Has anyone taken this test? I had to take it for my Japanese class. She just wanted us to see the grade. It takes about 30min and it should show your Japanese ability. I started studying last august and my final number was 167. Which is in between JLPT 3 and 2 according to their list.

http://www.j-cat.org/

Check it out and let me know how you do!
楽しそう!

システムのチェック
画面の大きさ: エラー (1024*600)

画面が小さいです。1024×768px 以上のモニタを使ってください。

ゴーン!
失敗しちゃった!

Seriously, that's kinda lame.

(EDIT: one VGA cable and monitor later...)

And, they still want to make me wait...
Edited: 2010-11-21, 3:38 pm
yeah so I guess you have to apply for a password and they get it to you in 72 hours...
mine came in about 8 though.

that stinks about your monitor!
did you get it fixed?
JapanesePod101
For some reason, I was thrown out of Fullscreen mode during the last part and now I am (apparently) finished..
Computers are the devil, all hail paper based tests!
Did they give you a pdf of your score?
Actually, they did, but.. well, see for yourself
聴解 / Listening 81
語彙 / Vocabulary 80
文法 / Grammar 91
読解 / Reading 66
合計 / Total 318

..or maybe I just bucked up that last part. Wink
Awesome! How long have you been studying?
I assume those are out of 100, in which case, おめでとうございました。
I signed up and took the practice test -- I have to wait another three days for the real test.
spleenlol Wrote:Awesome! How long have you been studying?
I honestly don't know. Wink About three and a half years I suppose
gyuujuice Wrote:I assume those are out of 100, in which case, おめでとうございました。
I guess they must be -- the score interpretation page implies that the maximum is 400.
pm215 Wrote:
I guess they must be -- the score interpretation page implies that the maximum is 400.
350+=near-native level(according to the scoring). I just took the listening part for a few questions to get a feel for the test. Not hard at all, I think it's because I do nothing but listen to japanese all day(for my media enjoyment). But for a better prediction I'll post my results up on friday or something, once I come home from class.(Rather do it relaxed and awake then rushed)
ta12121 Wrote:
pm215 Wrote:
350+=near-native level(according to the scoring). I just took the listening part for a few questions to get a feel for the test. Not hard at all
Er, given that the way the test works is that it starts off easy-ish and dynamically adjusts the difficulty of the questions based on whether you got the previous ones right or wrong, the first few minutes are probably not a very good guide. Also at the end of the test I'd expect everybody to finish with questions which roughly matched the score the test was about to give them. So everybody's experience of the test will be different, and the only thing you can compare between people is scores (and you have to trust that their algorithm is good :-))
Oh, I figured everybody would answer roughly the same questions. Didn't know they had that kind of system.
This sounds kind of interesting though. At least more so than the JLPT Smile
Listening 76
Vocabulary 81
Grammar 58
Reading 52
Total 267

Interesting <_<

For the record, I have been studying for 3.5 years as well. Damn you, Evil_Dragon, I shall surpass you! Ah, just joking Tongue

I was kinda tired when I took the test. Ah I will stop with the excuses now Tongue
Evil_Dragon Wrote:Oh, I figured everybody would answer roughly the same questions. Didn't know they had that kind of system.
This sounds kind of interesting though. At least more so than the JLPT Smile
The impression I picked up from the web pages is that the people behind the test are in it for the research into this sort of adaptive test, and the provision of a free Japanese proficiency test is kind of a side-effect :-) I think that the adaptivity is what lets them have a single test covering the whole ability range that doesn't take six hours...
Sorry I'm so late to respond. Happy Thanksgiving!

Three years huh Evil_Dragon! That's nice. I have a goal to meet now. Maybe I will take this again in 2 years and see if I surpass you. >:]

And I am pretty sure the questions change depending on if you scored correctly on the previous one or not. I had some in the reading section that was very basic kanji and then they gave me a paragraph that had newspaper-hard difficulty kanji. haha.
For what it's worth, I finally got around to it:
聴解 / Listening 83
語彙 / Vocabulary 69
文法 / Grammar 53
読解 / Reading 60
合計 / Total 265

You can pretty much tell I did the grammar/reading the next day.
Asriel Wrote:For what it's worth, I finally got around to it:
聴解 / Listening 83
語彙 / Vocabulary 69
文法 / Grammar 53
読解 / Reading 60
合計 / Total 265

You can pretty much tell I did the grammar/reading the next day.
That is not a bad result , what was the paper pattern ?
It's on their website but you simply go through the questions and then the computer program selects harder or easier questions based on how you answer them.
http://www.j-cat.org/page/interpret
Section Score
Listening 79
Vocabulary 87
Grammar 62
Reading 65
Total 293

I noticed whenever it gave a lot of the answers in hiragana(not kanji) I had trouble, it took a bit of time for my mind to convert it in all kana(I always hear how japanese people have trouble with all kana sentences, I wonder if it's the same thing...)
The grammar definitely needs work. As for the reading part it wasn't hard but it definitely signals me to keep reading until I can get good. The listening part wasn't bad as I was listening for the specific answer to what the question was asking for.
ta12121 Wrote:Section Score
Listening 79
Vocabulary 87
Grammar 62
Reading 65
Total 293

I noticed whenever it gave a lot of the answers in hiragana(not kanji) I had trouble, it took a bit of time for my mind to convert it in all kana(I always hear how japanese people have trouble with all kana sentences, I wonder if it's the same thing...)
The grammar definitely needs work. As for the reading part it wasn't hard but it definitely signals me to keep reading until I can get good. The listening part wasn't bad as I was listening for the specific answer to what the question was asking for.
Outstanding score there. Definitely a sign for you to take the JLPT N2 or N1 so that you can convert all this self training into real world college credit (if that's what you're looking for). I think a passing N1 is worth about 26 credit hours in foreign language studies at some institutions.
スコア Wrote:セクション スコア
Listening 54
Vocabulary 84
Grammar 82
Reading 68
合計 288
I don't know what happened with the listening. The dialogue seemed easy and there weren't any words I didn't know. I don't think the long loading times helped; I kept messing around with my iPod and getting distracted.

The reading was just difficult. A little over two minutes to read a big passage about a Sherlock Holmes plot and think about the question. The vocab started getting insanely difficult. There was a 'what word means the same as this?' question and it didn't have a 常用漢字 let alone a word I knew.

I've got an N1 listening and reading workbook on the way, but this score highlights my need for more consistent exposure, which I've been trying to work on the past few weeks. I'm looking forward to trying the test again in six months to see how much I can improve.
Edited: 2010-12-21, 3:17 pm
Nukemarine Wrote:
ta12121 Wrote:Section Score
Listening 79
Vocabulary 87
Grammar 62
Reading 65
Total 293

Outstanding score there. Definitely a sign for you to take the JLPT N2 or N1 so that you can convert all this self training into real world college credit (if that's what you're looking for). I think a passing N1 is worth about 26 credit hours in foreign language studies at some institutions.
Hmm 26 credit, I gotta double check on that one. But for now I just want to take it to get it out of the way. I know where my strengths are now and where my weaknesses are in the language. I'm going to start focusing on my weakness and my translation skills(although I'm kinda wonder how I will improve this)
Everyone has such high scores, I'm so embarrasedBig Grin

セクション スコア
Listening 55
Vocabulary 41
Grammar 10
Reading 51
合計 157

It's been 3 years since I first learnt japanese.(went to the second year in language school, finished and went back to listening to jpod). Then RTK.

5-6 months since I finished RTK and started doing sentences & vocabulary with Anki.

I don't know what to think about my progressBig Grin
So now 8 months passed and I did the test again.

Section Score
Listening 59
Vocabulary 67
Grammar 23
Reading 53

Total 202

Seems like I just entered Intermediate-high, N2 level, the last time I did the test I just entered Intermediate. Quite okay Tongue

My vocab improved by 36 points and grammar by 13.
Basically all I did was read a Lot of Manga, stuff on the net, and sent and received lots of emails and messages in Japanese.

I maybe srs-ed 2k words for some months, but I don't think that it gave me as much as reading a lot.

Reading still seems like an effective way of improving vocab and grammar.
I probably read 12 mangas and one 250 page novel + messages and mixi and a little bit of articles on the net. I wasn't very hardcore, so I'm satisfied.

Now it's about 1 year since I started doing ajatt after kanji, but I also had previous experience.
Edited: 2011-08-15, 7:35 pm