Back

cb's OCR Manga Reader for Android

cb4960 Wrote:If anybody else would like to share what device they are using, please feel free.
Oops, missed this.

THL W8 Beyond
5 inch, 1980*1080 display
quad-core 1.5Ghz CPU
1GiB RAM
Android 4.2.1

If you put a donate option on the Playstore- or anywhere- I'll donate.
I'm going to test this out on my Galaxy Note 8.0 and my old Motorola XOOM. Both are running variants of 4.1 I think. My GNex just doesn't have any free storage these days. Ugh.
netsplitter Wrote:cb should get a commission from all these Android sales :p. I have a Nexus 10 and will gladly try this when I get home.
Smile

netsplitter Wrote:Any interest in putting your work on GitHub? You're more likely to get contributors that way, if you care for that.
Thanks for the suggestion. Maybe I'll look into it someday
EPIC SALE: Get 30% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! (Sept 18 - 29)
JapanesePod101
toshiromiballza Wrote:You should put two versions on the Play store; free and donate.
Sounds like a good idea. I wonder what a reasonable donation price would be. $5?
uisukii Wrote:
cb4960 Wrote:If anybody else would like to share what device they are using, please feel free.
Oops, missed this.

THL W8 Beyond
5 inch, 1980*1080 display
quad-core 1.5Ghz CPU
1GiB RAM
Android 4.2.1

If you put a donate option on the Playstore- or anywhere- I'll donate.
You can donate via Paypal. There is a link to my account at the top of the Capture2Text page. Paypal's cut is a lot less than Google's cut.
Edited: 2013-09-05, 8:04 pm
Tested it out on a Nexus 7 and worked fine for the most part.

Is there any plans for the OCR to read more than just the first word of the sentence? I might have to hold off on a tablet purchase for that.
s0apgun Wrote:Tested it out on a Nexus 7 and worked fine for the most part.

Is there any plans for the OCR to read more than just the first word of the sentence? I might have to hold off on a tablet purchase for that.
Yes, in the future I plan to have an option to gloss the OCR'd text similar to the way JGlossator does it instead of looking up the first word rikaichan-style.

Also, if you know, was that a 1st or 2nd generation Nexus 7?
Edited: 2013-09-07, 12:12 am
1st gen sorry I should have included that. Smile
cb4960 Wrote:Sounds like a good idea. I wonder what a reasonable donation price would be. $5?
Go with 3.99$ or 4.99$ Smile
I have just released version 1.1 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v1.1 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Changed the "OCR -> Hide/Show" setting text to "OCR -> Layout". Merely a cosmetic change.

● Added the "OCR -> Layout -> Simplified layout (portrait)" setting. The "Simplified" layout is now the default. It places the text orientation, binarize, send, and hide/show features in a menu that appears when the new Menu button is tapped. With this mode enabled, devices with smaller phone-sized screens should no longer display overlapping buttons. Tablet users might want to uncheck this option to go back to original layout and avoid the extra tap required to access these features. (Thanks all who helped with this!).

● Added the "OCR -> Layout -> Simplified layout (landscape)" setting. Same deal as above, but for landscape mode.

● Added "Advanced -> Max zoom factor" setting. (Thanks RawToast!). Changed the default from 2.0 to 5.0.

● Added "Advanced -> Zoom increment" setting. Amount to zoom by when the screen is double-tapped. Default is 2.5.

● Added auto-repeat action to the nudge buttons. (Thanks RawToast!). So you may now hold the nudge buttons down to make slight adjustments to the capture box.

● Fixed de-inflections not working when switching screen orientation.

● On single tap don't display menu if the action is set to None.

cb4960
Edited: 2014-10-26, 11:21 am
Works good on Nook HD+.

Couple of minor suggestions:
The buttons to move the box around seem rather small on a 9 inch screen. I have trouble pressing the one I want.

The buttons at the bottom for turning pages don't work very well for me, because unless I hit it just right, without moving my finger sideways at all, it thinks im trying to move the page around on the screen, and doesnt register a page turn. I dont really care though, I prefer flicking to turn the page.
Zarxrax Wrote:Works good on Nook HD+.

Couple of minor suggestions:
The buttons to move the box around seem rather small on a 9 inch screen. I have trouble pressing the one I want.

The buttons at the bottom for turning pages don't work very well for me, because unless I hit it just right, without moving my finger sideways at all, it thinks im trying to move the page around on the screen, and doesnt register a page turn. I dont really care though, I prefer flicking to turn the page.
Glad you got it working on the Nook HD+. Seems like a lot of tablet for $110.

Those two issues kinda annoy me as well. I'll see about fixing them in the next release (this weekend probably).
everything works fine on HTC ONE

Android 4.2.2
1080p
2gb ram
snapdragon 600 Quad-Core
Works fine on my Nexus 10. Thanks for making this available.
Thanks for sharing your devices.

Also thanks to those who have made a donation. The $25 Google Play registration fee for developers has already been met!
I'll try it later on an LG Optimus L3 (3.2", 384 MB RAM, 240x320, single-core 1 GHz CPU (overclocked), Android 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod)). I'll edit the post when I do.

Edit: works ok on both 800 (stock) and 1000 MHz.

You should also register at http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forumdispl...discussion and start a thread. I think a lot of people there would appreciate it. They'd find your other applications quite useful as well, IMO.
Edited: 2013-09-14, 3:24 am
toshiromiballza Wrote:I'll try it later on an LG Optimus L3 (3.2", 384 MB RAM, 240x320, single-core 1 GHz CPU (overclocked), Android 4.0.4 (CyanogenMod)). I'll edit the post when I do.

Edit: works ok on both 800 (stock) and 1000 MHz.
Thanks, I appreciate your testing. It's good to know that it runs even on low-end devices.

toshiromiballza Wrote:You should also register at http://www.hongfire.com/forum/forumdispl...discussion and start a thread. I think a lot of people there would appreciate it. They'd find your other applications quite useful as well, IMO.
Maybe I'll do that.
I have just released version 1.2 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v1.2 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Corner button taps now register even if user slides their finger a little. (Thanks Zarxrax!).

● Added the "OCR -> Layout -> Large Nudge Buttons" setting. (Thanks Zarxrax!).

cb4960
Edited: 2014-10-26, 11:20 am
This app did manage to make me purchase a Nexus 7, but beforehand I installed in on the display model at my local PC World Tongue

I need to get round to buying your donate version cb. Maybe I'll remember tonight and I'll check out your changes on the larger display.
I have just released version 1.3 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v1.3 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● Enabled "Immersive Mode" which removes the navigation bar on devices that have one. Only affects Android 4.4+ devices. To briefly show the navigation bar, swipe down from the top of the screen. Also added an Exit button to the top-right corner that can be used in addition to the back button to exit OCR mode.

● Dictionary panel should now display proper Japanese glyphs instead of Chinese glyphs when device's language is not set to Japanese. Only affects Android 4.4+ devices.

cb4960
I have just released version 2.0 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v2.0 via SourceForge

What Changed?

Added EPWING dictionary support!
You can provide up to 4 EPWING dictionaries to use. The results from all user-provided EPWING dictionaries and the built-in EDICT dictionary are displayed in the dictionary panel at the same time. The EDICT results will be displayed below the EPWING results.

The following is a screenshot showing default settings. The results from 『研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版』、 『広辞苑第六版』、 『明鏡国語辞典』 and EDICT are shown. The shortened name of the dictionary will appear to the right of the reading:

[Image: sf_epwing_no_examples.png]

Same screenshot with example sentences enabled. By default, up to 3 example sentences are shown:

[Image: sf_epwing_with_examples.png]

Same screenshot with a crazy color scheme:

[Image: sf_epwing_color.png]

Same screenshot with the "Parse entries" setting disabled. This displays the "raw" untouched text from the dictionary. The following dictionaries can be parsed: 『研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版』、 『研究社 新英和・和英中辞典』、 『広辞苑第六版』、 『大辞泉』、 『三省堂 スーパー大辞林』、 『大辞林 第2版』、 『明鏡国語辞典』. If a dictionary is not in the above list, it will be automatically displayed "raw":

[Image: sf_epwing_raw.png]

The EPWING settings:

[Image: sf_settings_epwing.png]
[Image: sf_settings_epwing_choose_dics.png]

cb4960
That's an awesome feature! Even KanjiTomo doesn't do EPWING. I still don't have an Android tablet unfortunately but this will be the first thing I install when I get one. Thanks for making this Smile In the meantime I'll see if I can get a taste of it on my nexus 4.
Great app! I added it to the wiki.^-^
I have just released version 2.1 of OCR Manga Reader.

Download OCR Manga Reader v2.1 via SourceForge

What Changed?

● For EPWING searches, don't kanjify the word before lookup.
● For EPWING searches, if the definition is blank and parsing is enabled, display the first example sentence instead.
● When "Show screen number" is enabled, also show the total page count.
● Fixed bug in 『研究社 新和英大辞典 第5版』 search where the definition wasn't shown if it did not contain any alpha characters.

cb4960
Help!
I can't open any comics on this. It doesn't find/see my downloaded files. I tried viewing zip files after unpacking them, but still no good. Maybe wrong type of files?
Any suggestions as to where I can download free manga to try OCR out?

Do you need to download dictionaries separately?