Back

Japanese and E-book readers: A guide

Unfortunately, something went wrong with Barnes and Noble's synapses and they decided to remove the micro SD card slot from the latest Nook Glowlight, which would be a big problem if one wants to use big epwing dictionaries.

It seems the previous Nook Glowlight would be a much better option.

In any case, Nooks come with a very old version of Android, which could be a problem too.

Has anyone rooted a Nook or similar reader and used Rikaichan, Jade Reader, Ankidroid or epwing dictionaries on it?

5 Reasons To Avoid The New Nook GlowLight From Barnes And Noble
distefam Wrote:UPDATE: I fixed my own problem. Instead of using Calibre to convert the book I used Amazon's Kindle Previewer. This converted the EPUB3 file much better than Calibre did. The pages now turn in the proper order and it seems that highlighting works better too.
This is incredibly frustrating. I have tinkered for hours trying to get things to work right in my Paperwhite. So I went ahead and downloaded the Harry Potter sample. I can easily highlight clauses and sentences, but I cannot highlight single words to look up in the dictionary.
Edited: 2014-09-11, 12:13 pm
Cyborg Ninja Wrote:This is incredibly frustrating. I have tinkered for hours trying to get things to work right in my Paperwhite. So I went ahead and downloaded the Harry Potter sample. I can easily highlight clauses and sentences, but I cannot highlight single words to look up in the dictionary.
Possibly a solution here: http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=12062
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Thinking about using Anki(droid) on an ereader, I noticed how being able to use incremental reading on such devices would be an awesome learning tool.

Unfortunately, incremental reading is available on Anki only as an addon that does not work on mobile platforms.

Unless, of course, you got to install some Linux distro that supports Anki and it's addons.

The only info I've found about installing a Linux distro on an ereader is this:

It runs Linux, too: Ubuntu installed on Amazon Kindle

Does anyone know any other ereaders were Linux distros can be installed? Has anyone played with incremental reading on ereaders?
I didn't have much success with ChainLP for reading Manga on the kindle, probably because I'm on linux. However I found another program which seems to do something similar: kcc. Just wanted to post it here in case someone else ran into issues with ChainLP.
I have found here the DoBJG forum tread and I compiled a MOBI e-book with the points from the Anki deck shared here. But maybe these decks are copyrighted so probably I do not have the right to share it? Is that the case?
I just saw this thread, I should probably have posted here, but here is a solution I have been working on for Android: Typhon thread to read ePub and has an evolution of JadeReader dictionary lookup.
So after a nice raise at work I'm looking to buy a Kindle to read Japanese on. Manga and literature.

I see that the Kindle Voyage has a difference in resolutuon, is it worth it? Since I'd probably try to read manga off of it I was wondering if it was noticable. I'd be getting a used version to help with the cost but I'm willing to pay the extra $ if it's worth it.

EDIT: Nevermind, just found out that the paperwhite and voyage are at 300ppi, so I'll just go with the paperwhite. I didn't realize they improved the resolution in the last generation.
Edited: 2016-03-23, 1:19 pm
It was mentioned in another thread, but I'll leave this here for easy reference:
https://github.com/jrfonseca/jmdict-kindle
It's a way to get EDICT/JMdict on your Kindle without buying anything. It's brief, but it has way more entries than the default Progressive J-E dictionary. I go to Daijisen first, but this definitely makes a good backup dictionary.
Edited: 2016-09-28, 2:11 am
(2016-09-28, 2:05 am)Bokusenou Wrote: It was mentioned in another thread, but I'll leave this here for easy reference:
It's a way to get EDICT/JMdict on your Kindle without buying anything. It's brief, but it has way more entries than the default Progressive J-E dictionary. I go to Daijisen first, but this definitely makes a good backup dictionary.

Thank you, this is great.
(2016-09-30, 2:16 pm)See_the_Lite Wrote: Thank you, this is great.

How I hate comma splices.
(2016-09-30, 2:18 pm)Furikake Wrote:

It's not that important, what's the big deal?
(2016-09-30, 2:19 pm)See_the_Lite Wrote:

I don't know, I like periods.
(2016-09-30, 2:23 pm)Furikake Wrote:
(2016-09-30, 2:19 pm)See_the_Lite Wrote:

I don't know, I like periods.
I see, that's too bad.
(2016-09-30, 2:16 pm)See_the_Lite Wrote:
(2016-09-28, 2:05 am)Bokusenou Wrote: It was mentioned in another thread, but I'll leave this here for easy reference:

Thank you, this is great.

No problem, glad it helped!
I just bought a uk paperwhite. Is there an official Japanese dictionary I can download for free? I tried searching for 辞書 on the jp store but no luck. What's a good j-j dictionary to get if that's not an option?
Edited: 2016-10-01, 2:22 am
(2016-10-01, 2:22 am)Splatted Wrote: I just bought a uk paperwhite. Is there an official Japanese dictionary I can download for free? I tried searching for 辞書 on the jp store but no luck. What's a good j-j dictionary to get if that's not an option?

I have a first-gen paperwhite, so things might have changed a bit in the later versions, but with mine near the top of the screen there's a "device" button & a "cloud" button. If I click the cloud button it takes me to my cloud library where there's a folder called "Dictionaries". There it gives me a list of dictionaries I can download, including Daijisen & Progressive J-E. Note that you can also change the interface language to Japanese in the settings if you like. Oh, I should mention that I have my kindle's interface language set to Japanese, so the real names of those buttons may be a bit different, but it's probably something similar.
Hope that helps!

EDIT: Also, definitely check out AozoraEpub3 if you haven't already and want to convert some aozora bunko-formatted text files to kindle format. A guide for how to use it is here (in Japanese):
http://blog.livedoor.jp/takoyaki4610-ebo...45367.html
The only way I've gotten the dictionaries to recognize conjugated verbs is by converting books using that method & using "Send to Kindle" to send the mobi file to my kindle. There's a Send to Kindle software on amazon.com that I use, but I can't find an Amazon UK page on it, so maybe try the email send to kindle method: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome...=201974220
Edited: 2016-10-01, 6:42 am
I don't understand why people are all over about Kindle, when there are Android ereaders, which allow you to basically use any app you can find on regular Android tablets or phones.

Personally, I bought the Boyue T62 time ago, and couldn't be happier with it. You have to root it and install a market helper app so you can access the Google Play store, but the process is simple, and you end up with the best of both the Android ecosystem and e-ink screens.

The Boyue T62 has a backlit e-ink screen, an audio jack if you want to listen to music or audiobooks, and Android 4.0 if I'm not wrong.

With an Android ereader, you can use apps like Ankidroid, Rikaisama on Firefox, Epwing dictionaries and much more. As for reading books for studying (not just Japanese, but general learning too), I love Google Play Books, because it allows you to sync your bookmarks and notes to a Google Drive file that you can later access from the ereader, your phone, computer or any other device, where you can then use said notes for reviewing, making Anki cards or whatever you want.

The only inconvenient, besides having to root the device and install a market helper app, is that you have to use Google Play Books 3.4.9, since for some reason newer versions mess up the layout of books.

I bought the Boyue last year, but I know there are newer Android ereaders available nowadays, including this awesome looking (yet expensive) 13.3" one, perfect if you want to read manga, for example.
(2016-10-01, 4:08 pm)Sebastian Wrote: I don't understand why people are all over about Kindle, when there are Android ereaders, which allow you to basically use any app you can find on regular Android tablets or phones.

Personally, I bought the Boyue T62 time ago, and couldn't be happier with it. You have to root it and install a market helper app so you can access the Google Play store, but the process is simple, and you end up with the best of both the Android ecosystem and e-ink screens.

The Boyue T62 has a backlit e-ink screen, an audio jack if you want to listen to music or audiobooks, and Android 4.0 if I'm not wrong.

With an Android ereader, you can use apps like Ankidroid, Rikaisama on Firefox, Epwing dictionaries and much more. As for reading books for studying (not just Japanese, but general learning too), I love Google Play Books, because it allows you to sync your bookmarks and notes to a Google Drive file that you can later access from the ereader, your phone, computer or any other device, where you can then use said notes for reviewing, making Anki cards or whatever you want.

The only inconvenient, besides having to root the device and install a market helper app, is that you have to use Google Play Books 3.4.9, since for some reason newer versions mess up the layout of books.

I bought the Boyue last year, but I know there are newer Android ereaders available nowadays, including this awesome looking (yet expensive) 13.3" one, perfect if you want to read manga, for example.

Hmm, I'm intrigued...I was thinking of getting a slightly bigger Kindle, like with an 8 inch screen or so, but Amazon doesn't make Kindles with anything bigger than 6 inches. It'd be neat if you could answer a few questions about Android ereaders to help me decide whether to get one or not. (As well as for the benefit of whoever else might be reading )
  • How did you find out about the one you bought? Over here only Kindles & Nooks are in stores, though it looks like there are a ton of lesser known ereaders too. Without trying them out in person it might be hard for me to judge the screen quality from photos...
  • Do updates go smoothly, or can not you update it at all?
  • Could you go into more detail on how you rooted it & installed a market helper app?
  • Since it comes with an older version of Android & has an e-ink screen do you have trouble finding apps that work well with it?
  • Is it fairly stable? No crashing, etc?
Anyway, thanks for posting about Android ereaders!
Edited: 2016-10-01, 10:41 pm
(2016-10-01, 2:56 am)Bokusenou Wrote:
(2016-10-01, 2:22 am)Splatted Wrote: I just bought a uk paperwhite. Is there an official Japanese dictionary I can download for free? I tried searching for 辞書 on the jp store but no luck. What's a good j-j dictionary to get if that's not an option?

I have a first-gen paperwhite, so things might have changed a bit in the later versions, but with mine near the top of the screen there's a "device" button & a "cloud" button. If I click the cloud button it takes me to my cloud library where there's a folder called "Dictionaries". There it gives me a list of dictionaries I can download, including Daijisen & Progressive J-E. Note that you can also change the interface language to Japanese in the settings if you like. Oh, I should mention that I have my kindle's interface language set to Japanese, so the real names of those buttons may be a bit different, but it's probably something similar.
Hope that helps!

EDIT: Also, definitely check out AozoraEpub3 if you haven't already and want to convert some aozora bunko-formatted text files to kindle format. A guide for how to use it is here (in Japanese):
http://blog.livedoor.jp/takoyaki4610-ebo...45367.html
The only way I've gotten the dictionaries to recognize conjugated verbs is by converting books using that method & using "Send to Kindle" to send the mobi file to my kindle. There's a Send to Kindle software on amazon.com that I use, but I can't find an Amazon UK page on it, so maybe try the email send to kindle method: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/help/custome...=201974220

Thanks I found it. For those with newer kindles the path is my library/all/dictionaries.

Thanks for the tip about aozoratoepub I'll definitely check it out.
(2016-10-01, 10:40 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: Hmm, I'm intrigued...I was thinking of getting a slightly bigger Kindle, like with an 8 inch screen or so, but Amazon doesn't make Kindles with anything bigger than 6 inches. It'd be neat if you could answer a few questions about Android ereaders to help me decide whether to get one or not. (As well as for the benefit of whoever else might be reading )
  • How did you find out about the one you bought? Over here only Kindles & Nooks are in stores, though it looks like there are a ton of lesser known ereaders too. Without trying them out in person it might be hard for me to judge the screen quality from photos... 

Time ago I got interested in buying an ereader, but I wanted something I could customized to my needs, while Kindles seem to be extremely limited in that respect. So, I thought there must be ereaders with Android and started researching on them. The first one I discovered was the Nook, but as gdaxeman pointed out in this post, there was a much, much better (yet for some reason much, much less known) Android ereader, which was the Boyue T62.

Quote:
  • Do updates go smoothly, or can not you update it at all?

I don't know if there are official updates to the os, but since I rooted my Boyue, it won't receive automatic updates. I guess it's probably possible to manually install newer versions of Android, but I haven't needed to do so at all. Take in mind this is a device used mostly for simple tasks like reading ebooks, browsing online, using dictionaries, etc.

I use Google Play Books for reading because it's the only app that I know that allows you to export your bookmarks and notes. As I mentioned, you need to use an old version or it'll mess up the layout, but as far as I know newer versions haven't added any feature that I need, so I'm perfectly satisfied as it is.

Quote:
  • Could you go into more detail on how you rooted it & installed a market helper app?

It was a while ago, but I think I followed the instructions here. Beware, as always with these things, only you are responsible of what you do with your device and there's always some chance that you could need to undo what you do, or even you could get your device bricked.

Quote:
  • Since it comes with an older version of Android & has an e-ink screen do you have trouble finding apps that work well with it?

Since it has an e-ink screen, anything that includes videos or animations will look very bad, but for text it's perfect, and even images look rather good, considering that the screen is black and white. One problem that the e-ink display has given me is that in some particular pop-up windows I can't read the text, but that has never given me much trouble and has happened just with a couple specific popups.

For the most part I just use Google Play Books, which works perfectly if you use the version I pointed out earlier. Other apps that I have on my Boyue T62 that work are EBPocket (Epwing dictionary), Firefox, Google Maps (though it doesn't look good), Maps.me (another map app which works offline and looks much better), Screenshot Easy, Airdroid, しゃ説う (for reading Japanese newspaper editorials, and you can select text and send it directly to EBPocket for checking vocabulary).

If you're considering getting a Boyue T62 but need to know if some specific (free) app works on it, I can try it and tell you how it works.

Quote:
  • Is it fairly stable? No crashing, etc?

I don't use it much as I should, but it has only froze a couple times in over a year, and it always worked again after a restart.

One big problem that I actually had, was that I think after rooting it, wifi would eat the battery so fast that it wouldn't even last a day. That was annoying indeed, but now the battery is working perfectly as it's supposed to do. I guess either Clean Master and/or Greenify did their work and fixed the issue of apps eating the battery, or the little dwarf living inside my ereader decided to stop hating me.
BTW, the "desktop" so to speak only works with the default ebook reader app, so since I use Google Play Books, I installed Nova to adapt it to my needs. This is what my main screen looks like, except in black and white since it's eink (the device still takes screenshots in color as if it was a normal tablet).

[Image: y7aalf1emyyoip1zg.jpg]
@Splatted Great! Glad you found it!

@Sebastian
Thanks for answering my questions! (And nice キノの旅 wallpaper BTW! I really like the novels & anime.) Two more quick questions, What's the battery life like? I only need to charge my charge my kindle around once a month with moderate to heavy use, so it would be cool if the battery life was somewhat similar.
Also, you mentioned AnkiDroid before, but didn't mention it in the list of apps which work well, so does AnkiDroid run OK?
The Boyue T62 has around the same screen size as my kindle, and I was hoping to get something a bit bigger, but I'm definitely starting to look around to see if I can find something like it with around an 8 inch screen.

EDIT: @Everyone living outside Japan
I think I found a way to buy Japanese ebooks outside Japan without needing to use a proxy! After a bit of Googling I found this:
http://wormholetoakihabara.blogspot.com/...kuten.html
The books can be stripped of DRM with the DeDRM plugin, so I can convert them to other formats.

EDIT 2: There's a website that makes converting your vocabulary builder list into anki decks easier, apparently:
https://fluentcards.com/

EDIT 3: Found another more advanced Kindle vocabulary builder list & notes manager which has an Anki export option: http://kmate.me/
Edited: 2016-10-21, 9:07 am
I'm having an issue with converting an "innocent book" into epub. I was searching the forums for a possible solution but couldn't find any and since this is the go-to thread of ebook readers and formatting, I thought I'd ask here.

I used AozoraEpub3 and dragged my innocent book in txt format into the program just as the directions stated. It made a working epub file but there is one problem:

[Image: ACAoech.png]

Huh I have no clue how to fix the text formatting. Ideally having vertical text is nice but horizontal is ok too if I can't rotate the text. Could it be fixed by tweaking the AozoraEpub3 settings and recreate a new epub file or can the current epub be fixed using Calibre?

Thanks. Smile
Have you tried it on an ereader or maybe the kindle app (using something like kindlegen to convert it first) ? Japanese vertical text usually shows up that way in calibre for me but when send the book to my kindle it shows up fine.