn't too off from my score on the quiz I tried last year (http://testyourvocab.com/blog/)

That was fun.
6480 in Japanese and 30,500 in English. Seems about right. When they broke out the yojijukugo I knew I was a goner. Smile
[Image: ZZliiIf.png]

Dunno if that's good or not, towards the end they were becoming impossible and I was completely guessing.

[Image: YuGuelN.png]

English is my first language and I didn't do much better than my Japanese score... Again found myself guessing some of them entirely by the end.

[Image: ImZkccX.png]

Well this has cheered me up a bit after getting that vocabulary result.
Edited: 2018-01-09, 2:27 pm
(2018-01-09, 1:49 pm)Roketzu Wrote: [Image: ZZliiIf.png]

Dunno if that's good or not, towards the end they were becoming impossible and I was completely guessing.

I feel so useless right now, I got around 5-6k... How do you even build such a vocabulary?
(2018-01-09, 2:06 pm)Bery. Wrote:
(2018-01-09, 1:49 pm)Roketzu Wrote: [Image: ZZliiIf.png]

I feel so useless right now, I got around 5-6k... How do you even build such a vocabulary?

Having over 1300 hours purely on my Anki vocab deck probably. I think I've actually put a lot more time into building it than reviewing it, too...

[Image: vUreA74.png]

I also read books on my kindle, but that feels more like entertainment than study.
Edited: 2018-01-09, 2:14 pm
Remember kids, ruining your life with Anki gets you places (maybe perhaps).

[Image: NWO9vCn.png]

Also there's this I guess.

[Image: 2cIA4xh.png]

Anyway, I wouldn't really take these tests all that seriously.
Edited: 2018-01-09, 3:49 pm
I got the same score too! I also guessed towards the end too because either i don't know the word or i need the kanji to get more context... the test is bs anyway... I too attest to the wonders of anki. i have about 10,000 cards in one deck, 2000 in another, and 1000 in another... (just inevitably over the years. I don't use pre-made cards/decks with the exception of remember the kanji)

30,000 cards sounds like a lot! was it pre-made cards and also cards you made yourself or was they all mined by you?
Edited: 2018-01-09, 4:58 pm
Those of you who got those 20K+ scores, do you find that translates to (for instance) being able to read a newspaper article easily? (I tend to find all those abstract nouns a pain...)
Eng:
JP:

Man, I clearly rely on kanji too much...

Incidentally, that's about 5000 less than other estimates (and definitely lower than my passive vocabulary in general). I don't think any of these kinds of tests are that accurate though, especially at the low end.

BTW, I was going to post the images, but the regular link doesn't work on this site, and I'm too lazy to login to imgur...

EDIT:
Oh, and for English, I had to guess on some of the words that you'd only really see in classic English literature. I haven't read all that many old classics (only a few of Shakespeare's plays and other things you'd come across in a literature class; not really anything that old as a hobby).
Edited: 2018-01-09, 7:19 pm
(2018-01-09, 5:07 pm)pm215 Wrote: Those of you who got those 20K+ scores, do you find that translates to (for instance) being able to read a newspaper article easily? (I tend to find all those abstract nouns a pain...)

But what do you mean by newspaper article since there's so many and some are very easy to read because they're just written in an easy to read way. MAYBE post some articles so it's more clear. If it's political or economic crap i have no interest in it may have words that are really specific (technical/specialized vocab) to that i would have to look up the word or pretend/assume/hope i understand what the word means based on the kanji that make up the word. i HAVE A big vocabulary from reading a lot and using anki but I read fiction books and mostly whatever I am interested in as far as news articles go (the articles about japanese entertainment or interesting topics).
Edited: 2018-01-09, 8:32 pm
Even if fun, I can say the test is pretty useless:

Code:
English   29450
Português 27740
Français  26820
Español   24260
日本語     11580

(Once again, I'm pretty good at guessing, but...)

It's not just that my Japanese is nowhere near 11580 -the level of a regular 10-years-old Japanese kid, apparently-, but that my worst score among the other four was Spanish. Taking into account I'm a native Spanish speaker and fairly sure every single question was correctly answered by me in that language (I repeated the test with a dictionary by my side -another browser tab- just to double-check), that my French is pretty rusty this days -I was guessing most of the time- and my Portuguese is just "acquired by osmosis" (as a native Galician speaker who otherwise never studied Portuguese formally, thus can understand it almost perfectly and communicate with minor problems, but can't be said to really speak it), the results make no sense (unless the Spanish test is severely broken and the score should have really been closer to, extrapolating, 35000 or higher)
(2018-01-09, 4:31 pm)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: 30,000 cards sounds like a lot! was it pre-made cards and also cards you made yourself or was they all mined by you?

I made them all myself, no automation at all for the first 12k or so, then after that I used Rikaisama and its import function for words I wanted to add. Even then I still use different dictionaries to add the best Japanese definition and example sentence I can find.

(2018-01-09, 5:07 pm)pm215 Wrote: Those of you who got those 20K+ scores, do you find that translates to (for instance) being able to read a newspaper article easily? (I tend to find all those abstract nouns a pain...)

I can read and understand them well enough, and I have an interest in (and have read a lot of) non-fiction crime stories so that probably helps, but I definitely don't breeze through them or anything. The names of various government agencies and the positions certain people hold make my understanding feel somewhat murky because I just can't translate them to anything familiar in my mind.
(2018-01-09, 1:49 pm)Roketzu Wrote: Having over 1300 hours purely on my Anki vocab deck probably. I think I've actually put a lot more time into building it than reviewing it, too...

Oh my, I will have to start using Anki too. I don't think I would have patience to build it up completely, so I will have to find some resources.
The test is extremely easy except for final questions but they are guessable enough.
[Image: fDUjbC5.png]
I don't know what they actually mean by "knowing a word"