Nice Kanji Stroke-Order Website...

Index » Learning resources

Reply #1 - 2008 May 19, 9:42 pm
Hashiriya Member

hey guys, just thought that i might share this website with you in case you are having any difficulties with the stroke-orders of the kanji... anyways here it is:

http://www.yamasa.cc/members/ocjs/kanji … 3?OpenForm

Reply #2 - 2008 May 19, 10:04 pm
raseru Member

I remember seeing this japanese girl write 備 before and I was like, I don't recognize that, but when she told me junbi, I instantly knew but still thought it looked really strange

looked up 備 on here, and it does look the same http://www.yamasa.cc/members/ocjs/kanji … enDocument

taka kanji's database looks like the actual kanji though. Is it just different styles of writing, or is one of them wrong?

Last edited by raseru (2008 May 19, 10:08 pm)

Reply #3 - 2008 May 19, 10:14 pm
Hashiriya Member

i think when they do the stroke-orders on this website it makes it look like what it would look like if a person handwrote it instead of just reading it off of a computer...... just like when people handwrite the letter "a" in english it doesn't usually look like whats on the computer...

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101 Sponsor

Reply #4 - 2008 May 19, 10:25 pm
shaydwyrm Member

Yamasa is a great resource...too bad the website is sooooooo slooooow.  Also their search functions are mediocre.  I find myself often looking up an unknown kanji on WWWJDIC, then copying and pasting into Yamasa for the handwriting sample.

Reply #5 - 2008 May 19, 10:42 pm
scout Member

BTW, the font they're using for the handwritten version is called 恋文ペン字.  I made up a poster of all of the kanji in RTK order (similar to kanjiposter) using that font.  It's fun to just browse it, and see if you can find one you don't recognize.  The order helps to prompt your memory as to what it is, in case you can't make sense of it.  I figure it's a decent way to get more familiar with some of the common changes you'd see in handwriting.

Reply #6 - 2008 May 19, 10:45 pm
raseru Member

Hashiriya wrote:

i think when they do the stroke-orders on this website it makes it look like what it would look like if a person handwrote it instead of just reading it off of a computer...... just like when people handwrite the letter "a" in english it doesn't usually look like whats on the computer...

Maybe, but Taka's database also goes for that too I believe (both do 心 the ugly way), but there's still some differences between the two.
Also this shows 言 as the first stroke vertical instead of diagonal or horizontal, and I know I've seen Japanese do it vertical, maybe diagonal too, I'm not sure.

Now the third box for kanji with the handwritten feel on it looks completely different from what I've seen. Is that just a real sloppy but quick way to write kanji? Or is it the old way they used to write kanji like in cursive and it's nearly unreadable?

Edit:Post above wasn't there when I started typing. So it's just some love-letter font?

Last edited by raseru (2008 May 20, 12:03 am)

Reply #7 - 2008 May 20, 12:04 am
rich_f Member

Heh, I've been studying Chinese calligraphy for a while now, and my teacher is finally teaching me cursive styles (sort of like running style, but not grass style. No idea how it translates into Japanese). Anyway, just last week, I learned the shorthand for the "cave" radical... it's that almost "7" shaped radical. So yeah, it's a sort of cursive style.

Those books on kanji handwriting with a pen look pretty tempting now, if only to practice the handwritten forms to recognize them better.

Reply #8 - 2008 May 20, 7:57 pm
raseru Member

I asked my friend about it, and she said either is perfectly fine, she wouldn't see it as weird either way for handwritten

but she said for 漢字検定 you'll need to use the handwritten method. Taka's database doesn't really cover all of them I think, like 口 vertical lines are more along the lines of \  /

Reply #9 - 2008 May 20, 8:07 pm
Jarvik7 Member

Before using Taka's database, look at this page http://taka.sourceforge.net/status.php and reconsider if that is really something you'd trust at this point in its development.

Last edited by Jarvik7 (2008 May 20, 8:17 pm)

Reply #10 - 2008 May 21, 5:41 am
Tourne Member

raseru wrote:

.... (both do 心 the ugly way) .... .

Out of curiosity, what is the non-ugly way?

Reply #11 - 2008 May 30, 9:42 am
windykat Member

The Yamasa site seems to be having problems. Has anyone else noticed this?

Reply #12 - 2008 May 30, 9:53 am
Codexus Member

yeah... sad

I hope it will be back soon, it's my favorite site for checking stroke order and stuff.

Reply #13 - 2008 May 31, 1:05 am
windykat Member

Yay! The Yamasa site is back up after 3 days of being down.

Reply #14 - 2008 June 24, 2:44 pm
raseru Member

Is there a site that shows kanji past the jouyou?
When I see kanji like this 溺, it shows it looking different, kind of like 勿 rather than the ice but rtk3 shows it as the ice, but I have no way to look up the stroke order since both sites I know don't go past jouyou
there's a bunch more too.. like 僅 doesn't look like cabbage at all (I imagine this might matter depending on your font though)

Last edited by raseru (2008 June 24, 11:28 pm)