Back

Using ankidroid on e-ink reader

Hello this is my first post here and I have been searching high and low in this forum and outside this forum but unable to find out the following information.

Is there anyone here using successfully able to use ankidroid for learning japanese on e ink device?
Have seen some video online but the guy do not use anki to learn Japanese so i don't know if it's possible as Japanese character is different.

Or do you guys think it's better to use normal android tablet? I hope not as looking at computer or tablet for too long a but stressful for my eye.

Another question, e ink devices can easily read Japanese pdf file right?
That depends on the e-ink reader; with Nook Simple Touch, for example, you can root it, turn it into a Fully Fledged Android Tablet and then install Android apps in it, from Android Market and everything:
Quote:Instead of just a touch-sensitive ereader, you get a real, portable Android tablet with access to the Market, your email, your social networks, Google docs, multiple ebook stores and ereaders, Dropbox, any anything else you care to do with it. If an e-ink based ereader is up your alley, but you wish you could find one that can at least pull its weight for other tasks, and considering the Kindle Touch is the same price and nowhere near as useful once rooted, we'd say it's worth the money if you want the best of both worlds.
Lifehacker: Turn a $99 Nook into a Fully Fledged Android Tablet in Four Easy Steps

Note: I don't have a Nook Simple Touch to test so I don't know how well this would work with Ankidroid; in any case, Ankidroid itself, on a regular Android phone or tablet, is often used for Japanese, and you can even use custom fonts to make it work better than with the default font. As for the PDF support it depends, but for the most time it works the same as in a desktop computer (with a small screen.) Only if the Japanese PDF file uses custom fonts it could cause some problems I believe.
Edited: 2012-10-20, 10:40 am
Thanks, I have read that site and lot's of other site, still haven't found someone like my situation and if it will work correctly.

Among my choice would be nook simple touch, kindle touch, or sony prs-t2.
MONSTER Sale Get 28% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! (Oct 16 - 27)
JapanesePod101
I would say that, if it works on a regular Android device, it would work on a rooted e-ink device with a similar hardware running Android too, because it's basically the same thing, only with a different screen. Not 100% sure because I can't test it to confirm, but keep that in mind. Also, remember that Kindle Touch is not nearly as flexible as Nook Simple Touch: you can root it but you can't do all the same things after that, given that Kindle Touch is not based on Android (unlike Kindle Fire, with the LCD screen.)
Edited: 2012-10-20, 11:16 am
So kindle touch is not based on android? I must have missed that. Then my choice is between sony prs-t2 and nook simple touch.

It seems like no one use anki on e-ink reader.
Edited: 2012-10-21, 10:56 am
I think am going to pull the trigger on nook simple touch. I don't know if I can successfully make anki work on it or if it is not that straightforward (needing to install font, etc).

Can you read japanese textbook on nook simple touch with ease?
tendou Wrote:So kindle touch is not based on android? I must have missed that. Then my choice is between sony prs-t2 and nook simple touch.

It seems like no one use anki on e-ink reader.
Kindle Touch uses a heavily customized Linux distribution for ARM processors, with tools written by Amazon on top of it. And yes, it seems nobody here has used AnkiDroid on an e-ink device; only Android-based e-readers would support that, and most people who use e-readers have Kindles and don't even know that Nook Simple Touch — or the latest two Sony devices (but not as well) — can be transformed into an Android tablet so... Since no one has done it, there's also no way to know if, for example, these e-readers are powerful enough to run the app with decent speeds, so that's another thing to think about.

As another option, there are e-ink readers that have rudimentary web browsers with which users can access the web, so perhaps they could work with Ankiweb, but that's another thing I have no idea if it really works or not.

tendou Wrote:I think am going to pull the trigger on nook simple touch. I don't know if I can successfully make anki work on it or if it is not that straightforward (needing to install font, etc).
Installing AnkiDroid and making it work for Japanese would probably be the easy part — but rooting the device, now that would be the hardest part, in case you have never done something similar before. You can even brick the device (but it can often be "unbricked", unless you do something really wrong.) On the other hand, as nobody seems to have done it before in this forum, you would be a source of original, extremely useful information! On the worst-case scenario, you would only be able to use it to read ebooks and not do anything else, but since that's what these devices were originally made for that wouldn't be a big loss, unless you were counting on more.
Edited: 2012-10-25, 11:20 pm
If worst come to worst and I am unablt to make the ankidroid working on it, nook glowlight or simpletouch can it read japanese in stock form?

what about japanese pdf book of bigger size, say a4 or letter sized. or should i just call it quit and just use lcd android tablet like the nexus which i can't easily do what i want except the ease on the eye factor? or all 6 inch e ink reader doomed for anything other than novel.
So I have gotten a nook simple touch e reader, rooting it and have been using anki on it.
tendou Wrote:So I have gotten a nook simple touch e reader, rooting it and have been using anki on it.
Anki web or AnkiDroid? How's the general experience of studying Japanese on it?

Thanks for your feedback!!
ankidroid, so it can be used offline. The experience is great! I just can't stop doing anki on this because it doesn't give me eyestrain at all. I use the old ankidroid version.

I just use text and no image or sound.
tendou Wrote:ankidroid, so it can be used offline. The experience is great! I just can't stop doing anki on this because it doesn't give me eyestrain at all. I use the old ankidroid version.

I see, thanks for your feedback, it will definitely come in handy to someone else in the future!
wow, amazing. so the simple touch doesn't have speakers or a headphone jack? but bn.com boasts more about what it does have than what it doesn't, so i'm unclear.
Nope. No speaker or headphone jack.

However if you want to use anki or some android application on it, rooting is necessary.

They got a good guide on how to do that on xda forum.
How noticeable is the screen update delay when using Anki? (I guess it might depend on the type of cards you're answering / what proportion of the total time is spent updating the screen.)
fairly noticeable. but not too bad in my opinion. My deck only contain text. No picture.
[EDIT: I should have posted on this thread: Japanese and E-book readers: A guide]

Has anyone here had any experience on using Ankidroid on e-ink readers during these last 2 years?

Would apps like Rikaichan for Android, Jade Reader and Android Epwing readers work on an e-reader?

What would be the best e-reader for those tasks?

I've been thinking of getting a Nook Glowlight 2014, which would be awesome if I can get to root it, and then install all the apps mentioned above for reading websites, light novels, etc., adding vocabulary to Ankidroid and then reviewing it (though I guess I'd need to import vocabulary to Anki via computer, but that would be a minor detail).
Edited: 2014-07-28, 1:17 am
(2012-11-18, 7:45 am)tendou Wrote: ankidroid, so it can be used offline. The experience is great! I just can't stop doing anki on this because it doesn't give me eyestrain at all. I use the old ankidroid version.

Hello tendou, 
I'm very interested in using ankidroid on an ereader and I'm very glad to find your solution of this problem. 
Does it still work and does the ankidroid synchronize with your PC / smartphone? 
I'm used to write my anki-cards on the PC and I repeat them on my smartphone. Because of the synchronisation via internet this is very comfortable. But i would really prefer to use an e-ink reader because of the eyestrain.

Do you think your solution works still today?

Thank you for your inspiration!
I installed Ankidroid on a rooted Boyue T62, and it works perfectly. I don't review there, though, because the grayscale e-ink screen is way too dull for doing reviews for me, and I either do my reviews on the computer or the phone anyway.

Nowadays there are even more options for Android e-ink readers, so it's a matter of doing some research, and it shouldn't be too hard to find something that satisfies your needs. You can start reading this thread: Japanese and E-book readers: A guide
it seems that the most economic option for getting an ereader for the doing anki is the nook glowlight or nookglowlight plus but you gotta do extra stuff to it. i guess some of the more expensive android ereaders don't require rooting.

I found these sites

https://the-digital-reader.com/2015/12/1...en-rooted/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/nook-to...t-t2853056