Back

Anki Small Questions Thread

How do you do it in excel to tag the notes
  • add a column for tags.  
  • fill one cell with whatever your tag is.  
  • copy that cell.  
  • select all cells in that row. 
  • paste.
  • In anki map that column to tags.
(2016-09-28, 12:59 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
  • add a column for tags.  
  • fill one cell with whatever your tag is.  
  • copy that cell.  
  • select all cells in that row. 
  • paste.
  • In anki map that column to tags.

thanks. Now how do you import excel into anki?  i tried googling but they keep telling me to save it as .txt (btw the text turns into giberish when i try ) which sounds like my notes won't be tagged??
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Ah yes, I think excel does save in an odd format. I use google sheets so I don't run into that problem.

I believe you can simply copy paste your excel info into a text doc and save as utf-8 and you're good. Then you import into anki and you just have to map the columns to the appropriate fields in anki. Map your tags column to anki's tag field.
(2016-10-03, 12:05 pm)yogert909 Wrote: Ah yes,  I think excel does save in an odd format.  I use google sheets so I don't run into that problem.  

I believe you can simply copy paste your excel info into a text doc and save as utf-8 and you're good.  Then you import into anki and you just have to map the columns to the appropriate fields in anki.  Map your tags column to anki's tag field.

thanks it worked

i ended up doing the following.
so i realized anki either goes for the tabs or the colons but not both.
so after i pasted the stuff into notepad i changed the first line to
: : tags

since my format is front : back : tags
then i did control + H to change the "tab" ( the huge space) with the : and then i did control + H to delete any : : and then went back to the first line and made sure it still said : : tags.

it worked beautifully. now i know how anki works for importing with the formatting and mapping.
Edited: 2016-10-04, 12:01 pm
(2016-10-04, 10:05 am)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: it worked beautifully. now i know how anki works for importing with the formatting and mapping.

I'm glad you got it to work.  Incidentally,  if you import with "update existing notes" anki checks to see if the first field already exists and if it does updates the existing note.  It's a very useful technique for adding new info to an existing deck or combine info from several decks.  Just make a new field to receive the new data.

Oh and I just realized it's even easier to add tags when you import.  You just put "tag:tag1 tag2..." as the first line in the text file.
(2016-10-04, 1:15 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
(2016-10-04, 10:05 am)howtwosavealif3 Wrote: it worked beautifully. now i know how anki works for importing with the formatting and mapping.

I'm glad you got it to work.  Incidentally,  if you import with "update existing notes" anki checks to see if the first field already exists and if it does updates the existing note.  It's a very useful technique for adding new info to an existing deck or combine info from several decks.  Just make a new field to receive the new data.

Oh and I just realized it's even easier to add tags when you import.  You just put "tag:tag1 tag2..." as the first line in the text file.

thx. I shall be importing a lot of cards with rikai-sama and this new knowledge.
I don't know if this is possible. I want to SRS recognition cards but cram production cards. Is it possible to do that in Anki? Like I would flag problem cards or just cards I want to know better for production, then unflag them once they've been worked on a few times. Or maybe use the cram feature in Anki? (I haven't used it before).
(2016-10-06, 8:26 am)kraemder Wrote: I don't know if this is possible.  I want to SRS recognition cards but cram production cards.  Is it possible to do that in Anki?  Like I would flag problem cards or just cards I want to know better for production, then unflag them once they've been worked on a few times.  Or maybe use the cram feature in Anki?  (I haven't used it before).

Sure, that's what filtered decks are for.

Let's say you mark/flag a bunch of cards.  You can make a filtered deck with the filter 'tag:marked' and add whatever intervals you want.  When you finish studying those intervals, the cards will revert back to the original deck.  Reload the deck and you can study them all over again.  Unmark the cards and they won't go into the filtered deck next time you reload it.  However, there's one catch here.  Marks are set on the note, so production cards and recognition cards will both show up in the deck.  You can overcome this by adding the 'card' + the name of your card to the filter.  So let's say your production card model is named Production, you add 'cardTongueroduction' to your filter so now it is 'tag:marked cardTongueroduction'.

You can add all sorts of other things to the filter such as how many reps your card has and it's interval.  See the manual for details on searching.
In the Browser, when I'm searching for words within a particular deck, how do I search for more than one word or item in the same search?

Say I have deck and I want to search for the words "book" and "slow".  How do I indicate that the search should be on both words at the same time?

Thanks.
(2016-10-29, 7:58 am)phil321 Wrote: In the Browser, when I'm searching for words within a particular deck, how do I search for more than one word or item in the same search?

Say I have deck and I want to search for the words "book" and "slow".  How do I indicate that the search should be on both words at the same time?

Thanks.

I just found it...you put OR in between each word in the search field.
May I ask which add-ons you folks use for creating decks related with Japanese learning?

I believe there is one for adding audio files containing pronounciation, but I cannot find where I read about that. I will start creating my own decks so I want to start doing it right. If you have any add-on suggestions, I would appreciate a lot.
Edited: 2016-12-04, 3:03 pm
Hello,

I have Anki for iOS but my iPad just got stolen lol. I would like to buy a Sony phone but it runs Android apps. Are all the Anki versions compatible? I guess so since I add my cards on PC but I want to be sure. And are there differences between iOS and Android versions? The latter is free whereas the former is a paying app so I'm wondering.

Thank you!

Edit: never mind, I just tested it on my sister's Huawei and it worked perfectly!
Edited: 2016-12-11, 7:24 am
Is it possible to install two separate instances of ankidroid?

I want to experiment with a new deck but I don't want to do it in my main Anki account, so I registered a new account but Android doesn't seem to have multi-user support.
Is there a way to have two separate ankidroid, one for my main account, and one for the second account?
Or to manage more than one account inside a single ankidroid installation, without any risk to do any damage to my main deck?
I never read the source code or tried to manage multiple accounts with Ankidroid, so I don't know if it has the possibility, but IIRC it's free (as in "free speech") software, so, worst case scenario, If you know how to compile Android apps, it would be as "easy" as downloading the code, changing its identifier string to something else, compiling it (through the Android Studio Bundle or another means) and installing it alongside the original app. At least, theoretically. But if you aren't a software developer of some kind I wouldn't recommend going that path.

Another option would be to make a backup of the app with all its data included (or just make sure you keep your desktop deck safe), wipe it from the system, reinstall it again and configure it with the new account. When you're done with the experiment, wipe the app again and reinstall from the backup.

Anyway, those methods aren't for the faint of heart, I think it would be much simpler to try on another device (a retired phone or tablet you can borrow from someone).
I'm hoping someone with more technical know how has an idea.  I use Rikai-sama and firefox to make flashcards and rikaisama can transport a lot of information to Anki including a closed delete sentence.  Closed delete is awesome and all but often I need a hint after the cards review time gets pushed back a bit.  I've found just putting the first hiragana letter and some underscores to show the other hiragana works really well.  I'm just doing this manually and it's not too horrible but it seems you could automate it.

unrelated but is it just me or does this website really really slow down as you type out messages?  (err my macbook fan just turned on and now it's normal again... weird... sorry)
(2017-01-06, 1:10 am)kraemder Wrote: unrelated but is it just me or does this website really really slow down as you type out messages?  (err my macbook fan just turned on and now it's normal again... weird... sorry)

Same thing happens with me. Lags like crazy when composing a message and then Macbook starts to heat up.
(2017-01-06, 1:37 am)ForgettableFury Wrote:
(2017-01-06, 1:10 am)kraemder Wrote: unrelated but is it just me or does this website really really slow down as you type out messages?  (err my macbook fan just turned on and now it's normal again... weird... sorry)

Same thing happens with me. Lags like crazy when composing a message and then Macbook starts to heat up.

Didn't notice anything like that, but I'm on Linux Mint + Firefox. As I type this message, my CPU is just sitting there almost idle.
(2017-01-06, 1:10 am)kraemder Wrote: I'm hoping someone with more technical know how has an idea.  I use Rikai-sama and firefox to make flashcards and rikaisama can transport a lot of information to Anki including a closed delete sentence.  Closed delete is awesome and all but often I need a hint after the cards review time gets pushed back a bit.  I've found just putting the first hiragana letter and some underscores to show the other hiragana works really well.  I'm just doing this manually and it's not too horrible but it seems you could automate it.

unrelated but is it just me or does this website really really slow down as you type out messages?  (err my macbook fan just turned on and now it's normal again... weird... sorry)

Look into a text editor which does searching with regular expressions.  Since you seem to be on mac, try text wrangler (it's free).  regx requires a little of a learning curve, but you could learn what you need to do this in 15 minutes.  You would export your deck as csv, search the characters you want, replace them with underscores and import the csv back to anki.  All this can be with one regex replace.  Something like:

search:  ^(.).*$
replace:  \1___

This will replace every letter of a line except the first letter with 3 underscores.  If you want to keep the first letter of every word, try:

search:   ( .)[^ ]* <---there's a space at the end here
replace:  \1___

If you need something else post an example of before and after and I'll send you a regex code to do what you want.
Nevermind!
Edited: 2017-01-24, 11:51 am
I started making an Anki deck and want to share it with a friend (not the world mind you).  I'm using the 新完全マスターN1 and N2 books as sources and as it's sort of a pain to add chapters to the deck, I was going to just send him updates of the deck say once a week or so with the material I added during the week.  

If I just add more cards to the same deck and send it to him again will Anki just add the new cards or will it be a problem?
Anki can update only the changes to a deck (without resetting any review history) as long as the first (index) field of each card is the same. The only problem might arise if either you or he have modified the contents of that first field on previous cards; that would potentially cause new copies of old cards to be imported along with the new cards. Also, if you made changes to any of the sub-fields of old cards but kept the index field the same, his deck would be updated with your changes (you may or may not want this!).

If you give each week's new batch a new tag, that might help isolate the new cards that your friend wants to import each week.
I'm making good use of this thread I guess. I just started using the leech function on Anki and I'm just a tad concerned about it making cards leeches that shouldn't be. As I'm just starting a new deck this won't come up for a while but still. If I set the leech threshold to 6 which seems like a good number from what I've read, and I struggle with a word a little before it gets mature, then get it right a lot until six months later I forget it, will Anki perhaps scream LEECH! and smash it? It would seem to make sense that the leech threshold should reset or at least go down over time. If not I am still going to use it since there's nothing that makes you hate studying more than reviewing an army of cards that you constantly fail.
(2017-01-29, 11:57 pm)kraemder Wrote: I'm making good use of this thread I guess. I just started using the leech function on Anki and I'm just a tad concerned about it making cards leeches that shouldn't be. As I'm just starting a new deck this won't come up for a while but still. If I set the leech threshold to 6 which seems like a good number from what I've read, and I struggle with a word a little before it gets mature, then get it right a lot until six months later I forget it, will Anki perhaps scream LEECH! and smash it?  It would seem to make sense that the leech threshold should reset or at least go down over time. If not I am still going to use it since there's nothing that makes you hate studying more than reviewing an army of cards that you constantly fail.

Well, I didn't double-check the documentation but I believe that that is exactly what it does, both from my experience and my hazy memories of reading the leech documentation years ago.

This is not actually a bad thing though. If you struggle to remember a card as a new card, and then forget it again as soon as it reaches a large interval, you probably have problems with that card. Remember that having failed a card a bunch of times, its intervals grow more slowly (It's 'ease' rating has decreased, so anki treats it as harder). If even with these 'easy' shortened intervals you're failing the card that's not a good sign.

Like you I thought that this would be Anki making a 'mistake', so at first I would immediately unsuspend cards that were leech-suspended on a 2 month or larger interval. And then fail them over and over again. It turns out most of the time Anki isn't making a mistake in this assessment.

Generally what you want to do with your leeches is to go and re-study the material outside of Anki and if possible rework the card. (For Heisig, rework your story, practice writing the character a few times. For vocabulary, go look up some example sentences, listen to some pronunciation examples, practice writing the word a couple times; if you put hints or example sentences on the front side of the card, change those.)

Of course, sometimes Anki is making a mistake in these late suspensions - it might have just been a momentary memory lapse, and the original difficulty might have been caused by interference (ie. studying similar cards at the same time) that is no longer there. You can unsuspend a card in the hopes that that's all it was, but if that's not all it was it's just going to become a leech again.
I have a problem when importing my csv/txt file inty my current deck. Even though the first field matches, it does not updates the cards, but just adds new cards=/

I exported the deck first as notes in txt. Edited the file how I liked it(leaving the first field untouched).
Basically I have an old ass deck that I made when I started anki and is really big now and it has Kanji + the English definition in one field on the answer side. On the question side there is just hiragana + a sentence in a different field.
I wanted to split the Kanji+ English definition in 2 different fields by using Excel/lLibreoffice (Atleast I think that is the fastest way?) because have 2 different things in one field give problems with on of the add-ons I want to use =/

I tried both with Excel 2010 and Libreoffice and both won't work.

Well.... Importing does work, however it does not update the flashcards even though the first fields are the same =/

Anyone got a clue? Tried to google, but could not find something =/
Edited: 2017-01-31, 5:51 am