Use subs2srs to Create Anki Decks Based on Your Favorite Movie or Show

Index » Learning resources

Reply #751 - 2011 May 19, 7:25 pm
cb4960

Miguelitius wrote:

Hi everyone.

I'm having a problem with subs2srs and I would appreciate some help:

I'm trying to subs2srs "Laputa: Castle In The Sky", I insert both japanese and english subs (in .idx/.sub), the video, output, etc. When I click "preview" or "go" the little box pops up saying the usual:

"Processing subtitles for episode 1 of 1
Note: Vobsubs (.idx/.sub) can take a couple of minutes to process."

And the bar starts to load... BUT it just reaches the end and nothing happens, subs2srs just freezes there (and stays like that for hours if I don't end the process with task manager).

From what I tested already, the problem is not from the video, as it works with other subs, even .idx/.sub ones.

Thanks in advance.

Email me the subtitle files and I'll try to determine the issue.

Reply #752 - 2011 June 03, 7:14 pm
Daichi

Can you get rid of the requirement of having the same number of files in the subtitle and video directory? If it sees 9 subtitles but 25 video files, it should just say "HEY, I can only do the first 9 files here!" A simple warning is better then an outright error.

I've tried using subs2srs before and this is pretty much the big thing that keeps me from touching it.

Reply #753 - 2011 June 21, 9:57 pm
revenantkioku

Hey, sorry to bother you when I'm being pointless and trying to get this to run on OS X via mono but I got:

Unhandled Exception: System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.KnownColors ---> System.TypeInitializationException: An exception was thrown by the type initializer for System.Drawing.GDIPlus ---> System.DllNotFoundException: gdiplus.dll
  at (wrapper managed-to-native) System.Drawing.GDIPlus:GdiplusStartup (ulong&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupInput&,System.Drawing.GdiplusStartupOutput&)
  at System.Drawing.GDIPlus..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
  at System.Drawing.KnownColors..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Drawing.Color.get_Black () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeWin32Classic..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeVisualStyles..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ThemeEngine..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.SystemInformation.get_MenuAccessKeysUnderlined () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.Control:.ctor ()
  at System.Windows.Forms.WindowsFormsSynchronizationContext..cctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at subs2srs.FormMain..ctor () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
  at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) subs2srs.FormMain:.ctor ()
  at subs2srs.Program.Main () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

I tried finding if it was pointless or not to try to run it on OSX, if it is I'll gladly give up. If there's something that I could do though, I'll happily give it a shot.

It looks like it can't find gdiplus.dll? Was there something I was supposed to install besides mono?

Thanks in advance.

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101
Sponsor

Reply #754 - 2011 June 22, 1:55 pm
cb4960
Reply #755 - 2011 July 06, 6:08 pm
BohemianCoast

What an awesome program. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it in the thread, but I'm using a Mac, and the Windows version runs beautifully in Crossover. I created a new XP bottle in Crossover Games; installed Microsoft NET 3.0 into it, and then subs2srs. It then just ran from the GUI using the usage guide from the Sourceforge page. I've now got a lovely set of subs for the first half of Paco and the Magical Book, with screenshots and audio. I'm very happy -- and very impressed with subs2srs.

Reply #756 - 2011 July 06, 8:05 pm
cb4960

BohemianCoast wrote:

What an awesome program. I don't know if anyone else has mentioned it in the thread, but I'm using a Mac, and the Windows version runs beautifully in Crossover. I created a new XP bottle in Crossover Games; installed Microsoft NET 3.0 into it, and then subs2srs. It then just ran from the GUI using the usage guide from the Sourceforge page. I've now got a lovely set of subs for the first half of Paco and the Magical Book, with screenshots and audio. I'm very happy -- and very impressed with subs2srs.

Thanks for sharing!

Reply #757 - 2011 July 07, 12:59 am
nest0r
Website

This is weird. I can't seem to make audio or video clips with subs2srs? It says: “Buffering several frames is not supported. Please consume all available frames before adding a new one.” in red, and the resulting clips are empty 10kb files.

Edit: And this goes back all the way to version 20 when I try it, so I know it's something to do with my machine, and something fairly recent since I know I've used most of these versions at varying points up to not long ago. Not to mention it happens with various videos I've tried. I must've broken something?

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 07, 10:14 am)

Reply #758 - 2011 July 07, 10:55 am
nest0r
Website

Okay it works now. It's strange, now that it works, I see the same message which must've always been there, and the empty clips I now understand to be part of the span selection. But normally stuff gets processed after a certain number of frames or whathaveyou, and the clips come out normal. But for a while all the clips were being generated as non-functioning. I must've done something weird.

Edit: Hmm it still doesn't work with this h.264 5.1 48000hz aac .mkv file.

The error I'm getting is “Resampling with input channels greater than 2 unsupported.” So I guess it's related to the 5.1?

Edit 2: I found a different 5.1 version of the same file (AC3 this time) and that seems to be working; ironically after that I discovered my .ass subs weren't being processed correctly (it gave me a message that no lines were selected, and in the preview it showed zero English lines from the English .ass, and all the Japanese subs from the jp .ass were on one line), and when I tried to examine them in AegisSub I discovered that program no longer works for me, so I used SubResync to convert to .srt and then I had no problems. So strange.

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 07, 12:41 pm)

Reply #759 - 2011 July 07, 2:02 pm
nest0r
Website

By the way, do you think it'd be good to rename the .tsv based on the episode number (I also use it for CD number)? Or have subs2srs append new lines to the original or something? I mention it because I accidentally overwrote the .tsv I made from CD1 of a film with the .tsv I made from CD2. The media files were fine in the same folder, since they were named differently due to my using the episode # setting to reflect the CD1 and CD2.

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 07, 2:02 pm)

Reply #760 - 2011 July 07, 8:09 pm
cb4960

nest0r wrote:

This is weird. I can't seem to make audio or video clips with subs2srs? It says: “Buffering several frames is not supported. Please consume all available frames before adding a new one.” in red, and the resulting clips are empty 10kb files.

The red message is completely normal, but the 10kb clips are not. No idea what could have caused that. I have noticed on rare occasions that ffmpeg refuses to work with certain videos but I haven't been able to recognize a pattern. In these cases I don't think it generated any files at all.

nest0r wrote:

...and when I tried to examine them in AegisSub I discovered that program no longer works for me...

Yikes! Whatever the problem is, it seems to be spreading.

nest0r wrote:

By the way, do you think it'd be good to rename the .tsv based on the episode number (I also use it for CD number)? Or have subs2srs append new lines to the original or something? I mention it because I accidentally overwrote the .tsv I made from CD1 of a film with the .tsv I made from CD2. The media files were fine in the same folder, since they were named differently due to my using the episode # setting to reflect the CD1 and CD2.

I guess I could make it an option. But as a workaround, since the .tsv file is the first thing generated, when you mistakenly overwrite a .tsv file, you can just click the Go! button, wait a second, and cancel. The .tsv file will be left behind and you don't have to wait for all the audio clips/video clips/snapshots to finish. Also, currently lines are only appended to the .tsv files in batch mode.

Reply #761 - 2011 July 07, 8:17 pm
nest0r
Website

I think the AegisSub thing is tied to my openGL support getting screwed when I tried to update my drivers (I tried to be clever and use some bleeding edge drivers). I put things back the way they were but it no longer works properly for certain programs (only two so far have failed me).

Also: Batch support! Ah. I never used that before. ;p How does it handle CD/episode numbering, when you have wildcards and stuff? Does it do a simple +1 type thing?

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 07, 8:18 pm)

Reply #762 - 2011 July 07, 8:25 pm
cb4960

nest0r wrote:

Also: Batch support! Ah. I never used that before. ;p How does it handle CD/episode numbering, when you have wildcards and stuff? Does it do a simple +1 type thing?

Yes. It starts at the number you enter and then adds one for each new set of inputs.

Reply #763 - 2011 July 07, 8:27 pm
nest0r
Website

Cool.

By the way, here's the file in question that gave me problems, if you want to experiment:

http://tinyurl.com/rwvzr212 (What if that were an ugly sn.im URL? That would be awful.)

Other stuff came from kitsunekko.

Reply #764 - 2011 July 07, 8:33 pm
cb4960

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Reply #765 - 2011 July 07, 11:54 pm
nest0r
Website

By the way, I'm still getting the problem with the subs for the above movie, where the Japanese subtitles are piled onto one line (like several are piled into one);  I end up with a .tsv where it'll say: “開いてる こんばんは 相変わらずけだるそうだな ... そう言う” etc. in one field, then “It's open.” in the other.

I tried going into settings (couldn't find it in the GUI ;p) and disabling fix mismatched lines, and that fixed the Japanese subtitles being conflated, but the preview showed the English lines were duplicated like 5-10 times apiece.

I also noticed that even though it's not included in the span I set, the preview shows lines in the English section prior to the onset of the span's opening. (Like I have the span set to 1:30 or so, and it's showing a line from ~40s in the preview, active.)

Also, wow, it's so awkward trying to import .tsvs into Anki. I'm not used to having to manually import cards now. ^_^

Edit: Trying it with the version of the movie above that I couldn't get to work in terms of its audio stream, when I use the English subs that match that version, it's fine in the preview. Too bad that version won't encode. I guess I can try reencoding in Audacity first?

Edit 2: Ahha! I see the previously mentioned version matches perfectly with a raw version's jp subs, so I'll see about finding a copy of that...

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 08, 12:15 am)

Reply #766 - 2011 July 08, 12:37 am
cb4960

I had the opportunity to perform a very quick test. I tried the [skyplace] subs and those seem to work OK. Just make sure that you're not using the [lac_tms] subs because those contain both Chinese and Japanese at the same time. Will perform a more thorough analysis tomorrow.

Edit: Oh, and the span works properly for me as well. Does it parse correctly if you just use the Japanese subtitles for subs1 and leave subs2 blank? If so, the Japanese and English might be so massively out of sync as to confuse poor subs2srs.

Last edited by cb4960 (2011 July 08, 12:43 am)

Reply #767 - 2011 July 08, 1:07 am
nest0r
Website

The problems I had were with the TakaJun version, with its English subs and the Skyplace Japanese subs (using the English subs 2 timing). The fix mismatched messed up the line placement for the Japanese, I think, and the two extra lines from the TakaJun English subtitles messed up the span so that in the preview the early lines showed up activated. When I switched to Shinsen + Skyplace, it all fell into place, but subs2srs won't process that version's audio, and I couldn't find a Skyplace version, so I found a 100mb version with hardcoded Spanish subs that was 3 seconds off (its length vs. Skyplace/Shinsen subs), and cropped (with my 70px standard)/post-shifted that (by 3000ms), and now I have a good deck. ^_^ Thanks for reading! ^_^ I normally would've just moved on, but I became obsessed.

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 08, 1:12 am)

Reply #768 - 2011 July 08, 7:59 am
nest0r
Website

By the way, this has reminded me how complicated it can be to weave all this stuff together, re: video, audio, subtitles, images, encodings, multiple versions, etc. And you made it all mostly automatic. Very impressive stuff!

Also, what do you think about tags for when iPod Support's enabled?

Reply #769 - 2011 July 08, 9:42 am
cb4960

nest0r wrote:

By the way, this has reminded me how complicated it can be to weave all this stuff together, re: video, audio, subtitles, images, encodings, multiple versions, etc. And you made it all mostly automatic. Very impressive stuff!

I didn't know that the .mp4 file format supported tags. I'll look into it.

Reply #770 - 2011 July 08, 10:06 am
nest0r
Website

cb4960 wrote:

nest0r wrote:

I just meant for the output .tsv. ^_^ Or perhaps tagging options in general? Or have we discussed that before.

Reply #771 - 2011 July 08, 1:33 pm
cb4960

nest0r wrote:

cb4960 wrote:

nest0r wrote:

I just meant for the output .tsv. ^_^ Or perhaps tagging options in general? Or have we discussed that before.

Ah, I see. Currently the tag is the first field of the .tsv file and is in the format "NameOfDeck_EpisodeNumber". You can change the format by editing settings.txt and modifying the "srs_tag_format" setting. But I suppose a GUI option might be better.

Reply #772 - 2011 July 08, 3:09 pm
nest0r
Website

Yeah, dynamically creating tags for a given deck was what I was thinking; it's a low priority request, but I thought it'd be handy for when you're making multiple decks or taking your time going through the laborious manual import process and lose track of stuff before adding tags through Anki.

A GUI for the settings.txt would be interesting also. ‘Advanced startup options’ or somesuch.

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 08, 3:11 pm)

Reply #773 - 2011 July 10, 2:14 pm
cb4960

Hello,

I have just released version 23.3 of subs2srs.

Download subs2srs v23.3 via SourceForge

● Bug Fix: The video extension was not appended to the video field in the .tsv import file.

cb4960

Reply #774 - 2011 July 10, 5:00 pm
nest0r
Website

Cool, I wasn't sure if you wanted us to add the suffix ourselves or not. Speaking of which, can I just overwrite this new version's settings.txt with the previous version's?

Also, is there any reason you can think of that I shouldn't just make everything iPod ready?

Last edited by nest0r (2011 July 10, 5:02 pm)

Reply #775 - 2011 July 10, 5:45 pm
cb4960

nest0r wrote:

Cool, I wasn't sure if you wanted us to add the suffix ourselves or not. Speaking of which, can I just overwrite this new version's settings.txt with the previous version's?

Nothing changed in the latest version's settings.txt so you can safely overwrite it with the previous version's settings.txt file.

nest0r wrote:

Also, is there any reason you can think of that I shouldn't just make everything iPod ready?

It should mostly be okay, but when cutting an .mp4, ffmpeg will make the cut ~0.5 seconds before it should. And with h.264, ffmpeg only cuts on the last keyframe. So if you notice the video files that subs2srs generates starting a little early, you might be able to help the situation a little by using a negative number in the Start field of the Video Clip's Pad Timings option.