Back

Kanji Ryokucha [Android client for Kanji Koohii] out now!

@ShotOkan Kanji Ryokusha works with a Kanji Koohii account. You can then use the account with porukkusu's app. By default, yes, the 6th edition index is used (older editions is also supported).
(2016-11-05, 4:22 pm)ファブリス Wrote: @ShotOkan Kanji Ryokusha works with a Kanji Koohii account. You can then use the account with porukkusu's app. By default, yes, the 6th edition index is used (older editions is also supported).

Thanks, I've already installed the app and signed into it with my account.
(2016-09-17, 10:15 pm)rodent Wrote: Hi porukkusu,

Thanks for making this app. It's really convenient to be able to do reviews on the go.

I'm running into a problem though. Somewhat recently, in the past week or so, the Stroke Order feature in the app stopped working. This is the stroke order menu item that appears during reviews, after flipping a card over.

When I click on stroke order, I get a message saying, "Something failed! Cannot display stroke order for this kanji"

This is version 1.3 of the app. I'm on Android 7.0, build NRD90U, security patch level September 6, 2016. I suspect either my Android version, or Fabrice's recent changes to the Kanji Koohii site, may have broken something.

Would you take a look? Thanks.

I'm seeing the issue is reproducible with some of the emulators, so I should be able to find and fix the bug. Will report back.
This has nothing to do with Fabrice's changes.
JapanesePod101
(2016-11-05, 8:08 pm)porukkusu Wrote:
(2016-09-17, 10:15 pm)rodent Wrote: Hi porukkusu,

Thanks for making this app. It's really convenient to be able to do reviews on the go.

I'm running into a problem though. Somewhat recently, in the past week or so, the Stroke Order feature in the app stopped working. This is the stroke order menu item that appears during reviews, after flipping a card over.

When I click on stroke order, I get a message saying, "Something failed! Cannot display stroke order for this kanji"

This is version 1.3 of the app. I'm on Android 7.0, build NRD90U, security patch level September 6, 2016. I suspect either my Android version, or Fabrice's recent changes to the Kanji Koohii site, may have broken something.

Would you take a look? Thanks.

I'm seeing the issue is reproducible with some of the emulators, so I should be able to find and fix the bug. Will report back.
This has nothing to do with Fabrice's changes.

Thanks, looking forward to your next update. As you might already know, version 1.4 still has the stroke order problem, and it seems to be with all kanji.
(2016-11-06, 8:42 am)rodent Wrote: Thanks, looking forward to your next update. As you might already know, version 1.4 still has the stroke order problem, and it seems to be with all kanji.

Just published 1.4.1 with the fix, please let me know how it goes for you.
(2016-11-06, 1:21 pm)porukkusu Wrote:
(2016-11-06, 8:42 am)rodent Wrote: Thanks, looking forward to your next update. As you might already know, version 1.4 still has the stroke order problem, and it seems to be with all kanji.

Just published 1.4.1 with the fix, please let me know how it goes for you.

Excellent, 1.4.1 fixes the stroke order problem.

There has been another thing that's been a bit of an annoyance. If draw a kanji, then flip the card over, then allow Kanji Ryokucha to lose focus (by switching to another app, for example), the card flips back to the question again, and then I have to draw the kanji again. Is there a way to make the app remember if the card has been flipped, and preserve that state even if I switch to another app?

This would be useful, for example, if I draw a kanji, flip the card over, then want to consult a Japanese dictionary app, before pressing "Yes" in Kanji Ryokucha. But, with this current bug, if I flip the card, then check my Japanese dictionary app, by the time I return to Kanji Ryokucha, the kanji I drew is erased, so I don't remember if I got it right or not.

What do you think?
(2016-11-07, 7:56 am)rodent Wrote: Excellent, 1.4.1 fixes the stroke order problem.
Cool!
Quote:There has been another thing that's been a bit of an annoyance. If draw a kanji, then flip the card over, then allow Kanji Ryokucha to lose focus (by switching to another app, for example), the card flips back to the question again, and then I have to draw the kanji again. Is there a way to make the app remember if the card has been flipped, and preserve that state even if I switch to another app?

This would be useful, for example, if I draw a kanji, flip the card over, then want to consult a Japanese dictionary app, before pressing "Yes" in Kanji Ryokucha. But, with this current bug, if I flip the card, then check my Japanese dictionary app, by the time I return to Kanji Ryokucha, the kanji I drew is erased, so I don't remember if I got it right or not.

What do you think?

Sure it can be done. I'd have to brush up my android skills a bit though Big Grin

BTW if there are any android devs around who would like to help improve the app, just let me know.
(2016-11-07, 8:14 am)porukkusu Wrote: BTW if there are any android devs around who would like to help improve the app, just let me know.

I'd help if I knew how to do Android dev, but my dev skills are in the Windows world. Smile
(2016-11-07, 8:39 am)rodent Wrote:
(2016-11-07, 8:14 am)porukkusu Wrote: BTW if there are any android devs around who would like to help improve the app, just let me know.

I'd help if I knew how to do Android dev, but my dev skills are in the Windows world. Smile

I'm figuring out the issue so there will be a fix soon.
I don't normally switch apps when reviewing but losing the drawing is annoying anyway...
Version 1.5 is out now!

If you are in the middle of a review and switch apps, when returning to Kanji Ryokucha your current drawing will not be lost  Cool

Also: I added the Crashlytics library which will help me track down issues when you guys get any crashes that I can't reproduce. 

And a couple more fixes.
Update now  Wink
(2016-11-12, 8:46 pm)porukkusu Wrote: Version 1.5 is out now!

If you are in the middle of a review and switch apps, when returning to Kanji Ryokucha your current drawing will not be lost  Cool

Also: I added the Crashlytics library which will help me track down issues when you guys get any crashes that I can't reproduce. 

And a couple more fixes.
Update now  Wink

Yes, the bug is fixed, thanks. There's a little bit of weirdness when switching apps; the card-flipping-over animation is still played when I switch back to Ryokucha, but after the animation is done, the card is correctly flipped to the answer side of the card. Fairly minor and not worth fussing about, but just thought I'd mention it.

Good work.
Version 1.6.1 is out, introducing a button for direct access to the kanji's study page, where you can tweak the keyword, find a better story, etc.
You will see it on the back side of the cards.
Enjoy!
Sounds good. Within a month hopefully I should have a big "mobile first" update for the site, and that means the Study page should fit nicely on small screens so it works better also from your app (mainly, the sidebar will disappear, so the stories will take full width).
I'm aware some folks are getting a crash when flipping the card. So far I've been unable to reproduce the issue myself, ever. I keep this on my radar but it might help if someone having the issue can help testing possible fixes (I would send the apk by email or something, you would have to manually install it).
Just let me know!
Hello,

It is a long time now that i didn't use kanji koohii.
I discovered Ryokucha with joy and installed it on my android phone.

I connected to my koohii account and saw the amount of cards due and to restudy.
I can click on the Expired button and use it normally , but Restudy button is always grey and doesn't seem to work.

Can you tell me why it is always grey please (maybe I don't understand something) ?

Thank you !
(2017-05-07, 7:51 am)otax38 Wrote: Hello,

It is a long time now that i didn't use kanji koohii.
I discovered Ryokucha with joy and installed it on my android phone.

I connected to my koohii account and saw the amount of cards due and to restudy.
I can click on the Expired button and use it normally , but Restudy button is always grey and doesn't seem to work.

Can you tell me why it is always grey please (maybe I don't understand something) ?

Thank you !

Do you have cards to restudy? That is, did you have cards that you've marked wrong? If you have cards to restudy (according to the browser website), and the Ryokucha app doesn't report them, then it sounds like a bug.

Restudy has worked for me in the past with the app, but I haven't marked something completely wrong recently (using the Hard buttons instead), so I wouldn't know if there are any recent bugs with this.
Hello Rodent,

Thank you for answering me.

Yes I have a lot in restudy pile. I made also wrong answers today in order to see if it changes, but still the same.

See the snapshot hereunder :

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ht8Auf...alLuhJqgVw

Thanks.
(2017-05-08, 2:09 am)otax38 Wrote: Hello Rodent,

Yes I have a lot in restudy pile. I made also wrong answers today in order to see if it changes, but still the same.

Thanks.

That looks like a bug. We'll have to wait until porukkusu says something.
Edited: 2017-05-08, 6:06 am
OK, I'll wait for porukkusu.

Jaa !
(2017-05-08, 2:09 am)otax38 Wrote: Hello Rodent,

Thanks.

Hi otax38!
Sorry for the delay, I had missed this. I see what's going on from the screenshot. The app is designed to have a single ongoing review session. You can see in the orange button the label "in progress" which means the other piles aren't available. To access the red pile for a review you have to first either complete or cancel the due session. You don't have to go through all your due cards just because you had started that review... simply tap the due button, make sure you don't have any asnwers pending to submit, and tap the "clear session" button. 
Then any non-empty piles are again available to start a new review session.
Hi Porukkusu !

Thank you to have answered my question.
I confirm that it works correctly doing the way you said.

I will now go on refreshing my kanji writing with your app.

Thanks again for your work  Exclamation

Best regards.

Yes, here! Great app, btw. Thanks for developing!

Thing I would like to add:

- Dark theme. For me it's easier on the eyes and more pleasant looking especially in the dark.

- Import of custom keywords. I changed a lot of the keywords to include Japanese readings (or just a German translation for clarification). I definitely want this in my reviews.

- Custom review of individual decks. Sometimes I don't have a lot of time and just want to do the most important reviews (lower decks) first.

- Add support for Kanji Stroke Order font. It's probably not a good idea to include it in the apk but it could be used if found on the system. I prefer this over the animation as it's much faster and I see the kanji in a hand written form on the answer side instead of the printed form.in the normal font.

There probably  are other things I can do but those are the most important to me especially point 2&3.

It would be great if you uploaded the code on GitHub or somewhere. I'd start working on it immediately, I don't think it's too much work code wise.
Edited: 2017-05-16, 4:56 am
(2017-05-16, 4:14 am)rabite0 Wrote:

Yes, here! Great app, btw. Thanks for developing!

Thing I would like to add:

- Dark theme. For me it's easier on the eyes and more pleasant looking especially in the dark.

- Import of custom keywords. I changed a lot of the keywords to include Japanese readings (or just a German translation for clarification). I definitely want this in my reviews.

- Custom review of individual decks. Sometimes I don't have a lot of time and just want to do the most important reviews (lower decks) first.

- Add support for Kanji Stroke Order font. It's probably not a good idea to include it in the apk but it could be used if found on the system. I prefer this over the animation as it's much faster and I see the kanji in a hand written form on the answer side instead of the printed form.in the normal font.

There probably  are other things I can do but those are the most important to me especially point 2&3.

It would be great if you uploaded the code on GitHub or somewhere. I'd start working on it immediately, I don't think it's too much work code wise.

Hi rabite0!
The code is in bitbucket, here: https://bitbucket.org/gbuela/kanji-ryokucha
Keep in mind I quickly taught myself Android development so it won't be the best code base you've ever seen Smile
In fact, I'm an iOS dev and I will soon release KR for iOS. I rethought the UI and some ideas can probably be applied to the Android app. More on that later!

BTW you should already be getting the keywords just as you customized on Kanji Koohii. When you start a review, the app fetches the card's data including your custom keywords. Are you sure you're not seeing that?
Wow great! Thanks for sharing! Smile

I will take a closer look over the weekend but at first glance it looks pretty understandable. Well, Android API sucks pretty much and it's probably the worst part of Android. So with Android development often it's not you suckung but the tools you're given. Angel

I found a GitHub repo of an iOS app with the same name. Is that the iOS version you're working on?

And yes, I noticed it picking up on the keywords when I did some more reviews. Never saw it being mentioned and not all my keywords are changed so I didn't pick that up earlier. On the other hand I saw 2 kanji being displayed wrong. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe it's using the Chinese version of that character or something like that? It does show up fine in a browser.

It happens with #771 炭 and #731 将. The first has the cliff primitive replaced with "by ones side" and in the second the vulture above the glue is replaced by evening.
(2017-05-17, 9:45 am)rabite0 Wrote: Wow great! Thanks for sharing! Smile

I will take a closer look over the weekend but at first glance it looks pretty understandable. Well, Android API sucks pretty much and it's probably the worst part of Android. So with Android development often it's not you suckung but the tools you're given. Angel

I found a GitHub repo of an iOS app with the same name. Is that the iOS version you're working on?

And yes, I noticed it picking up on the keywords when I did some more reviews. Never saw it being mentioned and not all my keywords are changed so I didn't pick that up earlier. On the other hand I saw 2 kanji being displayed wrong. I'm not sure why this is. Maybe it's using the Chinese version of that character or something like that? It does show up fine in a browser.

It happens with #771 炭 and #731 将. The first has the cliff primitive replaced with "by ones side" and in the second the vulture above the glue is replaced by evening.

Yes, the iOS code is in github.

I also noticed those kanji being "wrong", I´m just assuming they're valid variations and that particular font shows them like that.