Back

how long should it take to finish core2000?

I want to finish core2000 (recognition only) for the JLPTN3, how many cards should I study a day?
2000 ÷ however many days you have. Maybe leave a week or two between the end and the test so you get to review each word at least twice.
Depends when you're going to take the JLPT.
(March 20-31) All Access Pass: 25% OFF Basic, Premium & Premium PLUS! 
Coupon: ALLACCESS2017
JapanesePod101
the one in December. Is 40 cards reasonable?
warakawa Wrote:the one in December. Is 40 cards reasonable?
Hard but very possible.
Edited: 2012-09-06, 2:10 pm
Depends on how you plan on using them. With how I have mine set up, that would take several hours daily after the first initial week.
I've been doing Core2k/6k at 33 (1000 a month) new cards a day for the last 3 months. Its really not that much at all. I spend 1-2 hours at most in anki per day.
Edited: 2012-09-06, 2:21 pm
Even 25/day will get you done before December. 20 new cards/day is pretty easy as long as you can handle a total of around 100 reviews/day. Doing 40 or more initially would be easy by the same principle, but the reviews could build up to 200-300 or more after a few weeks. There's nothing to stop you from slowing down at that point though. Just start with as many as you can and adjust based on what you can handle.
Good basic words to know before you even start the JLPTN2.  It is NOT necessary for you to learn to write any of these words, ever!  Do not get overwhelmed with learning the corresponding radical for each word.  Just learn to recognize the kanji and learn the vocabulary words.  It is important to be able to recognize these words used in daily life when Japanese people speak to you.  Try to integrate the use of these words into your daily routine as well.  Unless you can hack these vocabulary words, do NOT attempt the JLPTN2.  Most of the vocabulary words here are words that come up in grade 3, even though in some cases, the kanji does not arise.  The kanji is there to help you grasp the meaning so you can make a story in your head the way it is taught in Heisig's Remembering the Kanji.  As well, Japanese language has a lot of homonyms so the kanji is necessary to differentiate each word.  Feel free to print out the list of words and make cards out of them.  I decided to add the hiragana here on the left so that you could type out the kanji for yourself or even look up the meaning in English if you like.  Remember, exams are all multiple choice so as long as you can recognize it when you are shown the word later on that will suffice.  Do not make this more brutal on yourself than it already is.  Japanese is hard enough as it is.  Please be kind to yourself.  日本語を学習すると沢山の同音異義語があるので悪魔でも漢字の読み方を学ぶ必要があります。漢字の書き方や書き順序、部首(偏旁脚冠)を習う必要は一切ありません。最後の方には少し四字熟語も入っているので注意してくださいませ。

1)手相:てそう        
2)見聞:けんぶん
3)題名:だいめい
4)定まる:さたまる
5)境界線:きょうかいせん
6)狙い:ねらい
7)錆びる:さびる
8)指名:しめい
9)第一章:だいいっしょう
10)行事:ぎょうじ
11)銀河:ぎんが
12)読点:とうてん
13)持続:じぞく
14)持参: じさん
15)洗面用具:せんめんようぐ
16)会談:かいだん
17)筆談:ひつだん
18)寛ぐ:寛ぐ
19)囁く:ささやく
20)躓く:つまずく
21)彫刻:ちょうこく
22)浜辺:はまべ
23)気配:けはい
24)早とちり:はやとちり
25)眩む:くらむ
26)繋ぐ:つなぐ
27)賑やか:にぎやか
28)夕立が降る:ゆだちがふる
29)御洒落:おしゃれ
30)故郷:ふるさと
31)描く:かく
32)渾名:あだな
33)宛名:あてな
34)蜘蛛:くも
35)蝋燭:ろうそく
36)蜻蛉:とんぼ
37)模様:もよう
38)暢気:のんき
39)赤頭巾:あかずきん
40)究明:究明
41)等分:とうぶん
42)羊毛:ようもう
43)等しい:ひとしい
44)直球:ちょっきゅう
45)寄せる:よせる
46)入道雲:にゅうどううん
47)劇:げき
48)煮る:にる
49)灯す:ともす
50)新た:あらた
51)祭典:さいてん
52)神話:しんわ
53)祈る:いのる
54)引用:いんよう
55)励む:はげむ
56)炭酸水:たんさんみず
57)苦味:にがみ
58)球根:きゅうこん
59)四苦八苦:しくはっく
60)後の祭り:あとのまつり
61)集合時間:しゅうごうじかん
62)決勝:けっしょう
63)発想:はっそう
64)発想:はっそう
65)真っ青:まっさお
66)決死:けっし
67)電柱:でんちゅう
68)返品:へんぴん
69)質が悪い:しつがわるい
70)休息:きゅうそく
71)暑中見舞い:しょちゅうみまい
72)日直:にっちょく
73)電池:でんち
74)先取する:せんしゅする
75)投書:とうしょ
76)塞ぐ:ふさぐ
Edited: 2016-08-14, 6:04 am
I have finished Core2000 some time ago. It took me a looong time (years…), but I added only 6 cards a day, which means 3 words since I have "reading", "listening", and "recognition" cards.
Now, I still have about 25 reviews a day and the number does not seem to decrease to zero very fast…
Admittedly I am 65 and my present memory cannot mach that of the younger folks.
Not trying to give my case as an example here, but I thought it could be worthwhile to put a more exotic data point on the Gaussian curve   Wink
Assuming you count going English prompt to Japanese vocabulary as learning and have 90% of words with spacing of 30 days as learned, it'll take you about 15 words/hour on average. However, I do recommend you have a healthy mix of vocabulary, grammar and immersion.

Also, Core 2k + Tae Kim + KO2k1 book 1 kanji will only cover N4/N5. For N3, assume you'll need half of Core 6k (2000 words), half of ADoIJG and/or Kanzen Master N3 and likely KO2k1 book 2 kanji.
Considering this thread is 4 years old, I'd guess OP took the N3 or gave up already.