Back

多読 Tadoku Reading Challenge

(2017-08-15, 4:35 pm)pm215 Wrote: Hmm, has the bot fallen over? It isn't responding to tweets and the website is down too...

Hmm same thing is happening to me. I just tweeted lordsilent about the situation just in case he wasn't already aware.

[EDIT] After some back and forth with lordsilent, the website seems to work now.
Edited: 2017-08-16, 12:06 am
(2017-08-15, 4:50 pm)Splatted Wrote:
(2017-07-21, 12:45 pm)pm215 Wrote: Other kind of hack :-)

I don't get this. You mean people who don't read enough?
In this context Nandemonai meant meaning 1 from this list: "a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well". If you take the quick-and-dirty option too many times in adding features to a program (too many hacks), your source code can end up in such a mess that it seems simpler to rewrite it properly from scratch rather than trying to clean up the existing version. (I say "seems" because often doing a rewrite is a tempting but bad plan.)

(2017-08-15, 5:09 pm)RawrPk Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 4:35 pm)pm215 Wrote: Hmm, has the bot fallen over? It isn't responding to tweets and the website is down too...

Hmm same thing is happening to me. I just tweeted lordsilent about the situation just in case he wasn't already aware.

[EDIT] After some back and forth with lordsilent, the website seems to work now.
Website's back up but the twitter bot doesn't seem to respond to tweets still...
Edited: 2017-08-16, 4:19 am
(2017-08-16, 3:38 am)pm215 Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 4:50 pm)Splatted Wrote:
(2017-07-21, 12:45 pm)pm215 Wrote: Other kind of hack :-)

I don't get this. You mean people who don't read enough?
In this context Nandemonai meant meaning 1 from this list: "a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well". If you take the quick-and-dirty option too many times in adding features to a program (too many hacks), your source code can end up in such a mess that it seems simpler to rewrite it properly from scratch rather than trying to clean up the existing version. (I say "seems" because often doing a rewrite is a tempting but bad plan.)

Thanks makes sense now.
(2017-08-16, 3:38 am)pm215 Wrote: Website's back up but the twitter bot doesn't seem to respond to tweets still...

In the last round the twitter bot rarely worked for me but submitting through the site was fine. If the site is up but the bot is down I'd suggest trying that.
August Sale (14th - 25th): 30% OFF Premium PLUS - 25% OFF Premium
JapanesePod101
(2017-08-16, 7:44 am)Splatted Wrote: In the last round the twitter bot rarely worked for me but submitting through the site was fine. If the site is up but the bot is down I'd suggest trying that.
The bot worked fine last two rounds for me, this is the first time I've had trouble with it. In fact I see it's just woken up and processed its backlog (including the resend of a count from yesterday, so I'll just go and undo that double-counting...) I don't want to use the website because it wants way more permissions on my twitter account than I'm willing to give it (if it doesn't work by just tweeting at the bot for you why does it need permission to send tweets, for instance, and it shouldn't need to update profiles at all).
(2017-08-16, 9:45 am)pm215 Wrote:
(2017-08-16, 7:44 am)Splatted Wrote: In the last round the twitter bot rarely worked for me but submitting through the site was fine. If the site is up but the bot is down I'd suggest trying that.
The bot worked fine last two rounds for me, this is the first time I've had trouble with it. In fact I see it's just woken up and processed its backlog (including the resend of a count from yesterday, so I'll just go and undo that double-counting...) I don't want to use the website because it wants way more permissions on my twitter account than I'm willing to give it (if it doesn't work by just tweeting at the bot for you why does it need permission to send tweets, for instance, and it shouldn't need to update profiles at all).

At first only the site was only working as of last night. Tried submission via twitter bot right now and it seems to work fine for me.