Back

多読 Tadoku Reading Challenge

If that's why I am really ok with that.

Edit: It might be obvious by design but I have reread the rules and it is not clearly stated. If that's really the case could you mention it clearly so that nobody will ever break the rule unwillingly.

Thanks again.
Edited: 2017-07-03, 9:29 pm
Yes, I remember reading through the rules page and being surprised that it didn't ever actually say the contest was for reading in foreign languages...
I noticed this as well. Only mention of it I could find was two footnotes in a scoring update implying it: "Essentially, a page can be any of the following. Naturally, it must be entirely in Japanese****"; "****[Other L2s are welcome to join.]" This is likely an oversight due to tadoku originally being designed for Japanese learners. I noticed other missing info, so all the more reason to have the rules updated. Unfortunatelly I don't have the posting prviliges to change them myself so I will have to take it up with LordSilent later.
See this thread for Holiday Countdown Deals (until Dec 15th)
JapanesePod101
Okay glad I didn't make a mistake. I'm not at all bothered by the margin of error* inherent in the contest but I would have felt bad if I took the top news reading spot simply by misreporting my activities.

*I actually think it's good because it allows beginners to read easy things without being told they are worth little.

Also, while everyone's talking about updating the rules I would like to say that I've always hated the fact that re-reading things counts for less, and the fact that it decreases infinitely is particularly asinine. This isn't directed just at Jackdaw. I want to know whever other people feel the same way. I know all else being equal re-reading things is easier so I can see why it might count for less, but this doesn't take in to account long time periods, and above all it dictates to contestants what's worth reading and what isn't.

For example, I first read 死神の精度 5 years and 3 months ago. It was one of the first Japanese books I read, and remains one of my favourites, but my abilities were barely up to the task at the time. So much time has passed and my language level has improved so much that I think I get a huge amount from re-reading it. Is it really the intention of the Tadoku rules to discourage me from doing this?

Another example: I read 狼と香辛料 5 years and 2 months ago and it was too hard so I didn't understand it. Now I'm thinking I could probably handle it pretty easily and the economic/business vocabulary would be good for the JLPT. Is this something people want to discourage?

TLDR: Basically I feel what's great about the contest is that it gets people hype to read. A rule that discourages contestants from reading things they might otherwise want to sticks out like a sore thumb.
Edited: 2017-07-04, 5:48 pm
I think the reread rule goes with the spirit of the contest trying to encourage extensive reading, reading more new stuff rather than repeating a text you're familiar with or going over something you read last month, or reading through the same short story three times during the competition. Unfortunately it also catches cases like yours -- but is there a good way to deal with that without making the rule awkwardly complicated?
Well it could be changed to only docking points for things reread during the same round + a note that Tadoku works best when pushing ones boundaries and reading new things. That would stop misguided intensive reading and still leave most people the freedom to decide for themselves what's most worth reading.

I guess the difference in our outlook is that I find it hard to imagine anyone who isn't already comfortable reading having a library of familiar texts to draw on for Tadoku.
I had exactly the same thought as Splatted. I read 夏と花火と私の死体 years ago, but it was intensive reading with a ton of look-ups. If I re-read it now, it would be just as beneficial to my Japanese studies as any of the other books I read during Tadoku. It definitely wouldn't be a "cheap" read to rack up points.

If you perceive of Tadoku as a competition against others, then I guess the rule makes sense. I'm more like Splatted - I see it more as a competition against one's own previous personal best. If you're re-reading a bunch of easy books just to win empty bragging rights on the Internet, you probably need a new hobby.
(2017-07-05, 5:53 pm)gaiaslastlaugh Wrote: to win empty bragging rights on the Internet, you probably need a new hobby.

Anki reviews anyone?  Wink
(2017-07-05, 5:37 pm)Splatted Wrote: Well it could be changed to only docking points for things reread during the same round + a note that Tadoku works best when pushing ones boundaries and reading new things. That would stop misguided intensive reading and still leave most people the freedom to decide for themselves what's most worth reading.

I can see this working. The idea is to keep people from getting an edge by reading the same thing over and over, but I'm fairly sure that a couple months or more between reads is much different than rereading things in the same month. Of course, this would change if you were reading the same thing every contest, but that seems pretty boring to me (and I read the Harry Potter series three or four times when I was younger; no interest in reading it again after that).

gaiaslastlaugh Wrote:If you're re-reading a bunch of easy books just to win empty bragging rights on the Internet, you probably need a new hobby.
Like learning CoD MW2 maps so well that a couple of shots with the noob-tube at the start of the match gets you 5+ kills? Yeah, I did that before; also camped like the biggest douche ever at points in the map where it was nearly impossible to kill me without being right in my line of sight; hardcore modes only.

Anyway, exploiting the system for bragging rights in a reading contest doesn't seem much different to me. If it's an option, someone will do it eventually. With such a small pool of people, I don't think it's likely to be a problem anytime soon, but...
I agree that score chasers are not worth worrying about. If they're happy more power too them. I'll be oblivious or enjoying the challenge of an opponent who fights dirty. Cool

The more important issue is newer readers who may be liable to think they're doing a good thing by drilling texts. It's not an unreasonable thing to believe. I think it's good that the scoring system discourages it but also that the current implementation is way too heavy handed.
It's unlikely that the current system will be changed anytime soon though. It's going to require a complete rewrite as the current version has too many hacks to make it work (according to lordsilent). If we can get a couple Ruby developers together we might be able to make faster progress once the base is done.
so when is the next round or half round?
There should be a half round in August afaik.
(2017-07-06, 12:36 am)Nandemonai Wrote: It's unlikely that the current system will be changed anytime soon though. It's going to require a complete rewrite as the current version has too many hacks to make it work (according to lordsilent). If we can get a couple Ruby developers together we might be able to make faster progress once the base is done.

Oh I didn't know there were hacks! That's... interesting. If I happen to get first place in the next round it's completely unrelated to this conversation. Angel
Other kind of hack :-)
Mini round!!!!! A humble goal of 500 pages which is a challenge in itself in a regular round. But 2 weeks? lol
Edited: 2017-08-01, 8:16 pm
I'm going all out! 1000 pages!
When does this one officially start? I signed up for a very low goal since I've been slacking, wanted to give myself an easy path back in. I looked around the site for a start date but couldn't find one.
It's from the 15th to the 31st.

If you look at the bottom left of the page and click on 'blog', you'll be taken to this site:
https://readmod.wordpress.com/

there, you'll be able to find all the contest dates, among other things. Next year, the contest dates are going to change in order to have one contest every other month (currently there are five in a year).
Edited: 2017-08-02, 9:11 am
In with a goal of 850 (50 pages a day). I'm running a bit low on material though, so I hope my latest seamail parcel from bk1 arrives before the 15th (it should do, or thereabouts...)
(2017-08-03, 4:42 am)pm215 Wrote: I'm running a bit low on material though, so I hope my latest seamail parcel from bk1 arrives before the 15th (it should do, or thereabouts...)
And indeed a nice pile of 12 new books arrived today, and I have just finished slogging through a book on the history of Japanese education (my 150th read book!) so I can move onto something a bit easier and more interesting.
Mini round starts today! Will be mainly reading manga as usual but jumping between Baby Steps and Shirokuma Cafe. I think reading different things will help snowball the reading habit.

How is everyone else gonna tackle this mini round?
Thanks for reminding me, I signed up and already forgot it started today!

I'll mostly be reading the usual webnovels, manga, games, LNs, etc., but I hope to get myself back into reading articles and op-eds.
Hmm, has the bot fallen over? It isn't responding to tweets and the website is down too...
I'm not taking part in this but I'll be going away for two weeks from friday and I'm planning to make that an offline reading holiday so hopefully I'll have numbers to report.

(2017-07-21, 12:45 pm)pm215 Wrote: Other kind of hack :-)

I don't get this. You mean people who don't read enough?