Back

Japanese language schools in Tokyo - the good and the bad

activeaero

There are a variety of free community lessons where you'll be getting near 1 on 1 instruction and most of them are free or nearly free.  I quickly realized all I really needed was basically a few hours a week access to a Japanese person who was willing to spend the entire hour devoted to answering my questions.  4hrs per day 5 days per week is just a ton of wasted time.  Everything you do in language school is something you can do on your own even better than the school does it with the exception of simply having an instructor available to ask questions, which is what the few hours a week of community offered classes would cover.

I can't express how interested I'm in this "free community lessons" you're saying. I'm about to leave to Japan and enroll to ISI, can you give me more information about this community lessons?
(2016-09-08, 12:47 am)Bukanzen Wrote: I can't express how interested I'm in this "free community lessons" you're saying. I'm about to leave to Japan and enroll to ISI, can you give me more information about this community lessons?

It's been a few years for me, but I doubt anything has changed regarding this.  Most city halls and community centers had a group of volunteers that give lessons for maybe 100 yen per class.  I just checked the webpage of one of the places I used to go and it is still running.  They were usually 1.5 or 2 hour classes.  One of the ones I went to used Minna No Nihongo, the others had less structured courses.

I used to go to 2 or 3 of these per week, they were in different places and the range of materials and instructions varied widely.  I found that if you showed yourself to be serious and studious they eventually filtered you to decent teachers and not just the old rich guy who wanted to tell you about his trip to matterhorn.

In my experience, 80% plus were older housewives, and the best teachers were studying a language themselves (usually English).

Just show up a bit early for one of the classes, they will get you sorted and try to find the right level for you.  This might take a few classes but it is not like you are wasting money doing it.