kanji poster

Index » Learning resources

Reply #1 - 2008 June 15, 8:57 am
taijuando

I'm curious to see how people who have bought the kanji poster have used them.  I've created stories or studied others stories for all 2042 kanji.  So now when I can spare a moment, I just look at the poster and try to see if I can go from kanji to keyword.  My Heisig book is right underneath it on a shelf and I can look up any questions I have.  It's slow because I have a nine-month old and she sleeps in the room where the poster is.  Once I get most of my cards into the fourth pile, and I've gone from kanji to keyword on the poster I imagine I will go back to the beginning on the poster and review onyumi and kunyomi readings.  I know I can do the same thing on anki but it's nice to have something physical to look at.  It really puts in your face all that you've learned and all you still get the opportunity to learn.  Any other ways people have been using the poster?

Reply #2 - 2008 June 15, 3:04 pm
Nuriko

I've gotten pretty good use out of my kanji poster.  I'm in the sentence stage and whenever I've learned a pronunciation of a new kanji, I color over it with a red dry erase marker.  When the whole poster is red, I will have completed my goal.  I had an idea about kanji I know more than 1 reading for, where I would color over already-red kanji with blue (which would ideally make purple) but unfortunately the white board markers just kinda erase each other XD

Dakoina
Website

White rabbit press also has a new Kanji Poster for pre-order:

- colored by JLPT level
- All the joyo kanji (but doesn't follow Heisigs order)
- Every kanji you need to know for all four levels of the Japanese Language Proficiency Test (JLPT)
- All the characters' on and kun readings

I'm hesitating to buy one from White Rabbit's Kanji Poster or Kanjiposter.com

Can't afford both of them smile item cost & shipping of kanjiposter.com is more expensive I see

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101
Sponsor

tibul
Website

Yeah I got the one from Kanjiposter.com, It was great while I was still doing RTK as I could mark off my progress and was a real motivation booster especially as I got further down the poster.

I now use it to mark Kanji that I am having trouble remembering, plus seeing them in one huge poster gives you a great sense of achievement when you've finished.

bodhisamaya

I made my own.  I printed all 3007 kanji from RTK1 and RTK3 in order covering both sides of 11x16 bright yellow construction paper.  I took it to the printers and they laminated it for $3.00.   Cost me about $4.00 total.

Dakoina
Website

bodhisamaya wrote:

I made my own.  I printed all 3007 kanji from RTK1 and RTK3 in order covering both sides of 11x16 bright yellow construction paper.  I took it to the printers and they laminated it for $3.00.   Cost me about $4.00 total.

How much time did it take you to create that?

alyks
Website

I think it would be cooler to make posters and stuff from really cool phrases and things in Japanese. That way you're not just staring at random kanji, but something really cool. I'd rather buy a really cool movie poster filled with Japanese and watch how the kanji on it slowly become known. =]

b0ng0

Well I have my poster right infront of my computer so every now and again, I look up at a random kanji and try to recall the meaning. I also use dry markers to keep track of my progress, mark on certain milestones or goals. I use it almost more like a kanji calendar.

igordesu

I have a kanji poster, and I like it.  I mark off the kanji as I go along, and every now and then I take a picture so later on I'll be able to sort through the pictures and see my progress.

<-----------(I have pictures on my blog wink )

Last edited by igordesu (2009 January 16, 10:32 am)

ファブリス
Administrator
Website

Dakoina wrote:

White rabbit press also has a new Kanji Poster for pre-order:

Well, paddy is a trend setter I see ;-)  WR's poster is nice too, I'm not sure what the colours are, maybe to sort through more easily? EDIT: Oooh I think I got it, those are JLPT levels?

Anyway, it seems the main difference is that White Rabbit's version is based on JLPT while Paddy's version is in RtK order.

Well I had an idea for a new silly kanji poster : make it a sticker surface instead of laminated, shuffle all the kanji. Now everytime you complete one, remove the little square stickers. Stick that kanji wherever you like, behind, a picture is uncovered as you progress through RtK big_smile

PS: Paddy once sent me by email also a URL of a site that seemed to be a complete rip off (design and all) of his, but we shall not link to that very unsporty site here smile

ファブリス
Administrator
Website

As an anecdote on paddy's site... for a while I thought he had a problem with one of the pictures on the Mighty Kanji T Shirt page ... until I realised the characters were upside down so that the wearer can read them him/herself  ^_-

bodhisamaya

Dakoina wrote:

bodhisamaya wrote:

It took me a couple hours of copy and paste from: Review Detailed flashcard list

If it helps anyone:

一二三四五六七八九十口日月田目古吾冒朋明唱晶品呂昌早旭世胃旦胆亘凹凸旧自白百中千舌升昇丸寸専博占上下卓朝只貝貞員見児元頁頑凡負万句肌旬勺的首乙乱直具真工左右有賄貢項刀刃切召昭則副別丁町可頂子孔了女好如母貫兄克小少大多夕汐外名石肖硝砕砂削光太器臭妙省厚奇川州順水氷永泉原願泳沼沖江汁潮源活消況河泊湖測土吐圧埼垣圭封涯寺時均火炎煩淡灯畑災灰点照魚漁里黒墨鯉量厘埋同洞胴向尚字守完宣宵安宴寄富貯木林森桂柏枠梢棚杏桐植枯朴村相机本札暦案燥未末沫味妹朱株若草苦寛薄葉模漠墓暮膜苗兆桃眺犬状黙然荻狩猫牛特告先洗介界茶合塔王玉宝珠現狂皇呈全栓理主注柱金銑鉢銅釣針銘鎮道導辻迅造迫逃辺巡車連軌輸前各格略客額夏処条落冗軍輝運冠夢坑高享塾熟亭京涼景鯨舎周週士吉壮荘売学覚栄書津牧攻敗枚故敬言警計獄訂討訓詔詰話詠詩語読調談諾諭式試弐域賊栽載茂成城誠威滅減桟銭浅止歩渉頻肯企歴武賦正証政定錠走超赴越是題堤建延誕礎婿衣裁装裏壊哀遠猿初布帆幅帽幕幌錦市姉肺帯滞刺制製転芸雨雲曇雷霜冬天橋嬌立泣章競帝童瞳鐘商嫡適滴敵匕北背比昆皆混渇謁褐喝旨脂壱毎敏梅海乞乾腹複欠吹炊歌軟次茨資姿諮賠培剖音暗韻識鏡境亡盲妄荒望方妨坊芳肪訪放激脱説鋭曽増贈東棟凍妊廷染燃賓歳県栃地池虫蛍蛇虹蝶独蚕風己起妃改記包胞砲泡亀電竜滝豚逐遂家嫁豪腸場湯羊美洋詳鮮達羨差着唯焦礁集准進雑雌準奮奪確午許歓権観羽習翌曜濯曰困固国団因姻園回壇店庫庭庁床麻磨心忘忍認忌志誌忠串患思恩応意想息憩恵恐惑感憂寡忙悦恒悼悟怖慌悔憎慣愉惰慎憾憶慕添必泌手看摩我義議犠抹抱搭抄抗批招拓拍打拘捨拐摘挑指持括揮推揚提損拾担拠描操接掲掛研戒械鼻刑型才財材存在乃携及吸扱丈史吏更硬又双桑隻護獲奴怒友抜投没設撃殻支技枝肢茎怪軽叔督寂淑反坂板返販爪妥乳浮将奨採菜受授愛払広拡鉱弁雄台怠治始胎窓去法会至室到致互棄育撤充銃硫流允唆出山拙岩炭岐峠崩密蜜嵐崎入込分貧頒公松翁訟谷浴容溶欲裕鉛沿賞党堂常裳掌皮波婆披破被残殉殊殖列裂烈死葬瞬耳取趣最撮恥職聖敢聴懐慢漫買置罰寧濁環還夫扶渓規替賛潜失鉄迭臣姫蔵臓賢堅臨覧巨拒力男労募劣功勧努励加賀架脇脅協行律復得従徒待往征径彼役徳徹徴懲微街衡稿稼程税稚和移秒秋愁私秩秘称利梨穫穂稲香季委秀透誘穀菌米粉粘粒粧迷粋糧菊奥数楼類漆様求球救竹笑笠笹筋箱筆筒等算答策簿築人佐但住位仲体悠件仕他伏伝仏休仮伯俗信佳依例個健側侍停値倣倒偵僧億儀償仙催仁侮使便倍優伐宿傷保褒傑付符府任賃代袋貸化花貨傾何荷俊傍久畝囚内丙柄肉腐座卒傘匁以似併瓦瓶宮営善年夜液塚幣弊喚換融施旋遊旅勿物易賜尿尼泥塀履屋握屈掘堀居据層局遅漏刷尺尽沢訳択昼戸肩房扇炉戻涙雇顧啓示礼祥祝福祉社視奈尉慰款禁襟宗崇祭察擦由抽油袖宙届笛軸甲押岬挿申伸神捜果菓課裸斤析所祈近折哲逝誓暫漸断質斥訴昨詐作雪録尋急穏侵浸寝婦掃当争浄事唐糖康逮伊君群耐需儒端両満画歯曲曹遭漕槽斗料科図用庸備昔錯借惜措散廿庶遮席度渡奔噴墳憤焼暁半伴畔判券巻圏勝藤謄片版之乏芝不否杯矢矯族知智矛柔務霧班帰弓引弔弘強弱沸費第弟巧号朽誇汚与写身射謝老考孝教拷者煮著署暑諸猪渚賭峡狭挟追師帥官棺管父交効較校足促距路露跳躍践踏骨滑髄禍渦過阪阿際障随陪陽陳防附院陣隊墜降階陛隣隔隠堕陥穴空控突究窒窃窪搾窯窮探深丘岳兵浜糸織繕縮繁縦線締維羅練緒続絵統絞給絡結終級紀紅納紡紛紹経紳約細累索総綿絹繰継緑縁網緊紫縛縄幼後幽幾機玄畜蓄弦擁滋慈磁系係孫懸却脚卸御服命令零齢冷領鈴勇通踊疑擬凝範犯厄危宛腕苑怨柳卵留貿印興酉酒酌酵酷酬酪酢酔配酸猶尊豆頭短豊鼓喜樹皿血盆盟盗温監濫鑑猛盛塩銀恨根即爵節退限眼良朗浪娘食飯飲飢餓飾館養飽既概慨平呼坪評刈希凶胸離殺純鈍辛辞梓宰壁避新薪親幸執報叫糾収卑碑陸睦勢熱菱陵亥核刻該劾述術寒醸譲壌嬢毒素麦青精請情晴清静責績積債漬表俵潔契喫害轄割憲生星姓性牲産隆峰縫拝寿鋳籍春椿泰奏実奉俸棒謹勤漢嘆難華垂睡錘乗剰今含吟念琴陰予序預野兼嫌鎌謙廉西価要腰票漂標栗遷覆煙南楠献門問閲閥間簡開閉閣閑聞潤欄闘倉創非俳排悲罪輩扉侯候決快偉違緯衛韓干肝刊汗軒岸幹芋宇余除徐叙途斜塗束頼瀬勅疎速整剣険検倹重動勲働種衝薫病痴痘症疾痢疲疫痛癖匿匠医匹区枢殴欧抑仰迎登澄発廃僚寮療彫形影杉彩彰彦顔須膨参惨修珍診文対紋蚊斉剤済斎粛塁楽薬率渋摂央英映赤赦変跡蛮恋湾黄横把色絶艶肥甘紺某謀媒欺棋旗期碁基甚勘堪貴遺遣舞無組粗租祖阻査助宜畳並普譜湿顕繊霊業撲僕共供異翼洪港暴爆恭選殿井囲耕亜悪円角触解再講購構溝論倫輪偏遍編冊典氏紙婚低抵底民眠捕浦蒲舗補邸郭郡郊部都郵邦郷響郎廊盾循派脈衆逓段鍛后幻司伺詞飼嗣舟舶航般盤搬船艦艇瓜弧孤繭益暇敷来気汽飛沈妻衰衷面革靴覇声呉娯誤蒸承函極牙芽邪雅釈番審翻藩毛耗尾宅託為偽長張帳脹髪展喪巣単戦禅弾桜獣脳悩厳鎖挙誉猟鳥鳴鶴烏蔦鳩鶏島暖媛援緩属嘱偶遇愚隅逆塑岡鋼綱剛缶陶揺謡就懇墾免逸晩勉象像馬駒験騎駐駆駅騒駄驚篤騰虎虜膚虚戯虞慮劇虐鹿薦慶麗熊能態寅演辰辱震振娠唇農濃送関咲鬼醜魂魔魅塊襲嚇朕雰箇錬遵罷屯且藻隷癒丹潟丑卯巳 此柴砦些髭璃禽檎憐燐麟鱗奄庵掩俺悛駿峻竣臼舅鼠鑿毀艘犀皐脊畷綴爾璽鎧凱妖沃呑韮籤懺芻雛趨尤稽厖采或斬兎也尭巴甫疋菫曼巾云卜喬莫倭侠倦佼俄佃伶仔仇伽僅僻儲倖僑侶伎侃倶侭佑俣傭偲脩倅做凄冴凋凌冶凛凧凪夙鳳劉刹剥剃匂勾厭雁贋厨仄哨嘲咎囁喋咽嘩噂咳喧喉唾叩嘘啄呪吠吊噛叶吻吃噺噌唄叱邑呆喰埴坤堆壕垢坦埠填堰堵嬰姦妬婢婉娼妓娃姪嫉嬬姥姑姐嬉孕孜宥寓宏牢塞宋宍屠屁屑尻屡屍屏嵩崚峨崖嶺嵌嵯帖幡幟庖廓庇鷹庄廟彊弥弛粥挽撞扮掠挨掴捺捻掻撰拭揃捌撹摺按捉拶播揖托捧撚挺擾捗撫撒擢捷抉怯惟惚怜惇憧恰恢悌湧澪洸滉漱洲洵滲洒沐泪渾沙涜淫梁澱氾洛汝漉瀕濠溌溺湊淋浩汀鴻潅溢汰湛淳潰渥灘汲瀞溜渕沌汎濾濡淀涅釜斧爺猾猥狡狸狼狽狗狐狛狙獅狒莨茉莉苺萩藝薙蓑萎苔蕩蔽蔓蓮芙蓉蘭芦薯菖蕉芯蕎蕗藍茄苛蔭蓬芥萌葡萄蘇蕃苓菰蒙茅芭苅蓋葱蔑葵葺蕊茸蒔芹苫葛蒼藁蕪藷薮蒜蕨蔚茜莞蒐菅葦迪辿這迂遁逢遥遼逼迄遜逗郁鄭隙隈憑惹悉忽惣愈恕昴晋曖晟暈暉旱晏晨晒昧晃曝曙昂旺昏晦腎股膿腑胱胚肛臆膝脆肋肘腔腺腫膳肱胡楓枕楊椋榛櫛槌樵梯椅柿柑桁杭柊柚椀栂柾榊樫槙楢橘桧棲栖梗桔杜杷梶杵杖椎樽柵櫓橿杓李棉楯榎樺槍柘梱枇樋橇槃栞椰檀樗槻椙彬桶楕樒毬燿燎炬焚灸燭煽煤煉燦灼烙焔熔煎烹牽牝牡瑶琳瑠斑琉弄瑳琢珊瑚瑞珪玖瑛玩玲畏畢畦痒痰疹痔癌痩痕痺眸眩瞭眉雉矩磐碇碧硯砥碗碍碩磯砺碓禦祷祐祇祢禄禎秤黍禿稔稗穣稜稀穆窺窄窟穿竃竪颯站靖妾衿裾袷袴襖笙筏簾箪竿箆箔笥箭筑篭篠箸纂竺箕笈篇筈簸粕糟糊籾糠糞粟繋綸絨絆緋綜紐紘纏絢繍紬綺綾絃綻縞綬紗舵舷聯聡聘耽耶蚤蟹蛋蟄蝿蟻蜂蝋蝦蛸螺蝉蛙蛾蛤蛭蛎罫罵袈裟戴截哉詢諄讐諌謎諒讃誰訊訣詣諦詮詑誼謬詫諏諺誹謂諜註譬轟輔輻輯貌豹賎貼貰賂賑躓蹄蹴蹟跨跪醤醍酎醐醒醇麺麹釦銚鋤鍋鏑鋸錐鍵鍬鋲錫錨釘鑓鋒鎚鉦錆鍾鋏閃悶閤闇雫霞翰斡鞍鞭鞘鞄靭鞠頓顛穎頃頬頗頌顎頚餌餐饗蝕飴餅駕騨馳騙馴駁駈驢鰻鯛鰯鱒鮭鮪鮎鯵鱈鯖鮫鰹鰍鰐鮒鮨鰭鴎鵬鸚鵡鵜鷺鷲鴨鳶梟塵麓麒冥瞑暝坐挫朔遡曳洩彗慧嘉兇兜爽欝劫勃歎輿巽歪翠黛鼎鹵鹸虔燕嘗殆孟牌骸覗彪秦雀隼耀夷戚嚢丼暢廻畿欣毅斯匙匡肇麿叢肴斐卿翫於套叛尖壷叡酋鴬赫臥甥瓢琵琶叉舜畠拳圃丞亮胤疏膏魁馨牒瞥阜睾巫敦奎翔皓黎赳已棘聚甦剪躾夥鼾祟粁糎粍噸哩浬吋呎梵陀薩菩唖迦那牟珈琲檜轡淵伍什萬邁逞燈裡薗鋪嶋峯巌埜舘龍寵聾慾亙躯嶽國脛勁箋祀祓躇壽躊彙饅嘔鼈亨侑梧欽煕而掟

Last edited by bodhisamaya (2009 January 16, 1:59 pm)

Reply #13 - 2009 January 16, 1:40 pm
kaoskastle
Website

bodhisamaya wrote:

Mine's a bit less... sophisticated. I just printed out six sheets of graph paper with 520 squares each, and I pin them up on the wall and write in each kanji as I learn it. So it starts off completely empty... and gradually fills to Magical Knowing A Billion Kanji status. It's pretty rad. I should take a picture.

Reply #14 - 2009 January 16, 2:54 pm
Dakoina
Website

I already made a template for my own Kanji poster in photoshop. Now I must find a shop where they can print poster sized stuff.

That list you gave us is a very good start smile actually you can even ask a print shop to make a kanji print... why didn't I think of that before. It might be much cheaper

Last edited by Dakoina (2009 January 16, 2:58 pm)

Reply #15 - 2009 January 16, 4:52 pm
igordesu

OMGOSH BODHYISAMAYA!  That's insane!  Man, I'll be honest, I don't really need that list, but I almost wish I did.  Props to you for making it bro!  That *almost* rivals my mega-long post on the religion debate thread, lol!  Holy smokes!

Reply #16 - 2009 January 16, 4:54 pm
igordesu

lol, before I realized it was a list, I was like "is that chinese?..."  LOL.

Reply #17 - 2009 January 16, 5:48 pm
erixer

hey, are there any Chinese posters like this? How about on for Remembering the Hanzi? smile

Reply #18 - 2009 January 16, 6:14 pm
bodhisamaya

igordesu wrote:

Man, I'll be honest, I don't really need that list

I'm going to lie to you, I don't really need it either smile

Reply #19 - 2009 January 27, 9:55 am
joe_bevis
Website

bodhisamaya wrote:

Dakoina wrote:

bodhisamaya wrote:

It took me a couple hours of copy and paste from: Review Detailed flashcard list

If it helps anyone:

thanks that helped

Reply #20 - 2009 January 27, 1:17 pm
Omnistegan

If anyone is interested, here is a 1920x1200 desktop image with all the Kanji in RTK order.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8538/56662148wp2.th.jpg

It's possible to make it smaller, but the smaller the characters get, the harder they are to read, using this on my EeePC gave me a massive headache.

Reply #21 - 2009 January 28, 8:00 am
undead_saif

bodhisamaya wrote:

If it helps anyone:

Omnistegan wrote:

If anyone is interested, here is a 1920x1200 desktop image with all the Kanji in RTK order.

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8538 … wp2.th.jpg

It's possible to make it smaller, but the smaller the characters get, the harder they are to read, using this on my EeePC gave me a massive headache.

Hey guys I'm new here, AWESOME site BTW, it's really cool to see other ppl working hard on learning a new language like me:)
About the quotations, THANKS A LOT GUYS!! that helped a lot, I mean, It really did help lol.xD

Last edited by undead_saif (2009 January 28, 8:02 am)

Reply #22 - 2009 March 14, 4:52 pm
Harrow

bodhisamaya wrote:

Thanks!  I already have two WR Kanji Posters, one at home and one at my office, but I just copied and pasted your compilation and used it to print out the whole list on 16 pages of ordinary sized paper with large-enough-to-read-easily kanji.

Now I can study kanji > keyword on bus/train/plane w no books, computer, or internet.

Doumo!

Reply #23 - 2009 March 29, 6:17 pm
lolwaffles

Omnistegan wrote:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/8538 … wp2.th.jpg

That's an awesome wallpaper, but does anyone have on with black (or darker) text instead?

Reply #24 - 2009 March 29, 7:28 pm
Asriel

http://i43.tinypic.com/ztsrgm.jpg

No problem, just a color reverse

Reply #25 - 2009 March 29, 11:54 pm
welldone101

My desktop is 1280 x 800, what program would you recommend I use to resize it?