Where do you get your subtitles for anime (英 + 日)

Index » Learning resources

 
Womacks23
Member
From: 恵比寿
Registered: 2008-01-10
Posts: 595

I know the drama site. Where do you find the anime shows?

shirokuro
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2009-10-13
Posts: 193
hereticalrants
Member
From: Winterland
Registered: 2009-10-23
Posts: 289

I knew that site, but this "drama site" you speak of intrigues me

Last edited by hereticalrants (2010 September 18, 9:49 pm)

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101
Sponsor
 
howtwosavealif3
Member
From: USA
Registered: 2008-02-09
Posts: 880
Website

i mean if worst comes to worst and it's not on that site or animetranscripts etc, you can just directly look up the line you might some japanese blogger/website that transcribes all the lines or most of the lines or half the lines or the interesting lines, etc
google search
"the line that you heard" name of the anime

the "" makes it so you find that word for word.
obviously don't choose ohayo gozaimasu or some other ridiculous common line.

Burritolingus
Member
From: United States of America Inc.
Registered: 2008-10-09
Posts: 216
Website

http://www1.atwiki.com/animetranscripts/ is a nice little resource, though it's mostly made up of Japanese users learning English via anime dubs (those poor, poor souls!). Still, there's some good stuff in there for learners of Japanese, if a little limited.

Coulda sworn I had another link or two, but no dice... In general, finding anime subs seems to be a heck of a lot harder than finding drama subs. Considering the popularity of anime, I'd think J-subs would be the more plentiful resource, but apparently this isn't the case (or I'm looking in the wrong places).

hereticalrants wrote:

I knew that site, but this "drama site" you speak of intregues me

This one, perhaps? http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php#Japanese

Amset
Member
Registered: 2008-09-07
Posts: 94

These are the sites I have bookmarked for anime subs:

http://project-modelino.com/japanese-movies.htm
http://www.geocities.jp/ohmu2rko/index.html
http://kitsunekko.net/subtitles/japanese/
http://www1.atwiki.com/animetranscripts/
http://akusento.narod.ru/jimaku_en.htm

I found most (all?) of them via other threads on this forum. If anyone knows some more that'd be good.

Drama Note is good for drama.

ocircle
Member
Registered: 2009-08-19
Posts: 333
Website

Well duh, you can find anime shows on TV!

Ah, another problem solved!

nest0r
Member
Registered: 2007-10-19
Posts: 5236
Website
Reply #9 - 2010 April 15, 5:39 am
thurd
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-04-07
Posts: 756

I've used sources proposed here to locate subtitles for Hikaru No Go but found nothing. Through google I located a set for episode 1-22 on some guys blog but they are not very good. Transcription is quite accurate when it was done but there are lots of dialogs that are missing (sometimes even simple ones that even I can understand) which makes me question overall quality of his work.

I'm guessing DVDs in Japan have Japanese subtitles (hearing impaired), why can't I just locate them? Google doesn't help either.

Reply #10 - 2010 April 15, 6:19 am
Womacks23
Member
From: 恵比寿
Registered: 2008-01-10
Posts: 595

thurd wrote:

I'm guessing DVDs in Japan have Japanese subtitles (hearing impaired), why can't I just locate them? Google doesn't help either.

The problem is that most DVDs don't have subtitles.

Reply #11 - 2010 April 15, 6:37 am
Asriel
Member
From: 東京
Registered: 2008-02-26
Posts: 1343

I was going to start up a Anime/Movie Vobsub site, but it's true...so far, none of the DVDs I've rented (apart from American movies) have had Japanese subs.

Reply #12 - 2010 April 15, 1:35 pm
nest0r
Member
Registered: 2007-10-19
Posts: 5236
Website

My impression is that most Japanese DVDs have Japanese subtitles. Just looking at Yesasia, as well as the number of Japanese vobsubs you can find online: http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?pid=94998 (That's just the tip of the iceberg, methinks.)

Last edited by nest0r (2010 April 15, 1:36 pm)

Reply #13 - 2010 April 15, 2:58 pm
ta12121
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2009-06-02
Posts: 3190

From what I know, movies/drama's have Japanese subtitles(most of them I think). As for anime subtitles, i'm not sure why they don't subtitle it in japanese.

Reply #14 - 2010 April 15, 3:12 pm
thurd
Member
From: Poland
Registered: 2009-04-07
Posts: 756

ta12121 wrote:

From what I know, movies/drama's have Japanese subtitles(most of them I think). As for anime subtitles, i'm not sure why they don't subtitle it in japanese.

Thats really weird, so deaf kids get the short end of the stick? But it would explain why all these subtitle efforts are out there and since subtitling Japanese anime in Japanese is a niche market it drowns in the sea of English, French and Spanish subs.

I guess I need to work on dramas, just got Tokyo Dogs (seemed like something I could watch). I'm worried its to quick for me, I still don't get a LOT of things in anime and dramas are targeted at much older audience.

Reply #15 - 2010 April 20, 8:54 am
pharaun
Member
From: Boston
Registered: 2010-03-02
Posts: 23

thurd wrote:

ta12121 wrote:

From what I know, movies/drama's have Japanese subtitles(most of them I think). As for anime subtitles, i'm not sure why they don't subtitle it in japanese.

Thats really weird, so deaf kids get the short end of the stick? But it would explain why all these subtitle efforts are out there and since subtitling Japanese anime in Japanese is a niche market it drowns in the sea of English, French and Spanish subs.

This part makes me grumble quite often.

Reply #16 - 2010 April 20, 11:11 am
kerosan41
Member
From: 青森県
Registered: 2007-11-23
Posts: 143
Website

In my experience of buying DVDs in Japan, most all of them have subtitles. The problem is these subs aren't even close to what the people are saying on screen. Its all simplified. Even on the blu-ray discs I have, which sometimes have subs for several languages, the Japanese subs aren't exact.

I guess what they are actually saying would take too much space up on screen (and take too long to read).

The only DVDs that I've noticed with exact subs are Ghibli Premium releases. My Howls moving castle collectors set has exact subs. Love it.

Reply #17 - 2010 April 20, 12:59 pm
ta12121
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2009-06-02
Posts: 3190

kerosan41 wrote:

In my experience of buying DVDs in Japan, most all of them have subtitles. The problem is these subs aren't even close to what the people are saying on screen. Its all simplified. Even on the blu-ray discs I have, which sometimes have subs for several languages, the Japanese subs aren't exact.

I guess what they are actually saying would take too much space up on screen (and take too long to read).

The only DVDs that I've noticed with exact subs are Ghibli Premium releases. My Howls moving castle collectors set has exact subs. Love it.

I heard about this too. For some reason, some of the subtitles are just summaries of what's being said.

Reply #18 - 2010 April 20, 2:28 pm
Blahah
Member
From: Cambridge, UK
Registered: 2008-07-15
Posts: 715
Website

ta12121 wrote:

I heard about this too. For some reason, some of the subtitles are just summaries of what's being said.

This is the same with english subtitles on english shows. If they wrote everything that was said, at the speed it would said, most people wouldn't be able to read it quick enough. Some shows on TV try to do this, and the whole screen gets filled up with subtitles. For the sake of deaf people trying to actually watch the show, they limit subs to 3 lines and summarise what's being said.

Reply #19 - 2010 April 20, 2:52 pm
ta12121
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2009-06-02
Posts: 3190

Blahah wrote:

ta12121 wrote:

I heard about this too. For some reason, some of the subtitles are just summaries of what's being said.

This is the same with english subtitles on english shows. If they wrote everything that was said, at the speed it would said, most people wouldn't be able to read it quick enough. Some shows on TV try to do this, and the whole screen gets filled up with subtitles. For the sake of deaf people trying to actually watch the show, they limit subs to 3 lines and summarise what's being said.

That's true as well. But a lot of people tend to use the japanese subtitles to help them better to understand what's being said in Japanese. But like you said, they summarize it so it's still a good tool to use none the less. But nowadays  what I'm doing is getting into the habit of reading+reading+ more reading as it will help my other skills in japanese grow more.

Reply #20 - 2010 April 20, 2:55 pm
nest0r
Member
Registered: 2007-10-19
Posts: 5236
Website

kerosan41 wrote:

In my experience of buying DVDs in Japan, most all of them have subtitles. The problem is these subs aren't even close to what the people are saying on screen. Its all simplified. Even on the blu-ray discs I have, which sometimes have subs for several languages, the Japanese subs aren't exact.

I guess what they are actually saying would take too much space up on screen (and take too long to read).

The only DVDs that I've noticed with exact subs are Ghibli Premium releases. My Howls moving castle collectors set has exact subs. Love it.

I've never seen this before, but you seem to be saying they're all like this? 100% of the Japanese subtitles ripped from DVD I've seen have been exact, so it's a bit surprising to me that more than a small number overall aren't exact, much less most or all...

Last edited by nest0r (2010 April 20, 2:56 pm)

Reply #21 - 2010 April 20, 3:38 pm
PrivateLaughter
New member
From: Germany
Registered: 2010-03-27
Posts: 4

I'm new here but I just wanted to say that the japanese subtitles from my Japanese (South Park and Pretty Woman) DVDs are not exact, too.
That's why I started to search for exact subtitles only on the internet. Don't want to be disappointed again after buying something.

Reply #22 - 2010 April 20, 4:23 pm
ta12121
Member
From: Canada
Registered: 2009-06-02
Posts: 3190

PrivateLaughter wrote:

I'm new here but I just wanted to say that the japanese subtitles from my Japanese (South Park and Pretty Woman) DVDs are not exact, too.
That's why I started to search for exact subtitles only on the internet. Don't want to be disappointed again after buying something.

Same here, want to buy something that has exact subtitles. Although I'm at the level where I can understand Japanese even without subtitles.

Reply #23 - 2010 April 20, 5:18 pm
nest0r
Member
Registered: 2007-10-19
Posts: 5236
Website

That's really weird. Are they all Japanese-dubbed films that you're buying that don't have exact subs? I can't imagine the proportion of non-exact subtitles is very high compared to exact subs. At any rate, there's so many Japanese subtitles online... it's just hard for me to imagine the bazillion of exact Japanese vobsubs ripped from DVDs (the ones I posted here are just a portion of what's out there) is actually representative of the smallest portion of subs, and that most of them are non-exact.

Last edited by nest0r (2010 April 20, 5:22 pm)

Reply #24 - 2010 April 20, 6:08 pm
magamo
Member
From: Pasadena, CA
Registered: 2009-05-29
Posts: 1039

This site has a huge list of DVDs/Blu-rays having Japanese subtitles:
http://web-shake.jp/01/

Click 日本語字幕入DVD情報 on the left menu and choose a subcategory. For example, if you want to check anime whose names start with either あ, い, う, え, お, か, き, く, け, or こ, choose 字幕入DVD アニメ あ・か行:
http://web-shake.jp/01/modules/tinyd10/index.php?id=11
If it's listed, it has a subtitle. Clicking each title takes you to the product page on amazon.co.jp. I don't know which shows have the exact subs, but I think even a shortened sub is better than nothing. Note that the list might not take into account if there are multiple versions for the same title. For example, if you get a cheaper edition instead of the one linked from the list, it might not have a Japanese subtitle.

It seems a lot of anime have subs when broadcast on the major channels. But apparently subs are rare on DVD. If you want an exact sub for an obscure anime, maybe you're pretty much out of luck.

If you want to use subs to learn Japanese, you can ask native speakers to transcribe your favorite shows here:
http://llt-anime.net63.net/index.php
This forum is mainly for anime, but here is my thread about non-anime transcription:
http://llt-anime.net63.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=137
It seems non-anime shows are also welcome. If someone take the job, your transcript will be uploaded on its wiki:
http://www1.atwiki.com/animetranscripts/
If you want to use it for subs2srs, I guess it's not very difficult to time a transcript to get a sub.

The forum was originally a 2ch thread about transcribing English anime dubs, so ideally it's best if you try to transcribe your favorite show for yourself, have native speakers correct it and ask questions about grammar, idioms, cultural references, etc. But as long as you can contribute to the forum and/or its wiki by answering questions about your mother tongue, correcting uploaded transcripts, or uploading transcripts/subs in your mother tongue, I think it's all right to ask for transcripts over there. I think you can probably get a transcript if you pick a show popular with bilinguals and English language learners in Japan.

Last edited by magamo (2010 April 20, 6:10 pm)

Reply #25 - 2010 April 20, 8:30 pm
kerosan41
Member
From: 青森県
Registered: 2007-11-23
Posts: 143
Website

nest0r wrote:

That's really weird. Are they all Japanese-dubbed films that you're buying that don't have exact subs? I can't imagine the proportion of non-exact subtitles is very high compared to exact subs. At any rate, there's so many Japanese subtitles online... it's just hard for me to imagine the bazillion of exact Japanese vobsubs ripped from DVDs (the ones I posted here are just a portion of what's out there) is actually representative of the smallest portion of subs, and that most of them are non-exact.

Most of them are Japanese dubs because original Japanese productions tend to be cost prohibitive. I've never bought or rented a dubbed film with exact subs and I've only purchased one Japanese original that had exact subs. It was the collectors edition, which made it cost 8k yen.  The portion of non exact subs vastly outnumbers the amount of films with exact.