Back

POST TRANSLATIONS REQUESTS HERE

Do you need help translating a sentence?

Please avoid using a picture/photo if you can (so that the reference does not disappear after a while), but otherwise it will do.

Subscribe to the topic (at bottom of the page) if you'd like to get an email when someone responded.

If you already have some experience with Japanese then consider posting in :

"What's this word/phrase?"
ここだけの話、下着姿になった時股をかくクセがある

What's かくクセ, by the way I got it from a funny T.V show not from weird sources.

Ok I think I found it. かく=掻く and くせ=癖
Sentence make's sense now.
Edited: 2014-01-21, 4:11 pm
What's the difference between this thread and the word/phrase one?
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
It may be more noticeable for newcomers than The "What's this word/phrase?" thread. Come to think of it, I'll move this one to General Discussion.

In any case the idea is any future translation request from new members will be moved here, unless they post specifically in the "What's this word/phrase?" thread.
luke9t Wrote:This took me sometime and i know there's still lots of parsing errors i made, please make it more literal. Thanks.

掴めず!
Cannot grab!

すり抜ける...お前の本来の右目の力か
"to through...that is the power of your right-eye"

カカシィ!!ナルトを時空間へ運べ!!
"Kakashi!! bring Naruto to another world!!"

オビトはあっちで九尾を渡すつもりなのか!神威!
"Obito tries to give Kyuubi there! Kamui!"

自ら飛ぶ時に体が実体化するのは知っている!
"i know you will be instantiate when you fly!"

うかつに時空間へ飛ぼうとすれば...そのスキを狙われる. 空間移動スピ-ドが遅すぎる...
if i fly to another world...maybe it is a chance for them. the speed of motion is too slow..."

一度仙人化しただけはある...ほんの少しだがオレからその力まで吸い取ったか
"you are strong enough, once became immortal...it was little but you sucked power from me..."

マダラあいつはいつでも私を殺せた...あまりの恐怖で息をするのも忘れてた......
"Madara...he could kill me...! i even forgot breathing because of fear...!!"

アイツ...アイツだけは...次元が違う!!
"him...only him...lives in different level!!"

ナルトは運んだ!後はお前が向こうへ飛べばナルトは助かるって事だな!?
"i carried Naruto! you meant that you go there also, Naruto will be saved, right?"

ああ任せろ
"yes, count on me..."

そして今回はおれがメインだ
"this time, i am main..."

オビト...カカシ...
"Obito...Kakashi..."

...オビト お前に預けたモノは全て返してもらう
"Obito, i swear i get back what i gave you"

特に左目がまだ 入っていなくてな...
"especially i still don't have my left-eye..."

気になるか?マダラ
"Do you wanna know it, Madara?"

写輪眼は左右揃って本来の力を発揮するもの...そう言ったよな
"Sharin Gan will perform fully when both of eyes are completed...as you said?"

...なら...
"...then..."

違う もう写輪眼ではない...輪廻眼だ
"No, it's not Sharin Gan anymore...it's Rinne Gan"

違う...
"No..."

こっちの事を言ってんだよ
"i'm talking about this"

やっと揃ったね!
"finally it"s completed!"
someone help me out?
To be honest, luke9t, I think a little more has to be done on your end. I've never watched read or watched Naruto, so I have no idea what's going on here. And in a lot of your translations the English doesn't make any sense, so it's hard to tell you where you've gotten the wrong idea (In general, I think you need to put more effort into posting in reasonably correct English, even outside of your translations). It'd also be helpful to know why you're translating all of these in the first place.

If you could point out some of the things that are confusing you, and what the context behind all this is, I think people could help you more easily.
Edited: 2014-03-01, 7:52 am
Bro, i put 200% effort to learning how to read/write japanese and i only just started less than a year ago. I think i've come pretty far from your average learner. Reading cultured text from manga supplements my way of learning.

I'm far from perfect with sentence conjugations, thats why i ask you guys to help me out.
(Edit)
Edited: 2014-03-01, 9:49 am
Luke you said help me make it more literal. What do you mean by that? Do you want the English to be a "correct" translation of the text without regard to natural sounding English, or do you want the translation to be something people would actually say?!
Here's my quick and dirty take. I'm not sure if I've seen the episodes where these come from, but I've tried to let my general familiarity with the series guide me... but without all the context it's hard to be sure about anything here... It's impossible at times to tell who's doing what.

掴めず!

- "I can't get a hold of it!"

すり抜ける...お前の本来の右目の力か

- To (have objects) slip right through... is that the real power of your right-eye?!

カカシィ!!ナルトを時空間へ運べ!!

- Kakashi!! Transport Naruto to the other dimension!!

オビトはあっちで九尾を渡すつもりなのか!神威!

- "Does Obito intend to hand over "nine-tails" there?! Kamui! (Kamui is the name of Kakashi's ninja skill right?)

自ら飛ぶ時に体が実体化するのは知っている!

- Of course I know that [your/my/his] body will materialise when [you/I/he] jumps. (Not clear who is doing the materialising or jumping here)

うかつに時空間へ飛ぼうとすれば...そのスキを狙われる. 空間移動スピ-ドが遅すぎる...

- If I carelessly try to jump into the other dimension... That's the chance we're looking for. The speed of movement between dimensions is too slow...

一度仙人化しただけはある...ほんの少しだがオレからその力まで吸い取ったか

- This is really confusing... 一度仙人化しただけ roughly means "entering sage-mode just once". ほんの少しだがオレからその力まで吸い取ったか could mean something like "It's just a tiny amount, but did he absorb that power from me?!"

マダラあいつはいつでも私を殺せた...あまりの恐怖で息をするのも忘れてた......

- That Madara guy could have killed me anytime... I was so afraid I was even forgetting to breathe...

アイツ...アイツだけは...次元が違う!!

- That guy.. He's on a totally different level!!

ナルトは運んだ!後はお前が向こうへ飛べばナルトは助かるって事だな!?

- Naruto transported. So basically if you go there after, Naruto will help right?!

ああ任せろ

- Yes, leave it to me!

そして今回はおれがメインだ

- And this time, I'll be the main one.

...オビト お前に預けたモノは全て返してもらう

- Obito, I'll have you return everything I entrusted to you.

特に左目がまだ 入っていなくてな...

- In particular, I still haven't gotten my left eye...

気になるか?マダラ

- Are you worried Madara?

写輪眼は左右揃って本来の力を発揮するもの...そう言ったよな

-"Sharingan" will show its true power when both eyes are present together... that's what you said.

違う もう写輪眼ではない...輪廻眼だ

- Wrong. It's no longer "Sharingan"... It's "Rinnegan".

違う...

- "Wrong..."

こっちの事を言ってんだよ

This is what I'm saying!

やっと揃ったね!

- Finally, it's all set/complete. (the verb used in the sense of "complete" refers to a set of something being completed.)
Edited: 2014-03-01, 10:00 am
Tzadeck Wrote:My suggestion, then, is to in the future devote 40% of your efforts to learning Japanese, and 60% to learning English.

And try not to ask for help with, "someone(sic) help me out?" I'm guessing you are quite young, but now is as good a time as any to learn to be a bit more polite..
I'm a 20 year old Canadian native.

About your "suggestion" though Tzadeck, i'll have to say it has no inherent merit. Take a closer look at what you've written. You drew conclusion about my English from my translation of another language.
@ SammyB

Thankyou
luke9t Wrote:
Tzadeck Wrote:My suggestion, then, is to in the future devote 40% of your efforts to learning Japanese, and 60% to learning English.

And try not to ask for help with, "someone(sic) help me out?" I'm guessing you are quite young, but now is as good a time as any to learn to be a bit more polite..
I'm a 20 year old Canadian native.

About your "suggestion" though Tzadeck, i'll have to say it has no inherent merit. Take a closer look at what you've written. You drew conclusion about my English from my translation of another language.
Translation is not about skills in one language, but about skills in two languages. If your English sucks then no one will take your translations seriously. And if you want help with translations, then you must convey your understanding of the original sentence in a manner comprehensible to the person reading it. What does "Cannot grab!" mean? Don't grab that? You can't grab that? I cannot grab? You cannot grab? Grab what, anyway?

Also, in general, it's not polite to do a half-assed job and expect someone else to take it seriously.
Granted, but doesn't trash the notion he was kinda jumping the gun. Thanks for putting me straight anyway. If anyone feels offended, i apologize.
Quote:一度仙人化しただけはある
だけはある is a construction that's hard to directly translate (it also shows up as だけある). This should mean something like "Considering he once turned into a sage, I now understand" or "That makes sense, considering he once turned into a sage" -- if I knew the context I could make a better translation but it means that what has just happened makes sense given X, or could only have happened because he is X.

http://www.izaodao.com/grammar.php?action=view&id=360

The basic meaning of だけ is just "amount" or "extent" (not "only").

EDIT: I think the idea here is that the speaker wouldn't have expected anyone to be able to draw strength from him, and he thinks that shows the other person really was a sage at one time (or he wouldn't have been able to do it even a little bit).
Edited: 2014-03-01, 10:40 am
@yudantaiteki-san.

Thankyou
luke9t Wrote:I'm a 20 year old Canadian native.

Looks like I didn't edit that post away fast enough... but yeah, I thought you were being a bit rude so I made a pissy post. No hard feelings though.
Not a sentence but I was wondering if there is any to incorporate the nuance into the translation. The word is boku-chan. Is there a cute way to say "I" english because I can't think of any as of this moment.
howtwosavealif3 Wrote:Not a sentence but I was wondering if there is any to incorporate the nuance into the translation. The word is boku-chan. Is there a cute way to say "I" english because I can't think of any as of this moment.
Who says that in your context? Maybe you can "cutify" the speech in other ways (altering sounds maybe?).
Edited: 2014-05-10, 9:27 am
Hello,

I’m looking for help translating the kanji to romaji (from a Japanese cookbook). Thank you.

枌未 唐辛子
koumi? togarashi (some kind of red chile pepper)

未唐辛子
? togarashi (some kind of red chile pepper)

野 茉くず
No? kuzu (scraps of leftover vegetables)
One more to confirm. Thank you.
しょうが 風 味の酢醤油
shoga fumi no su shoyu (ginger flavored soy vinegar)
Edited: 2014-05-10, 9:25 am
I think some of these are mistakes in your input. The first one should be 粉末 (funmatsu, "powdered"). The second one doesn't exist and I'm not entirely sure what it should be -- maybe the same thing? The third one is 野菜くず (yasai kuzu). The one in your second post looks fine.
Thank you. I'll take a second look at the kanji.
It was suppose to be aka (赤). Thanks again yudantaiteki, I really appreciate the help.