Back

Kanji Ryokucha [Android client for Kanji Koohii] out now!

What is it?

A native Android client for Kanji Koohii reviewing. Not a replacement for the site, just an extension to enhance the review experience. Its star feature: ability to draw the kanji on the device.

How much is it?

Nada.

Where is it?

http://slideme.org/application/kanji-ryokucha
Sorry -- no Play store. Bad experience.

Why?

Short story: I wanted it for myself and I'm happy to share it in case anyone else finds it useful.

I have time. Why?

OK. For some reason I never felt comfortable using Anki for my reviewing, or maybe I just never got the hang of it. For some time I was happy using a nice SRS app called Kanji Renshuu. Its downside, however, was that everything worked locally, so you could not do your reviews anywhere or with different devices. Then I switched to Kanji Koohii which solves that by keeping all your data in the cloud. So this site worked best for me. After some time, despite its mobile friendliness, I started missing the native experience, and thought it would be cool to have the best of both worlds. And it would be extra cool if you could draw the kanji right on the app, so you could drop the notepad. The idea was welcomed by Fabrice, who added support on the site for such a project (thanks man!). I trained myself in Android development and got to work. Since I got the app to submit the review answers to Kanji Koohii, I do all my reviews with it.

It is supposed to be pretty much intuitive but just in case here's a user guide:
https://bitbucket.org/gbuela/kanji-ryokucha/wiki/Home

Minimum OS supported is Jelly Bean, and it was tested on a Samsung Galaxy SII phone with KitKat and a Galaxy Tab 4 with Lollipop. Needless to say the tablet is better for drawing -- I guess the larger the screen the better.

Feel free to make suggestions or report issues.
Congratulations! I will sticky the topic for a little while.
I found using the app really convenient and cool Smile Thanks a lot for your effort.
Anyway, I think you should add one more feature to your app. In Kanji Koohii's website, the system allows users to review restudy cards blocks by blocks and you don't have to review all of them at once. I think this feature is helpful because sometimes you just can't restudy about, for example, dozens of words rightaway and when you split them into blocks of 10 words, studying them shall be much easier.
But overall, the app is nice, simple and easy to use. Users can write out the kanji and then compare to the right version, which is helpful and quite fun.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
Thanks for the feedback Huyen!

I always use the "mark as learned" when restudying but there is currently no support in the API for the app to know which of these cards are marked. So I try not to let the red pile get too big by restudying and reviewing it completely every couple of days. Not ideal.

One idea is to mark cards locally in the app, but this has two drawbacks: 1) the restudying is done on the site, it's not ideal to go back-and-forth between site and app while restudying; 2) the mark would apply to that device only.

To address #1 maybe the app could list the red pile keywords and let you check which ones you'd like to review. Still not perfect. Any other ideas?
This app is very neat. Good work!

One addition could be importing personal story to review better
Thanks r3ftch,

The API doesn't currently support access to your story. I'll let Fabrice take note of any requests that require API changes to consider what might be feasible...

Just curious, can you describe your use case? Because I never feel I need to check a story while reviewing. When I don't remember a kanji, I answer No and deal with stories while restudying.
Maybe it's feasible a function to load stories from the exported csv file offline(already saved on memory) but nevermind =) Probably it's just me.
Recently, due to university, i've stop studying kanji and now the reviews are piling up (over 1400 reviews -.-)
So now I don't remember the majority of kanji and i need to restudy and check stories again..

At least now i can review when i'm not at home and then upload to this site Smile
Thanks you and Fabrice!
r3ftch Wrote:Maybe it's feasible a function to load stories from the exported csv file offline(already saved on memory) but nevermind =) Probably it's just me.
Importing from the csv is definitely feasible.

Quote:Recently, due to university, i've stop studying kanji and now the reviews are piling up (over 1400 reviews -.-)
So now I don't remember the majority of kanji and i need to restudy and check stories again..
I wonder how the buttons look with a 4-digit number. A scenario I certainly didn't consider Smile

Quote:At least now i can review when i'm not at home and then upload to this site Smile
Well in terms of offline support, even though you can choose when to submit your answers, you can't really review without a connection since the data is fetched in batches during the review -- just like the site does. Maybe in the future we can make this less network dependent.
Hi there!

Thanks a lot for creating the app! It looks nice and seems to work well. I really like the feature of being able to draw the kanji yourself. I would totally pay for it, if there was a way to make contributions to you.

I have noticed a few things I think would improve it. Here goes:

• I'd have to second r3ftch's request to have the stories accessible and editable through the app. I definitely access them a lot when I'm reviewing - if I fail a card, I often check the story and even tweak it if I think it's not really working.
• It'd be great too if you could check the various readings of the kanji in the app - either that or perhaps something equivalent to the Dict. feature could be implemented, which lets you view common words using the kanji.

Here's a bit of a pie-in-the-sky nice to have one - drawn kanji recognition. By which I mean, you draw the kanji and the app recognises it. The Android app 'Kanji Recognizer' does this and I find it really useful. I guess it might be quite difficult to do though?

Another thing the Kanji Recognizer app has which is really cool is kanji stroke order diagrams. (Actually, it even has animated stroke order diagrams, but that might be overkill.) As I understand it, it uses a third-party licensed kanji database.

So, thanks again!!
Hi Misanthrope, thanks.

For the first point, importing your stories from the csv file wouldn't be enough. But one thing that can be done is to have a button or menu option that takes you directly to that kanji's study page in the site. So you would do that in the browser and then you would come back to the app.

Second point: this was part of the plan but wanted to get the core functionality out first. I think I have the on reading available in the API. For common words, that might take more effort. I have access to raw data to build that but I need to get it "digested" somehow for the app to consume.

I love Kanji Recognizer. The recognition thing might be overkill here, but I can research on ways to show stroke order.

Thanks for all the ideas, keep 'em coming and we'll see what can be done.
Also feel free to rate / review the app in the SlideME store.
Misanthrope Wrote:(Actually, it even has animated stroke order diagrams, but that might be overkill.)
FYI this is definitely coming in the next release.
Hello, thank you for creating the app. I use it a lot these days ^_^ Before your app I would just log in to kanji.koohii.com using my android's browser and use a different notepad app (tinyapp) which stays docked on top of the browser so I can draw the kanji as I go from page to page. The tinyapp notepad is very similar to the notepad on your app, but it does not have a clear function. On your next update would you be able to add one? I sometimes make mistakes in drawing kanji and having a clear/undo function would be very helpful.
Edited: 2015-09-27, 1:42 am
Hi jet2r0cks,
Find the Clear option in the actions menu.
Thanks
All,

Version 1.1 is out now at:

http://slideme.org/application/kanji-ryokucha

(I haven't seen any ratings or reviews yet!)

Added:
- Readings -- using KANJIDIC, but special thanks to Katsuo for the spreadsheet
- Stroke order with animation (find it in the actions menu) -- using KanjiVG

Honestly I'm not sure if SlideME is able to alert you of the update. I opened the SlideME app, navigated to Kanji Ryokucha and saw it as available for update, but wasn't notified. I guess we'll have to do with that.
I suggest any active users of the app subscribe to this thread as I will make sure to post any news here.

The next thing I'd like to tackle is a bit more support for the restudy phase, like listing the failed keywords, direct links to study page for those kanjis, a "learned" checkbox (not tied to "learned" in Kanji Koohii since it's not supported by the API, just marked locally on your device), ability to review learned kanjis.
porukkusu Wrote:Hi jet2r0cks,
Find the Clear option in the actions menu.
Thanks
Where can I find it? The only clear option I can find is the one that says clear session, but that is not the one I am looking for.
Depending on the device, either (or both) of these:

- Options button. This is the hardware button left of the home button.
- Three-dot button in the action (top) bar

This displays a context menu with additional options in several screens. The Clear option shows up in this menu while you're in the card's front side.
porukkusu Wrote:Added:
- Readings -- using KANJIDIC, but special thanks to Katsuo for the spreadsheet
- Stroke order with animation (find it in the actions menu) -- using KanjiVG
Nice work! Did you add the kanji's possible readings or the examples words?
ファブリス Wrote:Nice work! Did you add the kanji's possible readings or the examples words?
No example words, just readings at the moment.
Example words require considerably more work so, I might reconsider it later.
FYI development of the study feature is well underway.

Question for jet2r0cks: were you able to find the context menu? I don't know a great variety of android phones so my previous answer may be insufficient -- I noticed some devices have software buttons for back / home / options, and they're not all arranged the same way. I believe the context menu is accessible in some way or another on any device. If you cannot find it, it may mean some users are missing quite a few app features!
Version 1.2 is out.

The new feature is a study phase for the restudy cards.
Failed cards go to the red pile as usual, but are internally marked as pending to be restudied, that is, not yet ready to be reviewed. When you tap the Study button (only available for the red pile) you see the keywords listed. Tapping on one, your browser opens with the appropriate study page in kanji koohii. You can mark cards as ready for review as you relearn them. Do this in the app! Note that the "Add to learned list" button in kanji koohii is not linked to this feature since it's not supported by the API.

This allows you to review only failed cards that you have explicitly marked as relearned and leave the rest sitting there for future study. So, you can review those failed cards, submit your answers, clear the review session and move on with expired or new cards reviews.

Note that this intermediate state for failed cards is handled locally on the device -- keep it in mind if you use multiple devices. You will only see cards in this state on the device where you have answered No for them in a review.
Version 1.3 is out.
This is a bugfix version. One of the bugs could occasionally lose your answers when coming back to the session screen from the review screen. Make sure you update before going all FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUU  Big Grin
Hi porukkusu,

Thanks for making this app. It's really convenient to be able to do reviews on the go.

I'm running into a problem though. Somewhat recently, in the past week or so, the Stroke Order feature in the app stopped working. This is the stroke order menu item that appears during reviews, after flipping a card over.

When I click on stroke order, I get a message saying, "Something failed! Cannot display stroke order for this kanji"

This is version 1.3 of the app. I'm on Android 7.0, build NRD90U, security patch level September 6, 2016. I suspect either my Android version, or Fabrice's recent changes to the Kanji Koohii site, may have broken something.

Would you take a look? Thanks.
Edited: 2016-09-17, 10:17 pm
It crashes for me whenever i try to flip a card. im on a xperia z3 running android 6.0.1if you could look into it i would be really thankful.
Does this app use SRS method as well? And does it follow the same Kanji order with the Heisig book of the 6th edition?
Guys, version 1.4 is out! I added the "Hard" rating button to match the new feature in the web-based reviews that Fabrice added.

@rodent: Sorry for the late reply. I haven't actually tried Android 7, and I haven't yet seen any issues with that feature. Do you get the issue with any kanji or some in particular?

@shorono: sorry to hear that! I'm pretty limited in the devices I can test with :-( Do you think you would be able to get me device logs?

@shotokan: the app uses SRS using this site as the backend, so it's simply an alternative frontend for the exact same system. You could use the app one day and the website the next day. The kanji order depends on your Heisig edition settings in the site.