Back

NEW FORUM: General feedback

The last update removes all IFRAMES until the video thumbnail is clicked ("Play"). Therefore performance should not be an issue (the thumbnails are also served by YouTube servers).

Aesthetically wise , the point is to allow for entertaining threads to share Japanese related music, docs and whatnot. Therefore videos are expected in any such threads (eg. Dope Japanese Hip-Hop).

In addition I am looking into making YouTube URLs auto-embed because the Rich Text Edit button is annoying. When posting you will be able to disable auto-embed simply by using bbcode around the URL (typically, use the link feature).

It's definitely possible to limit the number of video embeds per post, for example. Let's wait until that is an issue before worrying about it.

I could also potentially add a max-width to the videos. I removed the width for the responsive layout, so it ends up taking the full width on desktop. Likewise, let's see some of these threads first and then I'll optimize if need be (adding max-width should reduce also the height of the embeds).
Edited: 2015-11-25, 5:06 pm
Okay, that's cool. I didn't realize videos were being handled in that way, but that should prevent most of the performance issues I was worried about.

Aesthetically, I'm worried that users posting two or three videos or images in a post will creating a spacing and scrolling nightmare in those kinds of threads.
It hasn't happened yet though, and I guess there's no reason to strike preemptively on something relatively minor.

Thanks for addressing my concerns.
Most modern forums have pictures and videos enabled and it doesn't seem to be much of an issue.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
(2015-11-22, 6:59 am)ファブリス Wrote:
(2015-11-18, 8:34 pm)Bokusenou Wrote:
(2015-11-18, 6:52 pm)ファブリス Wrote: Emojis : Could use a custom set of emoji. The MyBB ones are a little large. If you see good ones let me know.
The best one I've found with Japanese-style emotions (closed-eyes smile, sweatdrop, etc) is this one. Wish it included a few more though.

Those are really nice. They are a little large though. We need smileys that fit "inline" with the text. I suppose they could be scaled somehow via css. They would be sharp on retina screens. On my desktop however if I scale down, they look blurry.
Ah, you have a point. Hmm, wonder if they'll look better if I try vectorizing them in Illustrator to get rid of the pixelation. It's worth a shot... I'll give it a try soon and see if that works.
My bad, there are small png icons in the archive.
I dunno if anyone else has brought this up but I just made a thread for the first time and noticed this issue. When I got to the part where I was going to write Japanese every word I typed would be deleted the moment it converted from kana to kanji. I had to write that portion of my thread in a text document and then paste it into the editor. Typing Japanese in this box works fine so I'm not sure why it was happening when making a thread. I did click the numbering icon to start a numbered list before trying to type Japanese, not sure if that would have caused a problem.

Edit - Now that I went to edit this in the full editor it's doing it again here. かいぞく <-- went through fine - 海賊 gets deleted as soon as it's typed. I had to copy/paste it here. I'm on Chrome.
Edited: 2015-11-30, 7:51 am
Would it be possible to eventually be able to sort the member list by reputation?
(2015-11-18, 6:52 pm)ファブリス Wrote: Emojis : Could use a custom set of emoji. The MyBB ones are a little large. If you see good ones let me know.
The best one I've found with Japanese-style emotions (closed-eyes smile, sweatdrop, etc) is this one. Wish it included a few more though.

Tried them today (on my development version) and they look nice. They are too white however so they barely stand out from the text. I'll try to add a bit of colour to them and see how that works out.
(2015-12-02, 1:03 pm)ファブリス Wrote:

Tried them today (on my development version) and they look nice. They are too white however so they barely stand out from the text. I'll try to add a bit of colour to them and see how that works out.
OK, good luck!
(2015-12-02, 2:19 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: The best one I've found with Japanese-style emotions (closed-eyes smile, sweatdrop, etc) is this one. Wish it included a few more though.
The riceball emotions on that webpage are similar to LINE (Naver, Korea) and the emoticon with the "bill-note sticking out from the mouth" mainly from Baidu, China.  Both do not convey the Japanese-style like this -> http://iphone-mania.jp/news-25040/ where emoticon like 天狗 (tengu, long-nosed goblin) and others are used.
(2015-12-02, 8:22 pm)eslang Wrote:
(2015-12-02, 2:19 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: The best one I've found with Japanese-style emotions (closed-eyes smile, sweatdrop, etc) is this one. Wish it included a few more though.
The riceball emotions on that webpage are similar to LINE (Naver, Korea) and the emoticon with the "bill-note sticking out from the mouth" mainly from Baidu, China.  Both do not convey the Japanese-style like this -> http://iphone-mania.jp/news-25040/ where emoticon like 天狗 (tengu, long-nosed goblin) and others are used.
Oh, if you know of a good free emoticon set designed by a Japanese person, please share it! I didn't have luck with that & the riceball one was the best I found.
(2015-12-02, 9:00 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: Oh, if you know of a good free emoticon set designed by a Japanese person, please share it! I didn't have luck with that & the riceball one was the best I found.
good and free, quite a tall order, you know. Big Grin

Anyway, I'll shop around for it and give a shout here, should I find it later.
Here we go...

Google Japan Blog: 絵文字のユニコード符号化: 符号化提案用のオープンソースデータ
http://googlejapan.blogspot.jp/2008/11/b...st_27.html

Google Project (open source data) : emoji4unicode
https://github.com/googlei18n/emoji4unicode

The project documentation is available at
http://sites.google.com/site/unicodesymb...ji-symbols

Emoji Symbols: Background Data
http://unicode.org/~scherer/emoji4unicod.../full.html
(Fairy tale symbols (2. Human/Living Things) - Japanese Goblin 天狗 / Ogre なまはげ)

FAQ - Emoji & Dingbats
http://www.unicode.org/faq/emoji_dingbats.html

Background history about Google Project "emoji4unicode"  - CNET Japan
グーグルが絵文字を世界標準に提案した理由--国際化エンジニアに聞くプロジェクトの舞台裏
(前編) http://japan.cnet.com/sp/column_emojipandora/20409186/
(後編) http://japan.cnet.com/sp/column_emojipandora/20409222/
Guys, the idea is to have a thematic emoticons (not emojis) that look nice and are practical to use on the forum.

What's the difference between emoji and emoticons?

PS: so ideally, if you'd like to suggest a different set of emoticons, it would be an existing emoticon set for a typical forum that has bbcode support (any forum software will do since the emotioncs is a collection of small images).
Edited: 2015-12-03, 8:24 am
なるほど! (-‸ლ)  facepalm 私が馬鹿な勘違いをしたのです。(シ. .)シ

Kaomoji  (顔文字) : Japanese Emoticons
http://kaomoji.ru/en/

Sad to say, I have yet to come across forum software with bbcode support that have a thematic emoticons. The popular 2ch otakus tend to go for ASCII type of emoticon, and the other anime-girlie-groups like kaomoji. (oT-T)尸
I have been thinking..... if converting gif image to tiff or png files is not a big hassle, then it is possible to use some of these icons from 2ch.

2ちゃんねるアイコン公開所
http://mamono.2ch.net/test/read.cgi/kitchen/1220229920/
From post 174 :
[Image: gikog_onigiri.gif] onigiri
[Image: omochi_3.gif] omochi for the coming new year 2016.  Heart

I have other similar cute-looking gif files.  
Just let me know if you'd like to take a look at them and I'll send it to you.
It would be nice if we could get an alert or something when someone quotes us in a post, if possible.
Feedback is still very much appreciated. How's the forum working for you?

General forum organization are welcome too. Would you recommend this forum to someone else? If not, what could be improved?

For mobile (phone, tablet) layout feedback is welcome in this thread.
I can't seem to find the link to go to RevTK, is it gone? That was an essential feature imho.
Edited: 2015-12-17, 7:20 am
(2015-12-17, 6:39 am)fuaburisu Wrote: Feedback is still very much appreciated. How's the forum working for you?

General forum organization are welcome too. Would you recommend this forum to someone else? If not, what could be improved?

For mobile (phone, tablet) layout feedback is welcome in this thread.
So far so good. Heart Big Hugs and Kudos to the Mods and Admin, for cleaning out the spammers and every-little-thing behind the scenes.

A few of my friends (people of Japanese descent) who are not comfortable with using the English language might find this (native-English-speaking) forum kind of daunting, and saying ヤバイ!やべえ!Big Grin
I don't have much to say, but just wanted to add another voice of thanks for all your hard work. 

To make this more than just a "me too" post, I will say that I don't personally have any use for the "Recent topics" section on the front page, so I just ignore it, but I believe others find it useful, so it's all good in the long run.
(2015-12-17, 6:39 am)fuaburisu Wrote: Feedback is still very much appreciated. How's the forum working for you?
First of all thanks again for the good job and also for your patience and readiness to consider suggestions.

I got attached to the old calm yellow blue style, but workingwise I think it is indeed better now.

There are many things like the video embedding where I can see that the change has indeed enriched the forum.

One thing where the improvement is easily noticeable as a user is the way how you can now without any effort quote in a neat format and change the layout of your post.

Advanced Search I like too, just you need minimum 3 characters. ["The minimum search term length is 3 characters."] There were cases where I found that unhelpful. Searching for a two character Japanese compound or even a single kanji does make sense on a Japanese orientated forum.

(2015-12-17, 7:01 am)EratiK Wrote: I can't seem to find the link to go to RevTK, is it gone? That was an essential feature imho.

Actually I missed the direct link yesterday too. You can find it in the avatar of ファブリス but I guess especially for people who come here "accidentally" by (Google) search it would be good if they see a link to the parent site. It would deserve an eyecatching link.
Am I the only one having trouble typing Japanese on this forum in Chrome?  Sometimes it works okay, but sometimes when I type Japanese it immediately disappears.

(Edit: Ah, looks like someone else had the same problem.  Happening to me with fully updated Chrome on Windows 7.)
Edited: 2015-12-18, 1:09 am
(2015-12-18, 12:44 am)Tzadeck Wrote: Am I the only one having trouble typing Japanese on this forum in Chrome?  Sometimes it works okay, but sometimes when I type Japanese it immediately disappears.

(Edit: Ah, looks like someone else had the same problem.  Happening to me with fully updated Chrome on Windows 7.)

No, but in Firefox sometimes I type in Japanese and the text doubles. I sometimes can't type correctly after that. I try to type not in the reply window.

ちょっと思いがあるんだけど、どうかな。そうか。
「View Source」を使えばいいみたいです。

I just tested and it seems like I don't have a problem if I'm in 'view source' mode, it has something to do with the fancy layouts.

I'm using the Google IME, for what difference it might make.
(2015-12-18, 12:44 am)Tzadeck Wrote: Am I the only one having trouble typing Japanese on this forum in Chrome? Sometimes it works okay, but sometimes when I type Japanese it immediately disappears.

(Edit: Ah, looks like someone else had the same problem. Happening to me with fully updated Chrome on Windows 7.)

http://forum.koohii.com/usercp.php?action=options
Go there and check the "Put the editor in source mode by default" option checkbox. That fixed the same issue for me (on the Android version of Firefox, but otherwise it's the same). You'll have to hit "Preview post" if you want to see what it looks like before posting, but at least posting in Japanese should work.
Edited: 2015-12-18, 3:14 am