Back

My humble 2016 JLPT N3 thread

(2016-11-13, 8:49 pm)RawrPk Wrote: What about Volume 5 of shirokuma? According to the Japanese wiki article, there is 5 .
Ugh. You see, this is so confusing. 
I went to kinokuniya, got #4, and asked if they had #5 and they said no. They said "It might be out in Japan, but we don't have it in our system." So I was like "Oh, I made a mistake, this series only has 4 books."
But when I picked up #4, I looked and they had all these other shirokuma books like the one you show above. They're all a different size book than #s 1-4 and don't have numbers on them. In fact, they all just have a single character from the series on them. So I was like "Oh, they're probably just like 'best of character x' compliations".

It also doesn't help that kinokuniya wraps all the books, so you can't read any of the stories to check :/
(2016-11-13, 7:58 pm)ariariari Wrote: PS @RawrPk. My 2 cents regarding your anki woes: I recommend you stop adding any new cards at all for a while. It's very easy to get caught up in "progress", like adding new cards. But I think that Anki works best when you try to go through all your reviews, as frequently as possible. So I would consider just trying to work through your backlog of reviews, consistently, before looking at new cards.

I couldn't agree more with this. If you are not finishing your reviews when they are ready, it's less efficient. I.e. you are spending more time than you need to. You shouldn't add new cards if you can't finish reviews - it'll only make the situation worse.
(2016-11-13, 9:30 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
(2016-11-13, 7:58 pm)ariariari Wrote: PS @RawrPk. My 2 cents regarding your anki woes: I recommend you stop adding any new cards at all for a while. It's very easy to get caught up in "progress", like adding new cards. But I think that Anki works best when you try to go through all your reviews, as frequently as possible. So I would consider just trying to work through your backlog of reviews, consistently, before looking at new cards.

I couldn't agree more with this.  If you are not finishing your reviews when they are ready, it's less efficient.  I.e. you are spending more time than you need to.  You shouldn't add new cards if you can't finish reviews - it'll only make the situation worse.

The easiest way to get to that "platonic ideal" of doing them every day is simply to stop adding new cards. This is what I did to get my vocab reviews from ~1,500 / week ten weeks ago to ~1,000 / week last week. (In my case I still added new cards, but I just really reduced the number).

There's also an option in anki to set your "max reviews per day". So while I do all my vocab reviews every day, I set myself to have a max of only 5 grammar reviews per day. I just really hate reviewing grammar. And then the day before I'm report my monthly stats, I cram in the remaining ones.

Note that Anki doesn't need to contain "everything you know". If you're reading, for example, and looking things up as you go, you don't need to add everything to anki.
Breakthrough Sale! Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium or Premium PLUS! (until March 2)
JapanesePod101
So, it turns out that I'm burning through the first volume of Orange. I'm not sure if that's because I already watched it, I got better at reading, it's just easier than Shirokuma, or (most likely) a combination of all 3.

Here's some fun vocab:

アニメ化
〜化
決定
アニメ化決定
人生初
I think you might be right. I stopped adding cards and did some tweaking with Anki's settings. I'm hoping that a week or 2 of chopping away at the reviews will help get me back on track.

Also with reading, I actually hardly ever add vocab into Anki unless I have at least encountered the wor

(2016-11-13, 8:59 pm)ariariari Wrote: Ugh. You see, this is so confusing. 
I went to kinokuniya, got #4, and asked if they had #5 and they said no. They said "It might be out in Japan, but we don't have it in our system." So I was like "Oh, I made a mistake, this series only has 4 books."
But when I picked up #4, I looked and they had all these other shirokuma books like the one you show above. They're all a different size book than #s 1-4 and don't have numbers on them. In fact, they all just have a single character from the series on them. So I was like "Oh, they're probably just like 'best of character x' compliations".

It also doesn't help that kinokuniya wraps all the books, so you can't read any of the stories to check :/

Since the books are plastic wrapped in kinokuniya, my best suggestion would be to take a look at the ISBN of the book and make sure it matches with the correct volume. Here are the ISBNs for Vol 5:

ISBN-10: 4091670563
ISBN-13: 978-4091670564
Courtesy of N2/N1 thread! Big Grin The grammar review is all in Japanese.
(2016-11-14, 10:49 pm)rich_f Wrote: Nihongo no Mori has put out some "compilation" review videos for N1, N2, and N3 grammar, that are basically condensed versions of their grammar series. The N1 video is about an hour or so long, but it covers a lot of the grammar material.

N3: (2 hours and 30 minutes!!! Get the popcorn, Ethel!)

Edited: 2016-11-15, 1:29 pm
(2016-11-14, 12:45 pm)ariariari Wrote: So, it turns out that I'm burning through the first volume of Orange. I'm not sure if that's because I already watched it, I got better at reading, it's just easier than Shirokuma, or (most likely) a combination of all 3.

Here's some fun vocab:

アニメ化
〜化
決定
アニメ化決定
人生初
See? I wasn't kidding when I said I knew most words and the ones I didn't were easy go pick up! Big Grin

That being said, slice of life is generally easier to follow. Orange is paticularly easy in my opinion, definitely one of the most beginner friendly anime out there.

Still gotta finish it, so I can't say much about it yet. But when it comes to the level of Japanese, it's as easy as it gets.
Just finished watching episode #28 of shirokuma.

I took a break for a while, after I binge watched the end of Orange.

I'm going to be traveling for the next couple of weeks, so I might not get a chance to do much watching in the future.

I'm also tempted to reduce my anki load even more. Instead of only adding new cards if I'm below 120 reviews, I'm tempted to reduce that cap to 115 or even 110. We'll see.

That being said, my number of "unseen" cards has risen sharply to 40 - I used to cap that at 21.

I attribute all this to the stress of my upcoming trip, and losing a schedule.

Nothing major, just thought I'd share.
ariariari, personally I have found that when I go on trips/vacations, I just need to only focus on Anki reviews and nothing else. Your anki reviews will go down quite dramatically, even after a few days of no new cards, and I find that when I come back from vacation my mind is refreshed, and those vocab words that i struggled with have had the time to settle.

Every time I try to set goals for myself (I'll read x books while on vacation, I'll add x cards per day), I just always fail.

Though, I admit, all my vacations are going to see other people and not traveling alone. So I only do this "just maintain what I have in anki" strategy because other people are occupying my time. And I only see my family a few times a year, I should make sure to enjoy that time.
Apropos of nothing, I am taking a break from adding new Japanese cards for a while.  I'll definitely keep up with reviews though.

Inspired by the skippers currently sailing solo around the world in the Vendee globe race, I've decided to take a few sailing classes! It's been something I've been interested in for several years.  Towards that goal, I created a deck containing terms from the glossaries of 2 textbooks - about 400 terms.  It's amazing how much easier it is to study words that I'm already somewhat familiar with and are written in roman characters!   It's been 3 days so far and I've already added about a 1/3 of the terms.  By the end of today I should've finished adding the entire first textbook.  Geez everything is so much easier now that I've been studying Japanese for a while!

I'll probably start going out on the water in about 2 weeks.  It should be fun.
Edited: 2016-11-23, 3:40 pm
Thought I'd share some good new with everyone. I recently landed a job at a local Japanese noodle/ramen shop where half the staff is native Japanese. Though not a requirement to speak Japanese on the job, I now have a greater motivation to learn now that I finally have an opportunity to get some output.

I recently found this site for En-Jp restaurant phrases so this will prove useful. Based on my talk with my soon-to-be boss, my position is most likely a ソムリエ of sorts based on his description of the job (GM: Your position is a "drinker"; you pour drinks) lol  I start at the end of the month so I won't know exactly what my job entails until then. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wish me luck! I'll surely need it. Tongue
Excellent! Sounds like it will be a great experience. I've often thought that getting a restaurant job would be a perfect exercise in narrow learning. It will be a sharp learning curve at the beginning, but there are a limited number of things you need to say to people under working conditions, so you can learn them in a few weeks or months and learn them well. I wouldn't be surprised if it makes understanding things outside the restaurant easier in the future too. I know several people who have worked in kitchens or in construction and enough Spanish rubbed off on them that they were able to get things done in Spanish when needed.

Not to mention that those noodles will be delicious.
Nvm, I found the job position. I will be basically be doing this:

It is literally called "drinker" (ドリンカー in Japanese).  Big Grin  Strange how I couldn't find it in jisho. Slang term I guess. I suppose the English equivalent would be a "bar maiden" or "bar man(?)" for males. I am not male so I don't know the male term for a bar maiden.  lol

I literally just give beer and other alcoholic drinks to people. I've done it at other jobs before but it was never my sole purpose (usually served food with beer).

Found a job description here.
(2016-11-24, 2:21 am)RawrPk Wrote: It is literally called "drinker" (ドリンカー in Japanese).  Big Grin  Strange how I couldn't find it in jisho. Slang term I guess. I suppose the English equivalent would be a "bar maiden" or "bar man(?)" for males. I am not male so I don't know the male term for a bar maiden.  lol

I literally just give beer and other alcoholic drinks to people. I've done it at other jobs before but it was never my sole purpose (usually served food with beer).
Someone who serves but doesn't make drinks is cocktail waitress/waiter...
As opposed to a bartender, who mixes and pours drinks, but only serves them to people who come directly to the bar. A bartender also provides all the drinks to all the waitstaff for them to serve, of course.
Not dead, just exhausted. Passed, like, 950 vocab cards just to make reviews manageable again. Not planning to add anything new for a few weeks, until I can get daily reviews manageable again and prove I can keep up with them through finals.

Sigh. Life isn't kind. :p
(2016-11-25, 11:22 pm)nohika Wrote: Not dead, just exhausted. Passed, like, 950 vocab cards just to make reviews manageable again. Not planning to add anything new for a few weeks, until I can get daily reviews manageable again and prove I can keep up with them through finals.

Sigh. Life isn't kind. :p

I can relate. I'm going through a bit of a rough patch in my personal life right now. Hopefully it all gets sorted out by the end of the week!
just woke up and only had 93 vocab cards! First time I can remember having < 100 Smile
受験は明日ですよね。
みんな、頑張って! 応援しています!
I'm on my way now... so nervous! I don't really think I have a chance at passing but... well... we'll see.... Good luck to everyone taking the test!
First of all: wow, 1 year later! I started this thread the day after badly failing the N3 last year, and here we are one year later, with lots of measured progress.

Good luck to everyone who is taking the exam today!

Overall I think that the thread served its purpose for me. I used the N3 to really motivate my studying for the year. And wow, the monthly anki stats posting helped. And I like how I was able to eventually keep track of manga read and anime watched!

Of course, I wound up not even signing up for the exam anyway. But here I am this morning, on a trip, unable to take it anyway!

Here's my final anki stats for the year. One thing you'll see is that I (yet again) stopped going through my grammar deck.

Compared to last month:
Mature grammar cards: NA (December) - 643 (November) = NA
Mature Kanji cards: 733 (December) - 720 (November) = +3
Mature vocab cards: 5,382 (December) - 5,303 (November) = +79

Total kanji + vocab cards: 6,115 (December) - 6,023 (November) = +92

Compared to December 7, 2015 (the day after the exam):
Mature grammar cards: NA - 476 (12/7) = NA
Mature Kanji cards: 733 (November) - 684 (12/7) = +49
Mature vocab cards: 5,382 (November) - 4,500 (12/7) = +882

Total mature kanji + vocab cards: 6,115 (December) - 5,184 (12/7) = +931

Manga:
shirokuma kafe: finished 4 volumes (+1)
slam dunk: finished volume 1
yotsubato: finished volume 5
Orange: finished 1 volume (+1)

Anime:
shirokuma kafe: finished 28 episodes (+1)
orange: finished 13 episodes (+0)

Overall, I'm thinking of not posting in this thread any more. Not leaving Japanese or the forum, but just not posting monthly anki stats updates and the like. The deadline of the exam kept me focused, and now that the deadline has passed, I'm just thinking that it's time for something new. Also, I'm wrapping up a long combined personal+business trip right now, and the time off is just generally giving me time to think things over.

For those of you who participated in the thread: how was it for you? Did it help? Do you think that you'll continue to study Japanese in 2017?
Edited: 2016-12-04, 8:07 am
I think it helped, for me. Even though I stopped posting as much. It provided that little bit of incentive whenever I'd get super behind and considered giving up. I'm also on that verge of starting to be able to actually really enjoy native material, and despite what life's throwing my way, this thread's given me hope that I'll hit that point and that it's do-able. So even though I don't post stats, this thread especially has kept me motivated. Because sometimes it feels like this forum is full of either N1-ers or newbies, and because of my life situation, I can't go super gung ho. But realizing there are other people out there who do a few words at a time, but who have still made enough progress to read...

It gives me hope. I don't know if I'll ever take the N-whatever, but even if you don't, I think finding a thread that's similar to your level is beneficial.
I went to the test today, and I'm 100% sure that I failed. Again Sad I've been feeling a bit burned-out from all the reps in Anki I've been doing lately (I was learning something else, even harder than Japanese IMO.). I can tell that I've made some progress compared to the last test I've taken, still, it won't be enough. Too many guesses and hunches in my answers.
One thing is clear, I need more practice. I did NOT practice at all (besides going through 2 mock tests yesterday). I only did some Vocab-Anki (1300 cards in total - probably should've aimed for 2000 just to be sure), and read through my grammar book. That's it.
Anyway, hopefully I will finish my degree next spring, then in my free time I will go full-force on learning Japanese. If everything goes well, this time next year, I'll be writing the opposite of the second half of my first sentence in this post Smile After that, well...we'll see.
EDIT: I was going for N4 Smile
Edited: 2016-12-04, 1:14 pm
I just got home Smile So tired! Did anyone else actually sit for N3?
I think I probably bombed the moji/goi part. I just had to guess so many times, if I pass that part it's probably mostly luck... (I guess in some cases the guesses were kind of "educated guesses" ... but many really were just guesses)...

The rest went okayish. Before the test I had my doubts about the grammar part in the second section, but it went better than I expected. Not super awesome, but not too bad either. I'm pretty confident about most of the reading questions, so that's cool Smile

The listening was also pretty good. But I utterly failed on the three questions in number 3... (The first part where there isn't anything in the question booklet and you have audio only). On all of those I kinda got the audio segment... I also understood the question... but I failed to understand all of the answers which made it pretty much guesswork.... I think the rest of the listening comprehension was pretty good. I think I might have passed the listening part overall, but it depends a bit on how the questions are weighted.

My overall feeling is: I probably failed the first part. It could go either way for the second part (but it might be a pass... but I'm not overly confident) and I think I passed the listening part. Now to wait for the results and see how much of that is true :S
@sumsum congrats! Much better than my experience last year!
Thank you! I'm not sure if I actually did any better. If I reread the starting post of this thread it just seems like my problems are pretty much the opposite *haha* I don't know the score you had but you said there that you guessed many questions on the reading and listening part... I'm usually pretty good at understanding the important points if I have some context, which really helps with the reading and listening section... but once that context is missing or I'm asked for language details (what's the reading? which of these similar kanji is the right one? which grammar form is used for this pattern?) I'm at a loss.... Sooo more focussed study for me, I guess Wink
Edited: 2016-12-04, 4:06 pm