Back

Rikaichan: RevTK Community Edition

cool!

is there a youtube video demonstrating this tool?
I tried this out and it works like a charm. At first I got confused between "Highlighted word" and "Dictionary lookup of word", but I figured it out after some testing.

One feature that would be great, though I can't find a good way to implement at the moment, is to incorporate some form of 国語 lookup. For example, the word "何々" could be looked up in goo at
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/all/何々/m0u/

If only there was some way to open a J-J dictionary in the popup instead. I suppose it would help if there were a no-nonesense 国語辞典 but I don't know any. Plus wwwJDic which provides the dictionaries for Rikaichan only seems to have J-E versions available. It's just a thought, but I think many people would get some use out of it.
dat5h Wrote:I tried this out and it works like a charm. At first I got confused between "Highlighted word" and "Dictionary lookup of word", but I figured it out after some testing.

One feature that would be great, though I can't find a good way to implement at the moment, is to incorporate some form of 国語 lookup. For example, the word "何々" could be looked up in goo at
http://dictionary.goo.ne.jp/srch/all/何々/m0u/

If only there was some way to open a J-J dictionary in the popup instead. I suppose it would help if there were a no-nonesense 国語辞典 but I don't know any. Plus wwwJDic which provides the dictionaries for Rikaichan only seems to have J-E versions available. It's just a thought, but I think many people would get some use out of it.
That's not outside the realm of possibility. Though sanseido would be easier for me as a first attempt.

Notes to self:
To get the page, I would use something like the following url:
Code:
http://www.sanseido.net/User/Dic/Index.aspx?TWords=何々&st=0&DailyJJ=checkbox
The definition is in the NetDicBody div.
Edited: 2011-04-07, 10:33 pm
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
I have just uploaded version 10.0 beta of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 10.0 beta via Mediafire

What's New?

Added "Sanseido Mode" - press the "P" key to toggle on/off. Sanseido Mode allows you to mouse over a word like usual, but instead of the normal J-E WWWJDIC translation, you will see the definition taken from the J-J sanseido dictionary site.

Example:

[Image: rikaichanjdicaudio100be.png]

This is a beta release so feedback is welcome. Once we get Sanseido Mode ironed out, I can move on to other dictionaries like goo辞書 (suggested above).

cb4960
Edited: 2011-04-10, 10:34 pm
Wow, I've checked it out and it seems to work great so far. I'm quite impressed by the speed of the J-J internet lookup.
It works for me also, but it's a bit strange, the way it seems to cycle through definitions before settling on an entry? That's my impression, a flickering of 2-3 passages of text before it stops, displaying the definition.
that's great! great tool!
@cb, did you think about my suggested implementation of 'saving sound by pressing the s-Button to the tab-separated text-file for anki import'? I'd really like to have it, since it would increase/advance my listening comprehension a lot, I think!! Thanks for that mod, too!
I've been playing around and I gotta say that I haven't seen any problems, it even saves the Japanese definition without issue including the part-of-speach-marker. I also kinda find it amusing that if you visit the sanseido dictionary page it has a list of the recent searches which includes those done by rikaichan. That being said there is a second of flickering before the definition is shown as nest0r said, but it is quite brief.

I noticed something else recently, though, which was in the original rikaichan. It's probably not particularly important, but saving 'hiragana of the word' does not write to the file if 'Definition lookup of the word' is hiragana or katakana. It might be nice to include an option to toggle this or not.

Tori-kun's idea of saving audio to a designated folder possible with 'Dictionary lookup of word'.mp3 as a name would be quite interesting as well.
Edited: 2011-04-11, 8:54 am
Thanks for the feedback!

@ nest0r
The flickering text issue is probably caused by lookups of words that you have hovered over before eventually stopping your mouse at the desired word. As soon as you hover over a word, a sanseido lookup takes place on a separate thread which will display a popup upon completion. Currently, the threads don’t know about each other and won’t cancel themselves when another word is hovered over. This should be easily to fix.

@Tori-kun
I was thinking of rolling the audio save feature into version 11. I kinda got distracted with dat5h’s shiny new feature suggestion Smile.

@dat5h
I’ll look at the hiragana save issue.
Edited: 2011-04-11, 1:43 pm
Thanks again for this plugin. It's amazing!
The only thing I could not get to work so far is the audio. Surprisingly, I installed the plugin (v. 10) on two quite different configurations today (iMac Intel, Snow Leopard, Firefox 4 and PPC Powerbook, Leopard, Firefox 3.6) and neither of them produced a sound. On the second one I had the old "audio alone" plugin installed up to now and it did work.

Any suggestion of what I could try to fix this?

Concerning future developments, I agree that saving the audio for subsequent import into Anki would be a major bonus. So far, I have been using the Anki "Audio download" plugin, which fetches the JPod101 sound files directly from within Anki. It would be nice if one could use one or the other tool on a given deck, depending whether facts are imported from the Rikaichan-generated text file of added manually.
jmignot Wrote:Thanks again for this plugin. It's amazing!
The only thing I could not get to work so far is the audio. Surprisingly, I installed the plugin (v. 10) on two quite different configurations today (iMac Intel, Snow Leopard, Firefox 4 and PPC Powerbook, Leopard, Firefox 3.6) and neither of them produced a sound. On the second one I had the old "audio alone" plugin installed up to now and it did work.

Any suggestion of what I could try to fix this?
The audio feature currently only works with Windows. Older versions "worked" using the QuickTime plugin but were very unreliable. In the future want to create an option where the user can point to an external player instead of using the included Windows-only one.
Edited: 2011-04-12, 8:58 pm
I have just uploaded version 10.0 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 10.0 via Mediafire

What's New?

Moved the Sanseido Mode feature out of beta (scroll up a few posts if you missed it).
- I removed the flickering text that was found in the beta release.
- I also removed the "..." that sometimes appeared at the end of some of the definitions.

Thanks to everybody who tested the beta release!

cb4960
Thanks. I will wait for a future version…
By the way, is there a place where one can find this kind of information (general description, configuration requirements, "release notes"?
The present thread is not very convenient as a reference as it is growing quite long.

> The audio feature currently only works with Windows
Wow, this is great stuff, cb! Just uninstalled my last modified version of Rikai-chan and installed the new one available and I must say I'm greatly impressed, awesome!! I was just wondering if the J-J definition feature would work offline as well... Suppose one would need to get a jp-dictionary file then, right? Still waiting the 'save sound' feature Big Grin

Edit: Just started using the add-on to save new words and recognised the following problem: Instead of separating the different meanings provided for a word with a semicolon ";", a "/" slash is used instead! See the picture below:

http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/fotuldrj/Unbenannt.PNG

What am I doing wrong? Any patches possible?
Edited: 2011-04-16, 12:58 pm
I have just uploaded version 10.1 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 10.1 via Mediafire

What's New?

- Incorporated changes from the official Rikaichan v2.02.

- Added audio support for Linux and Mac users. You will need to install mplayer if you
don't already have it.

For Linux, mplayer is assumed to be here: /usr/bin/mplayer
For Mac, mplayer is assumed to be here: /usr/local/bin/mplayer

I have only tested this on Linux (specifically, Linux Mint). Edit: kodorakun confirmed
that it also works on Mac OSX.

cb4960
Edited: 2011-06-04, 5:16 pm
I have just uploaded version 10.2 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 10.2 via Mediafire

(Just thought of one more quick thing I wanted to do.)

Clicking the Heisig number in the kanji view (via lookup bar or sticky mode) now links to the corresponding RevTK study page.

cb4960
just installed this, wow... I may have a crush on you, cb4960.

the RevTK # link is pretty handy, which made me think... would it technically be possible to have our own RTK stories displayed with a different color under the definitions? imported from anki, this page or even manual copy&paste by the user.

or have the story displayed when you hover over the Heisig number in kanji view? (instead of the link to this page)

this may be completely unrealistic, i have no idea Big Grin but I figured its worth asking since this could be really helpful for difficult/rare/brute-force kanji, RTK-lite people, RTK3 kanji you come across etc.

anything like that would be greatly appreciated!
Edited: 2011-06-02, 5:20 pm
keikei Wrote:just installed this, wow... I may have a crush on you, cb4960.

the RevTK # link is pretty handy, which made me think... would it technically be possible to have our own RTK stories displayed with a different color under the definitions? imported from anki, this page or even manual copy&paste by the user.

or have the story displayed when you hover over the Heisig number in kanji view? (instead of the link to this page)

this may be completely unrealistic, i have no idea Big Grin but I figured its worth asking since this could be really helpful for difficult/rare/brute-force kanji, RTK-lite people, RTK3 kanji you come across etc.

anything like that would be greatly appreciated!
I'll think about it, thanks for the suggestions!

Also, this feature currently only works for kanji in RTK1-3. However, as the study page now supports non-RTK kanji, I should've made it so any kanji can link to the study page. Oh well, next version.
Playing with this mod a lot right now, using it with Japanese Wordnet—the latter's hypernyms/hyponyms + jp/en definitions is tonnes of fun, where I just endlessly navigate (addictive like tvtropes) without SRSing, just triggering audio and English/monolingual definitions (and occasionally saving terms to later plug into Yomichan and make cards) as I go along (there's also TextAloud's shortcuts for sentence audio). I'm really into bunsetsu right now as units to focus on (a kind of sibling to my interest in collocations/KWIC via AntConc, which I use with Japanese novels), so I'm thinking I might play with the Japanese WordNet definitions input into KNP; I think I'm growing interested in some kind of automatic bunsetsu saving/SRSing tool, but that's a tangent. Sorry for the ramble, just excited (I finally have time to really focus on the year's resources and form them into an updated, integrted self-study system).
Edited: 2011-06-02, 11:24 pm
Thanks a million for modifying Rikaichan like this Smile I'm totally loving the sanseido feature. Does this do example sentences too? Please continue to update this with more awesome features!
Hashiriya Wrote:Thanks a million for modifying Rikaichan like this Smile I'm totally loving the sanseido feature. Does this do example sentences too? Please continue to update this with more awesome features!
If you look at the first post, it tells you how to set up the sentence stuff.
nest0r Wrote:Playing with this mod a lot right now, using it with Japanese Wordnet—the latter's hypernyms/hyponyms + jp/en definitions is tonnes of fun, where I just endlessly navigate (addictive like tvtropes) without SRSing, just triggering audio and English/monolingual definitions (and occasionally saving terms to later plug into Yomichan and make cards) as I go along (there's also TextAloud's shortcuts for sentence audio). I'm really into bunsetsu right now as units to focus on (a kind of sibling to my interest in collocations/KWIC via AntConc, which I use with Japanese novels), so I'm thinking I might play with the Japanese WordNet definitions input into KNP; I think I'm growing interested in some kind of automatic bunsetsu saving/SRSing tool, but that's a tangent. Sorry for the ramble, just excited (I finally have time to really focus on the year's resources and form them into an updated, integrted self-study system).
Wow. So many fun new tools for me to look into.

nest0r Wrote:
Hashiriya Wrote:Thanks a million for modifying Rikaichan like this Smile I'm totally loving the sanseido feature. Does this do example sentences too? Please continue to update this with more awesome features!
If you look at the first post, it tells you how to set up the sentence stuff.
Maybe Hashiriya was referring to sanseido's example sentences. In which case, I might have to add an option to unremove them.
Something tells me you'd quite like AntConc: http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?p...#pid138877

Does Sanseido have good example sentences? Seems like Goo's is better, not that with this mod they're really necessary.
Looking good. Testing out here on a Mac Book Pro, OS X 10.6.3 and it works fine (I have mplayer setup and the audio extension functions perfectly).

A few comments:
1) Would it be possible to mod rikaichan in the way yomichan does to have it only activate upon pressing a key? Yomichan only does look-ups and what not if you press enter. This way browsing text-rich Japanese pages doesn't become an insane rikaichan popup fest. You come across an unknown word, activate the lookup with a keystroke and move on.

2) the "sticky popup" option doesn't seem to do anything for me. I thought the popup would remain if I moused away from the word but it doesn't -- maybe I'm mis-understanding the purpose?

3) I'm in support of a local J-J dictionary lookup effort if possible (i.e. use one of the EPWing versions of 大辞泉 or 大辞林).

4) Great work as it is. Very awesome.

K.