Back

NEW FORUM: General feedback

Please post general feedback here, regarding the forum configuration, plugins etc.

Please post mobile & responsive design issues / suggestions in this thread.

Some notes:

- This is not a finalized design. I will continue to improve it.
- It's a big change, I know. Give it a few days you'll probably start to like it.
- It IS more colorful and different from the old design. This is intended.

New index page: The biggest change is that the index page which will always show the recent discussions without having to click "Show recent posts" and the like. And you see more Recent Topics than the old forum used to show at the top of the page. This may get a little used to but I think you'll like it.

Responsive design: Google now ranks mobile friendly sites higher on mobile searches, so a change was necessary in order to ensure the forum is attractive to phone and tablet users, as well as maintain healthy traffic. The previous design was pretty much unusable for phones and small tablets. You had to pinch and zoom everywhere. No longer. Try resizing your window smaller on a desktop and you'll see it works all the way down to 480px.

New forum software: you have now access to these new features:

- Rich Text Editor
- Video embedding
- Send and receive PMs, you can export them
- Rate other user's posts to show your appreciation (we can discuss plugin alternatives for this)
- Save drafts of a new posts or topic
- Quick Search a thread (see bottom of thread page)
- Quick Search a forum (see bottom of forum page)
- etc

Not so obvious features:

- Forum Statistics (found in index sidebar)
- Forum Team (our moderators) (found in index sidebar)
- Click the Replies in the thread list and a popup will show everyone who posted in the thread and how many replies

Statistics from the upgrade:
  • 5560 internal links were updated, 80 are broken (deleted threads/posts)
  • 3995 YouTube video embeds (unlabeled links were converted to a video embed)
  • 5300+ members, all spam bots accounts were cleaned up
  • 229,000+ posts converted
  • 13,360+ threads
Using Reputation
* Click the heart next to "Reply" in a person's post, or "Rate" on a person's profile.
* There is only one rate per post and per profile.
* You can remove a rate / like, by going to the person's profile  > Reputation > Details and delete it from there.
* You can leave a message (think like a guest book)

F.A.Q. / Troubleshooting
* Use the free Google Japanese IME instead of Microsoft's if you have trouble with the Rich Text Editor. Alternatively, set the editor to "source" by default in your Profile > Edit Options > Other Options.
Edited: 2015-11-22, 7:03 am
Great job Fabrice! One small thing, the "Wiki" link on the top status bar displays a PHP error.
PMs will be nice!
I was about to ask what happened to the 'recent post' search, but... It's a good thing I decided to read your notes first!

It's different than it used to be, but doesn't seem like a large departure, so it should be perfectly usable

Oh, and we get titles now? Interesting.
Edited: 2015-11-15, 2:40 pm
Thanksgiving Sale: 30% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS Subscriptions! (Nov 13 - 22)
JapanesePod101
Just saw the mobile version and I agree it is more visually pleasing. Load time is faster too (not that it was slow...just faster than it was before). Navigation is pretty straight forward.
Thanks. Ok I have to put it down temporarily so as not to potentially expose more php errors.

PS: when you have a PM a little red dot appears on the mail in the header bar Smile

PPS: during transition you may get a lot of new posts that are older posts. I'm sorry I didn't figure it out. Use "Mark forum as read" in each category and from there on it should work just fine. You should be able now to visit, leave, come back an hour later, and still find your unread posts (bolded topics with "NEW" label).
Edited: 2015-11-15, 2:45 pm
Very quick refresh time...

Thanks Fabrice!
By the way I still agree with the feedback received earlier in relation to the Categories. I think the design of the tags on the main page isn't great, but I haven't thought of anything better yet. I'll keep trying different ideas. And I'd like also to make a more fancy background eventually.. Maybe some kind of subtle gradient to enliven the top of the page. But for a few weeks forward I'll have to focus on fixing issues, and plugins etc.
I am aware of the following issues atm:

- Viewing a received PM in User CP, layout is broken & not responsive
- "Full Edit" of a post, layout is broken & not responsive
- "Locked" icon does not show on the Recent Topics list (index page)

- Some of the User CP pages look unfinished. It takes forever to redesign them, they should be functional though.
- Moderator CP pages likewise, they are usable though
Hi, Fabrice.

After watching the new version on a full HD desktop, it looks great! (Didn't try on a phone yet, though.)
I agree with the opinion that it seems to load even faster than before. Nice job!

One minor issue: my old bookmarks are broken.
For instance, an old URL pointing to:
Code:
http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=10083&page=5

instead of getting translated to:
Code:
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-7827.html?page=5

gets translated to (note that "&" is used instead of "?"):

Code:
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-7827.html&page=5

giving a 404 NOT FOUND error.

Other than that, I love the new platform.
Regards.
Thank you! Super important to fix asap for Google.

That said did I think you meant "p" instead of "page" in your old bookmarks right? I don't think "page" was used.

Old PunBB format link http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=10083&p=5

This should be redirected properly now.
Edited: 2015-11-15, 7:10 pm
(2015-11-15, 2:38 pm)sholum Wrote: Oh, and we get titles now? Interesting.

Oh yeah lots of settings to configure.

Currently they are:

Code:
Title         Posts

Newbie           0
Junior Member    1
Member          50
Senior Member  250
Posting Freak  750

If anyone wanna suggests Japanese themed titles, make a thread (to discuss) Smile

PS: looks like everyone can pick a custom title in your profile page. I'm fine with that, since we don't have sigs... you can personalize your title if you want to! (mods and admin have a special color anyway so there should be no confusion)
Edited: 2015-11-15, 8:09 pm
(2015-11-15, 8:06 pm)ファブリス Wrote: PS: looks like everyone  can pick a custom title in your profile page. I'm fine with that, since we don't have sigs... you can personalize your title if you want to! (mods and admin have a special color anyway so there should be no confusion)
This can be interesting, let's see... OK, nice.
Edited: 2015-11-15, 8:41 pm
Otsukare-sama!

It looks great Smile
Maybe it would be nice to update the staff thread a bit?
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-9389.html
Half the staff intros there are from members who aren't staff anymore, and that might confuse new members, not to mention the PM links don't really work anymore now.
Edited: 2015-11-15, 10:27 pm
This may be local to me, but the site load is slowed by the "waiting for maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com" pretty frequently.

My ISP uses a really slow DNS server, located a continent away, with an incredible long ping time, so it might just be me.
I love it so far! By the way I've just changed my password and the confirmation mail was automatically marked as spam by gmail, I don't know if there's anything you can do about it, just thought it was worth mentioning.
(2015-11-16, 5:59 am)Kuroro Wrote: (...) the confirmation mail was automatically marked as spam by gmail

Hmm. I guess I'll need more reports on this to know if it's MyBB emailing being flagged, or likely the web host (HostGator), which can be used by spammers sometimes (ie. shared hosting can cohabit with troublesome sites, I have no idea).

I'll keep an eye on the Member List. I can see 2-3 Non activated accounts there. I could perhaps remove activation altogether...

I will also look into the Facebook / Google+ sign in to make registration easier.
(2015-11-15, 10:22 pm)Bokusenou Wrote: Maybe it would be nice to update the staff thread a bit?
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-9389.html
Half the staff intros there are from members who aren't staff anymore, and that might confuse new members, not to mention the PM links don't really work anymore now.

Done!
I am having difficulty typing Japanese on my laptop. I use Windows 8.1 and I'm using the Japanese ime. I'll explain. Whenever I change my language to Japanese and type something and press SPACE BAR to show an option of kanji, the entire word disappears! I can only add Japanese if I write it on a notepad and copy/paste onto the forum message box.
The Microsoft IME is still junk. Install Google's as it is the best free one available.

https://www.google.co.jp/intl/ja/ime/
I wish to say thanks to aldebrn over at another thread, and clicked on "Give Reputation to this user" <3 (heart icon) but it does not seemed to work. How do I get the <3 (heart icon) to work?
Reputation works fine for me (Windows 7, on a PC, using Firefox). What device/browser are you using?
(2015-11-16, 5:59 am)Kuroro Wrote: I love it so far! By the way I've just changed my password and the confirmation mail was automatically marked as spam by gmail, (...)

You may be right there is a problem because the member list shows many recent registrations are stuck with "Account not Activated".

EDIT: I activated those 7 accounts for the time being.
Edited: 2015-11-18, 7:17 am
I have no idea about the implications of that lol couldn't it be due to fake email addresses? Anyway I'm glad I could help
No. I can see the emails in the admin console, they look like valid emails (not mailinator and such). So there is definitely a problem.

I could probably remove the activation altogether, since the security question is very effective vs spam bots.