Back

多読 Tadoku Reading Challenge

(2017-08-15, 4:35 pm)pm215 Wrote: Hmm, has the bot fallen over? It isn't responding to tweets and the website is down too...

Hmm same thing is happening to me. I just tweeted lordsilent about the situation just in case he wasn't already aware.

[EDIT] After some back and forth with lordsilent, the website seems to work now.
Edited: 2017-08-16, 12:06 am
(2017-08-15, 4:50 pm)Splatted Wrote:
(2017-07-21, 12:45 pm)pm215 Wrote: Other kind of hack :-)

I don't get this. You mean people who don't read enough?
In this context Nandemonai meant meaning 1 from this list: "a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well". If you take the quick-and-dirty option too many times in adding features to a program (too many hacks), your source code can end up in such a mess that it seems simpler to rewrite it properly from scratch rather than trying to clean up the existing version. (I say "seems" because often doing a rewrite is a tempting but bad plan.)

(2017-08-15, 5:09 pm)RawrPk Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 4:35 pm)pm215 Wrote: Hmm, has the bot fallen over? It isn't responding to tweets and the website is down too...

Hmm same thing is happening to me. I just tweeted lordsilent about the situation just in case he wasn't already aware.

[EDIT] After some back and forth with lordsilent, the website seems to work now.
Website's back up but the twitter bot doesn't seem to respond to tweets still...
Edited: 2017-08-16, 4:19 am
(2017-08-16, 3:38 am)pm215 Wrote:
(2017-08-15, 4:50 pm)Splatted Wrote:
(2017-07-21, 12:45 pm)pm215 Wrote: Other kind of hack :-)

I don't get this. You mean people who don't read enough?
In this context Nandemonai meant meaning 1 from this list: "a quick job that produces what is needed, but not well". If you take the quick-and-dirty option too many times in adding features to a program (too many hacks), your source code can end up in such a mess that it seems simpler to rewrite it properly from scratch rather than trying to clean up the existing version. (I say "seems" because often doing a rewrite is a tempting but bad plan.)

Thanks makes sense now.
(2017-08-16, 3:38 am)pm215 Wrote: Website's back up but the twitter bot doesn't seem to respond to tweets still...

In the last round the twitter bot rarely worked for me but submitting through the site was fine. If the site is up but the bot is down I'd suggest trying that.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
(2017-08-16, 7:44 am)Splatted Wrote: In the last round the twitter bot rarely worked for me but submitting through the site was fine. If the site is up but the bot is down I'd suggest trying that.
The bot worked fine last two rounds for me, this is the first time I've had trouble with it. In fact I see it's just woken up and processed its backlog (including the resend of a count from yesterday, so I'll just go and undo that double-counting...) I don't want to use the website because it wants way more permissions on my twitter account than I'm willing to give it (if it doesn't work by just tweeting at the bot for you why does it need permission to send tweets, for instance, and it shouldn't need to update profiles at all).
(2017-08-16, 9:45 am)pm215 Wrote:
(2017-08-16, 7:44 am)Splatted Wrote: In the last round the twitter bot rarely worked for me but submitting through the site was fine. If the site is up but the bot is down I'd suggest trying that.
The bot worked fine last two rounds for me, this is the first time I've had trouble with it. In fact I see it's just woken up and processed its backlog (including the resend of a count from yesterday, so I'll just go and undo that double-counting...) I don't want to use the website because it wants way more permissions on my twitter account than I'm willing to give it (if it doesn't work by just tweeting at the bot for you why does it need permission to send tweets, for instance, and it shouldn't need to update profiles at all).

At first only the site was only working as of last night. Tried submission via twitter bot right now and it seems to work fine for me.
Managed to just about hit my stretch goal for the half-round (average >100 pages a day), and read some good stuff:
* second half of 怪談の道 by 内田康夫 (modern-day setting, crime fiction, slight travelogue elements; this one had a Lafcardio Hearn theme/flavour)
* オール・マイ・ラビング by 小路幸也 (book 5 in the Tokyo Bandwagon series)
* 狐火の家 by 貴志祐介 (locked-room short-story murder mysteries featuring the two lead characters from 硝子のハンマー)
* both volumes of あかんべ by 宮部みゆき (Edo period supernatural mystery; Miyabe is fun and easy to read as usual)
* first half of オブ・ラ・ディ オブ・ラ・ダ (Tokyo Bandwagon book 6)
All authors I'd read before and knew I liked and wouldn't have too much trouble reading.
Just barely made my goal of 1000 pages!
I caught a nasty cold (within a day of showing symptoms I had a sinus headache so bad that my teeth hurt) starting around Saturday last week, and I'm only just now getting over it, so I lost a good chunk of reading time near the end, but still managed to squeeze those last few pages in at the last hour of the contest.

Mostly read Re:Zero this time. I probably could have read more if I picked something with a lower density of words I don't know well, but I was still managing a pretty decent pace, reading my required amount within a couple of hours. Assuming I'm still reading at an average of 180 char/min, I spent about 37 hours reading during this contest, which means an average of about 2 hours 10 minutes reading per day.

I think I'll aim for 2000 in the October contest, but I may be putting more time into JLPT study at that point and will definitely be working on my senior design project, so we'll see.

Good job, everyone! Let's do our best again in October!
(2017-09-01, 7:54 am)pm215 Wrote: Managed to just about hit my stretch goal for the half-round (average >100 pages a day), and read some good stuff:
* second half of 怪談の道 by 内田康夫 (modern-day setting, crime fiction, slight travelogue elements; this one had a Lafcardio Hearn theme/flavour)
* オール・マイ・ラビング by 小路幸也 (book 5 in the Tokyo Bandwagon series)
* 狐火の家 by 貴志祐介 (locked-room short-story murder mysteries featuring the two lead characters from 硝子のハンマー)
* both volumes of あかんべ by 宮部みゆき (Edo period supernatural mystery; Miyabe is fun and easy to read as usual)
* first half of オブ・ラ・ディ オブ・ラ・ダ (Tokyo Bandwagon book 6)
All authors I'd read before and knew I liked and wouldn't have too much trouble reading.

If you don't mind me asking, how do you go about finding books to read?

I looked up 怪談の道 and 狐火の家 and the reviews were not encouraging. OTOH, I remember watching 鍵のかかった部屋, which seems to be based on a book with the same title and supposedly with similar settings to 狐火の家 and it was ok. (BTW, it looks as if  硝子のハンマー, 鍵のかかった部屋 and 狐火の家 are from the same series.)
Edited: 2017-09-02, 12:15 am
A lot of what I read is "more books by authors I know I like", which was the case for all of these. For that I look through online bookshop listings for books by them that have an OK sounding plot abstract and non-terrible reviews. Finding new authors is a bit trickier. I went through a phase a while back of reading Seiun and SF Taisho award winners, which was a little variable but mostly worked. That's actually how I found 貴志祐介 -- he wrote the very good SF novel 新世界より which won the SF Taisho; after that I read 硝子のハンマー, which is a full-length standalone novel and liked it enough to pick up 狐火の家 which is spin-off short stories.  鍵のかかった部屋 is on my to-read pile right now. 狐火の家 isn't bad, but it's a little uneven in tone and it helps I think if you're already familiar with the 硝子のハンマー characters. I'd say 硝子のハンマー and 新世界より are both better.

A few authors I've picked up through straightforward personal recommendation -- somebody on usenet suggested 点と線 by 松本清張 as a classic detective novel, and I've since read more by him. The Tokyo Bandwagon series was a suggestion from somebody on this forum. Some were pure impulse purchase (ビブリア古書堂の事件手帖 I saw in a bookshop in Japan and picked up because I like books about books), and one or two were just taking a chance on a cheap secondhand book in a UK charity shop (where books in Japanese are very rare and you take what you can get) -- both 赤川次郎 and 宮部みゆき I found like that.
Didn't know that 貴志祐介 was the author of 新世界より. Didn't read the book either but few years ago I watched the anime version of it. It had some appeal, to the extent so I thought of making a subs2srs deck out of it - failed project I must admit Sad

Are you familiar with 東野圭吾? He's apparently popular in Japan. His books are made into movies too - like 夜明けの街で (can't recommend the book though, the plot is almost surreal and in the end I wasn't sure whether I should cry over or laugh at myself for reading this book). The one I'm going through this days (新参者) is better - the main character has some traits of Lieutenant Columbo or Hercule Poirot, so I guess it's no wonder that the story is ok.

Anyways, thanks for filling in my curiosity - I hate this feeling of not being able to tell whether this book on a shelf in front of me is worth picking up or not...
The results from the last round are now up: https://readmod.wordpress.com/2017/09/10...nd-report/

Sorry for the week long delay. Just started going to medical college. And well done you two, pm215 and sholum. Smile
I was wondering if there was a way of ranking participants by consistency, so for instance if you read 10 pages every day for the whole contest you'd score more highly than if you read 150 pages the first weekend but then didn't read anything after that. Maybe the standard deviation or something similar? The idea would be to provide an incentive for making steady progress for everybody, even if they're lower down on the total-pages-read leaderboard.
Considering that I put together these results manually as things are, I think it'd be more work than I could handle. That's a feature that would have to be automated. The only thing I've considered and could probably manage today is putting up an end of the year compilation of the results from year's rounds to give special recognition to the people who join up and work hard every round.

As part of that I'd look at consistency and individual progress and highlight some people who've made excellent headway over the year. I imagine that would take 2-3 entire work days to do manually, though, which is quite a lot of extra work. (Regular round reports takes about 2 hours to put together.)

One issue with this idea is that we can't actually measure consistent reading, only consistent updating. Some people would lose out simply because they forget or can't update the site every day (e.g. because they're away somewhere without ready access to the site). Another issue is that most of the people low in the leaderboards are drop-outs who only update once or twice then bugger off, they still wouldn't get any recognition for their bare effort.

I think overall, consistency isn't that important as far as tadoku's goal goes, which is to simply encourage people to mass read. If some people get into the habit of reading often thanks to it (like it has done for myself), then that's perfect. But I think there's just as much value in someone who normally don't read much going deadline crazy and reading an entire novel in the last minute to not fail their personal goals, as I imagine they just wouldn't have read at all otherwise. I think this latter category of people might actually be discouraged if we made consistency part of the system itself, but as a recognition thing on the blog only? Perfectly fine.

Well, come to think of it. Maybe one idea is to just make two awards if we would add them. The turtle reward for best consistency and the rabbit award for the biggest spurt, hehe. Big Grin
(2017-09-10, 7:09 am)pm215 Wrote: I was wondering if there was a way of ranking participants by consistency, so for instance if you read 10 pages every day for the whole contest you'd score more highly than if you read 150 pages the first weekend but then didn't read anything after that. Maybe the standard deviation or something similar? The idea would be to provide an incentive for making steady progress for everybody, even if they're lower down on the total-pages-read leaderboard.

I love this idea but the immediate problem that presents itself is that people would get penalized for taking advantage of days when they have extra time. I don't know how you distinguish from someone who read extra yesterday vs someone who slacked off today.

(2017-09-10, 7:09 am)pm215 Wrote: The bot worked fine last two rounds for me, this is the first time I've had trouble with it. In fact I see it's just woken up and processed its backlog (including the resend of a count from yesterday, so I'll just go and undo that double-counting...) I don't want to use the website because it wants way more permissions on my twitter account than I'm willing to give it (if it doesn't work by just tweeting at the bot for you why does it need permission to send tweets, for instance, and it shouldn't need to update profiles at all).

Good on you for checking this. It didn't occur to me because I only signed up to twitter for Tadoku but I actually hate that it's become the norm to just hand over whatever rights are asked for.
(2017-09-10, 7:48 am)Jackdaw Wrote: Considering that I put together these results manually as things are, I think it'd be more work than I could handle. That's a feature that would have to be automated.
Yikes, I didn't realise you were doing the result tables by hand. Do you want me to have a go at putting together some scripting of that for you? (I assume you can at least get the raw data out of the database in a consistent format set of files, so the automation of producing pretty tables for the blog post can be standalone and doesn't have to go in with the website or twitter bot.)

And yes, I agree there are some awkward cases (the other one I thought of is that you don't want to give the top prize for consistency to the people who sign up for the round and consistently read zero pages every day :-)). Would need playing around a bit with different rules on the historical data to see if they produce something that seems like it looks interesting.
If you can, by all means make me that script. I don't have access to any database, though. I just copy the results for the top lists, then open up each profile and compare the data manually to decide the "medium champs" (category awards). I double-check for errors then copypaste the compiled data into a standard template I've made, write any comments and publish it.

I basically volunteered to do this a year ago or so because I felt it such a shame that LordSilent stopped posting the results on the blog. After sending the finished data for him to post consistently for about a half year, he gave me the posting privileges to just do it myself. I don't have any further access to anything, though.
Hmm, that would make things a little trickier but I guess web scraping is possible. What OS do you use? (Hoping you'll say osx here rather than windows ;-))
Nope, Windows 8.1 - like most people. Haven't had MacOS as my primary OS since the classic days. (Though I kept using my Performa 5400 from '96 as my primary work computer well until like 2007.)
OK. I won't make any promises but I'll see if I can make time to have a look at this...
Next round is almost here! Going for 2000 pages!

Went to register, and it seems the site is down (can't connect to the server). Just a maintenance thing, I hope?
The site is down for me too.  I think I'm already registered though.
Well, site is back, but now the bot is being lazy and won't take my goal... Well, at least I'll be able to get my numbers in, I just won't have a number to compare them to.
(2017-09-30, 5:24 pm)sholum Wrote: Well, site is back, but now the bot is being lazy and won't take my goal... Well, at least I'll be able to get my numbers in, I just won't have a number to compare them to.

If you tried to submit pages read as well as just a goal, it's worth keeping an eye on your figures, it's likely that when the bot wakes up it'll process its backlog and you may need to undo stuff if you submitted it through the bot and the website as it'll get counted twice.
Edited: 2017-10-01, 1:44 am
I can't seem to register :/ In the past the bot replied pretty quickly, has that changed?
The bot is probably down again -- last time the website went down the bot didn't come back with the website, so it needs manual intervention by the person running it I suspect.