Back

Anki Small Questions Thread

You could strip out the big media files and offer them as a separate download link to a dropbox or something. the deck itself should be just a few 10s of megs. You could probably get a way with uploading the copyrighted material as long as you don't specifically say it's copyrighted. Or for better karma, strip out the copyrighted material if the deck would be useful to others without it. Also, though unlikely, some of the copyrighted material might be permissible under fair use.
Edited: 2018-01-22, 4:22 pm
(2018-01-22, 4:21 pm)yogert909 Wrote: You could strip out the big media files and offer them as a separate download link to a dropbox or something.  the deck itself should be just a few 10s of megs.  You could probably get a way with uploading the copyrighted material as long as you don't specifically say it's copyrighted.  Or for better karma, strip out the copyrighted material if the deck would be useful to others without it.  Also, though unlikely, some of the copyrighted material might be permissible under fair use.

It turned out to be surprisingly small after excluding the media files, only 8.5mb for 34800 notes. I think the main appeal of the deck would be the fact there are short contextual sentences for most of the words, all taken from Japanese dictionaries, so stripping it of that would make it much less appealing I think. I also wondered about the fair use thing, and whether there would be someone out there who would try to protect their copyright on this even if they did find out about it. It's still far from perfect and I want to improve it further, but I think I'll take the chance to share it at some point and upload the media separately like you suggested.