Back

how to do some reading and listening practice

I think either using Core6K or creating your own cards works just fine - what works better for you depends largely on your learning style. 

I think what's more important than what deck you use is finding and attempting to read/listen to new materials every week. Anki's usefulness comes in giving you a foothold into the language by allowing you to become somewhat familiar with words you previously didn't know at all. But you really need to couple it with intensive and extensive reading/listening to see how these words are used in context, and to reinforce their (in many cases multiple) meanings over time. Anki will help you understand, e.g., what the base definition of words like あげる and かける are; but it's not until you see these words used in practice hundreds (or thousands) of time that you get a solid understanding of their meaning and use in multiple situations. 

If you go the Core6K route, I'd suggest supplementing it with vocab from source materials you're currently studying - NHK News Easy, anime, graded readers, etc. Set your Anki leech threshold really low (mine is about 3), and don't be afraid to suspend cards you don't think are currently useful for your studies; you can always re-enable them later.

Re: Subs2SRS - I found it useful in the early stages, but easily got bored by having to listen to the same sentences over and over. You can use J-subs to study the vocab for an anime or drama and add the unknown words as individual cards if you prefer, then use the original episode for listening practice on the go.

Messages In This Thread
RE: how to do some reading and listening practice - by gaiaslastlaugh - 2017-03-20, 5:54 pm