Back

Motivational video for handling AJATT!

(2011-03-14, 5:27 pm)ta12121 Wrote: @Es2Kay

"10,000 people wanna do it. 100 people start. 1 keeps it up"
I love this one, as out of all the people I know, I'm the only one doing it/continue doing it. No matter what.

I find that rather unmotivating. I don't have the hubris to think I am in the top 1% of effort guys so really why bother trying.

Ditto for the you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, sure but if you don't shoot you retain possession and might have a better chance later. No pro sport guy will take a shot just because unless they are about to have possession taken from them.

Most slogans and motivational facebook posters have issues if you really look at them.

Here is something you can use.

I don't work or have a social life. If I plowed my time into Japanese hard core I probably would have passed or near passed JLPT N1 however I never got going with RTK, almost finished but at a slow pace and just before I finished I decided to switch languages. So now I have nothing.
If when I switched languages when I planned I'd depending on test times be HSK5 and close to HSK6 but again couldn't get momentum and have nothing to show for it but lots of time on the Internet and TV.

Did not give up on it, but all that time wasted, that could have gotten me closer to my goals.

Same thing for weight loss and the gym, if only I pushed hard earlier. Oh well there is always tomorrow. I hear it is only a day away.

Don't be like me. Once time passes you don't get it back, this becomes much more clear as you approach 50.
Again don't be like me... except for investing, I seem to have the knack for that. Oh and eating pizza. If you want to stuff yourself stupid with the za then follow my lead. Other than that be someone else. Preferably Batman or a unicorn but anyone but me will be good.

Also there is the never give up video with the Japanese Tennis guy which has been posted here before. In water at -10 harvesting Asiatic clams.

Come on, don't let him down. He seems to care.
Edited: 2017-01-30, 3:50 am
(2017-01-30, 3:47 am)Dudeist Wrote: I find that rather unmotivating. I don't have the hubris to think I am in the top 1% of effort guys so really why bother trying.
It's funny because tenacity is one of the few qualities related to success that you can change about yourself.  Years ago I was the kind of person that started hundreds of projects and never finished any.  I didn't watch a  motivational video but I did decide that I wanted to start finishing what I started.  These days, I hardly ever start something I don't eventually finish.  
It's more of a habitual thing than anything - once you get into the habit of saying no to short term pleasures and keep your eye on your goals it's easy to finish.  Also, since you know you will be spending a significant amount of time on a project, you choose your projects thoughtfully rather than blowing whichever way the wind is blowing.
(2017-01-30, 7:25 pm)yogert909 Wrote:
(2017-01-30, 3:47 am)Dudeist Wrote: I find that rather unmotivating. I don't have the hubris to think I am in the top 1% of effort guys so really why bother trying.
It's funny because tenacity is one of the few qualities related to success that you can change about yourself.  Years ago I was the kind of person that started hundreds of projects and never finished any.  I didn't watch a  motivational video but I did decide that I wanted to start finishing what I started.  These days, I hardly ever start something I don't eventually finish.  
It's more of a habitual thing than anything - once you get into the habit of saying no to short term pleasures and keep your eye on your goals it's easy to finish.  Also, since you know you will be spending a significant amount of time on a project, you choose your projects thoughtfully rather than blowing whichever way the wind is blowing.
If only 1 percent manage to do that though, it doesn't sound very easy to change. Extremely unlikely. Hell about 5% manage to keep a 50 pound weight loss for 5 years and that is also brutal hard. 1% is pretty low odds.

I mean I'm working on it, because the things, language and non language are worth it and I feel achievable even if I fail a few times. I would just get turned off if I would need to be a one percenter to do it.
JapanesePod101
(2017-01-30, 3:47 am)Dudeist Wrote:
(2011-03-14, 5:27 pm)ta12121 Wrote: @Es2Kay

"10,000 people wanna do it. 100 people start. 1 keeps it up"
I love this one, as out of all the people I know, I'm the only one doing it/continue doing it. No matter what.

I find that rather unmotivating. I don't have the hubris to think I am in the top 1% of effort guys so really why bother trying.

Ditto for the you miss 100% of the shots you don't take, sure but if you don't shoot you retain possession and might have a better chance later. No pro sport guy will take a shot just because unless they are about to have possession taken from them.
The "10,000 people wanna do it" is not a statistic, but a statement of fact. I meet tons of people who keep saying, "Oh, I'd love to be able to speak [insert language here]!" But they can't, because they'd rather watch binge-watch Netflix than actually do the work required to fulfill that aspiration. Moral of the story: nothing comes by wishing - you have to work for it. 

The mind is a "use it or lose it" faculty, esp. as you get older, so the analogy of not taking the shot doesn't really work here. (Cf. all the latest research showing that knowing multiple languages staves off the onset of Alzheimer's.) If you keep refusing to take the shot, eventually Father Time's gonna rip the ball out of your hands.
Edited: 2017-01-31, 8:59 am
(2017-01-31, 1:42 am)Dudeist Wrote: I mean I'm working on it, because the things, language and non language are worth it and I feel achievable even if I fail a few times. I would just get turned off if I would need to be a one percent to do it.
Look at the bright side, if you do it, then you raise the probabilities and you only have to be a 2%er to do it. Big Grin
I seriously doubt those statistics anyway. I know several people who've kept off >50lbs for more than 5 years and I don't think these people are outliers. One person in particular I would rate below average on the tenacity and grit scales. Same with language. Everybody learns at least one language. People that really want or need to learn a 2nd language do so with relative ease because the only hard part is doing it every day - which really is much easier than actually hard things.
People want to achieve more than the average person and then get demotivated when they realise the average person doesn't achieve that. Oy vey, you can't make this up.
(2017-02-01, 1:31 am)NinKenDo Wrote: People want to achieve more than the average person and then get demotivated when they realise the average person doesn't achieve that. Oy vey, you can't make this up.

You just made that up.
I guess you are one of those 1 percenters.