Back

What do you think of Wanikani?

yogert909 Wrote:I can't speak to madman because I've only seen one episode. But being that I work in the advertisement business, I'm not about to criticize advertising or banner ads. But then again everybody knows banner ads are advertisements. But if somebody paid me to write in this forum how great a product was, nobody knows I'm being paid and have a reason to be biased. I'm not sure I even think it should be illegal, but I do believe it is slimy. You don't?
It's not illegal or anything even close to it. I am not even sure it can be seen as slightly unusual. Slimy maybe. But that's advertising/information control in general.

History lesson about why marijuana was ever made illegal is on point here. Hearst owned newspapers and timber forests, and use one to sell the other. Is is not advertising just because he never labeled his entire newspaper chain's slant as an advertising agency?

Recent history lesson here: Fox News is the advertising agency of the military-industrial complex. Fox made a multi-millionaire out the the Vice President, and made Halliburton billions of dollars, and no one called that advertising, but that's exactly what Fox News is, an advertising agency for the military industrial complex.

I am in love with FOSS (free open source software) because that is the one time that internet mentions are not tied to profit.

Other than that, from the very beginnings of the non-academic form of the internet, every time a commercial product gets mentioned, it takes a naive person, or one not aware of history to *not* assume that some good percentage of mentions (up to and including 100%, positive or negative) are done by people paid to post about it.

Microsoft paid minions to post FUD on newsgroups about IBM's OS/2 Warp. It's also worth pointing out that IBM was not an injured innocent, since the word FUD can be traced back to the line "No one ever got fired for buying IBM."

In the age of Yelp, where one person with a grudge can hurt a company, a company would be stupid not to have a good portion of its advertising budget on 'social' advertising.

If an employee is spreading the word about a company on social media, or if the companies are paying a person to spread out and post about it, how is the fact that one person is an employee and the other freelance make anything different?

It is clear (to me at least) that if there is a product, someone is getting paid to mention it/use it/hold it in their hands in a scene. Sometimes the person mentioning it (use it/hold it in their hands in a scene) is directly receiving money, sometimes they aren't.

But someone is getting paid. Or a viewpoint is getting sold. Or a brand is getting established.
(2015-09-07, 4:58 am)Alhusseini Wrote: 1 month in: This site is incredibly poorly organized and too damn slow. On this site we usually get our reviews in one huge chunk or two, on that site it's split up into so many sets that I'd finish a review only to have another one in 5 minutes, then another in 7 minutes, then another in 6 minutes instead of doing it all at once. Using RTK you'd probably learn 20 kanji a day for a total of 140 a week, on wanikani you'd learn all 140 in a day which is incredibly overwhelming. You also have to type out your answer on the flashcard system which is surprising very time consuming and the system is unforgiving of typos that could delay progress for literally days. As for the people on the forum, they are incredibly useless when it comes to Japanese advice, they direct almost every single question to grammar. Doesn't matter what you ask they will somehow shift the topic to you needing to learn more grammar. Once I asked them why the example sentences have kanji that is far too advanced to read and they f*cking told me to learn grammar. I'm still not going to give up on that site just yet, I'll stick for at least a year to really get to know the site and see if it's truly useless or not, my foots too deep in the shit to pull out. I'll report back then with another review of my experiences.

Could I trouble you for that report? I'm level 5 in WaniKani right now.
Good sight for beginners, but too damned slow for someone used to study intensively. I also felt like I was getting too many reviews of easy stuff, and failing reviews of hard stuff too often. When my first paid subscription ran out, I decided not to put any more money into it, and feel like I made the right choice there.
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
(2017-04-19, 12:22 am)NinKenDo Wrote: Good sight for beginners, but too damned slow for someone used to study intensively. I also felt like I was getting too many reviews of easy stuff, and failing reviews of hard stuff too often. When my first paid subscription ran out, I decided not to put any more money into it, and feel like I made the right choice there.

I bought a year's worth of subscription two months ago, because I had a real problem with discipline. I ended up trying to learn and giving up on Japanese three times since 2014, so WaniKani was going to be the thing that I did every day for a year (and 2 months) no matter what just to keep me learning the language.

Turns out I ended up branching out to other places to learn grammar/vocab and some kanji. It achieved what I wanted it to, though; it motivated me enough to do Japanese every day for the past two months, which is 1 and a half months longer than any of my previous attempts.

Still gonna keep doing it, of course. Wasted $50 otherwise. The other bonus is that it has 6,000 vocabulary words, and not all of them are common, so mixing it with core 6k means that I'll be getting something closer to 10k vocabulary by the end of this year.

School takes up a big chunk of my time though, so WaniKani is still quite viable at the moment; because I'm doing something.

I'm curious to hear the opinions of someone who made it all the way through WaniKani and whether it helped all that much.