Back

Anki Small Questions Thread

The standard method for adding info to cards is to export one deck to text, then re-import the info into the 2nd deck with "update duplicates" turned on. The downside to this method is that if you have any study data associated with the first deck it will be lost. But I don't think there will be a way to preserver that data regardless. You would also want to make sure that there are no duplicates within each deck, or at least allow for the possibility.

So if the info I'd like to add from Deck B is "ID" I need to make an "ID" field on Deck A? Is that it?
Yes. And you would also need to make sure that the first field of deck A containes unique values that anki will use to determine which notes are duplicates.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
What's that trick that is sometimes discussed here to avoid over-reviews inside anki? I remember something about the interval modifier but I'm not sure...
Hello there, I have two Anki questions I haven't found an answer to despite searching the web:

1) I have my RTK deck that I have slowly gone through until completing it. Now I want to add Japanese keywords to it. I understand that I need to create a new field called "J_keyword" in the Production card, and it will initially be empty. Now, I also have an Excel containing all these japanese keywords along their kanji counterpart. I want to know if there's a way of importing this new field into my existing deck from Excel/plain text, and how I would do that. Or do I have to manually and painfully go through the whole deck and add one by one the Japanese keyword to each note? I know how to import Excel files as new Anki decks, but that would not include my personal reviews from my already studied Anki deck i.e. I would have to start reviewing "one", "two" etc from the start again (and I'm glad my reviews are going down, no need to bump them up again!).

2) I have Anki decks that I haven't touched in a long time but that I don't want to simply erase because the review steps and information on them is useful to me, i.e. maybe I retake Latin a year from now and I would be active on this Anki deck again. If I export this Anki deck, then delete the deck and then reimport the deck again, would it preserve the review data? This would be helpful to declutter my Anki from decks I'm not currently using, but still giving me the option of coming back to these decks in the future.
(2017-06-08, 10:06 am)KameDemaK Wrote: I have my RTK deck that I have slowly gone through until completing it. Now I want to add Japanese keywords to it. I understand that I need to create a new field called "J_keyword" in the Production card, and it will initially be empty. Now, I also have an Excel containing all these japanese keywords along their kanji counterpart. I want to know if there's a way of importing this new field into my existing deck from Excel/plain text, and how I would do that.
Make a spreadsheet with 2 columns. The first one matches the first field in your RTK deck (whether the kanji or the index number). The second one is your J_keyword field.
Then you need to export it as a UTF-8 text file. Tab-separated is probably the most reliable. I heard Excel can't do UTF-8 export, so might need to use LibreOffice instead, or convert the file after exporting it.
Backup your collection in case something goes wrong.
When you import the file, match up the 2 fields, and select the option to update duplicates.
https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.htm...d-updating

Quote:If I export this Anki deck, then delete the deck and then reimport the deck again, would it preserve the review data?
When you export as "apkg", there's an option to keep scheduling information, so that should be OK.

I made a deck called "trash", put things I wasn't sure if I wanted to delete under it, and set the daily new cards and review cap to 0. Then I can still look at the cards in the browser, and there's only one line of clutter.
Does Anki Mobile for iOS support add-ons?  

If not, then can I at least view Kanji & Kana in order to study?
I upgraded Anki and every file in the collection.media folder is gone. When I use the cards on Anki I can hear the audio but I don't know where media files are stored. What's worse is that when I create new decks with media files, I can't hear the audio even after copying the mp3 files in the collection.media folder (which is now empty).
Does anyone know what I should do?
Is it possible to set Anki to not test mature cards ever?
(2017-06-15, 11:37 am)TurboMan Wrote: I upgraded Anki and every file in the collection.media folder is gone. When I use the cards on Anki I can hear the audio but I don't know where media files are stored. What's worse is that when I create new decks with media files, I can't hear the audio even after copying the mp3 files in the collection.media folder (which is now empty).
Does anyone know what I should do?
The Anki user folders got moved. Check in the manual to see where they should be now on your OS. It seems there was some problem in your case, where they didn't entirely get moved, and some files were left behind.
I've been googling and googling but I haven't been able to figure out my problem.  

I've narrowed it down to maybe "card type".  I searched the thread but only found one post that was similar but that wasn't the answer either.

I want to start doing Remembering the Kanji using Anki.  I decided against creating a deck from scratch and downloaded " All in One Kanji Deck (Heisig's RTK Order, 6th edition)."   It had 31 stars, said 6th edition, and had good reviews.  Should I have gone with a different one?

The problem is that it goes from Kanji to Keyword instead of Keyword to Kanji.  Anyone able to tell me how to change the settings?  The deck also has lots of fields that are not needed for RTK but I figured out how to make it show only certain fields.  I tried deleting the recognition card type so it would only show recall card type but it wouldn't let me.  

Anyways what should I do?  Should I pick a different deck?  If you know a better one that's set up correctly for RTK please let me know.  Should I just use the Koohii site SRS?  I wan't to be able to study while I'm on my breaks at work that's why I went with Anki.
Edited: 2017-06-19, 5:16 pm
Edit: I think I misunderstood the question will try again.

@Adent:

I'm guessing you only have one card type which is why it won't let you delete the recognition type. Anyway I think what I initially typed might be what you need.

1 - Open Anki and open the RTK deck
2 - Click "Browse" at the top
3 - Hit Enter in the search box
4 - Click "Cards" below the list of cards
5 - Either hit flip
or - In the box labelled "Front Template" type:

Code:
{{The exact name of the field containing the keywords}}

and in the box labelled "Back Template" type:

Code:
{{FrontSide}}

<hr id=answer>

{{The exact name of the field containing the Kanji}}

If you already have both recall and recognition card types then you can probably just suspend the one you don't want by selecting them all in the browser (the one you get to by clicking browse).
Edited: 2017-06-19, 6:15 pm
Okay thanks!  With your instructions I just suspended all the recognition cards.  Now I only have the recall cards and I just have to edit the fields so it'll look how I want.
Edited: 2017-06-19, 6:45 pm
(2017-06-10, 10:54 am)Kinetix Wrote: Does Anki Mobile for iOS support add-ons?  

If not, then can I at least view Kanji & Kana in order to study?

As far as I've seen it doesn't. However, some add ons it really doesn't matter - Japanese support for example you can add furigana to cards on your desktop and then the cards get saved and copied to your mobile when you synch. I don't know what you mean by view Kanji and kana.
I was just wondering. Where would be a good place to ask questions to ask questions about add-on development in general, i.e. anki-python related.
Would this thread be a good idea? The add-on section at the official forums seems dead when it comes to support for new developers.
Anki add-ons 'work' by monkey-patching the application classes.

Your best bet is to look at the source for a few existing add-ons (which is what I did).
Writing add-ons for Anki is easy for the reasons that @anotherjohn pointed out. And since it's monkey-patching the possibilities are endless - I seem to remember an add-on that was running a web server as part of it's functionality. Ah, I remember now, it was Anki Connector for Yominchan for Google Chrome.
Thanks, I'll do that.

Just a small question regarding the development environment. How do you guys do it?
I test it directly inside Anki, restarting everytime I make changes to the code which I guess is inefficient and probably not how you guys do it.
-----
I guess minor questions related to add-on development are fine in this thread since they're not really technical issues?
Edited: 2017-07-06, 11:52 pm
Never had a need for anything more than alert window/dialog.

I would be interested in more advanced techniques myself but I'm guessing that asking about such details would go beyond scope of this thread Sad

Anki forum could be the place for more technical questions, should you have such.
(2017-07-06, 1:25 pm)anotherjohn Wrote: Anki add-ons 'work' by monkey-patching the application classes.

Your best bet is to look at the source for a few existing add-ons (which is what I did).

And, you know, the Anki source code. Smile (my personal add-ons interfere with it on such a low level that I really should have just forked Anki itself).

Since no one's linked it yet, the add-on writing guide: https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/addons.html
Oh, and the annotated schema: https://github.com/ankidroid/Anki-Androi...-Structure

(2017-07-06, 10:44 pm)polyturn Wrote: Just a small question regarding the development environment. How do you guys do it?
I test it directly inside Anki, restarting everytime I make changes to the code which I guess is inefficient and probably not how you guys do it.

I do the same (temporarily turning off automatic backup/sync for faster restarts), but as the add-on guide mentions, there's a REPL.
Edited: 2017-07-09, 4:50 am
(2017-07-06, 10:44 pm)polyturn Wrote: Just a small question regarding the development environment. How do you guys do it?
The Python "reload" operation can live-reload modules, with some caveats.

Multi-file addons can reload their own submodules at appropriate times:
https://github.com/HelenFoster/KanjiVoca...jiVocab.py
https://github.com/HelenFoster/KanjiVoca...cab/run.py

And I just wrote an "Addon Reloader" for single-file addons:
https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/348783334

(A module can't meaningfully reload itself.)
Is it normal that I cannot make Japanese note type to display furigana on the front of the card template? Or, Am I doing something wrong?

{{furigana:field}} command just does not show any kana on the front of the card template, but it displays furigana on the back side of the card. If this is not normal, anyone have an idea how to solve it?
Question on Options Groups

How do you guys set up your options groups? Currently I know mine are all messed up and I basically keep everything where it is and do custom study to increase reviews on specific decks.

Also I know I have a lot of decks+subdecks. What would be your recommendation for consolidation. Core all one deck, RTK all one deck, and Tae Kim all one deck (w/ appropriate tags of course)? I know Anki docs recommends making just one "Japanese" deck with tags, but that seems kind of ridiculous to me, especially since I only use Anki for Japanese.

Currently My decks are as so:
Core2k/6k
=>English Translate (Cloze)
=>Listening
=>Reading

RTK
=>Production
=>Recognition

Tae Kim
=>Recognition
==>Basic,Intermediate,etc....
=>Production (Type full sentence)
==>Basic,Intermediate,etc....

Various themed vocab decks

(2017-07-10, 1:02 pm)ShotOkan Wrote: Is it normal that I cannot make Japanese note type to display furigana on the front of the card template? Or, Am I doing something wrong?

{{furigana:field}} command just does not show any kana on the front of the card template, but it displays furigana on the back side of the card. If this is not normal, anyone have an idea how to solve it?
iirc, if its the Japanese Support plugin you're referring to, you need your fields named a specific way.

See Japanese Support Doc
Quote:To use reading generation with your own note types:

- Ensure you have two fields named exactly Expression and Reading.
- Ensure the note type contains "Japanese" in its name, eg "My Textbook Japanese"
- When adding cards, input kanji into the Expression field and hit tab to have the Reading field populated.

To show furigana with your own note types:

- You need a directive like "{{furigana:Reading}}" in your card templates.
- The Reading field must be formatted in a special way with brackets. After every word should come the reading in brackets, followed by a space. It is not intended to be entered in manually; it is intended to be automatically generated as described in the above section.
Edited: 2017-07-10, 3:24 pm
(2017-07-10, 1:02 pm)ShotOkan Wrote: Is it normal that I cannot make Japanese note type to display furigana on the front of the card template? Or, Am I doing something wrong?

If you are seeing furigana on the back then your markup is working correctly.  I'm guessing you are adding the code to the bottom box which is the code box for the back of the card.  Move your {{furigana:field}} code to the top code box to get furigana on the front.

Also note that the field needs to have furigana encoded in brackets for the code to have any effect.  But is seems your field is encoded correctly if it is indeed showing furigana.
Edited: 2017-07-10, 5:00 pm
(2017-07-10, 4:21 pm)yogert909 Wrote:

If you are seeing furigana on the back then your markup is working correctly.  I'm guessing you are adding the code to the bottom box which is the code box for the back of the card.  Move your {{furigana:field}} code to the top code box to get furigana on the front.

Also note that the field needs to have furigana encoded in brackets for the code to have any effect.  But is seems your field is encoded correctly if it is indeed showing furigana.

No, I am adding the code to the top code box and it does not generate furigana on the front of the card.