recall and recognition

Index » RtK Volume 1

Reply #1 - July 29, 12:16 pm
ariariari Member

I just started on RTK and am using this anki deck to help me determine when I should review various kanji: https://ankiweb.net/shared/info/1064504798.

One thing that surprises me is that each note has only one card.  I.e.

"one" appears, then then you need to write "一"

Normally in Anki decks each note has 2 cards.  So I'm surprised that the deck never shows me "一" and asks me for the keyword.

I'm curious what people who have finished the course think about this. How important do you feel it is to get quizzed on both sides of the card?

Thanks.

Reply #2 - July 29, 12:34 pm
Vempele Member

Heisig recommends doing only keyword-to-kanji, I guess the deck makers respect his vision. It's easy to add your own recognition card template, anyway.

Personally, I wasn't interested in being able to write the kanji, so I only ever did recognition.

Reply #3 - July 29, 12:48 pm
ariariari Member

Vempele wrote:

Heisig recommends doing only keyword-to-kanji, I guess the deck makers respect his vision. It's easy to add your own recognition card template, anyway.

Personally, I wasn't interested in being able to write the kanji, so I only ever did recognition.

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that. I've read the introduction before and I guess that I just missed that part of it.  I'm happy doing whatever Heisig recommended. The result of his system seems so awesome, I'm happy to follow whatever steps he recommended. People who have completed the system report good results.  No need to make the project any harder than it needs to be!

Advertising (register and sign in to hide this)
JapanesePod101 Sponsor

Reply #4 - July 29, 1:00 pm
john555 Member

ariariari wrote:

Vempele wrote:

Thanks.  I wasn't aware of that. I've read the introduction before and I guess that I just missed that part of it.  I'm happy doing whatever Heisig recommended. The result of his system seems so awesome, I'm happy to follow whatever steps he recommended. People who have completed the system report good results.  No need to make the project any harder than it needs to be!

I finished RTK1 several months ago.  I did almost all testing keyword to kanji.  Sometimes I did kanji to keyword.

I found you need to do SOME kanji to keyword because that helps cement the link more firmly between keyword and kanji.

Reply #5 - July 29, 2:25 pm
aldebrn Member
From: Maryland, USA Registered: 2014-07-10 Posts: 180 Website

ariariari, take a look at the thread http://forum.koohii.com/viewtopic.php?id=12592 where a learner was struggling with (among a couple of things) this very problem between recall vs recognition. There was some good discussion on how to get your recognition fix while doing Heisig in ways you find interesting and entertaining. (I personally am finding it essential to do as much recognition at recall because I am competitive with my spouse, who is doing mainly recognition.)

Note that psychologically speaking, recall (producing kanji) is much harder than recognition (recognizing kanji and producing keywords), so practicing recognition isn't much more work.

Last edited by aldebrn (July 29, 2:26 pm)

Reply #6 - July 29, 3:40 pm
yogert909 Member
From: Los Angeles, Ca Registered: 2013-05-03 Posts: 354 Website

If you do find that you want to create cards in the reverse, you can do this yourself.  I don't have anki on this computer so I can't remember exactly.  But here is the section in the manual that explains how to create cards the way you want.