Back

Japanese and E-book readers: A guide

(2016-11-07, 7:09 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: Have you tried it on an ereader or maybe the kindle app (using something like kindlegen to convert it first) ? Japanese vertical text usually shows up that way in calibre for me but when send the book to my kindle it shows up fine.

Yes, you seem to right! I uploaded the epub in Google Play Books and it turned out fine. Guess calibre is the problem.  Dodgy Thank you the help!
(2016-11-07, 9:48 pm)RawrPk Wrote:
(2016-11-07, 7:09 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: Have you tried it on an ereader or maybe the kindle app (using something like kindlegen to convert it first) ? Japanese vertical text usually shows up that way in calibre for me but when send the book to my kindle it shows up fine.

Yes, you seem to right! I uploaded the epub in Google Play Books and it turned out fine. Guess calibre is the problem.  Dodgy Thank you the help!

Glad it helped! Calibre's awful Japanese rendering threw me off at first too.
Hi, I'm currently thinking of buying an e-reader mainly for reading Japanese.

I have the possibility to buy a second hand Kindle Paperwhite D01100 at a really good price.
Can I download and use on this Kindle JP->ENG dictionaries?

I have no experience with e-readers and I definitely don't want to pay for a new one.
I'll buy an e-reader only if get a really good deal.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
(2016-11-10, 6:03 am)zdo_vision Wrote: Hi, I'm currently thinking of buying an e-reader mainly for reading Japanese.

I have the possibility to buy a second hand Kindle Paperwhite D01100 at a really good price.
Can I download and use on this Kindle JP->ENG dictionaries?

I have no experience with e-readers and I definitely don't want to pay for a new one.
I'll buy an e-reader only if get a really good deal.

Yep, Progressive J->E is downloadable, and you can also get this: https://github.com/jrfonseca/jmdict-kindle
Let me know if you have any more questions!

EDIT: I Googled it & the D0110 is the old basic kindle, not the paperwhite. I think the newer basic kindle models have the same software as the paperwhite, but if you're looking for an older model, definitely try to look for a paperwhite.
Edited: 2016-11-10, 6:39 am
Thanks for the help.

I also google it and spoke with the seller. It turned out that the e-reader was a Kindle 4th gen, not a Paperwhite.
The seller had no idea what she had for sale. Sad
Edited: 2016-11-10, 6:45 am
(2016-11-10, 6:43 am)zdo_vision Wrote: Thanks for the help.

I also googled it and spoke with the seller. It turned out that the e-reader was a Kindle 4th gen, not a Paperwhite.
(2016-11-10, 6:43 am)zdo_vision Wrote: Thanks for the help.

I also google it and spoke with the seller. It turned out that the e-reader was a Kindle 4th gen, not a Paperwhite.
Oh well, at least you know now. Maybe you'll be able to find a similar deal on a paperwhite.
Hello everyone!! I have just joined this forum to learn and also share whatever I have learned in Japanese language so far. 楽しみにしています。

Regarding my experience with e-readers -- I had purchased a kindle paperwhite in may 2016. It was kindle paperwhite 3, the latest model at that time. I updated the software also to latest version. My main motive behind purchasing an e-reader was to read japanese novels after buying them from amazon. But my experience with kindle was not that good. I downloaded english and japanese dictionaries in kindle which was provided in it. The J-E one was Shogakukun J-E dictionary and J-J one was Daijirin. although J-J was a good dictionary but Shogakukun is not a good choice for me as i am pursuing graduation in Japanese language and our professors suggest us to use Kenkyuusha. But since I just wanted to know the meaning of an unfamiliar word which i might come across while reading novel, i though it would be okay. And It worked well as per my expectations when i downloaded an ebook from amazon in japanese language. But since i wanted to read books from other sources such as free public domain books also. So I downloaded one from project Gutenberg website and when i tried to lookup a word it couldn't find it. One of the obvious reason, I think, was that the J-E dictionary on kindle are abridged editions, consequently unable to find a word which is somewhat old. The next is formatting of ebooks. The built in dictionary works well with books downloaded from kindle store but not with books from other sources. For Example - when i tried to select a japanese verb, the kindle couldn't do it properly, the selection of japanese texts is not that smooth on kindle. The verb had a comma [,] just after it、something like -- 私はご飯を食べる、と言ってもいいですか。 when i selected the verb it automatically selected comma also and the dictionary was unable to find that verb. In case of E-E dictionaries it is not the case. Kindle works with english texts very well and gives the result even after a single comma or full stop is selected. And I tried to select it again and again but in vain.

In case of PDF files i think that kindle is not that good either. The rendering speed and due to screen size, it is painful to read PDF files or books on kindle. Just to read it, one must zoom and pan through different parts of a page and there is also a lot of scrolling to go through. I think that kindle, for the time being is not that good for a student studying either japanese or chinese language. It is best for reading ebooks which is either in english or any other european languages but I guess not for the languages which deals with characters. Or it is also best for those whose Japanese proficiency is at advanced level and seldom needs a word to look up to understand it. And still, if a person has advanced level japanese then I think he/she will certainly not like the shogakukun dictionary built in the kindle. He/she would prefer kenkyuusha's daijiten as it meets their requirements more.

Finally I returned the product after using it for three days. One of the reasons was also that there is no service centers in India for kindle if anything goes wrong but that is something I usually ignore because i have a history of not a single gadget gone corrupt or broken or froze. A kindle is awesome for reading books, better than paperback books but i returned it just because it didn't meet my basic requirements i.e. reading japanese books/novels with ease and understanding meaning of words.

I recently watched on youtube that kindle has launced a manga model kindle paperwhite with 32 GB storage and improved performance. Its rendering speed of PDF files is also faster than previous models, but, this manga model is japan exclusive only and it is the first move with such changes by amazon kindle. So I guess I will wait for another year or two before buying kindle again when there will be some major changes and improvements by Amazon and such as faster processor and rendering speed, better dictionary support for japanese language and hopefully little bit bigger screen size just for PDF files which could help somewhat in zooming less and reading more! Because that's what kindle is meant to do. And since last year amazon has made no changes in hardware for paperwhite which is the best choice for beginners with low budget. Paperwhite model is the cheap and best ereader but only color variation is made in latest model but nothing major in performance. So for now I am better off with my laptop with rikaichan and rikaikun in browsers for reading web articles, my android phone and planning to buy an electronic dictionary soon. An electronic dictionary can also be used just as an ereader but the difference is it reads only text files but Calibre (software) is our friend for that. And when it comes to search a word, considering it is an Electronic dictionary, there is not match for it. It is the best for what it does.
Kindle 7th Generation

Pros:
-Able to use the built-in J>E dict or load in any dictionary of your choice
-Verticle text which is a must for any long text
-Vocabulary builder which records all the words you look up and generates 'flash cards' for you that you review on the kindle itself
-Option to export the words you looked up onto your computer for generation of Anki cards with Epwing2Anki
-Able to mix pirated ebooks with purchased/legal ones
-Cheap-ish?

Cons
-Slow lookup time. Time increases exponentially with the number of words stored within the Vocabulary builder
-Need to use Amazon JP account
-No screen light. You need a light source as you would with a physical book.
-I know some people prefer horizontal text in Japanese? If you're one of them there's something very wrong with you Big Grin
Edited: 2017-01-07, 11:24 am
Kindle Paperwhite (not sure which generation, I've had it a couple of years). I use it to read Japanese light novels.

I would second most of the pros and cons listed in the reply just above this one, except that the Paperwhite is backlit and doesn't require a light source.

(I have a million words in my Vocabulary Builder, no wonder lookups seem to take for-e-ver! Shutting the kindle down completely and restarting seems to help speed it up a bit.)

Pros:
great to have many novels available at one's fingertips
ability to look up words in any dictionary you install (even if lookups are painfully slow)

Cons:
--Slow response time. If you touch too quickly the page advances instead of doing a lookup; if you hold too long, whole sentences may get highlighted - but it's hard to judge how long to hold when response of any kind takes multiple seconds.

--Lookups get saved (and potentially added to Vocab Builder) whether they found anything valid or not. If you accidentally highlighted the wrong thing, you get nonsense in your Vocab Builder list. [There are two ways this can happen: the word highlighted is a valid word, but your dictionary doesn't recognize it and/or doesn't highlight all of the related characters on the first try; or, you accidentally highlight a random string of characters because your finger slipped.] One can go through the list of lookups and delete the irrelevant ones, but that takes time, and I mostly don't bother because I have so many lookups.

--I thought Vocab builder was an awesome application at first, but I don't like reviewing words and marking them mastered on the device (I prefer Anki) and I haven't yet learned how to export using Epwing (I should really work on that). The large amounts of clutter caused by invalid lookups is a problem with export as well. Increasingly, what I do instead is to capture the whole text of a novel (you can do this with an app like Calibre) and manually Anki each sentence with an unfamiliar word that way, copying and pasting sentences into cards I create by hand.

These days, I often just use the lookup feature to quickly highlight words or combinations of characters I didn't understand. If the dictionary finds a valid word, great; if not, I just keep moving and leave the highlight as a marker to myself, regardless of whether it captured all the relevant characters. I figure eventually I'll get around to Anki-ing the sentence later.

This might sound like a lot of cons, but I really do like having novels available to me this way. Sure wish lookup speed was faster though. I might try exporting and cleaning out Vocab Builder to see if that helps.

PS: I would love to hear what dictionaries others use. I am not sure what I have to choose from currently is the best, even after I manually added a couple.
Apologies if my previous post sounds strange, some spammer posted a copy of the original question (what do you use, what are your pros and cons?) and I answered it there before realizing it was a duplicate thread. The moderators very kindly moved my post over here.

Anyway, I wanted to thank risu in the comment just above mine and everyone in this thread - I *finally* figured out how to export my vocab.db file from my kindle and convert it to anki cards, and I am just thrilled that now I can delete all the clutter on my paperwhite and start fresh, knowing that it will be easy to export words I look up in the future. This site is the best.

(For anyone wondering, I used KindleMate to obtain the data from vocab.db and export it to txt, and I also used the "expose hidden folders" trick to locate the vocab.db file itself and back it up in case I want to export the data a different way in future. I'm experimenting with Epwing2Anki. Both KindleMate and Epwing2Anki require me to switch over to my Windows computer, but it's worth it.)
A followup question: now that I've figured out how to get the vocab.db data out of my kindle, I'm experimenting with ways to call up definitions for it. I know there are ways to use JDICT but I'd like to go beyond that.

A number of threads discuss/recommend EPWING dictionaries, including threads on Epwing2Anki and Yomichan. Can anyone provide recommendations on good EPWING dictionaries (J-E and J-J) and simple instructions on how to purchase them in a form that I can use with an app that reads epwing files? I'm willing to pay up to $150 for a dictionary if it is a good one, but my own searches leave me uncertain of which ones would be guaranteed to work the way I'd like. I did some searching on this forum, but didn't turn up exactly the information I was looking for.

I am especially interested in the Kenkyuusha Shinwaei Daijiten 5th ed and the Sanseido J-J used by Rikaichan, if anyone knows the most straightforward way to purchase those. For J-J, I'd love a dictionary that has lots of entries but keeps the definitions on the simple side. The Goo J-J dictionary is ideal for my level, but I doubt that has a non-online version. The Daijisen on my Kindle is often over my head.

I am on a Mac but also have a Windows machine for things I can't do on a Mac.
I hope someone will be able to give me some insight on this basic but increasingly crippling problem:
Situation- what i  want
I buy both english and japanese ebooks.
However I have only 1 kindle device. A paperwhite "manga" 32 gb.
I want to be able to read both english and japanese on the same device.  Just to get it out of the way : sure I could buy 2 devices , one for the japanese, one for the english, but it would be really a pain in the pass considering I have other electronic devices like tablet and smartphone. I dont want to have to bring an army bag every time I take a walk. And I dont want to have to choose beforehand if I m going to pick the "english device" or the "japanese device" either - reading is pretty much a matter of mood for me and I can t possibly know what I will be reading hours from now. So  both books on the same device.

Alleged solution
Now i ve read that by switching account you can pull it off :
for instance you re logged in with your amazon.com account and your english book on your device. then you log off and log in with your amazon.co.jp account and you can download individually the other books of your  japanese elibrary online. You dont have access to your english elibrary anymore but you keep the books downloaded on your device. I could work with that. I dont mind loggin loggin off. Specifically I have the manga model 32gb so I can download a huge number of books making the whole log in log out stuff  pretty painless.

My problem
However what i experience is significantly different:
I have my 100+ english books on my device while logged with my non japanese account. Then I log off and log in with my amazon.co.jp account. I do have access to my japanese library but THEN EVERY SINGLE THING ON MY DEVICE IS WIPED CLEAN.
Considering how many ebooks I have, and I keep buying more, it s nothing short of disastrous. Specifically some books are quite heavy (1200 + page with illustrations like anatomy book,...).  I can t download them everything single time I switch back from japanese to english. It s a dealbreaker for me and I end up consulting my japanese ebook through the amazon cloud which is lame and not very practical.

Now do you know a way to use both japanese and english books on a same device ?
Edited: 2017-01-23, 8:36 am
(2017-01-23, 8:33 am)ghinzdra Wrote: Now do you know a way to use both japanese and english books on a same device ?

Have you considered buying a tablet instead of a reader, using the Kindle App for your English books and buying your Japanese books through honto.jp or similar services instead of Amazon and using a different app to read them?

Also in theory you could install an emulated environment and run a second Kindle app on a virtual machine, but I'm not sure tablets are powerful enough to make that comfortable. Actually, while there is virtual machine software for both linux and windows, I'm just assuming and don't know for sure that any has been ported to the android and microsoft tablet environments.
I actually have not been able to read Japanese books on a kindle app, at least not without breaking the encryption. (I can buy them and read them on the kindle, I just can't see them in a kindle app. Last I checked, the Japanese Amazon didn't have a compatible kindle app.)

Unfortunately, the situation you describe (having to wipe one language in order to read the other) is the norm. I did end up buying a second kindle because of this.

The suggestion of reading English books on a Kindle app and Japanese books on a physical kindle does work. I have often used this trick when traveling, so that at least I can carry fewer devices; read English books on my phone, read Japanese books on the physical kindle.

As far as I know, the only other alternative is to use an app like calibre to break the encryption on both your English and your Japanese books, and then use calibre exclusively to manage moving content on and off the device. In this way, you can have books in both languages stored on the same device. But the minute you try to sync directly with Amazon, everything will get wiped, so basically you can't sync through Amazon any more. That's a huge pain, especially if you like to sync bookmarks etc across devices.

There is no perfect solution - try to find the combination that causes you the least irritation. For me a combination of having two kindles and using a kindle app part of the time has been acceptable. When I am going somewhere for an extended time, like when I go to spend a few weeks at the beach, I take both English and Japanese kindles for greater ease of use - in that case it doesn't matter having an extra item in my luggage.

(I am on a Mac by the way, in case platform makes any difference.)
(2017-01-23, 9:58 am)tanaquil Wrote: As far as I know, the only other alternative is to use an app like calibre to break the encryption on both your English and your Japanese books, and then use calibre exclusively to manage moving content on and off the device. In this way, you can have books in both languages stored on the same device. But the minute you try to sync directly with Amazon, everything will get wiped, so basically you can't sync through Amazon any more. That's a huge pain, especially if you like to sync bookmarks etc across devices.

Does it really wipe sideloaded books when you sync with Amazon? I would have thought you could break the encryption on the English books and load them onto the device, while continuing to use the Japanese books in the normal way (or vice versa).

Looking at Boyue ereaders.

Banggood had the T62+ (seems to be out of stock most of the time, but there were a few up earlier today). People are saying you need to root it to install Google Play.
http://www.banggood.com/Boyue-T62-8G-Dua...42029.html

There are also these two on Amazon. Are they different from each other? I read somewhere that the Energy Pro is the T62. Maybe the Pro+ is the T62+? Comments on these are saying Google Play is already installed.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01BHPF6UK
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00XCWE04A

This page says the Energy eReader Pro is the T62, and Energy eReader Pro + is the T62+, with an upgrade from E Ink Pearl to E Ink Carta.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2015/05...-released/

...OK, got it. This page says the Pro HD is a new one, basically the same as the Pro+ but 40g lighter and without audio.
http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2016/02...-released/

And here are the manuals.
https://www.energysistem.com/en/guide/42535
https://www.energysistem.com/en/guide/42492
Edited: 2017-01-23, 2:28 pm
(2017-01-23, 10:46 am)HelenF Wrote: Does it really wipe sideloaded books when you sync with Amazon? I would have thought you could break the encryption on the English books and load them onto the device, while continuing to use the Japanese books in the normal way (or vice versa).

Oh, I think you might be right about that. Now that I think about it, I believe I do have a few English books sideloaded on my Japanese e-reader. So you can sync with one account, but if you switch and try to sync with the other, that's when it will wipe everything - possibly including sideloaded items, although I haven't tried every permutation. Maybe it only ever wipes the files that it had associated with a particular account. Either way, you can't switch on a regular basis between two accounts that you are keeping in sync, unless you let it wipe the associated files each time.
(2016-10-02, 9:40 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: @Sebastian
Thanks for answering my questions! (And nice キノの旅 wallpaper BTW! I really like the novels & anime.)

Thanks for noticing! My standby image is an illustration from キノの旅 too, which is a nice detail to look at every time I grab my ereader.

Quote:Two more quick questions, What's the battery life like? I only need to charge my charge my kindle around once a month with moderate to heavy use, so it would be cool if the battery life was somewhat similar.

Battery life in my device by now is bad. I usually keep it off, but left it on to see how long it lasts, and it only lasted aprox 41 hours with wifi off and only reading 30 minutes with the backlight on. I installed Battery Doctor and it says that when it's full it's about 900 mah, when it's supposed to be 3000. The device is 2 years old, but when I bought it it lasted I think at least 2 weaks being continuosly on, and with more use.

Quote:Also, you mentioned AnkiDroid before, but didn't mention it in the list of apps which work well, so does AnkiDroid run OK?

I had Ankidroid, but uninstalled it because I don't like reviewing on a black and white screen. I reinstalled again now to be able to answer you, and it works perfectly. Note that you have to root the Boyue Ereader and install the Market Helper app first, or Google Play won't allow you to install Ankidroid.

Quote:The Boyue T62 has around the same screen size as my kindle, and I was hoping to get something a bit bigger, but I'm definitely starting to look around to see if I can find something like it with around an 8 inch screen.

I don't know how they work, but nowadays there are bigger e-ink readers, though they can get quite expensive. For example:

Icarus Illumina XL ( 8" ): 440 USD

Icarus Illumina Pro / Onyx BOOX N96 ML 9.7" ( 9.7", audio jack, bluetooth and stylus ): 369 USD

Onyx BOOX MAX 13.3" ( 13.3", audio jack, bluetooth and stylus ): 794 USD
I recently bought an ebook on Rakuten and I'm trying to figure out how I can read it on an Android device with vertical text, a J-J dictionary, and the ability to save sentences. I used Calibre to remove the DRM and converted the DRM-free epub file to mobi using Kindle Previewer. I tried converting it to mobi with Calibre but that seems to remove the vertical text. Now I can get it to show up on Kindle for Android fine and the dictionary works, but I can't save any highlights. I can highlight sentences in books that I bought on Amazon and it shows up in my highlights in my Amazon account, but that doesn't work for this book. I can highlight but it doesn't show up in my highlights. Also if I try to copy something it says "Your selection exceeds the copy limit set by the publisher of this book." Can anyone help me get it working or let me know of an alternative to Kindle for Android that does what I want?
(2017-02-09, 4:01 pm)Sebastian Wrote:
(2016-10-02, 9:40 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: @Sebastian
Thanks for answering my questions! (And nice キノの旅 wallpaper BTW! I really like the novels & anime.)

Thanks for noticing! My standby image is an illustration from キノの旅 too, which is a nice detail to look at every time I grab my ereader.

Quote:Two more quick questions, What's the battery life like? I only need to charge my charge my kindle around once a month with moderate to heavy use, so it would be cool if the battery life was somewhat similar.

Battery life in my device by now is bad. I usually keep it off, but left it on to see how long it lasts, and it only lasted aprox 41 hours with wifi off and only reading 30 minutes with the backlight on. I installed Battery Doctor and it says that when it's full it's about 900 mah, when it's supposed to be 3000. The device is 2 years old, but when I bought it it lasted I think at least 2 weaks being continuosly on, and with more use.

Quote:Also, you mentioned AnkiDroid before, but didn't mention it in the list of apps which work well, so does AnkiDroid run OK?

I had Ankidroid, but uninstalled it because I don't like reviewing on a black and white screen. I reinstalled again now to be able to answer you, and it works perfectly. Note that you have to root the Boyue Ereader and install the Market Helper app first, or Google Play won't allow you to install Ankidroid.

Quote:The Boyue T62 has around the same screen size as my kindle, and I was hoping to get something a bit bigger, but I'm definitely starting to look around to see if I can find something like it with around an 8 inch screen.

I don't know how they work, but nowadays there are bigger e-ink readers, though they can get quite expensive. For example:

Icarus Illumina XL ( 8" ): 440 USD

Icarus Illumina Pro / Onyx BOOX N96 ML 9.7" ( 9.7", audio jack, bluetooth and stylus ): 369 USD

Onyx BOOX MAX 13.3" ( 13.3", audio jack, bluetooth and stylus ): 794 USD

Oh, that's pretty cool that your standby image is from キノの旅 too! My computer and tablet wallpapers are both from キノの旅, and sometimes people ask me what series they're from. No one's ever heard of it, though that might change if Lerche doesn't make a mess of the new キノの旅 anime remake.

Thanks for answering my questions!
Hmm, that battery life isn't too bad, as long as I never turn on wifi & transfer books via USB, though if I was getting one of the bigger, pricier ones, I'd hope I could get at least 3-5 years out of it before it became unusable or broke down.
Think I'll do some more research on the lifespan of these things.

(2017-05-07, 9:38 pm)kudokupo Wrote: I recently bought an ebook on Rakuten and I'm trying to figure out how I can read it on an Android device with vertical text, a J-J dictionary, and the ability to save sentences. I used Calibre to remove the DRM and converted the DRM-free epub file to mobi using Kindle Previewer. I tried converting it to mobi with Calibre but that seems to remove the vertical text. Now I can get it to show up on Kindle for Android fine and the dictionary works, but I can't save any highlights. I can highlight sentences in books that I bought on Amazon and it shows up in my highlights in my Amazon account, but that doesn't work for this book. I can highlight but it doesn't show up in my highlights. Also if I try to copy something it says "Your selection exceeds the copy limit set by the publisher of this book." Can anyone help me get it working or let me know of an alternative to Kindle for Android that does what I want?

There are a couple suggestions on mobiread you could try:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showth...p?t=249087
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showth...p?t=260068
Edited: 2017-08-27, 4:52 pm
I'm so glad that people posted about ereaders. I never considered getting an ereader for Japanese because I didn't want to deal with buying stuff with vpn or losing access to books i bought with vpn and all that nonsense. What i realized is that there's so much you can read for FREE. there are definitely stuff worth reading on aozora bunko (i love dazai. i highly recommend 駆けこみ訴え)also all you have to do is google aozora bunko yomiyasui or osusume or whatever genre you're interested in)  and there are torrents with ebooks that won awards and whatnot and the filesizes are small of course (just search 一般小説). that's plenty to keep me busy and justify buying a kindle paperwhite 3.  I also buy physical books. I really have plenty to read.

i don't plan on purchasing actual japanese ebooks or english ebooks in the future. I have plenty to read as it is frmo spending $0 and i love my english ebooks and physical english books that i access via my local library and other libraries.

I love how the paperwhite has a pop-up dictinoary and you can use the monoingual or the j-e dictionary. it automatically saves highlights and dictionary look-ups and it knows how to unconjugate the verb/adjective to look it up. it's super convenient and unlike rikai-chan it's on an ereader so it's much easier on the eyes. i also read lengthy internet articles on my kindle by emailing them to the kindle.
Edited: 2017-10-11, 8:10 pm
Hi, it's been a while. I'm looking again to buy an ebook reader. This time I'm thinking to buy an "eBook Reader New Kindle Glare 6, Touch Screen, 8th Generation, Wi-Fi". Do you know if I download and use on this Kindle JP->ENG dictionaries?

Thanks.
You can get both J-J and J-E dictionaries for free on the kindle as well as buy your own/add other free ones such as J-dict, but I'm not sure whether that particular model is okay. When Amazon first branched out in to Japanese e-books only the paperwhite could handle them. That's probably no longer the case because they now sell standard kindles on Amazon.jp but it may be worth double checking.
Thanks, I will do that.