Back

Rikaichan: RevTK Community Edition

Works perfectly!! =)
Thank you so much!
Do'h, after a little bit more testing I think version 3 only works on UTF-8 encoded pages. I'll try to issue a fix soon.
I downloaded version 3, but when I use it on this site (http://100.amearare.com/story/009.html), Peter's voice from Jpod101 comes up and says the audio is unavailable >_> I don't get it at all, especially since it should be JDIC audio not Jpod101. So far it seems to work on other sites, though.
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
yukamina Wrote:I downloaded version 3, but when I use it on this site (http://100.amearare.com/story/009.html), Peter's voice from Jpod101 comes up and says the audio is unavailable >_> I don't get it at all, especially since it should be JDIC audio not Jpod101. So far it seems to work on other sites, though.
The JDIC audio is taken from Jpod101, it was a joint effort.
yukamina Wrote:I downloaded version 3, but when I use it on this site (http://100.amearare.com/story/009.html), Peter's voice from Jpod101 comes up and says the audio is unavailable >_> I don't get it at all, especially since it should be JDIC audio not Jpod101. So far it seems to work on other sites, though.
(Addendum to Tobbs' response) - http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=5251

Also, that page seems to be Shift-JIS, and cb4960 pointed out directly above you that version 3 only works at the moment with UTF-8.
Edited: 2010-04-12, 2:02 pm
I have just uploaded version 4.1 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 4.1

I fixed the problem mentioned a few posts ago. The extension should now work properly for pages of all encoding types (UTF-8, Shift-JIS, etc.).
Edited: 2010-04-12, 10:16 pm
I have just uploaded version 5 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 5

Bug fixes:
- For many words, the wrong text was used to retrieve the audio.
- Should now work in normal, kanji-only, and name mode. The first entry is used for each.
- In the previous version, the first time you pressed the "D" key, the form data on that page would disappear.
- The audio didn't work with .txt files and the embedded audio request appended to the on-screen text. In this version, the audio still doesn't work, but now you won't see the on-screen text get changed.
Edited: 2010-04-16, 1:38 am
downloaded and installed, this is excellent, thanks so much!!

Will report any bugs as and when I find them.
I have installed the plugin (version 5) and it worked seemlessly at the very first attempt.
This is amazing !!
Thanks so much for making this great tool available to us.
thanks, I installed version 5 with the qlite and it works fine.
Just me, or does rikaichan 2.0 not have this feature anymore?
rswarsaw Wrote:Just me, or does rikaichan 2.0 not have this feature anymore?
It's not you. The programmer was just too lazy to update the audio feature to version 2.0.
I have just uploaded version 6 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 6

What changed:

* Updated to support the new rikaichan 2.0.

* The JDIC Audio hotkey is now 'F'. This is because rikaichan 2.0 now uses the 'D' key for the hide/show definitions feature.

cb4960
I love it.
thx

It would be fine to get all the MP3-files on the PC, to get a complete offline-version.
Just want to say that this add-on is awesome!

Need to check if anyone has any idea on how to play the alternative pronunciation for a word like 象. Only managed to play the first definition which is しょう.

Thanks a lot in advance Smile
Write ぞう and you get it.

Normally it is better use Kanji, but this time it isn't.
Edited: 2010-08-10, 10:47 am
Following a comment on my blog post

http://wrightak.blogspot.com/2010/08/mod...ichan.html

I've come to this thread. The commenter would like to have the two modifications combined.

It looks like it would be fairly easy but I lose the motivation to code it when I can't really see the benefit of hearing a sound file for each word.

I can understand the desire to hear sentences. But when you hear a word on its own, its value seems fairly limited. Especially when you consider the generally unambiguous, phonetic nature of the kana. (I know that there are tones to consider but...) Maybe someone could explain/argue for the value of this?

If I did code the combination of the two extensions, would people use it? (Because I won't)
@wrightak - Don't underestimate that confidence and nuanced accuracy that professionally made native audio can give even for single words excised from the prosody of a sentence. There's a clear difference from an amateur's array of estimations as to the pronunciation of a set of unfamiliar terms, that of say, a TTS engine like Misaki (of which, I am told, there's a new version floating about, by the way), and the JDIC audio or the like. It's as simple to access (when not talking of coding add-ons) as kana at this point, so it's become common for those in the know to use this resource.

Also, cognitively speaking, multiple senses where text and audio reinforce one another is always better. See: multimodal integration, multimedia learning, the McGurk effect, etc.

If you can easily snag native audio for a word you're learning, I think you should always do so.

It's also handy for having more versatile cards depending on style of reviewing, medium and environment, etc.
Hmm.

I think that any kind of TTS system is completely useless for language learners, but anyway...

I can see it being useful for beginners, who don't have a clue. But my extension is designed for people who want to pick up vocab that they read on the web. Not sure that there is significant demand/need there.

Which brings me to the point - you didn't answer my question. If I combined the two extensions, would you use it?

Do you have any links to the topics you raised? (multimodal integration, multimedia learning etc.)
I use TTS when I can't get native audio. I find Textaloud's options such as proofreading to be brilliant in scope.

It's not just beginners, it's anyone who wants audio reinforcement for their text, sync'ed with it, when they're learning a new word. Also, I think you'd be surprised at the vast array of learner-types/levels who want to use your extension. Would I use it? I don't use Rikaichan, I use Stardict, hehe, and Thurd's Anki plugin. If I used a browser-only pop-up dictionary I'd use a combo though, if we're talking about an audio slot in addition to other options.

As for links, I stuck them in 'keyword' form so they're easily Googled (w/ or w/o 'site: koohii.com to see my past posts). The gist of it is, humans are synaesthetic creatures who learn best by integrating the target information with complementary senses. See also 'levels of processing'. Check out the book Brain Rules for an accessible primer: http://www.brainrules.net/sensory-integration
I have just uploaded version 7 of the rikaichan JDIC audio plugin.

Download version 7

Nothing new. Just updated to support rikaichan 2.01.

Note: Be sure to download the latest dictionaries.

cb4960
Edited: 2010-10-08, 9:41 pm
This is great. Thanks cb4960! Big Grin
*push* As I started using this Rikai-chan plus Anki method to learn vocabulary (Currently I read the "Alice in Wonderland" text, or rather learn it's words by pressing "s" 13 times a day and add the vocabularies in my Anki deck, called Misc) and i was curios about whether this thing also saves the audio in a text file? Would be definitely great and worth doing for listening/speaking comprehension while revising... Anybody? (or is that feature already implemented and I just did not consider that?!)
Does this extension work with Anki 1.2.2?

I have Anki 1.2.2 on Windows 7 and I installed this Audio Download plugin from http://ankisrs.net/docs/AudioDownload.html

I have Japanese Suport installed in Anki. My deck (e.g. a shared JLPT deck) has a Audio, Reading, Meaning, and Expression fields. After I show the answer and click on the green audio button, the audio I hear always just says 'The audio for this clip is currently not available and will be uploaded soon' (for really simple words that I know are available in JDIC). I've read that JDIC can return this 'unavailable clip' if somehow the URL being sent isn't in Unicode and thus it isn't really sending the correct kana or kanji. The cards I'm using now just have kana, not kanji so I hope that is supported. I thought I followed all the instructions, but can't get JDIC to return anything but the 'unavailable' clip.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sorry, I posted the above Anki problem to the wrong thread. But I do also have a problem with the audio extension in Rikaichan too. When I hit 'F' nothing happens (when I'm hovering over a kanji). The Rikaichan with Audio extension is properly installed in Firefox 3.6.10 on Windows 7. I'm using the Quicktime plugin. When I hit F, I see 'Waiting for assets.languagepod101.com' and then 'Done' in the status bar at the bottom of Firefox, but no sound plays.

I can successfully hear the audio for words if I manually copy in a URL into the Firefox address bar such as:
http://assets.languagepod101.com/diction...ょ&kanji=読書

Any ideas on what could be wrong?