Change keyword feature not working for non-RTK character

Index » Feedback

Reply #1 - 2011 March 08, 5:10 am
algarich

Hi,

I can't seem to change they keyword of non-RTK unicode characters such as http://kanji.koohii.com/study/kanji/28088, so I'm just wondering whether it's a problem with my PC or the website. If I click on the keyword, the usual black box pops up, but the text inside does not appear for some reason. It works fine on RTK characters. If it's relevant, the request to /study/editkeyword returns 500 Internal Server Error with "Bad request." in the "RTK-Error" response header.

Regards,
algarich

Reply #2 - 2011 March 08, 5:41 am
EratiK

True.
I think it's because it isn't in your RevTK deck yet (or does it even matter?)
but when I go to manage flashcards, add kanji
custom selection (because this kanji doesn't have an RTK index number )
and copy paste the kanji it reads:
"cannot add non Heisig kanji,
invalid selection".

Is that normal?
Has anyone dealt with the supplement yet? Because I remember there is like 20 so kanji from the supplement that aren't in RTK3 either, so has anyone added those ones yet? and customed them?
Thanks for any input.

Last edited by EratiK (2011 March 08, 5:44 am)

Reply #3 - 2011 March 08, 7:54 am
vonPeterhof

The kanji from the supplement work just fine, both addition and customization-wise. I think Fabrice mentioned somewhere that he assigned them provisional RtK numbers 3008-3030, until they get official numbers when a new edition of RtK comes out.

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101
Sponsor

Reply #4 - 2011 March 08, 8:46 am
ファブリス
Administrator
Website

You should be able to customize the keyword for RTK Supplement kanji, also known as frame numbers 3008-3030 (EDIT: thanks vonPeterhof). I'm going to add a note on the Manage screen to document this, my bad.

Flashcards and Custom Keywords can be used only with RTK characters.

This is intentional. I want to add a subscription plan before the end of this year, so that users have an incentive to support the site financially. Think "RTK Plus" or something. Opening up all CJK characters in the Study area, flashcards and custom keywords will be one benefit of said subscription.

The crux of the matter here is that I can't add something for free that I plan to add to a paid subscription later. It will almost certainly frustrate users and generate a negative backlash. It's got to do with people's expectations about "free" (an often mis-used word), and how users value something they already get for free. It's a constant I think for all online services, and has nothing to do with RevTK in particular.

bladethecoder

Opening up all CJK characters in the Study area, flashcards and custom keywords will be one benefit of said subscription.

This made me wonder about "Reviewing the Hanzi" being a separate system. I can see there are issues with one codepoint representing more than one character variant depending on the language; but on the other hand there is a lot of overlap/duplication.

ファブリス
Administrator
Website

You're right. I'm still not 100% sure how best to deal with RTH/RSH, let alone the kanji/hanzi overlap.

For now what I meant by opening the CJK, is to let RevTK users add any kanji they like, and RevTH users add any hanzi. In other words, add characters outside of the "general use" selection that more or less matches the ones in the Heisig books.

One issue with having a single site is the identity of the service in the mind of users. I could use different landing pages to address that. Well... I'll have to think about it more.

I have to refactor various parts of the code to support Japanese and Chinese in one codebase, so I can go ahead with that even if I'm not 100% sure yet if having two websites is the best solution.

Reply #7 - 2011 March 08, 3:56 pm
bladethecoder

I see, thanks for explaining smile

Reply #8 - 2011 March 09, 2:01 pm
algarich

Okay faburisu, thanks for clearing that up. I just thought it was supposed to work since I could click it :-)

Guess I'm back to making paper flashcards then... *sigh*

dannyboy4885

Hi Fabrice,

I realise it's been a while since this thread was started, but I was wondering whether you'd had a chance to work on a function to make it possible to change the keyword / add non-RTK kanji for use in review mode?

I'm really grateful for your efforts on this site - since I started using it (particularly once I started adding cards for review), my progress has sped up by leaps and bounds. Therefore, I'm hoping to be able to continue using this site to learn new kanji once I've reached the RTK 3030.

Otherwise, do you (or anyone else) have any recommendations about how to continue reviewing non-RTK kanji alongside RTK once the initial 3030 have been reached? I've heard anki can be used, but I'll miss the shared stories that even exist on this site for non-RTK kanji. I guess that would also leave me divided between two sites, unless I moved everything to one place? Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks!

Last edited by dannyboy4885 (2012 October 13, 2:43 pm)

Reply #10 - 2012 October 13, 2:58 pm
ファブリス
Administrator
Website

I'm planning some kind of subscription for extended features, including full support for non RTK kanji. This is still 3-6 months away.

AFAIK, there are a few RTK decks for Anki and they usually have some kind of clickable link that takes you to this site's Study pages. Maybe someone can post the links to the relevant threads.

Reply #11 - 2012 October 13, 3:11 pm
dannyboy4885

Thanks for the quick response! I'll look forward to that then! Depending on the features, cost, etc., it's something I'd be very much interested in! In the meantime I'll check out Anki, since I also want to start looking into reviewing vocab, etc. I'm still a way off completing the RTK kanji, but this site has made learning kanji easy and fun, so I'm looking ahead into the future!

Btw, when you do implement the extended feature for non-RTK kanji, have you considered having an option to vote for the best user generated keywords? Thought it would be a nice touch if the community can agree on the best keyword meaning for each new kanji. Although, I suppose there's a danger of keywords being repeated between kanji without a single person responsible for assigning unique meanings. Still, maybe something to consider.

Thanks again!

Reply #12 - 2012 October 14, 6:26 am
amillerchip
Website

If it helps, this is my Anki Question template for RTK. For each character it links to that character's story page on this site, a couple of useful links to Jisho.org, and a link to Kanjidamage. That way, you can use Anki for the keyword, but if you need to view mnemonics, you can click the links. I also find the jisho.org links really useful for looking at example words containing that kanji.

<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 20px; color: #000000; white-space: pre-wrap;">{{{Keyword}}}<br /><br /></span>
<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 12px; color: #000000; white-space: pre-wrap;">[<a href="http://kanji.koohii.com/study/kanji/{{text:Kanji}}">koohii</a> | <a href="http://jisho.org/kanji/details/{{text:Kanji}}">jisho</a> (<a href=http://jisho.org/words?jap=*{{text:Kanji}}*&eng=&dict=edict&tag=&sortorder=relevance">words</a>) | <a href="http://kanjidamage.com/kanji/search?q={{text:Kanji}}">damage</a>]</span>

Last edited by amillerchip (2012 October 14, 6:27 am)

Reply #13 - 2012 October 14, 7:35 am
dannyboy4885

@amillerchip Thanks for this! It looks really helpful, I'll definitely try it out. smile