Back

Honto.jp how ??

Hello, I want to get my japanese manga from honto.jp, but I have no idea of how to enter my adress. There isn´t any option for abroad.

Can someone please help me?
The way it works for me if I go to my address edit option: there are 2 tabs above the address one is 国内 the other is 海外, just select the latter. I'm a long time customer, since the bk1 days so I'm not sure how it works when registering a new account.
A bit off-topic but is Honto.jp one of the better options for buying books? Currently use Kinokuniya. I'm in America by the way.
JapanesePod101
I used to use Honto a lot more often when it was BK1. It's possible a good option if you're able to wait and need to save money on shipping. SAL can save you a decent amount of money if you don't need the books anytime soon. (But if you're ordering a metric ton of books, Amazon may be cheaper.)

If you're in a hurry (if you need it in less than 2 weeks), I'd use something else.

My main problem with Honto is that they print overseas labels like Japanese labels, so my packages would confuse the US sorting machines, and it would take a month to get an air-mail package. (That should take 10 days, max.) Amazon.co.jp costs more (ridiculously more sometimes), but it gets here in 2-3 days, tops. When Honto was BK1, I never had this problem.

Hontos inventory system is really a guess. Sometimes it'll say something ships in 1-2 days, and really it's out of stock. Or it actually ships in 4-6 days, or 7-21. From my experience, if it says 7-21 days, it's 50/50 that they'll have it in 7-21 days. (Otherwise, they can't get it at all.)

Not sure if the Honto e-book reader will actually work overseas.

They used to offer overseas magazine subscriptions at dirt cheap prices-- you'd get the magazines by SAL, so usually a month behind, but the prices could not be beat... then they got rid of it. :\

They may have brought it back in the two years since I last used them for magazines, but I went elsewhere.

The last problem with Honto, and one that still boggles my mind in this day and age, is that they don't tell you how much shipping will cost until they bundle up the package and ship it out. You can kind of guess by weighing similar books, but really, they're the *only* online retailer I know that does this, and it makes it difficult to comparison shop with other bookseller.

JList/JBox also do magazines as well. A bit pricey, but they pack well and are reliable, they have EN support, and have quick support turn-around.
The first google result for "how to buy from honto". You can enter any random Japanese address, it doesn't matter. You can pick your actual shipping address when you checkout, and that part allows you to use your overseas one. They even have a tab that uses English fields on that page, if I recall correctly.

I use honto and think it's great, especially when Amazon's shipping to Australia is about 5 or 6 times the price of the book itself. In that respect, the several week wait is not a bad compromise at all.
Edited: 2013-09-17, 1:56 am
Thanks, now it finally worked and I can order my stuff.
TheVinster Wrote:A bit off-topic but is Honto.jp one of the better options for buying books? Currently use Kinokuniya. I'm in America by the way.
Slightly OT: Have you used Kinokuniya since they changed their website? Their shipping used to be the best for me (meaning sane; I used to get stuff sent from their NY store within a couple days, not this $13 boat mail w/ no tracking as the minimum like White Rabbit and Amazon.jp), but now it looks like everything comes straight from Japan, and not their retail stock? Used to be a lot better selection too. Sad
raeesmerelda Wrote:
TheVinster Wrote:A bit off-topic but is Honto.jp one of the better options for buying books? Currently use Kinokuniya. I'm in America by the way.
Slightly OT: Have you used Kinokuniya since they changed their website? Their shipping used to be the best for me (meaning sane; I used to get stuff sent from their NY store within a couple days, not this $13 boat mail w/ no tracking as the minimum like White Rabbit and Amazon.jp), but now it looks like everything comes straight from Japan, and not their retail stock? Used to be a lot better selection too. Sad
Had to look in my trash folder for the receipt but found it. Last time I ordered was August 6th and the shipping was $8. That crap took like... 3 weeks to arrive. It seems it may have been before the website design as I just looked at the website a second ago. I imagine this was during the transition and perhaps my books got sent from Japan thus the 3 week thing? I don't know but I was pretty mad seeing as my previous orders didn't take nearly as long.
netsplitter Wrote:You can enter any random Japanese address, it doesn't matter.
I've, uh, heard about people who do this to make a 国内 itunes account for free podcasts (no jp plastic).