Back

POST TRANSLATIONS REQUESTS HERE

In this case, I think that し is the stem (連用形 ren'youkei, I think) of the verb する. I would translate the sentence a bit differently, without the "and".
(2016-02-24, 7:28 pm)protput Wrote: ランダムに選出されるチャンピオンでチームを編成し、
敵のネクサスを破壊しましょう。

ランダムに選出されるチャンピオン = Randomly selected champion(s). Using される as the causitive of する、 the initial verb phrase modifies チャンピオン
で is just the particle, indicating the previous phrase is the means by which things are being done.

チームを編成し ... し is just the stem form of する. It's a literary replacement for して, and you'll see it in in 'narration' settings like this a lot. (The ますーstem of any verb can act this way).
敵のネクサスを破壊しましょう ... Volitional form of 'to destroy the enemy's nexus'.

Put it together and you get,

Form a team of randomly selected champions, and destroy the enemy nexus!

You could really push the 'volitional' of the final phrase and say,

Let's form a team of randomly selected champions, and destroy the enemy nexus!

But you'll find that in game instructions like this the volitional is almost never translated with an explicit "Let's" or "Why don't we" or any such phrase but instead put into what's grammatically an imperative sentence but that we as English speakers take as a suggestion, so it effectively mirrors the volitional that way.

(If like bertoni you don't like the 'and', you could say 'Form a team of randomly selected champions to destroy the enemy nexus!' ; that kind of causal relation is weakly implied by the continuative form.)
Edited: 2016-02-24, 11:47 pm
(2016-02-24, 11:44 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote: Form a team of randomly selected champions, and destroy the enemy nexus!

If this is ARAM then the original English text is "Fight as a team of random champions to destroy the enemy nexus." Your translation of the Japanese is perfect of course, I just thought you might be curious. Smile
JapanesePod101
(2016-02-25, 12:27 am)tokyostyle Wrote:
(2016-02-24, 11:44 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote: Form a team of randomly selected champions, and destroy the enemy nexus!

If this is ARAM then the original English text is "Fight as a team of random champions to destroy the enemy nexus." Your translation of the Japanese is perfect of course, I just thought you might be curious. Smile

I was a little curious. Fortunately your answer has prevented me from needing to reinstall League to check, and so saved who knows how many hours of my life! (Which I can now fritter away on Hearthstone instead...)
Thanks guys ! This helped me a lot ^_^
conversation:
a: 君に会いたい
b: そうっすか
a: 引いたでしょうw すべりましたね

i just don't get the last line... 引く has too many meanings
to be creeped out by someone
go off someone cus they weirded you out

edit:
http://detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/...8APSZwAPR7
上記URLを参照してください。
Edited: 2016-03-01, 3:14 pm
凛ちゃんとHなお仕事

What does Hなお仕事 mean?

Rin-chan and ?????

Thank you in advance
There's no point posting the same question in two different threads...
(2016-04-09, 3:21 pm)satanael Wrote: 凛ちゃんとHなお仕事

What does Hなお仕事 mean?

Rin-chan and ?????

Thank you in advance

for posterity's sake H=エッチ

needs more context, like at least a full sentence, but it is probably ちゃんと not ちゃん  と
(2016-04-12, 7:19 pm)Dovetron Wrote: needs more context, like at least a full sentence, but it is probably ちゃんと not ちゃん  と

A google search show's that is the full title of this "game". (The search results are super not-safe-for-work of course.)

凛ちゃんとHなお仕事 = Rin and her sex job
[deleted]
Edited: 2016-04-20, 11:39 am
I'm adding in sentences from shin kanzen N3 grammar and want to make sure I am translating this correctly. The grammar point is 〜ほどだ

傘をさすほどではないが、少し雨が降っている。

Is this translation correct?

There was so little rain that I thought that I would not need to open my umbrella. But in fact I did need to open my umbrella.

This section lumps together all these grammar points: 〜くらいだ・〜ぐらいだ・〜くらい。。。・〜ぐらい。。。・〜ほどだ・〜ほど。。。
They say: "To the extent that ~, in which ~ is an example (emphasizing extent) of what could have, but did not actually, happen. Often used ... in the sense "was so [adjective], that I even thought..."

But the use of the negative here (ほどではない) is throwing me off - it's not clear if the umbrella is actually being opened.

Thanks.
It's raining a bit, but not enough to justify using an umbrella.
(2016-06-12, 11:31 am)anotherjohn Wrote: It's raining a bit, but not enough to justify using an umbrella.

ちょっぴり雨が降ってるけど、傘をさすほどではない。

Wait, I'm an idiot. You were answering the guy above, not asking for a translation. Nevermind!
Edited: 2016-06-12, 11:53 am
(2016-06-12, 11:51 am)Roketzu Wrote:
(2016-06-12, 11:31 am)anotherjohn Wrote: It's raining a bit, but not enough to justify using an umbrella.

ちょっぴり雨が降ってるけど、傘をさすほどではない。

Wait, I'm an idiot. You were answering the guy above, not asking for a translation. Nevermind!
Lol Smile

Rephrasing in Japanese is probably more useful than a translation though come to think of it.
Thank anotherjohn!
(2016-06-12, 11:12 am)ariariari Wrote: This section lumps together all these grammar points: 〜くらいだ・〜ぐらいだ・〜くらい。。。・〜ぐらい。。。・〜ほどだ・〜ほど。。。
They say: "To the extent that ~, in which ~ is an example (emphasizing extent) of what could have, but did not actually, happen. Often used ... in the sense "was so [adjective], that I even thought..."

But the use of the negative here (ほどではない) is throwing me off - it's not clear if the umbrella is actually being opened.
These are all about extents, and here the negative is 'outside' the hodo, indicating that we didn't get to that extent:
傘をさすほど -- to the extent of opening an umbrella, so X that I put up an umbrella
傘をさすほどではない -- not (to the extent of ...), not (so X that I put up an umbrella)

Compare this one where the negative is 'inside' the hodo:
ドアが閉まらないほど込んでいます。-- so crowded that the door wouldn't close
here the situation does get to the specified extent, which is such that something can't/doesn't happen.
Edited: 2016-06-12, 2:16 pm
Thank you pm215!
今古有神奉志士 In this order have these written on a sword given to me. However I have tried translation tools but it makes no sense when it's translated
(2016-06-19, 1:57 pm)Uchimata811 Wrote: 今古有神奉志士 In this order have these written on a sword given to me. However I have tried translation tools but it makes no sense when it's translated

This might help: http://lang-8.com/713038/journals/262505...3590265212
Whoops should have read this thread first I guess Rolleyes
Please someone~

その碧の狭間で泣き出した歌にのせて
想いを込めて書き出していけたら
あぁ すべての想いを絞り出した言葉にのせて
一番近く青空に照らされ消えていけるから

Can also please explain what does 狭間 stand for? Thanks...
Edited: 2016-07-11, 12:02 am
Someone please
最近転入してきたクラスメイトで、主人公が密かに想いを寄せている女の子
Can you also explain what does the で particle stand for
(2016-07-19, 9:08 pm)Bull007 Wrote: Someone please
最近転入してきたクラスメイトで、主人公が密かに想いを寄せている女の子
Can you also explain what does the で particle stand for

A girl who is a classmate that has recently moved in, and who the main character has secretly fallen for.

The で here is not a particle, but a the てーform of the copula (usually seen as だ or です, and technically also な in な-adjectives), so it simply means 'is', but being in continuative form makes it also mean 'and'.