Back

Anki Add-on Bulk-Generate Japanese Vocab Frequency Ranking

Hey guys, I have been using Rikai-sama and I loved it. Especially the frequency ranking part which allows me to disregard vocab that are too rare.

I also noticed in the wishlist that some other people (like me) wanted to also include frequency ranking info into the card. Unfortunately, this hasn't been done yet so I attempted to create an Anki Add-on as a quick-fix until Rikai-sama implements that feature.

Im not really a programmer so the initial setup isn't really friendly but that's why I uploaded the tutorial screenshots in the description, and it seems to do what I needed and others might find it useful.

you can check it out here

https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1612642956
Cool. MorphMan determines frequency of unknown words within your own collection, but it'd be even better to have it also factor in the global frequency and let users configure weightings for the two.
ナイス! Could I get more details on the corpus that the frequency information came from, and how it was generated, and the process of generating it is flexible enough to be applied to one's own corpora?
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
I have blessed this add-on with its very first review, and again I want to thank you here. You're a gentleman and a scholar and deserve a standing ovation from all those who will benefit from this. I will be the first to stand up and clap, and though you may not hear it, by damn am I doing it anyway. 8888888
aldebrn Wrote:ナイス! Could I get more details on the corpus that the frequency information came from, and how it was generated, and the process of generating it is flexible enough to be applied to one's own corpora?
I can't speak for the corpus this one was generated from, but as for generating frequency information yourself, you can just use mecab to fetch morphemes then count and sort pretty easily.

It does a bunch of other stuff, so it's not a neat & clean example, but you can look at MorphMan if that helps:

https://github.com/jre2/JapaneseStudy/tr...man3/morph

morphemes.py first section covers working with mecab
main.py line 150ish is where MorphMan factors in how frequent an unknown word is
I just started making my own deck in anki instead of using the core deck and I was jogging and it occurred to me that rikai-sama has frequency information. I thought it let you save that frequency information into your vocabulary as one of the values that it passes along but as I look at it apparently it does not =(. I found you new add-on and it looks perfect. But I can't get it working. I'm on a Mac. Anyone get this working on a mac? I liked the screen shots you had for setting it up - nice. It must be that you're not a programmer so you can relate to real people better.

Too bad it's not working for me =/.
Roketzu Wrote:I have blessed this add-on with its very first review, and again I want to thank you here. You're a gentleman and a scholar and deserve a standing ovation from all those who will benefit from this. I will be the first to stand up and clap, and though you may not hear it, by damn am I doing it anyway. 8888888
Thanks, I'm glad it is working for you Smile

kraemder Wrote:I just started making my own deck in anki instead of using the core deck and I was jogging and it occurred to me that rikai-sama has frequency information. I thought it let you save that frequency information into your vocabulary as one of the values that it passes along but as I look at it apparently it does not sad. I found you new add-on and it looks perfect. But I can't get it working. I'm on a Mac. Anyone get this working on a mac? I liked the screen shots you had for setting it up - nice. It must be that you're not a programmer so you can relate to real people better.

Hmm, I don't have Macbook so I'll need to borrow my sister's when she's not using it for work to test it out.

you can however enable debug mode by doing this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959...kDebug.JPG

and please select only a few card in the browser before pressing the bulk add frequency button when in debug mode or you'll get a lot of debug popups. Sorry my code isn't so user friendly xP

this way it should be able to tell you what went wrong (for most cases)
(2015-01-05, 6:33 am)myxoma Wrote:
Roketzu Wrote:I have blessed this add-on with its very first review, and again I want to thank you here. You're a gentleman and a scholar and deserve a standing ovation from all those who will benefit from this. I will be the first to stand up and clap, and though you may not hear it, by damn am I doing it anyway. 8888888
Thanks, I'm glad it is working for you Smile

kraemder Wrote:I just started making my own deck in anki instead of using the core deck and I was jogging and it occurred to me that rikai-sama has frequency information.  I thought it let you save that frequency information into your vocabulary as one of the values that it passes along but as I look at it apparently it does not sad.  I found you new add-on and it looks perfect.  But I can't get it working.  I'm on a Mac. Anyone get this working on a mac?  I liked the screen shots you had for setting it up - nice.  It must be that you're not a programmer so you can relate to real people better.

Hmm, I don't have Macbook so I'll need to borrow my sister's when she's not using it for work to test it out.

you can however enable debug mode by doing this.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9959...kDebug.JPG

and please select only a few card in the browser before pressing the bulk add frequency button when in debug mode or you'll get a lot of debug popups. Sorry my code isn't so user friendly xP

this way it should be able to tell you what went wrong  (for most cases)
Just found out about your addon and it would be really useful to sort out my db but every single dropbox image you have provided is down and I'm having issues on windows.

An error occurred in an add-on.
Please post on the add-on forum:
https://anki.tenderapp.com/discussions/add-ons
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "C:\Users\yuri-lucas\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\Bulk_Generate_Vocab_Frequency.py", line 100, in <lambda>
browser.connect(a, SIGNAL("triggered()"), lambda e=browser: onBulkGenerateVocabFq(e))
File "C:\Users\yuri-lucas\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\Bulk_Generate_Vocab_Frequency.py", line 105, in onBulkGenerateVocabFq
bulkGenerateVocabFq(browser.selectedNotes())
File "C:\Users\yuri-lucas\AppData\Roaming\Anki2\addons\Bulk_Generate_Vocab_Frequency.py", line 85, in bulkGenerateVocabFq
cursor.execute(mQuery)
sqlite3.OperationalError: near "color": syntax error

Thanks a lot, would love to use your addon