3DS is looking good for furigana

Index » General discussion

Hashiriya

I have been watching some of the videos lately for the Nintendo 3DS coming out next month in Japan. I've already noticed 2 games that appear to be fully in furigana including Zelda: Ocarina of Time remake and レイトン教授と奇跡の仮面.

I hope they continue this trend in the future smile Anybody else getting the 3DS?

Hashiriya

just found out online that the 3DS is going to be region locked... that's gonna suck... i'm still getting a Japanese one though. here is the article: http://kotaku.com/5730442/the-3ds-has-an-iron-curtain

wccrawford

Yeah, I 'pre-ordered' my Japanese 3ds back in September.  I can't pre-order Layton yet, or I'd do that, too.  I think I'm ready to try tackling that one in the original Japanese, even though that scares me a bit.  Okay, more than a bit.  I really should try some of the existing JP Laytons to see how they are.

Sadly, Layton is the only launch title I care about at all.  I'm hoping for some good downloads.

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101
Sponsor

Mcjon01

Ah, man, I was hoping I could buy it in America and just import the games.  Now I have to import the console too?  I can see my money fluttering away...

Well, at least I'll get it a little earlier.  And the inability to play English games won't be that big of a handicap, since I don't really do that anyway. tongue

wccrawford

Mcjon01 wrote:

Ah, man, I was hoping I could buy it in America and just import the games.  Now I have to import the console too?  I can see my money fluttering away...

Well, at least I'll get it a little earlier.  And the inability to play English games won't be that big of a handicap, since I don't really do that anyway. tongue

I'm still a little upset about getting burned by the DSi.  I imported the JP one and there was exactly 1 game that was really worthwhile for me that I couldn't already play on my DS. 

I'm preordering a 3DS because I think there will be more games...  But if there isn't, I'm going to be very upset.

Mcjon01

Yeah, they never really did anything special with the last couple of DS revisions, did they?  It almost seems like they were just testing out ideas to implement in the 3DS.  Hopefully 3DS Ware ends up having programs that are actually worth it; DSi Ware is pretty much all just crap.

wishroom

I'm probably going to import one as well.  Not sure if it's possible, but I'm just hoping the regular DS games remain region free.  Reason being, my Navy imported DSlite has a slight sunken in touch screen and I'm too spoiled to go back to the phat...lol.

wccrawford

As far as I know, the old DS games never had any region information at all, so there'd be no way to region-lock them.  If it plays the old games (and I'm pretty sure it will) then they'll still all work fine.

wishroom

That's good to hear, thanks for the prompt response.

I've been interested in Layton for a long time but never played them.  I'd like to import them, but one of them is listed as "Friendly version".  Anyone know what the difference is in those?

Makes you wonder how many reservations at playasia have been canceled due to the news of it being region locked now.

Last edited by wishroom (2011 January 12, 10:24 am)

wccrawford

wishroom wrote:

That's good to hear, thanks for the prompt response.

I've been interested in Layton for a long time but never played them.  I'd like to import them, but one of them is listed as "Friendly version".  Anyone know what the difference is in those?

Makes you wonder how many reservations at playasia have been canceled due to the news of it being region locked now.

It has furigana in addition to the kanji.  (At least, if I'm reading the web right, it has both.  I don't think it's just kana.)

gyuujuice

I'm going to make my imported DSi last longer before I import. But I will import though.

BTW, won't there be problems with 3DS software downloads? I heard that there is going to be a radio and 3D movies for free for the first few months. I wonder if you could use it in America. :\

mentat_kgs
Website

Well, even the "mighty" PS3 was hacked now, so region lock won't be a problem for a long time.

wccrawford

gyuujuice wrote:

I'm going to make my imported DSi last longer before I import. But I will import though.

BTW, won't there be problems with 3DS software downloads? I heard that there is going to be a radio and 3D movies for free for the first few months. I wonder if you could use it in America. :\

My experience with movies is that they are VERY careful to prevent people outside Japan from getting them.  On the PS3 store, when you go to the video area, it's just empty.

Games, however, are usually available.  I've only had a few things not exist when I think they should.  I've certainly never had any problems with the DSiWare store.

Reply #14 - 2011 January 19, 1:12 pm
wishroom

Alright, thanks again wccrawford.

Just noticed ncsx has the 3DS listed for $460.  Think I'll be waiting for the demand to die down a little before I import.

~Forgot to post the link earlier...

http://www.ncsx.com/2011/011711/ncs0117w.htm

Last edited by wishroom (2011 January 19, 7:33 pm)

Reply #15 - 2011 January 19, 2:58 pm
TheVinster

:\

3DS... no to that.

Reply #16 - 2011 January 19, 3:19 pm
Mcjon01

Well, now I wish that Play-Asia would list a price.  I mean, I figured there'd be a fairly big premium over buying local, but that kind of gouging is ridiculous.

Reply #17 - 2011 January 19, 3:40 pm
Zarxrax

The region lock stuff just sucks. I'll be buying an American console and waiting for it to get hacked so I can run import stuff. I doubt it will take more than 1 or 2 years.
The 3ds has a higher resolution screen than the normal ds, so this should make it easier for developers to use furigana.

Reply #18 - 2011 January 19, 4:16 pm
chamcham

Whiterabbitpress.com has a custom order service for japanese goods from japan.
They order whatever you want and charge 5% of the total price plus shipping.

I've ordered from them twice. Once for $200 worth of CDs.
And also for an electronic dictionary.

Shipping for the dictionary was $25 for airmail.

Much better than the $460 ncsx is charging......
I would suggest asking if they can do 3DS preorders.

Last edited by chamcham (2011 January 19, 4:22 pm)

Reply #19 - 2011 January 19, 4:23 pm
wccrawford

Tenso.com is another re-shipper.  You ship to them, they repackage (optional, in case you have multiple packages) and reship to you.  They charge you a fee for the handling, and the postage.

It tends to be expensive, but it's probably as fair as it gets.

For instance, I ordered 2 keyboards for $15 each, then paid Amazon $10 to ship them to Tenso.  Tenso charged me $10 handling fee and $55 shipping to the US.  (All prices are approximate, since they were actually in Yen.)

Reply #20 - 2011 January 19, 4:26 pm
Hashiriya

I am hoping they hack this thing ASAP as well. I still would prefer to import mine though because I would like to be able to get stuff through the Japanese store while I wait.

Reply #21 - 2011 January 19, 6:52 pm
Gingerninja

The region lock is down to the developer, so what may happen is the 3rd party developers just ignore it for the sake of the import market (Loads of obscure games make more money from import than home sales) and maybe only nintendo and the store itself will use it.  That was the case with the DSI.. it's region locked too, but only for store and software.. pokemon black be damned >_<

Anyway.  I'm going to be returning to Japan from my months holiday home 2-3 weeks before the UK launch, so I'm going to pick up a Japanese console anyway, tbh street fighter 4 and winning eleven can be played regardless of language, and hopefully by the time I return home I'll be at the stage I can read most of the games I buy's dialogue anyway.   I'll prob wait till they release an updated one where the battery life doesn't suck shit to buy an English one.   The games are worldwide multiplayer anyway, so playing against friends shouldn't be an issue regardless of where the console is native to.

Last edited by Gingerninja (2011 January 19, 6:53 pm)