Back

POST TRANSLATIONS REQUESTS HERE

How are these translations of a bunch of Star Fox 64 quotes? Here they are:

Wolf-そうはさせるか! スターフォックス!! (Like I'd let you do that, Star Fox!)

Leon-アンドルフ様が お前らを倒せとさ (Emperor Andorf has permitted us to dispose of you.)

Wolf-遊びは終わりだ スターフォックス! (Playtime's over, Star Fox!)

Leon-たっぷり いたぶってから料理してやる! (I will tease you plenty before I cook you.)

Pigma-地獄で親父が 待ってるそうや! (I hear your dad's waiting in Hell!)

Andrew-我々に逆らった事を 後悔させてやる! (You will regret opposing us!)

Leon-たっぷり、かわいがってやる! (I will be really sweet to you!)

Leon-私を撃ち落とせるならやってみなさい (Please, try your luck. Shoot me down.)

Andrew-お前達は 門前払いだ (We will not let you through.)

Wolf-図にのるなよ スターフォックス!! (Don't push your luck, Star Fox!!)

Leon-ボウヤこの新しいオモチャで遊んであげよう (Little boy, I will play with you with this new toy.)

Pigma-親父と同じでお前も 甘いヤツやのう (You're too soft like your dad, boy!)

Andrew-下等動物がアンドルフ様に会えると思ったか (You lower animals thought you could meet Emperor Andorf?)

Pigma--ペッピー 昔の仲間のよしみで楽にしたろ (For our old times, I'll put you down Peppy.)

Pigma-こいつは、わてからのおごりや! 受け取りや (I've got a treat for you! Take it!)

Wolf-さすがだよ言う事ねえしかし そこまでだ (You're good like I thought. You're good, but you won't do more than that!)

Leon-まだまだ お楽しみはこれからだ! (This party has just started!)

Pigma-無駄や!こいつには大金をつぎ込んどるんや (It's no use! I put too much cash into this.)

Andrew-どこまでも 我々に逆らう気か!! (How stubborn! You still oppose us!!)

Wolf-ばっばかな 俺よりも上なのか (No way! You're better than me?...)

Leon-つっ、強すぎる (So strong!)

Pigma-なんやと!? この わてが・・・ (What!? I...)

Pigma-お前らの首にかかった 賞金はわてらのもんや (After I take your head, we'll get the reward.)

Andrew-恐くはない! 振り切ってやる!! (I am not fearful! Move away!!)
Edited: 2014-06-03, 5:15 pm
Who made these translations and what is the purpose of them?

Areje Wrote:Leon-アンドルフ様が お前らを倒せとさ (Emperor Andorf has permitted us to dispose of you.)
He ordered us to destroy you

Quote:Leon- たっぷり いたぶってから料理してやる! (I will tease you plenty before I cook you.)
I don't know the context, but 料理する can also mean "deal with," which might make more sense here.

Quote:Andrew-我々に逆らった事を 後悔させてやる! (You will regret opposing us!)
I will make you regret...

Quote:Leon-私を撃ち落とせるならやってみなさい (Please, try your luck. Shoot me down.)
If you can shoot me down, go ahead and try it.

Quote:Andrew-お前達は 門前払いだ (We will not let you through.)
That's fine; literally it means we will turn you away without meeting you but the meaning is more like the English.

Quote:Andrew-どこまでも 我々に逆らう気か!! (How stubborn! You still oppose us!!)
Do you mean to oppose us until the end?

Quote:Pigma-お前らの首にかかった 賞金はわてらのもんや (After I take your head, we'll get the rewrd.)
The reward on your head is mine!

Quote:Andrew- 恐くはない! 振り切ってやる!! (I am not fearful! Move away!!)
I will move you away
I wrote all of those down. I'm trying to do a video showing what SF64's Japanese dialogue is like.

Here are the quotes I didn't put in my last post:

Pigma-お前等の首にかかった賞金はわてらのもんや (Those bounties on your heads are ours!)

Pigma-わてを撃ち落とそうなんて 甘い奴やのう! (Trying to shoot me down? Little boy!)

Leon-フッ!噂ほどでもない落ちろ (Hmph. You didn't live up to the rumors. Begone.)

Pigma-その首もらったでぇ! 賞金はいただきや! (I've got your head now! Time for my reward!)

Andrew-落ちろー! アンドルフ様の為にも (Die! Emperor Andorf will be pleased, too.)

Wolf-キツネごときが 調子にのるなよ! (You're just a fox. Don't go overboard!)

Wolf-残念だったな! スターフォックス (Too bad! Star Fox.)

Pigma-残念やったなぁ! スターフォックス (Hard luck! Star Fox.)

Wolf-このオレが やられるとは・・・! (I lost!...)

Leon-この私が・・・・この私がーっ!! (I....I have [lost]!!)

Pigma-わての わての賞金がブヒ~!! (My...my reward~oink~!)
Edited: 2014-06-04, 6:27 pm
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
I've found this on this forum:

children kanji book

who wants to translate it for me? Big Grin
What is the meaning of まったく in this sentence.
Context: A character's internal voice (not speaking) is commenting on a lamp, a lamp shade or maybe both.
テブルの上には、アールデコのカバーがついたランプが置いてある。ランプの中に淡い光が揺れて、部屋をぼんやりと照らしている。電気はないようだ。
まったく、手が込んでいるつくりじゃないか。
On the table was placed a lamp with an attached art-deco cover. A light flickered inside the lamp and faintly lit the room. It looked like there was no electricity.
1. Indeed, that lamp is intricately made, isn't it.
2. Good grief, that lamp is intricately made, isn't it.
3. Truly, that lamp is intricately made, isn't it.
"Well, if it isn't an elaborate design!". It's an expression of slight exasperation here... what's a word for positive exasperation?
Edited: 2014-07-06, 3:21 pm
What is the meaning of ておく in this example:

Keima (earlier): しかし・・・本ってもんは、もうなくなってもいいな。
Shiori (thinking): で、でも、価値観は人それぞれかな・・・ それも認める寛容も必要だし・・・
Shiori (thinking):言いたい人には言わせておけばいいか・・・

Keima: As for things like books, they should disappear already (it would be good if they were already gone).
Shiori: But, each person has their own values. The tolerance to accept that is important too...
Shiori: As for people that want to say (things like this), it would be good to let them say, huh...

ておく = do in advance, correct? Why is that being used here?
This sentence is from the song 自由の翼, and I don't get what is trying to say at all.
Is the と working as an ''if'' or as ''and''? What is the に doing there?

鎖された其の《深層》闇と《表層》光に潜む《巨人達》 
Givala Wrote:This sentence is from the song 自由の翼, and I don't get what is trying to say at all.

I think this may be throwing you off...

In the song he sings やみ、ひかり and ティターネン(Titanen) but, in the lyrics, uses the kanji 深層、 表層 and 巨人達. There's a lot of that in these lyrics..

So the actual sentence should read:
鎖された其の闇と光に潜むティターネン
or, alternatively:
鎖された其の深層と表層に潜む巨人達

The と is "and" and the に is just pointing to where the titans are lurking.

This should make sense if you're following the story..!

Anywho, it's a fairly common thing to see especially in anime and games and the like.
That way the author gets away with adding levels of meaning that aren't in the words they're saying. Another example would be パルス in Final Fantasy 13. Pronounced パルス but using the kanji 下界.
Edited: 2014-07-18, 9:02 pm
Givala Wrote:This sentence is from the song 自由の翼, and I don't get what is trying to say at all.

As far as I can tell:
The と is acting like "and". I'm basing this off the fact that 闇”と”...光 are a pair.
The に indicates the existence/location of the 巨人達.

So, I would guess - The Titans who lurk in the { [depths of darkness] and [surface of light] } of the tethered self.
Japanese is very backwards compared to English.
jcdietz03 Wrote:What is the meaning of ておく in this example:

Keima: As for things like books, they should disappear already (it would be good if they were already gone).
Shiori: But, each person has their own values. The tolerance to accept that is important too...
Shiori: As for people that want to say (things like this), it would be good to let them say, huh...

In English we just say that 〜ておく means "to do in advance" but there are a lot of shades of meaning in Japanese that have absolutely nothing to do with that. Here's the specific definition for this instance (From 大辞林):
置く・措く⑥㋒ その状態を認めて、そのままにする意を表す。
(To accept a certain state of things and express one's desire to leave things that way.)
「悪口を言う奴には勝手に言わせておけ」「私のことはほっておいてください」

So the speaker is accepting the fact that different people have different values and letting them have those values and say their piece.
Kuzunoha13 Wrote:So, I would guess - The Titans who lurk in the { [depths of darkness] and [surface of light] } of the tethered self.
PS this 其 is 其の (その).

Making this something like "the sealed-off darkness(/depths)."

This also makes sense in context of the story.
Oh, anime songs♪
jcdietz03 Wrote:What is the meaning of ておく in this example:

「本ってもん」 is only referring to books themselves rather than "things like books".

This「〜ておく」is more like just allowing things to be as they are. Maybe you know ほっとく (放っておく). It rarely gets translated, especially as 'in advance', but it's an important nuance when you're speaking Japanese.

「〜ばいい」 is more like "should" in this case, and "as for" is generally best avoided for 「は」unless necessary -> "Should I just let people who want to say those things say them?"
I still think this thread is confusing vs. the word/phrase one. In my opinion, this thread should be reserved for questions that are actually about *translation* -- that is, not just understanding what a sentence means, but asking about how to translate it into English. Learners often behave as if these are the same thing but they are in fact very different.
SO I wanted suggestions/input on how to translate this into real english. I know exactly what it means in Japanese (I don't need any lengthy explanations) but am kinda unsure how to say it in english.

偵察がばれて引込みがつくなくなったのさ

so here's the context: person a found person b and then accused person b of spying. then person b starts saying weird stuff and makes a threat indirectly. Person b leaves and then person a says this line to someone else. so I think person a is referring to the "threat" when he says 引込みがつくなくなったのさ

here's the japanese definition of hikkomi ga tsukanai just to spur people's imaginations
言った事や やり始めた事が、間違いだったと気づくなどして、取り消したり やめたり(=引込む)したいのだけれど、周囲の人たちがどう思うか考えると、自分の名誉のために やめられない。といった状態です。

These are what I came up with but I would love to hear other people's thoughts.
偵察がばれて引込みがつくなくなったのさ

He had to go through with his spiel because he got caught spying.

He put up a front because couldn't pull out anymore since we found him. ( I feel like the " couldn't pull out " doesn't work even though it's the direct translation because nothing was explicitly said. you have to inference that he's referring to the crap the other guy said)
Edited: 2014-07-19, 10:02 am
I wrote a Lang-8 entry about wanting to play L4d2 with someone while we practice conversation, and this is the response I got.

むむ…あんま日本では知られてないようなゲームだなぁ…したいのは山々なんですが、来年が受験なんでこれプレイしてたら試験会場が葬式場になりそうです。受験終わったらなんかやりましょう!

I just wanna check my understanding of this because I feel like something's going over my head.

He's saying that the game's not very well known in Japan, and he would like to check it out, but he's been busy with exams, but when his exams are over he'd like to play, right?
Thequadehunter Wrote:I wrote a Lang-8 entry about wanting to play L4d2 with someone while we practice conversation, and this is the response I got.

むむ…あんま日本では知られてないようなゲームだなぁ…したいのは山々なんですが、来年が受験なんでこれプレイしてたら試験会場が葬式場になりそうです。受験終わったらなんかやりましょう!

I just wanna check my understanding of this because I feel like something's going over my head.

He's saying that the game's not very well known in Japan, and he would like to check it out, but he's been busy with exams, but when his exams are over he'd like to play, right?
Well, yeah, he says he'd like to play something when his exams are over next year.

The year or so leading up to college entrance exams is pretty crazy for Japanese who want to get into a good college, haha.
Cool, guess my response made sense then, thank god. I've had some pretty hilarious misunderstanding on Lang-8 before. Thanks a lot.
Hi I need help with this song's lyrics. I tried finding lyrics for 恋さくミライ but all I found is a chinese site posting the lyrics. I can't find any japanese site with the lyrics. So I did got them but they got some weird kanji's on them. Mind helping me translating the lyrics to pure japanese with "real kanji".

You can listen to the song here

恋さくミライ
歌:佐笑纱花
作词:rino
作编曲:大久保薫

きらめく空に 愿い込めて
この気持ち届けたい
恋が咲くその时 特别な笑颜で
会えるかな

ある风に弾む桜の羽 木漏れ日の中
はしゃいでいるみたい
私だけが知ってる横颜
靴を取りずっとハミングしてる

何故か 気になる
それが はじまり
ただひとことが上手に言えなくて
君の瞳を 行ったり来たりなんです
幸せまで台词次第だ

膨らむハートを抱きしめたら
迷わないで駆け出そう
大切にギュッてして 受け止めて欲しいよ
恋さくミライ 二人バッチで
追いかけてギュッとキャッチした
(君の 隣り ずっと)
笑颜になれる 恋しよう
Edited: 2014-08-11, 1:58 pm
kasugano Wrote:Mind helping me translating the lyrics to pure japanese with "real kanji".
I didn't check this, just cut and pasted it for you: http://pazdracomp.seesaa.net/article/401647454.html

きらめくガチャに願い込めて
この気持ち届けたい
ソニアが出る その時
特別な笑顔で 会えるかなぁ?

春風にはずむ桜の羽
木洩れ日の中 はしゃいでいるみたい
私だけが知っている横顔
靴をとり ずっと ハミングしてる

何故か気になる それが始まり
たった一言が 上手に言えなくて 
キミの瞳を行ったり来たりなんです
幸せ(ソニア・イザナギ・メイメイ)までダッシュしたいな~

膨らむ期待を抱きしめたら
迷わないでガチャしよう
大切にぎゅってして受け止めて欲しいよ

恋さく未来 ふたりぼっちで
追いかけて キュートに キャッチした 
きみの~ となり~ ずっと~
笑顔になれる ガチャしよう
I tweeted a question to an artist and their reply is far past my ability to translate. could someone please give me a rouge translation as to what they're saying. マミさや is pairing name, MamiSaya in case that was unclear.

今回のさやマミ合同は主催者さんの意向でさやマミ、マミさや、のみ、の話を集めた合同になります!ので、最初から最後まで他カップリング前提の話はありませんので、もしあれでしたらご注意くださいませ〜

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Basically she's only doing MamiSaya, so if you want Madoka or Homura or anyone like that you're out of luck.
yudantaiteki Wrote:Basically she's only doing MamiSaya, so if you want Madoka or Homura or anyone like that you're out of luck.
Okay, that's about what I figured. Thanks for the help.

00:13-00:16

1:04-1:07

2:08-2:10

3:01-3:04

3:54-57

4:40-4:43

5:45-5:49

7:03-7:04

What are the best translations for what the bosses say with voice acting?
Mega Man! Good times.
Here are my translations (along with the Japanese lines).

Areje Wrote:00:13-00:16
ぶっ潰してやる!覚悟しな!
I'm gonna crush you! Prepare yourself!

Areje Wrote:1:04-1:07
この攻撃・・・かわせるか!?
Can you dodge this attack!?

Areje Wrote:2:08-2:10
はやく遊ぼう〜よ〜!
Let's hurry up and play!

Areje Wrote:3:01-3:04
私の相手をするなんて、10年早いわ!
You're ten years too early to be picking me as your opponent!

Areje Wrote:3:54-57
嬉しいぜ〜!久しぶりの戦いだ!
I'm glad! It's been a while since I had a good fight!

Areje Wrote:4:40-4:43
さらばだ!海の藻屑と消えるがいい!
Farewell! A watery grave awaits you!
(Took extra liberty with this one. The phrase "藻屑と消える" is a saying that means to die at sea and the boss is wishing this upon Mega Man.)

Areje Wrote:5:45-5:49
ヒヨッ子めが、地面にへばりついていればいいものを!
Damn fledgling! Stay on the ground!

Areje Wrote:7:03-7:04
力こそが全てだ!
Power is everything!

↑Also fun to note that this boss yells "Hadouken" and "Shoryuken" as he performs those attacks.
Edited: 2014-12-09, 9:25 pm