Back

Anki Small Questions Thread

Look closely at the import screen when you try to do the import... is there a checkbox that says something like "create new cards, do not update" or something like that? I think that might be checked by default.
like tanaquil said, but it's a dropdown with 3 options:  update existing cards, do not import duplicates, & import duplicates.  ...or something like that.  Obviously you want update existing cards.
Maybe my last small question for a while. If I get a leech in Anki and it's suspended, then I wait awhile or something and go to unsuspend it, does anything get reset? Does it get 6 more failed attempts allowed (if my leech setting is six)? Or is it now outside the leech formula and it just gets repeated until I manually suspend it (unless I learned it this time and don't need it)
JapanesePod101
(2017-02-02, 11:35 pm)kraemder Wrote: Maybe my last small question for a while. If I get a leech in Anki and it's suspended, then I wait  awhile or something and go to unsuspend it, does anything get reset?  Does it get 6 more failed attempts allowed (if my leech setting is six)?  Or is it now outside the leech formula and it just gets repeated until I manually suspend it (unless I learned it this time and don't need it)
Yeah, it's back to the start and gets the full leech-number of attempts before it suspends again. Anki assumes that you did something to fix the problem (re-study the material outside of Anki, reformulate the card, etc., or just wait out similar cards that were causing interference) and lets you study it all over again. I believe the accumulated 'ease' penalties are retained though so the intervals will be relatively short (by the time you've passed it enough to recover to normal 'ease' you'll be on year+ intervals).
This is only for cards that are  auto-suspended as leeches. I don't believe that your leech count is affected by manually suspending cards.
Hi, I have what I hope is a simple question.

If I'm in the middle of working through a deck in Anki, and I'm on card #X, and I decide I'd like to skip the next one hundred cards, how do I "jump" to card #X+100 and resume studying the deck at #X+100?  Thanks.
(2017-02-27, 11:27 pm)phil321 Wrote: Hi, I have what I hope is a simple question.

If I'm in the middle of working through a deck in Anki, and I'm on card #X, and I decide I'd like to skip the next one hundred cards, how do I "jump" to card #X+100 and resume studying the deck at #X+100?  Thanks.

Go into the browser, scroll down to as far as you've gotten, and then select the range of cards from X+1 to X+99 and then click suspend. You will have to remember to un-suspend them when you're ready to study them.

(Well, this actually only skips 99 cards, so you really have to decide if you want to skip 100 cards and start studying at X+101 or if you want to skip 99 cards and start studying at X+100.... but I figure you probably know what you want the next card to be.)
(2017-02-27, 11:33 pm)SomeCallMeChris Wrote:
(2017-02-27, 11:27 pm)phil321 Wrote: Hi, I have what I hope is a simple question.

Go into the browser, scroll down to as far as you've gotten, and then select the range of cards from X+1 to X+99 and then click suspend. You will have to remember to un-suspend them when you're ready to study them.

(Well, this actually only skips 99 cards, so you really have to decide if you want to skip 100 cards and start studying at X+101 or if you want to skip 99 cards and start studying at X+100.... but I figure you probably know what you want the next card to be.)

I did that and it worked.  Thanks so much!
Can I set different "new card limit" for separate decks? If yes, how?
Yes.  

Each deck can have it's own options but I'm guessing your decks are all using the same options group.  You would create a new options group for the deck that you want to change and make sure your deck is using that group.  Then you can change anything you like and it will only effect decks using that particular options group.

Unfortunately I don't have anki on this computer so I can't tell you exactly which buttons to click.
(2017-03-09, 1:40 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Yes.  

Each deck can have it's own options but I'm guessing your decks are all using the same options group.  You would create a new options group for the deck that you want to change and make sure your deck is using that group.  Then you can change anything you like and it will only effect decks using that particular options group.

Unfortunately I don't have anki on this computer so I can't tell you exactly which buttons to click.

Thanks a lot, I have found out how to create an option group based on your answer.
It's more a AnkiDroid question but hope someone can help me Smile
So I've a Core deck that I've stopped adding new cards because I want to add only new cards that I've seen while reading or watching something. The thing is: I'm not sure how to do it. I'm only reviewing right now but would love to know how I can add a new specific card on AnkiDroid.

For example, let's say that 辞書 it's a word that I haven't reached yet, yet I do read it somewhere else and want to add it on the cards I'm reviewing at this moment, how do I do that in AnkiDroid?
Hello everyone, first of all ignore my english grammar errors. I am using the core 2k/6k optmized to build up a vocabulary and trying to learn 20 cards per day with anki. Today I am supposed to have 60 cards to study, but I have a problem that I only have found now.

For some reason of these 60 cards, anki have only 18 cards for me to review, if I dont learn any other cards in the next days. I checked by going to custom study on my core 2k deck and select review ahead and put 50 days and even so, I would only have 18 cards to study/review and I have another 42 cards to study and for some reason, anki are ignoring them. I did some research and it seems when you hit the button 'again' when are you studying 'x' times, the card disapear. And I found too  abouth leeches, so I went to options > lapses and then put leeches threshold to 99 lapses and leech action suspended card to tag only.

I thought that would will resolve my problem but still remain the same. I checked the tabs suspended and leech on browse and it was empty. Then I checked all the 60 cards that I know and noticed something:

[Image: kz2EpFC.png]

As you can see, all the 18 cards that anki has already saved for review on the next days have a date. But all  the 42 cards on purple ( I marked them to be more easier to find them) have these gigantic numbers and I don't know what this means. The only way to review these purple cards are choosing 'review forgotten cards' in custom study. But the problem is that I don't think that anki will select these cards to review again through my main deck since I checked by puting 50 days on review ahead in options and even so I would only have 18 cards to review. So anyone could help me with this problem?
(2017-03-12, 5:06 pm)kassia Wrote: It's more a AnkiDroid question but hope someone can help me Smile
So I've a Core deck that I've stopped adding new cards because I want to add only new cards that I've seen while reading or watching something. The thing is: I'm not sure how to do it. I'm only reviewing right now but would love to know how I can add a new specific card on AnkiDroid.

For example, let's say that 辞書 it's a word that I haven't reached yet, yet I do read it somewhere else and want to add it on the cards I'm reviewing at this moment, how do I do that in AnkiDroid?

I don't know anki droid at all, but if you sync to desktop anki I can help you.  You would suspend all of the cards you haven't studied yet.  Then search the word you want to add and un-suspend it.  

Alternatively you could choose the card and choose edit>reposition setting the new position to 1.  Then when you add a card, this one will be the first card in the queue.

(2017-03-12, 8:04 pm)frellzy Wrote: As you can see, all the 18 cards that anki has already saved for review on the next days have a date. But all  the 42 cards on purple ( I marked them to be more easier to find them) have these gigantic numbers and I don't know what this means. The only way to review these purple cards are choosing 'review forgotten cards' in custom study. But the problem is that I don't think that anki will select these cards to review again through my main deck since I checked by puting 50 days on review ahead in options and even so I would only have 18 cards to review. So anyone could help me with this problem?

Is it possible that the other cards are siblings of cards you studied today?  A sibling card is one made from the same note as another card.  If these are siblings, then anki burys them until the next day by default.  There is a 'bury siblings' setting you can uncheck to avoid this behavior.

btw, if the due date isn't a date, but a number like you are seeing, it just means that you haven't studied it yet - it's a new card.  It will change to a due date once you study it once.  It is a little strange that the number is so high though.  It would appear that you have 1.4 billion cards in your deck but that doesn't make sense.
Edited: 2017-03-13, 4:32 am
I got the answer to this question, thank you folks!
Edited: 2017-03-13, 3:24 pm
I have a local network only PC at work where I can pretty much study as much as I want, and I have been.  The only thing is I don't want to look too relaxed so I'd rather have my flashcards on the monitor than on my ipad in my lap.  I use an imac at home so I'm not sure how this would work since I can't sync Anki at work (closed network, no internet access).  

Is there any way to do this?  Or will I need to whip my wife's laptop out every night to sync?
If the USB on your work computer is operational you can run anki from a thumb drive and sync the thumb drive on your home computer. If that doesn't work, you should still be able to copy over the database files as they should be cross platform. The database files will be in user/documents/anki on your imac.

If they've disabled the USB port, then there's probably nothing you can do unless maybe bluetooth. But if your IT department went so far as to disable USB, then it's unlikely they've left bluetooth untouched.
Edited: 2017-03-21, 1:06 pm
I'm experimenting with an aggressive use of the steps function in Anki and I'm a couple days in and wondering if it's working as expected.

1 10 120 180 120 1440 240 1440 240 1440 240

I'm seeing words that should be in the middle of the steps progress today with options for Again Hard Good Easy. I thought that you would only see Again Good Easy. Which is leading me to guess that maybe Anki doesn't like it when I have the next step be shorter than the previous step and it's kicking it out of the step queue and just putting it in the regular SRS queue?

(Edit). Ok as I'm doing reviews there's cards that are showing up and I think acting as expected so maybe it's fine and I'm just mistaken? I hope so
Edited: 2017-03-25, 12:01 am
While experimenting with Anki I unintentionally deleted all sound files from one of my decks. Is there a way to bring them back without affecting the scheduling?
How did you delete them? Did you delete the sound field from the note? If so, I would run the note ID anki add-on, create a new anki user on your computer, open an anki backup in the new account and run note ID on the backup, export deck notes as text, re-import into your main anki user updating existing notes.

There's probably an easier way, but this way seems less likely to mess up anything else. Also, this workflow is very helpful for updating your anki decks with new information so it's good to know how.
(2017-04-13, 1:52 pm)yogert909 Wrote: How did you delete them?  Did you delete the sound field from the note?  If so, I would run the note ID anki add-on, create a new anki user on your computer, open an anki backup in the new account and run note ID on the backup, export deck notes as text, re-import into your main anki user updating existing notes.

There's probably an easier way, but this way seems less likely to mess up anything else.  Also, this workflow is very helpful for updating your anki decks with new information so it's good to know how.

ありがとう! Smile
Does anyone adjust the "Interval modifier" option in Anki to target a certain retention rate?  I've found that my mature cards are naturally at 80% using the default Anki settings.

Details for modifying the interval modifier are here:
https://apps.ankiweb.net/docs/manual.html#reviews

The relevant formula is:

Interval modifier = log(desired retention%) / log(current retention%)

I read somewhere that the ideal for SRS is to have a retention rate of 70%, so if I were to plug that into the above,
log(70%) / log(80%) = 1.5984

Which I think means that I would be cutting down my anki time drastically.  Does anyone else fiddle with this setting in order to target a certain retention rate?
I use it sometimes and it works more or less how you understand it.  However I wouldn't expect your workload to go down as much as you might think.

It's true that at first your workload will start going down but over time, since you are failing 10% more cards, the additional cards you need to relearn will partially offset the time you save from increasing your intervals.  For a better understanding of the trade-offs, I suggest reading this page.  In particular the following graph:

[Image: ol_fig6.gif]
Edited: 2017-04-13, 6:49 pm
(2017-04-13, 6:44 pm)yogert909 Wrote: For a better understanding of the trade-offs, I suggest reading this page.  In particular the following graph:

[Image: ol_fig6.gif]

Hi yogert909, thanks very much for that link, that was really interesting to read.  It looks like at 80% retention I'm in the right range of retention, so I probably won't fiddle with it for my overall deck.  Now I'm thinking of trying to bump up my retention for kanji only, which is currently at 77%.  I figure while my vocab deck keeps on increasing, the kanji deck will eventually level off, so it might be worth the time investment to get that retention higher.
(2017-04-14, 10:29 am)harahachibu Wrote: Hi yogert909, thanks very much for that link, that was really interesting to read.  It looks like at 80% retention I'm in the right range of retention, so I probably won't fiddle with it for my overall deck.  Now I'm thinking of trying to bump up my retention for kanji only, which is currently at 77%.  I figure while my vocab deck keeps on increasing, the kanji deck will eventually level off, so it might be worth the time investment to get that retention higher.

IMHO 77% retention is respectable. I would leave it alone. There is some natural variability from week to week and it's more likely to go up over time than down anyway. Personally I just make sure I stay within that 70-85% range at the top of the curve and otherwise don't worry about it too much.
I have two vocab decks. They have 7700 duplicates between them. One has sentences and audio but the other has an ID number to attach it to a particular kanji card and give it the correct due order. I would like to find duplicates between the two decks and combine all the information so each vocab word has one card with sentences, audio, & ID number. Not sure how to do this but I imagine it might require Excel and the use of a script. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.