Back

Rikaichan: RevTK Community Edition

lrob12345 Wrote:Sorry, I posted the above Anki problem to the wrong thread. But I do also have a problem with the audio extension in Rikaichan too. When I hit 'F' nothing happens (when I'm hovering over a kanji). The Rikaichan with Audio extension is properly installed in Firefox 3.6.10 on Windows 7. I'm using the Quicktime plugin. When I hit F, I see 'Waiting for assets.languagepod101.com' and then 'Done' in the status bar at the bottom of Firefox, but no sound plays.

I can successfully hear the audio for words if I manually copy in a URL into the Firefox address bar such as:
http://assets.languagepod101.com/diction...ょ&kanji=読書

Any ideas on what could be wrong?
Your not the only one. I think one of the later Firefox releases made this plugin less reliable than before. However, there is a workaround. I've noticed that if you "stimulate" a page, the sound will play. There are many ways to stimulate a page: click in Firefox's address box or search box, resize the window, switch IME language, click inside a text box, switch tabs, etc. Of course, the user shouldn't have to do any of that nonsense. Someday I'll look into creating proper fix to this problem.
Member cb4960, thanks very much - I will try your suggestion. I also noticed that when I installed the same Rikaichan plugin with audio support in SeaMonkey (another Mozilla browser) the F key does work successfully so I have that as a back up. I normally use SeaMonkey only for reading email and not as my primary browser so it is not ideal. I guess I could try installing a downlevel version of Firefox.

Another thing I notice is that the audio often gets chopped off partway through or I hear a message saying 'this clip is unavailable' depending on what media player I use. Earlier in this thread, some people say Quicktime Lite works great but when I tried to install that, it wanted me to uninstall my regular version of Quicktime. I tried associating various media players with .mp3 include Windows Media Player, VLC, and MediaMonkey, in addition to regular Quicktime Plugin. I had the best success with GOMPlayer, it did not chop off my audio.
lrob12345 Wrote:Member cb4960, thanks very much - I will try your suggestion. I also noticed that when I installed the same Rikaichan plugin with audio support in SeaMonkey (another Mozilla browser) the F key does work successfully so I have that as a back up. I normally use SeaMonkey only for reading email and not as my primary browser so it is not ideal. I guess I could try installing a downlevel version of Firefox.

Another thing I notice is that the audio often gets chopped off partway through or I hear a message saying 'this clip is unavailable' depending on what media player I use. Earlier in this thread, some people say Quicktime Lite works great but when I tried to install that, it wanted me to uninstall my regular version of Quicktime. I tried associating various media players with .mp3 include Windows Media Player, VLC, and MediaMonkey, in addition to regular Quicktime Plugin. I had the best success with GOMPlayer, it did not chop off my audio.
It's strange that you hear the "the clip is unavailable" message depending on which player you use. If a clip isn't available, you should hear that message regardless of player.

Just in case your curious, if you give me a word that gets chopped off, I can tell you if it's the same with QT Lite which is what I'm using.

I'll see if I can find some time this weekend to fix the original issue (so don't downgrade Firefox just yet).
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
wrightak Wrote:I've come to this thread. The commenter would like to have the two modifications combined.
Did anything ever come of this?

Wrightak and cb4960, do you have a patch file or something containing your fork's differences against the mainline version? That would make it easier for one of us to merge it if you haven't already (besides also making updating against future mainline rikaichan updates easier).
overture2112 Wrote:
wrightak Wrote:I've come to this thread. The commenter would like to have the two modifications combined.
Did anything ever come of this?

Wrightak and cb4960, do you have a patch file or something containing your fork's differences against the mainline version? That would make it easier for one of us to merge it if you haven't already (besides also making updating against future mainline rikaichan updates easier).
Sorry, I don't have anything like that for you.
I have just uploaded version 8 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 8

Fixed issue (caused by latest Firefox version?) where audio would often not play automatically.

Note: I tested this release with Firefox 3.16.13 on Windows XP and everything works as expected.

cb4960
Any chance of increasing Rikaichan's toggle options to make it more like other dictionaries such as Lingoes or Firefox extensions such as: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox...-google-t/ ?

That is, options such as having mouse input in conjunction with keys (e.g. Ctrl + Left Click) to toggle Rikaichan, but only just until you move the mouse away from the popped-up definition, then you'd need to hit those keys to trigger another pop-up over another word.

I pretended I had the coding skills to do this myself and explored the xpi's chrome + content stuff like options and rikaichan .js, but no idea what I'd add to the var rcxOptions list or other areas to change the functionality. ^_^

While I'm at it, could be interesting to toy with dictionary options.
Edited: 2011-03-26, 2:49 pm
Seems like v8 does not work with CCCP codec pack at all. (and I will not install K lite or something of that kind as I had major problems with that crap later on ONCE.) Just a note.
I have just uploaded version 9 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 9 via Mediafire

What's New?

* Now includes wrightak's mod for advanced save options.

* No longer requires the QuickTime plugin (bassplayer is now used instead). Unfortunately, this means that Windows is now required to play the audio. However, audio now plays back almost instantly with near perfect reliability. If you have used previous versions, you knew that playback took forever to start and often didn't play at all.

* Firefox 4 compatible

Features for the next version:

* Ignore Peter's speech about the audio clip being unavailable. Maybe play a shorter clip instead.

* Create separate Ubuntu version that includes audio support.

cb4960
You are such a badass. Thank you!
nest0r Wrote:You are such a badass. Thank you!
You're welcome! Does the audio feature work with Windows 7? I've only tested on XP.
Edited: 2011-04-01, 7:34 pm
I'll have to force myself to stop arguing in another thread and test it out. ^_^
Pressing F results in: “\bassplayer-win.exe The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail.”
Edited: 2011-04-01, 8:54 pm
Replacing the bassplayer-win w/ a copy of bassplayer from my Anki folder (and then renaming it to -win) works fine, though. But it also momentarily displays a cmd prompt box thingy. (It also plays the full not-available message. I guess that extra 25KB really meant something!)
Edited: 2011-04-01, 9:25 pm
Thanks for your analysis!

The error probably means that I need to include some Visual Studio C++ runtimes files.

Bassplayer-win is the same as bassplayer except that it's compiled as a standard win32 project instead of a console app. This is one way to prevent the cmd prompt from popping up.
Edited: 2011-04-01, 9:47 pm
Hey nest0r, can you try seeing if this version of bassplayer-win works?

Download bassplayer-win via MediaFire

If that doesn't work, try downloading this

Download VC++ Debug runtime from MediaFire

and then unzip and place the Microsoft.VC90.DebugCRT folder in the same directory as the original bassplayer-win.exe.

Thanks!
I just installed V9 on my netbook and I got the same error.

I then tried the version of bassplayer-win from the first link in my previous first and it worked!

Would still like to know if it works on Windows 7.
Awesome! Works a treat!

Edit: Well, the sound plays w/o cmd prompt but it still plays the full not available message.

Edit: Oops I see that's a feature for the next version. I knew that. ;p

Oh and of course the wrightak mod stuff works also. At least copying to clipboard does, I was too lazy to check the text file.
Edited: 2011-04-01, 11:24 pm
I have just uploaded version 9.1 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 9.1 via Mediafire

What's New?

* Fixed the audio feature so that VC++ runtime errors don't occur. (Thanks nest0r for investigating this).

* Fixed audio sometimes not playing for single kanji.

* Added a shorter "No Audio" clip that replaces the regular one.

cb4960
The No Audio clip plays at the same time as the usual JDIC no audio sound. ;p

Edit: Okay that's weird, now it's just playing the short No Audio clip. Will have to test it more.

Maybe it was a cache thing? Works fine now.

Thanks!
Edited: 2011-04-02, 4:14 am
I'm not sure cb, but is it possible to make an option saving the audio also when pressing "s" into the text file?

For me it would be convenient to have a mod - tell me if that's possible - that puts the reading into such brackets [ ], and puts the expression in kanji before it, so that something like that is displayed in the end*: http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/1cqw8o8o/Unbenannt.PNG

*(Now I have to put the [ ] manually in front of every added word.. which sucks)

Would be great having itSmile))
nest0r Wrote:Any chance of increasing Rikaichan's toggle options to make it more like other dictionaries such as Lingoes or Firefox extensions such as: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox...-google-t/ ?

That is, options such as having mouse input in conjunction with keys (e.g. Ctrl + Left Click) to toggle Rikaichan, but only just until you move the mouse away from the popped-up definition, then you'd need to hit those keys to trigger another pop-up over another word.

I pretended I had the coding skills to do this myself and explored the xpi's chrome + content stuff like options and rikaichan .js, but no idea what I'd add to the var rcxOptions list or other areas to change the functionality. ^_^

While I'm at it, could be interesting to toy with dictionary options.
Tori-kun Wrote:I'm not sure cb, but is it possible to make an option saving the audio also when pressing "s" into the text file?

For me it would be convenient to have a mod - tell me if that's possible - that puts the reading into such brackets [ ], and puts the expression in kanji before it, so that something like that is displayed in the end*: http://img6.imagebanana.com/img/1cqw8o8o/Unbenannt.PNG

*(Now I have to put the [ ] manually in front of every added word.. which sucks)

Would be great having itSmile))
Good ideas! I'll see what I can do.
Hey cb4960,

I like the work you've done on Rikaichan, thanks a lot.

I've just been testing it out though, and I seem to have a problem with the saving mod part. Unfortunately, I don't have access to another computer at the moment so I don't know if it is just on my computer.

The option to save "sentence with blank" isn't consistent (sometimes it works okay).
For example, this sentence:
(taken from Wrightaks blog, explaining the mod)
"でも良い作品だとおもう。"
I highlight the word I'm interested in (作品)and I think it should save it to my text file as:
"でも良い___だとおもう。"
But, the sentence I get is:
"でも良い作___とおもう。".

I haven't been able to test Wrightaks mod (dont think it is updated for FF4).
It might be something wrong on my end, or the original mod, or when you combined the mods. I have no idea...

Not a big deal, because I go through highlighting certain grammar and particles anyway and I can edit it easily enough.
But just thought I would inform you.
Thanks for the report!

I just tested Wrightak's original mod with Firefox 3.6 and I'm getting the same output as you: でも良い作___とおもう。

I'll try to fix it for the next version.
Here is the result I'm getting for that particular example in rejam's comment:

作品 さくひん (n) work (e.g. book, film, composition, etc.)/opus/performance/production/(P) "でも良い作品だとおもう。 http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=5351&page=3 "でも良い___だとおもう。

Edit: And the same error occurs on the blog. Must be related to the page formatting?
Edited: 2011-04-05, 9:50 pm