Iknow.jp =/= smart.fm

Index » The Japanese language

  • 1
 
pervygoat
Member
From: philadelphia
Registered: 2012-03-03
Posts: 20

-----Smart.fm and Iknow.jp , anyone tried both?-----------
I downloaded the smart.fm's core 2k step 1-10 and smart.fm's core 6k step 1-12 off of the Anki download share interface.

I finished Core 2k [step 1] and I thought, hey, (*2!!!)lets buy iknow.jp (*3!!!), to show support for the free content I've been using, and maybe get a little out of it.

[(*2!!!)I've read bad stories on how Iknow.jp basically stole all of the user's content and was being overall evil ]
(*3!!!)I'm on a rolling subsription.

So far after doing iknow.jp's Core 1000 , step 1 (only 20% through so far) I've noticed minor differences.

1)The word Baby was changed from Akanbou to Akichan.
2) some sentences were rearranged with minor vocab differences.
3) Most of the content was the same.
4)The game "Brainspeed" is cool.
5)"Konnani" sentences were added, a concept not in (smart.fmcore 2k's step 1), but early introduced in (Iknow.jp's core 1k)
6)I also feel like Iknow.jp's "Clozed deletion" technique is annoying because it forces you to type in things (Maybe this is a waste of time?),
7) What  are your thoughts? Is Iknow.jp worth it for 12$ a month since all of the content is already for free on Anki?

What differences have you seen? liked, not liked?

----------------------RANDOM TANGENT BELOW------------------------
[[[[[This is my goal for Japanese- To listen and understand, that's all. I don't want to know how to read or write.

Basically I just want to watch anime, which only requires listening skills.  (*1!!!), I've noticed how everything is conjucated somewhat differently in anime then in proper sentences in Smart.fm/Iknow.jp, everything seems to end in dictionary "suru" or a cute slang ending.


(*1!!!)and oh yeah my long lost dad is in Japan (not trolling, he left when I was born), so I'd be cool to look him up one day and give him a suprise visit using Japanese.  He and me are origionally viet, but it'd be a nice bonus to be able to talk to him In Japanese, hes been there for 20 years( I'm 20 years old). Long story.
----------------------------MORE RANDOM WEABOO STUFF-------------------

Anyone know where I can buy a premade "Core anime" Deck? The core Vocabs are really useful, with subs I can recognize and match up 90% of the Verbs/Pronouns/adjectives with the words they are saying, but I wonder if theres better practices out there? ]]]]]]]

Last edited by pervygoat (2012 March 06, 12:16 am)

Reply #2 - 2012 March 06, 2:22 am
juniperpansy
Member
Registered: 2009-08-03
Posts: 156

>>Anyone know where I can buy a premade "Core anime" Deck?

Use subs2srs to make your own.

Reply #3 - 2012 March 06, 6:02 am
wccrawford
Member
From: FL US
Registered: 2008-03-28
Posts: 1551

iKnow constantly updates their database, so changes aren't surprising.  Just the other day I complained about a translation and they agreed and changed it.  It now matches the sentence provided and doesn't match another word in the same set.  Much better.

iKnow didn't 'steal' any content from anyone.  What they did was accept a lot of user content for a long time, and allow sharing of it...  And then remove that ability.  Many people were really pissed off.  They used to have an amazing API as well, and they shut that down, too.  I don't blame people for being pissed about these things.

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101
Sponsor
 
Reply #4 - 2012 March 06, 5:08 pm
overture2112
Member
From: New York
Registered: 2010-05-16
Posts: 400

pervygoat wrote:

I've noticed how everything is conjucated somewhat differently in anime then in proper sentences in Smart.fm/Iknow.jp, everything seems to end in dictionary "suru" or a cute slang ending.

I can't recommend Japanese the Manga Way enough for helping with this.

pervygoat wrote:

Anyone know where I can buy a premade "Core anime" Deck?

I'm not a fan of premade vocab decks anymore because with subs2srs it's too easy to make your own deck custom tailored to your own needs.  A simple analysis with MorphMan confirms the obvious assumption that there's quite a difference in the sort of vocab used in newspapers vs slice of life anime vs medieval fantasy, etc.  If you really want to focus on just single word vocab over sentences, you can combine subs2srs with MorphMan and only do i+1 cards while displaying the unknown morpheme.

Reply #5 - 2012 March 06, 7:23 pm
Babyrat
Member
From: UK
Registered: 2008-10-07
Posts: 144

pervygoat wrote:

Anyone know where I can buy a premade "Core anime" Deck?

Make your own. To make your own is very easy, especially if you follow nukemarines youtube channel which helps you work out how to make subs2srs http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL … ature=plcp

Its slightly outdated, for example subs2srs now comes with an inbuilt theme that overwrites around 2-3 of nukemarines videos. Another problem I've found is that generally Japanese subs do not match well with English subs so its best to only go Japanese subs (think nukemarine also mentions this), which I also do think assists more with learning.

I have 2 K-on! season 2 episodes in Anki if you are that lazy to not make your own, but I advise you do make your own and pick your own media which you feel you enjoy and want to study.

Last edited by Babyrat (2012 March 06, 7:30 pm)

Reply #6 - 2012 March 06, 7:36 pm
caivano
Member
From: Tokyo
Registered: 2010-03-14
Posts: 705

If you're using smart fm and wanna improve listening the dictation exercises (now in skills training > listening practice) are really good smile

Reply #7 - 2012 March 06, 8:04 pm
pervygoat
Member
From: philadelphia
Registered: 2012-03-03
Posts: 20

I do the jknow.jp curriculum, when it prompts me to listen to excersizes and  type in i do it, otherwise i didnt know u could pick what lesson you want.

also certain words like hetai(Problem) and nigero(run?) come up a lot in anime. I tried getting rikaisama to do the real time import thing everyone was talking about, I followed instructions on the firefox plugin website, but still my hotkey didnt work.

(Ill pick up a "japanese the manga way next time im at barnes and nobles, ive seen it, it was 40 dolalrs so i was skeptic about bying it) I have the pirated version as im sure everyone does but its a little pixelized and im not into reading on a computer screen anyway.

just so im clear, does rikaisama have audio with sample sentence readings?I couldnt get the import to work so i dont know, is it like [front in kanji] [back with hirigana+eng def] + audio reading? because that would be great.

Reply #8 - 2012 March 06, 8:56 pm
Tzadeck
Member
From: Kinki
Registered: 2009-02-21
Posts: 2416

(Offtopic: The username 'pervygoat' reminds me of a character Bill Hicks sometimes used in his stand-up named "Randy Pan the goat boy."  Randy Pan was sort of his character that respresent the pure animal sexual lust of a man.  His other major character was 'Backed Up Willie,' a man who never got enough action.)

Last edited by Tzadeck (2012 March 06, 8:56 pm)

Reply #9 - 2012 March 06, 9:45 pm
pervygoat
Member
From: philadelphia
Registered: 2012-03-03
Posts: 20

Tzadeck wrote:

(Offtopic: The username 'pervygoat' reminds me of a character Bill Hicks sometimes used in his stand-up named "Randy Pan the goat boy."  Randy Pan was sort of his character that respresent the pure animal sexual lust of a man.  His other major character was 'Backed Up Willie,' a man who never got enough action.)

----------------------Explaination of my username------------------
I was born in the year of the goat, and in my native language (Vietnamese), goat is "de" and that translates to pervert.
---------------------------End---------------------
From age 0-9 I spoke fluent viet and still do with my parents, but I've been living in America for 11 years so english is better then my viet, but I can still have the "intuition" to be fluent in viet. I kind of wished I lived in Japan for some time when I was younger to build this "intuition", to be fluent is to just have a feel of whats being said and your brain(and heart?) knows whats being communicated to you. Its a shame I'm trying to build it through Anki and anime instead of social interaction, but alas I live in America, where Chinatown's are abundant but Japanese community is small (not that I would alienate them anyways).

Even though I don't need it for my major(Electrical engineering), I'm going to sign up for Japanese 001 next semester to get to be with a Japanese teacher(might be super helpful) and maybe a free A, if my 4 months of self teaching has been effective as I think it has been.

Reply #10 - 2012 March 06, 11:46 pm
Zgarbas
Watchman
From: 名古屋
Registered: 2011-10-09
Posts: 1185
Website

what's a hetai? o.O. 下手?
にげろう is just the imperative version of にげる and you probably shouldn't memorize it readily conjugated. Of course shounen will have mostly the same words(にげろう、たすけて、みろ、くるな、パンツ、すごい) over and over again, not to mention the fact that you'll be able to understand what's going on given the voice acting/extreme expressions, and many words from it are unlikely to show up in core 2k or even 6k lists since they're of little use in real life. You'll also have a problem with the fact that (as far as I know) beginner textbooks all start with regular polite speech, which you will almost never encounter in anime. Once you step out of shounen there will be a completely different language awaiting, though again, full of improbable IRL language use.
Wasn't there a website with guides on how to learn japanese specifically to watch and understand anime, polite speech be damned? It sounds like you could use it smile.

Iknow has a listening drill but tbh once you get past beginner level it's not that much. I always recommend Iknow for learning vocab, though. Remember that Brainspeed is free smile. I like typing in things, but I guess it's each with their own.

Last edited by Zgarbas (2012 March 06, 11:46 pm)

Reply #11 - 2012 March 07, 12:16 am
pervygoat
Member
From: philadelphia
Registered: 2012-03-03
Posts: 20

Zgarbas wrote:

what's a hetai? o.O. 下手?
にげろう is just the imperative version of にげる and you probably shouldn't memorize it readily conjugated. Of course shounen will have mostly the same words(にげろう、たすけて、みろ、くるな、パンツ、すごい) over and over again, not to mention the fact that you'll be able to understand what's going on given the voice acting/extreme expressions, and many words from it are unlikely to show up in core 2k or even 6k lists since they're of little use in real life. You'll also have a problem with the fact that (as far as I know) beginner textbooks all start with regular polite speech, which you will almost never encounter in anime. Once you step out of shounen there will be a completely different language awaiting, though again, full of improbable IRL language use.
Wasn't there a website with guides on how to learn japanese specifically to watch and understand anime, polite speech be damned? It sounds like you could use it smile.

Iknow has a listening drill but tbh once you get past beginner level it's not that much. I always recommend Iknow for learning vocab, though. Remember that Brainspeed is free smile. I like typing in things, but I guess it's each with their own.

Yeah I'm starting to like it now too. You said iknow don't have good listening drills? What do you mean, I thought every sentense had audio. Are they not good enough? I'm also supplementing it with anki's core 2k (which is the same thing, but I feel like I have more control over anki).

Reply #12 - 2012 March 07, 2:06 am
Zgarbas
Watchman
From: 名古屋
Registered: 2011-10-09
Posts: 1185
Website

Every sentence has audio, but imho they're only good up to a lower-intermediate level. Too simple and slow to be good past that. They should keep you busy for at least a few months though.

(Pick up one of them English courses offered on the site and test the listening drill there to understand what I mean. The difference between the sentences and what you, a native, would use is obvious.)

Don't overdo the reviews. Iknow should be enough smile.

Reply #13 - 2012 March 07, 2:28 am
pervygoat
Member
From: philadelphia
Registered: 2012-03-03
Posts: 20

Zgarbas wrote:

Every sentence has audio, but imho they're only good up to a lower-intermediate level. Too simple and slow to be good past that. They should keep you busy for at least a few months though.

(Pick up one of them English courses offered on the site and test the listening drill there to understand what I mean. The difference between the sentences and what you, a native, would use is obvious.)

Don't overdo the reviews. Iknow should be enough smile.

Oh god, the English recordings are terrible.. so bad and not normal intonations at all, if I shadow iknow, is that what I'd sound like? oh god..

  • 1