Back

My humble 2016 JLPT N3 thread

(2016-12-04, 8:07 am)ariariari Wrote: For those of you who participated in the thread: how was it for you? Did it help? Do you think that you'll continue to study Japanese in 2017?

I think the thread helped a lot motivation wise. The forum in general (especially this thread) was something to look forward to during my rough times in my life, of which I am again going through. Sad I like knowing that there are people like me learning the same thing (or similar) and us growing together. My year hasn't been the greatest, but at least I know I still have something to be proud of; and that is my progress in Japanese! I have never progressed this much self-studying before and I hope to do better for the upcoming year!
-shakes vocab deck-

WHY DO YOU NOT DROP YET

I want my reviews to drop down so I can add new cards, but it feels like they keep multiplying instead...okay, not really, but they're about a consistent amount. Soon...soon...
(2016-12-08, 10:09 am)nohika Wrote: -shakes vocab deck-

WHY DO YOU NOT DROP YET

I want my reviews to drop down so I can add new cards, but it feels like they keep multiplying instead...okay, not really, but they're about a consistent amount. Soon...soon...

LOL!

Yeah, the bad news is that I think it really did take me weeks to get a big fat decrease.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but I'm about to sign a contract to lease space at a coworking space run by a Japanese company that has lots of Japanese tenants.

I've stopped being consistent with anki since hitting the JLPT milestone. But if I pull the trigger on this contract it might give me some more motivation.
Breakthrough Sale! Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! (until March 2)
JapanesePod101
Mmm, my reviews dropped fairly quickly from 150-180 down to more like 120 when I finished adding core10k cards, but since then have been holding pretty steady. I was hoping they'd dip below 100 :-(
(2016-12-08, 10:56 am)pm215 Wrote: Mmm, my reviews dropped fairly quickly from 150-180 down to more like 120 when I finished adding core10k cards, but since then have been holding pretty steady. I was hoping they'd dip below 100 :-(

Yeah, I can relate. I have a few graphs I posted on this tread and others of the impact of stopping adding cards and continuing to do all my reviews. Those numbers sounds familiar to me - a sharp drop over say the first 1-3 weeks, and then a bit slower to go further down.
If anyone is looking for a series to watch that has decently easy language (most of the time) and isn't aimed at young girls, Initial D is pretty great.

Started watching it on a whim on Youtube and I'm hooked. While there are more technical conversations, if you know a bit about cars you should be fine. And the plot is super easy: guy races other guy, guy dates girl, etc.

I just finished the ガムテープデスマッチ race (holy shit) and eager for more. I definitely understand even more on my second/third listens as background.

I just put post-it notes over my computer screen where the subs are. Never feel the need to peek. The anime is super cheap on Amazon though ($18 is for the first season, 24 episodes)

Also. Best. Soundtrack. Ever: https://youtu.be/C4OCL66hOPM
(2016-12-08, 10:24 am)ariariari Wrote: LOL!

Yeah, the bad news is that I think it really did take me weeks to get a big fat decrease.

I haven't mentioned it yet, but I'm about to sign a contract to lease space at a coworking space run by a Japanese company that has lots of Japanese tenants.

I've stopped being consistent with anki since hitting the JLPT milestone. But if I pull the trigger on this contract it might give me some more motivation.

On the bright side, it's break, and I'm not taking classes next semester (just research credits), so hopefully by the new year I'll be adding stuff again. I'm mostly just happy to be maintaining right now, after a couple weeks of staying behind.

That'd be awesome! What would you be doing? :o

My goal is to continue to anki grammar and vocab until I can read somewhat comfortably (with fewer dictionary look-ups), but I dunno how long that'll be.
(2016-12-04, 8:07 am)ariariari Wrote: Overall, I'm thinking of not posting in this thread any more. Not leaving Japanese or the forum, but just not posting monthly anki stats updates and the like. The deadline of the exam kept me focused, and now that the deadline has passed, I'm just thinking that it's time for something new. Also, I'm wrapping up a long combined personal+business trip right now, and the time off is just generally giving me time to think things over.

For those of you who participated in the thread: how was it for you? Did it help? Do you think that you'll continue to study Japanese in 2017?

I have really enjoyed this thread. Thanks ariariari for starting it!  It kind of morphed from an N3 thread to a catch-all thread for people more or less the same level of Japanese which is nice.  Although I didn't keep up with it, I enjoyed following everybody's monthly stats posting too.
Edited: 2016-12-08, 6:47 pm
So I signed the "lease" and it starts Monday. Will let people know how it goes.

This morning I finished "Orange" Letter #2. The manga is divided into "letters", not chapters. Too bad the manga doesn't have page numbers, because I want credit for reading SO MANY PAGES Smile

Have only been doing anki sporadically. but it looks like I'm still at least doing *something* with the language.
The coworking space is fun. I got lucky - last night they had a bonenkai party, and I got to meet a few people.

It's not college - people aren't overly social. But I during the party I did get to have a few nice conversations. And a few people might be interested in meeting for coffee and chatting over language exchange.

For all the shirokuma fans out there: https://twitter.com/TheTorontoZoo/status...4323593216
Edited: 2016-12-13, 11:03 am
I finally got caught up with anki reviews, and am happy that they seem to be leveling out at < 100 vocab cards today.

I decided to start watching shirokuma again, and just finished episode 29.

Now that anki reviews went down, I went back to my shinkanzen kanji book. I added the remaining vocab from chapter 19 in anki. This is one of the biggest chapters in the book. After adding in the vocab, I'll go back and work through the chapter. There are only 25 chapters.

So I guess how quickly I go through it depends on how much big I want my anki review load to me. And right now that answer is "not very much!" And also, a lot of the vocab I do wind up adding in is from media or conversations, and not text books.
Yay I'm glad it's going well for you!

I'm finally caught up with reviews, focused on maintaining right now. I'll start adding new cards soon, but.
Waiting for the anki reviews to drop is the worst! It's true, the numbers will drop a small significant amount when you stop adding new material, but after that, waiting for the number to drop further can be soooo sloooooow. It's almost better to assume that you will stay at the same number of reviews forever, and be pleasantly surprised when they do actually go down eventually.

I am getting back into studying after two years away (N1 level) and I definitely find that adding only small amounts of material at a time works a lot better than adding massive amounts and burning out. Slow and steady.
So I have exciting news.

Some of you might recall that in 2014 I gave a talk at a Japanese conference in Japanese. That was really when and why I joined this forum.

Anyway, I just got an email that they would like me to come back next year, and this time they offered to pay my expenses!

So I guess I now have my motivation to continue with studying the language.

Hopefully I can create a language plan that's a bit less insane than I had in 2014. I really pushed myself too hard for that one!
(2016-12-22, 11:12 am)ariariari Wrote: So I have exciting news.

Some of you might recall that in 2014 I gave a talk at a Japanese conference in Japanese. That was really when and why I joined this forum.

Anyway, I just got an email that they would like me to come back next year, and this time they offered to pay my expenses!

Hopefully I can create a language plan that's a bit less insane than I had in 2014. I really pushed myself too hard for that one!

Congrats!! That sounds like an amazing opportunity - I'm jealous!
Excellent news.  Not many of us can claim to be a professional speaker of Japanese.  Congratulations!

More congrats!

Congratulations!

How do you prepare a speech in a language you're not really advanced in? I have enough difficulty speaking in English...
(2016-12-22, 4:57 pm)sholum Wrote:

Congratulations!

How do you prepare a speech in a language you're not really advanced in? I have enough difficulty speaking in English...

It was very, very hard.

In 2014 the talk was on my research, and so I knew the topic intimately. It relates to data visualization. Or at least, that was the aspect I chose to focus on. So I could show slides with images, and explain what they meant, and how each slide differed from the previous one. That was the format for the talk, and it was 30 minutes long.

I arrived 2 weeks before the speech, and attended a language school beforehand. I worked 1-1 with the teacher. In the first week we did N4 prep work, and in the second week we prepared for the speech. 

She had me make many, many revisions to the speech. But I had been working on it for several months beforehand.

It would be hard to overstate how hard I worked on the first speech. I can go into details if you're interested. But as a former JET, I had a deep hunger to be only return to Japan if I could viewed as a professional (as opposed to a gaijin who could only ever be understood in English - a frustration many JETs wind up experiencing). So at the time it was worth it.

I'm on the fence whether to give next year's speech in Japanese or English. Ideally I could do it in Japanese, but I just can't dedicate the hours a day I was putting into the last speech into this one. I suspect since my language knowledge is now higher, I could probably give next year's speech in Japanese with much less work. But it will require revising my study habits. For example, increasing my vocabulary via anki is probably not too important. But adding in 1-1 conversation and writing practice with a professional teacher, where I get experience explaining my work, probably will help when it comes time to start drafting the speech.
Edited: 2016-12-22, 6:20 pm
That sounds like some killer deadline prep... Did it help your Japanese accordingly?

Is data visualization more about charts and graphs, or infographics and advertising?
(2016-12-23, 5:07 am)sholum Wrote: That sounds like some killer deadline prep... Did it help your Japanese accordingly?

It really did. The RTK work I did helped me recognize a ton of kanji, and the speaking prep I did helped me have conversations that were longer, and more interesting, than what I had done before (or had the chance to do here in language exchange).

The talk also went well, and I passed the N4. Those were my two main goals.

That being said, menus were still hard, and that was a pain.

This next trip will wind up being 3 years after that trip. And I'll have been putting in steady effort since.

I want to be smarter about my prep for this trip. I'm not sure exactly what that means yet. I just know that I want to do something different.
Edited: 2016-12-23, 11:30 am
I'm really leaning towards a study program like this:

-No new kanji (same as this year)
-Anki vocab reviews limited to 100 a day, adding just 2 cards a day
-Pleasure reading of manga to work on reading
-Pleasure anime viewing to work on listening

Hiring a tutor to get
-Conversation practice
-Writing practice
-N3 grammar

Basically, I really want to be able to communicate in writing and speaking about my work. I think that that's more important than learning more words. It's amazing to me how easily I was able to speak when I lived in Japan. Now it would be generous to say that I'm "rusty". "Atrophied" might be more accurate.

It's also funny that the words I wind up learning from conversation and reading tend to not be in my N3 book at all. So while I keep on saying that I want to finish my N3 vocab books, which I'm almost done with, it looks like that might not happen any time soon.

I think I used this teacher on italki before and really liked him: https://www.italki.com/teacher/591602. The fact that his entire page is written in Japanese is something I like. It's a big challenge!
OK, so I just took the first step in the new plan. I scheduled a 30 minute lesson with this teacher for just $11.00 on Tuesday:

https://www.italki.com/teacher/591602

I'm amazed at how cheaply you can a lesson with a highly skilled professional teacher.

I actually worked with him years ago, and really liked him. But then I decided to go with JOI because the lessons were so structured and you could choose the grammar point ahead of time.

Now I'm just looking forward to getting some speaking practice in.
Update: just finished orange volume 1 (including the supplemental story that's unrelated to orange itself).

Yay!

Now on to volume 2. Everyone says it, but I'll say it again. The more you read, the faster and better you get at reading!
congrats to ari on your invitation to Japan! That's pretty cool! And the new goals and plans you are having (more speaking/more writing) sound pretty solid as well!

I'm currently a bit in an after-test-slump. I'm not sure if I'll be able to take the JLPT next year, so I kind of lost my mid to short term goal and still haven't set a new one :S