Japanese Sentence Patterns for Effective Communication.

Index » Group study

Reply #26 - 2009 April 13, 11:59 pm
Wally Member

fluxcapacitor wrote:

Anki can't import Excel files, so you need to copy and paste all the lines from Excel (except for the headings) into Notepad. Save the file as UTF-8 and import that file into Anki.

If you're importing into a Japanese model Anki deck, set field 5 = expression, field 6 = reading, and field 7 = meaning.

If you want to import any extra fields (Chapter, Pattern, Page, Type) you have to edit your model in Anki.

Oh, goody!  That seems to have worked.  And I frame 465 the others who have offered kudos.

Reply #27 - 2009 April 14, 7:14 am
BigAmish Member

@fluxcapacitor

You, sir, are a saint.

I just bought this book last month & only now stumbled across this thread.  The Excel File will make an excellent addition to the Anki grammar-specific deck I am planning on starting this summer.

Reply #28 - 2009 April 15, 4:01 pm
mafried Member

Using the spreadsheet provided by fluxcapacitor, I've generated text-to-speech audio for every sentence in the book using the Misaki voice:

JSPfEC.zip

EDIT: Distribution updated to fixes as of 4 Jul. 2009.  I've also removed the .tsv file for now, as I do not believe it is in line with the new forum rules for sharing of copyrighted works.

To create the audio files I had to simplify the sentences from those which were provided in the book.  For example, most sentences were given in both plain and polite forms, and optional words/phrases enclosed in parenthesis.  For each such sentence I made it either plain or polite (trying to keep an even distribution of each) and used my best judgment to decide whether or not to include the optional phrases.  For example, the following sentence

株を買う(の)なら、今がいい時期だ/です。

became

株を買うなら、今がいい時期だ。

Buyer beware: I'm sure that in doing so I made a few mistakes here and there, plus there may be some left-over transcription errors from fluxcapacitor's work (1000+ sentences is a lot to type up without any errors after all).  And the Misaki voice, although good, does make mistakes from time to time, and I don't have time to check all of the generated files.  So please post any typos/incorrect reading errors if you find them, and I'll update the distribution.

Last edited by mafried (2009 July 04, 1:53 pm)

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101 Sponsor

Reply #29 - 2009 April 17, 12:26 pm
ahibba Member

nice job, mafried! With your audio, the work is almost complete.

fluxcapacitor, you're amazing!

Reply #30 - 2009 April 19, 4:03 am
MeNoSavvy Member

Thanks Fluxcapacitor, I appreciate your efforts. This is a great book, but I was too lazy to type in the sentences myself. I hope other people also follow your example, and share the materials they have mined.

Reply #31 - 2009 May 09, 1:10 pm
cm2jr4 Member

wow, this is very nice, i was just wondering, how much grammar this covers?
like is this all basic grammar? some intermediate? like, after finishing these sentences or this book, what is the next best step in grammar?

Reply #32 - 2009 May 09, 2:57 pm
activeaero Member

cm2jr4 wrote:

wow, this is very nice, i was just wondering, how much grammar this covers?
like is this all basic grammar? some intermediate? like, after finishing these sentences or this book, what is the next best step in grammar?

I think it covers most of the JLPT3 level grammar, if I'm not mistaken.

Reply #33 - 2009 May 28, 9:16 pm
fluxcapacitor Member

I've finally reviewed every sentence of JSPEC at least once. I was doing 20 new sentences per day, and checking them for errors as I went along. I found and fixed 13 errors in the spreadsheet. Hopefully there aren't any more, but I might have missed some.

Here are the kanji stats:

The 1129 seen cards in this deck contain:
710 total unique kanji.
Jouyou: 696 of 1945 (35.8%).
Jinmeiyou: 9 of 287 (3.1%).
5 non-jouyou kanji.
Jouyou levels:
Grade 1: 63  of 80  (78.8%).
Grade 2: 140 of 160 (87.5%).
Grade 3: 138 of 200 (69.0%).
Grade 4: 99  of 200 (49.5%).
Grade 5: 64  of 185 (34.6%).
Grade 6: 65  of 181 (35.9%).
JuniorHS: 127 of 939 (13.5%)

Last edited by fluxcapacitor (2009 May 28, 9:24 pm)

Reply #34 - 2009 July 03, 10:10 pm
elhnad Member

Hi can somebody reupload this list please? I'm super excited to automate this study in anki.
Thanks!

Reply #35 - 2009 July 04, 2:43 am
fluxcapacitor Member

The link in the original post still works...

Reply #36 - 2009 July 04, 5:21 am
mafried Member

fluxcapacitor, I'm curious.  How would you rate your Japanese ability as a result of finishing JSPfEC?

Reply #37 - 2009 July 04, 5:39 am
Nii87 Member

The vocab in JSPEC gave me a lot of difficulty. I did it for awhile and decided to drop it and focus on KO2001 first.

Reply #38 - 2009 July 04, 6:05 am
strugglebunny Member
From: Okachimachi Registered: 2007-11-10 Posts: 139 Website

mafried wrote:

Using the spreadsheet provided by fluxcapacitor, I've generated text-to-speech audio for every sentence in the book using the Misaki voice:

JSPfEC.zip

EDIT: Distribution updated to include fixes (#253 and #312)

To create the audio files I had to simplify the sentences from those which were provided in the book.  For example, most sentences were given in both plain and polite forms, and optional words/phrases enclosed in parenthesis.  For each such sentence I made it either plain or polite (trying to keep an even distribution of each) and used my best judgment to decide whether or not to include the optional phrases.  For example, the following sentence

株を買う(の)なら、今がいい時期だ/です。

became

株を買うなら、今がいい時期だ。

Buyer beware: I'm sure that in doing so I made a few mistakes here and there, plus there may be some left-over transcription errors from fluxcapacitor's work (1000+ sentences is a lot to type up without any errors after all).  And the Misaki voice, although good, does make mistakes from time to time, and I don't have time to check all of the generated files.  So please post any typos/incorrect reading errors if you find them, and I'll update the distribution.

Just wanted to give a heads up for anyone that intends to use this that all the sound files in the .tsv are listed as .wav format, when in actuality they are in .mp3. I was having a hell of a time trying to figure out why the sounds wouldn't play...

Reply #39 - 2009 July 04, 6:22 am
Teskal Member

I heard only a few of the audio-files, but parts of the beginning seems to be cut. Or it is also possible the speaking is so fast, that I couldn't understand the beginning words.

Reply #40 - 2009 July 04, 12:15 pm
ahibba Member

Thank you fluxcapacitor again for all your effort and corrections.

mafreid, how did you split the sentences into seperate audio files?

I want to re-generate the audio for the corrected sentences.

I have Misaki voice and some text-to-speech software. I usually use TextAloud.

If I copy all sentences from the spreadsheets into TextAloud, it will produce one mp3 with all of them.

How can I split them?

I usually put 5 seconds silence after each sentence then use mp3 splitters to detect the silence and split, but maybe you have something more faster.

Last edited by ahibba (2009 July 04, 12:18 pm)

Reply #41 - 2009 July 04, 1:33 pm
fluxcapacitor Member

mafried wrote:

fluxcapacitor, I'm curious.  How would you rate your Japanese ability as a result of finishing JSPfEC?

I'd say my ability sucks. Haha. I still feel like a beginner. I'd attribute it more to lack of effort on my part though. I've really been slacking off since finishing this book. I felt like I had learned a lot after finishing it, but I haven't really been doing anything to reinforce what I learned, such as reading manga or watching dramas. I had also planned to do 2001 Kanji Odyssey after JSPEC, but I haven't got around to it.

JSPEC is definitely what I would recommend after RTK though, because of the grammar books I've bought, it's the most straightforward and easiest to understand. (I've also bought UBJG, Japanese In MangaLand, and 200 Essential Japanese Expressions.) It might not teach as much as those other books though... I'm not really sure since I haven't made it all the way through them. I like JSPEC more than Tae Kim's guide too.

Last edited by fluxcapacitor (2009 July 04, 1:34 pm)

Reply #42 - 2009 July 04, 2:15 pm
mafried Member

What about reading manga or novels?  I mean aside from vocab/kanji you don't know, are you able to parse the grammar of sentence (particles, inflection, etc.) at least?  I'm just trying to compare so I feel comfortable recommending the book to others.  I read it cover to cover, but only SRS'd a few of the sentences.

To the people who've asked, I've uploaded a new pack of TTS audio, using the latest fixed version of the spreadsheet.  ahibba, I also included the python script I used to generate it.

Teskal, I think what you're witnessing is a problem with Anki, or codec/OS problem.  Have you tried with with the latest version?  There's been significant changes to the media layer.

Reply #43 - 2009 July 04, 3:25 pm
ahibba Member

Thank you mafried. I re-downloaded the audio few hours ago, then I'm re-downloading it right now. I noticed a difference in the size, so I realized that it was updated.

I'm going to learn Python, is it an easy language? It seems easy, but I don't know why it require too many lines to do such a simple task.

Reply #44 - 2009 July 04, 4:02 pm
mafried Member

Python is a straight forward language.  The Microsoft speech API, and its binding to python is another story, however.

Reply #45 - 2009 August 08, 1:13 pm
BigAmish Member

Finally completed this book & finished my initial study of the associated sentences via SRS (~2.5 months).  Great stuff & time well spent.  Many thanks to mafried & fluxcapacitor for their efforts.  Next SRS project...sentence mining よつばと and フルーツ・バスケット now that my grammar skills have improved!

Last edited by BigAmish (2009 August 08, 1:14 pm)

Reply #46 - 2009 August 08, 9:46 pm
mafried Member

Congradulations!  I too hope to reach that goal soon...

If you have a moment, I'd like to ask you the same question I asked fluxcapacitor: how would you rate your Japanese ability now as a result of finishing JSPfEC?

Reply #47 - 2009 August 08, 10:13 pm
Blank Member

Thanks for the great work in making this spreadsheet, fluxcapacitor.

I'm near the end of the book, and so far I've only noticed one error in the spreadsheet (compared against the sentences in the book): Pattern #91, fourth sentence (line 703 in Excel file), 進めて should be 勧めて. Other than that, it's been perfect as far as I've noticed.

Last edited by Blank (2009 August 08, 10:14 pm)

Reply #48 - 2009 August 09, 8:28 am
BigAmish Member

mafried wrote:

If you have a moment, I'd like to ask you the same question I asked fluxcapacitor: how would you rate your Japanese ability now as a result of finishing JSPfEC?

Disclaimer:  my main focus in my Japanese studies is reading/listening comprehension.  I'd love to speak it, but in northwest metro Atlanta, there aren't very many opportunities to do this with native speakers, even at local Universities.

To answer your question, my reading comprehension has improved notably over where I started but I still have a very long way to go.  I notice it the most when I open up bilingual books I had once put on the back burner because they were too hard, and can now largely figure out what is being said without being overly reliant on the translations.  Example:  "Assimil Japanese With Ease (Volume 1 & 2)" is fairly easy now, especially from a grammar perspective.  Granted many of these bilingual books were only beginner/intermediate level at best, but it makes me feel warm & fuzzy to discover that although it didn't feel all that difficult while I was doing it, I had obviously learned & retained something.  In fact, this seems to be a general theme in my Japanese studies. Focus on a subject/book I am interested in (while using an SRS), review for a while, come back to what was once difficult material & it now seems to be considerably easier.  No large leaps of increased proficiency, just lots of little baby-step improvements.

My listening comprehension is still extremely weak, but I am recognizing words & phrases that I could not before, even if it takes my brain 15 second to process some of the medium length sentences I hear.  Longer sentences still lose me pretty quickly.

So, to sum up, this resource did it's job in laying the foundation for more advanced study.  Reading has become more enjoyable and less of a chore, but I still need to keep up my smart.fm & anki vocabulary studies (got to keep building my vocabulary muscles), and I really need to focus on verb conjugations at some point if I am ever going to get into the "production" phase.

Reply #49 - 2009 August 09, 11:32 am
mafried Member

Thanks BigAmish, it's good to get some feedback.  Hopefully soon I'll be adding my own 2cents on JSPfEC's worth.

Reply #50 - 2009 August 09, 1:26 pm
fluxcapacitor Member

Blank wrote:

Thanks for the great work in making this spreadsheet, fluxcapacitor.

I'm near the end of the book, and so far I've only noticed one error in the spreadsheet (compared against the sentences in the book): Pattern #91, fourth sentence (line 703 in Excel file), 進めて should be 勧めて. Other than that, it's been perfect as far as I've noticed.

Thanks for letting us know about the error. I've uploaded the fixed file and put the new link in the original post.