Back

cb's OCR Manga Reader for Android

outbackup Wrote:Maybe wrong type of files?
OCR Manga Reader supports these file formats: CBZ, CBR, ZIP, RAR, PNG, JPG, BMP

outbackup Wrote:Any suggestions as to where I can download free manga to try OCR out?
Piracy talk is not allowed on this forum. Should be easy enough to find on Google though.

outbackup Wrote:Do you need to download dictionaries separately?
No, it comes with a built-in dictionary.
I have a couple of questions - apologies if they are annoying...

1. Can this be used with hard copies of manga, via photos, for example?
2. Can it deal with furigana?
3. Can it output the text as is, or does it just look up words in the dictionary?

(Basically I am looking for something that will save me typing in sentences from Meitantei Conan to make anki cards...)

That's more than a couple. Sorry, I'm on my phone...
Taurus Wrote:I have a couple of questions - apologies if they are annoying...

1. Can this be used with hard copies of manga, via photos, for example?
2. Can it deal with furigana?
3. Can it output the text as is, or does it just look up words in the dictionary?

(Basically I am looking for something that will save me typing in sentences from Meitantei Conan to make anki cards...)

That's more than a couple. Sorry, I'm on my phone...
1) Yes.
2) No.
3) Both.

Might be kind of a pain though for your purpose.
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
Thanks. I guess any OCR will have trouble with furigana which kinda rules it out for Conan - maybe I will give it a go on some novels though. Cheers!
I have just released version 2.2 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v2.2 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Made improvements to OCR accuracy in a manner similar to that of the latest version of Capture2Text.

cb4960
Edited: 2014-10-26, 11:20 am
First post on this forum, just to say that this program is awesome, and that you're awesome. I made a small donation also. I hope you'll keep making awesome programs ^^

*Runs off to OCR-read Berserk*
Termy Wrote:First post on this forum, just to say that this program is awesome, and that you're awesome. I made a small donation also. I hope you'll keep making awesome programs ^^

*Runs off to OCR-read Berserk*
Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the forum.
I have just released version 2.3 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v2.3 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Fixed bug that prevented light text on a dark background from OCRing correctly.

● Updated the built-in dictionary (EDICT).

cb4960
Edited: 2014-10-26, 11:19 am
I have just released version 2.4 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v2.4 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Will now attempt to strip furigana before OCR.

● Added mouse wheel support.

● Changed some default settings.

cb4960
Edited: 2014-10-26, 11:19 am
Thank you so much for this killer tool. It made reading kanji intensive manga a breeze.

The only thing I would love to see is an ability to select an entire text and have the tool display each word similarly to what visual novel reading tools do.

Have you thought about including such feature somewhere in the future?
I can't find this on google play... Google gave me a 404 error when I followed a link in?

But that aside...could this be used on my PC, or is there an equivalent tool that could be? This looks like such an awesome tool. Unfortunately, I don't think it will work on my Galaxy S3 phone, and that's my only android device.
jessem Wrote:could this be used on my PC, or is there an equivalent tool that could be?
Have you looked at KanjiTomo? http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=9971
@jessem, also http://capture2text.sourceforge.net/ might have better kana?
I got v2.4 onto my Kindle Fire, but when I open it and tap the logo as instructed, the options menu (the one that says 'Open' 'Settings' 'Close') flashes onscreen really quickly and disappears. Sad Has anyone else had this experience??
I have just released version 3.0 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v3.0 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Added frequency information.

● Added ability to lookup the next/previous words in the OCR'd text. Just tap the upper-right arrow buttons.

● Added customizable buttons to the left, right, top, and bottom edges. By default, these buttons are not mapped.

● Added option to set the action to take when the OCR Send button is pressed. By default, a list of send destinations will be displayed just like in previous versions. In my setup, I've set the Send key to always open the OCR Error Correction Editor instead.

● (Advanced) Added the known/todo word marker (looks at known_words.txt and todo_words.txt). See website for details.

● Added scroll amount option.

● EPWING feature now works with Android 5.0.

● Added a separate .apk for devices based on the x86 architecture (untested). Only affects the EPWING feature.

● Fixed some crash bugs.

● Fixed Yahoo Jisho search paths.

● Removed the Show/Hide button. I didn't think it was particularly useful.

● Other minor GUI tweaks.

cb4960
I have just released version 3.1 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v3.1 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Update the EDICT and frequency databases.

cb4960
any plans for an iOS version?
kraemder Wrote:any plans for an iOS version?
No.
I have just released version 3.2 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v3.2 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Added Bluetooth keyboard shortcuts.

● Holding the primary (left) mouse button while scrolling the mouse wheel up/down will now zoom in/out.

cb4960
I have just released version 4.0 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v4.0 via SourceForge

What Changed?

Added ability to save an entry to a word list. To do this:

1) Tap "Settings > OCR > Misc > Word List Save File Path" and select an existing .txt or .tsv file.
2) Configure the format of the saved entries by tapping "Settings > OCR > Misc > Word List Save File Format". You can select from the following choices:
- Expression
- Expression [tab] Reading
- Expression [tab] Reading [tab] Definition
- Expression [tab] Reading [tab] Definition [tab] Frequency
3) The next time you OCR a word, you may tap the Send button, and then select "Word List Save File" from the list of destinations.

Added support for optional name dictionary (ENAMDICT). To enable:

1) Download the name dictionary (enamdict.sqlite) from SourceForge.
2) Copy the name dictionary to "<sdcard>/Android/data/com.cb4960.ocrmr/files/"
3) Restart OCR Manga Reader. The next time you OCR some text, entries from the name dictionary will appear after all of the normal dictionary entries in the Dictionary Panel. You may need to scroll down to see them.

cb4960
I have just released version 4.1 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v4.1 via SourceForge

What Changed?

Added support for optional kanji dictionary. See the OCR Manga Reader webpage for details.

cb4960
I have just released version 5.0 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v5.0 via SourceForge

What Changed?

Added two-page layout. Usage: Tap the button in the top left corner to show the menu and then select "Toggle Two-Page Layout....". If desired, this action may be mapped to a button/swipe/etc.

Added ability to take a photo and OCR it. Usage: Tap the button in the top left corner to show the menu and then select "Take Photo....". This will temporarily transfer control to the camera app installed on your device. After taking a photo using the camera app, control will be transferred back to OCR Manga Reader and OCR mode will automatically be entered. If desired, this action may be mapped to a button/swipe/etc.

cb4960
This is a really useful app. How difficult is it in the android world to make an ocr like this that could be used over any app, like how fb messenger works, where it hovers but you could highlight text in any app?
(2015-12-30, 5:23 pm)xtreme1 Wrote: This is a really useful app. How difficult is it in the android world to make an ocr like this that could be used over any app, like how fb messenger works, where it hovers but you could highlight text in any app?

Not sure. It might be possible for rooted devices.
I have just released version 5.1 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v5.1 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Updated Tesseract OCR library to version 3.05dev (160105 snapshot). You should notice improved OCR accuracy.

cb4960
Edited: 2016-01-20, 10:37 pm