Back

Dope Japanese Hip-Hop

sokino Wrote:Yeah, Tobberoth, pretty much.

Nestor - I think that may take some time to grow on me too.

Also, vgambit, tell me if you like this:

Name Tag - Coma-Chi

From what I understand (by browsing Japanese blogs and such) this song is considered a "classic" of the new generation (2000's).

I think she did a more poppy remix of it.
I don't know, it didn't take that long to grow on me. ;p

I understand that everyone's picky, though--personally I've acquired and discarded like a thousand Japanese rap/hip hop albums* while retaining only a relative handful of songs from them**, mostly stuff where I can ignore the music in favour of the vocals (because they're dominant in the song structure or integrated so that the background disappears), because for me, as I generally don't listen to music with vocals unless I consider it linguistically useful (see my 'time hacks' thread) or incredibly 'elite', I just can't stomach the mediocre compositions in comparison to work where the composition is everything. I'm too polite to trash most of the music in this thread, though. ^_^

*Ratio is about the same regardless of the genre/language, for the record.
**Except Rappagariya, I like pretty much all of their music.

I think there's a full version of the second track in the sampler I linked above in this video, but I can't log into Nico for some reason, so I haven't checked: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm8392278

Edit: Didn't have to log in for this link: http://www.nicozon.net/watch/sm8392278
Edited: 2010-01-20, 4:27 pm
It's not a wack club beat, it's sampled from the most popular Christmas song of all time in Japan. It's awesome, they've taken a song which sounds completely different and integrated it perfectly into a rap song which is ***** awesome.
Tobberoth Wrote:It's not a wack club beat, it's sampled from the most popular Christmas song of all time in Japan. It's awesome, they've taken a song which sounds completely different and integrated it perfectly into a rap song which is ***** awesome.
If I'm not feeling it, I'm not feeling it. It's hard to put to words.

Also, I hate autotune.
JapanesePod101
I didn't really get into japanese RAP yet, but I like both underground and mainstream stuff
RIP SLYME greatest hits cd is pretty good SUPER SHOOTER is amazing

I'm looking for Scha darra Parr albuns, I can't use perfect dark anymore since people installed a router here :/
Ryuujin27 Wrote:Also, do you not like Zeebra? I admit I haven't listened to him in a while, but he has solid tracks, and Jackin' 4 Beats is addictive (probably because I knew every beat he took in that song).
Speaking of him, I'll never forget how cool it was when this MMA fighter came out to 'Bushido', giving off this bad*ss samurai vibe.... and then he got KO'd so hard I thought he went into rigor mortis before he hit the mat. Scary.
vgambit Wrote:
Tobberoth Wrote:It's not a wack club beat, it's sampled from the most popular Christmas song of all time in Japan. It's awesome, they've taken a song which sounds completely different and integrated it perfectly into a rap song which is ***** awesome.
If I'm not feeling it, I'm not feeling it. It's hard to put to words.

Also, I hate autotune.
Actually, the part which is autotuned is from the original christmas song, probably auto-tuned to fit to the rap beat version.

RTK Hip-Hop-heads unite! Big Grin Here's some stuff to check out from artists I've been listening to lately.

GEEK / Pipe Dream

O2 from MSC / 街道14

BES from SWANKY SWIPE / The Process

SHIZOO feat. BES(from Swanky Swipe) / たしかに ~ それでも

NITRO MICROPHONE UNDERGROUND - STRAIGHT FROM THE UNDERGROUND

NORIKIYO / DO MY THING

SD JUNKSTA - 人間交差点~風の街~/モノクローム

【BIG BANG】STICKY, 寿, BOMBRUSH!

【BIG BANG】SEEDA, GANGSTA TAKA, BOMBRUSH

Edited: 2010-01-20, 8:36 pm
Thanks for the links everyone

And I like how you subscribed to Al Jazeera English =D

Edit:

This has a Japanese line in it Tongue
Edited: 2010-01-20, 8:16 pm
Thanks for the list KREVA! I've heard of all those artists, but had written a few off as bad after hearing some of their other stuff. Glad I gave these songs a listen!

Where does everyone here get their Japanese hip-hop from, anyway?
Ryuujin27 Wrote:Thanks for the list KREVA! I've heard of all those artists, but had written a few off as bad after hearing some of their other stuff. Glad I gave these songs a listen!

I ask Japanese friends what they like. One can also look at sites like listen.jp, but obviously that will be mainly mainstream material.
Also forget to tell everyone to check out Tokona-X:

This is a sample of two or three of his songs. I forget. Either way, if you like it check out his album... but also know he won't be making anymore. He died of... well probably overweight and drugs.
Ryuujin27 Wrote:Thanks for the list KREVA! I've heard of all those artists, but had written a few off as bad after hearing some of their other stuff. Glad I gave these songs a listen!

I don't know, it's an automatic process for me, instinctive skills honed over the years. I know it involves Google, though.
Edited: 2010-01-20, 10:11 pm

No problem, Ryuujin27. Who did you write off as bad? I'm interested. Smile
As for finding music, it's a combination of purchasing and internet downloading. I am also on livejournal and help upload at OngakuRevival (though I only posted a few times).
I usually just go to nicomimi (http://www.nicomimi.net/) and type in artists' name that I picked up from God knows where. They usually have a good selection of songs.
KREVA Wrote:Who did you write off as bad? I'm interested. Smile
Well, I had pretty much written off all of MSC, as I really didn't like their flow. They're lyrics are pretty solid, but there was definitely something missing.

I also had a dislike for Shizoo and SD Junksta. I thought both were mediocre at best, but what you posted shows me they can all bring it.
JUSWANNA / BLACK BOX

MURO ft TWIGY, E G G MAN, HAB I SCREAM, BOY KEN, YOU THE ROCK★ / MADE IN JAPAN

LAMP EYE / 証言featuring RINO. YOU THE ROCK. G.K.MARYAN. ZEEBRA. TWIGY. GAMA. DEV-LARGE

(ONE OF MY FAVORITES!!! Big Grin )
Ryuujin27 Wrote:
KREVA Wrote:Who did you write off as bad? I'm interested. Smile
Well, I had pretty much written off all of MSC, as I really didn't like their flow. They're lyrics are pretty solid, but there was definitely something missing.

I also had a dislike for Shizoo and SD Junksta. I thought both were mediocre at best, but what you posted shows me they can all bring it.
I don't know much about MSC, but I thought O2's first (and released not too long ago) album was straight fire. (The first half of the album, that is)

I kinda understand what you mean about SHIZOO, I think his frequent use of English tears his flow to shreds, but the songs where he raps less English are decent.

SD Junksta are great to me, especially NORIKIYO. Like the beats and feel to their stuff.
liosama Wrote:Thanks for the links everyone

And I like how you subscribed to Al Jazeera English =D

Edit:

This has a Japanese line in it Tongue
Nowadays I rarely watch Youtube. I really only set up the playlist to have a backup source of Japanese hip-hop should my ipod be unavailable. I'm probably not gonna watch any Al Jazeera videos for a long time, unless they come out with Al Jazeera Japanese. I'm trying to actually stick to this AJATT business now. This hip-hop makes it incredibly easy.
jpkuelho Wrote:I didn't really get into japanese RAP yet, but I like both underground and mainstream stuff
RIP SLYME greatest hits cd is pretty good SUPER SHOOTER is amazing

I'm looking for Scha darra Parr albuns, I can't use perfect dark anymore since people installed a router here :/
Me too, even though RIP SLYME are still one of my favorites bands (they make hip-hop fun Big Grin ), Japan has an array of sounds when it comes to anything Hip-Hop related.

You can pm me if you want the hook up on some スチャダラパー.
Edited: 2010-01-21, 12:52 am
KREVA Wrote:SD Junksta are great to me, especially NORIKIYO. Like the beats and feel to their stuff.
I've always loved NORIKIYO but didn't seem to like the group before... now I do haha.

Also, I wanted to recommend Twigy and his crazy flow!

Great video too! ;-)
Ryuujin27 Wrote:
KREVA Wrote:SD Junksta are great to me, especially NORIKIYO. Like the beats and feel to their stuff.
I've always loved NORIKIYO but didn't seem to like the group before... now I do haha.

Also, I wanted to recommend Twigy and his crazy flow!

Great video too! ;-)
I consider Twigy one of the pioneers of 日本のラップ. Smile
Edited: 2010-01-21, 2:10 am
sokino Wrote:中盤戦 - Kreva feat. Mummy-D

That song is a good one. Thought ACE was nice, too. As a matter of fact, I'm addicted to ACE. He's a monster (when he wants to be).

Edited: 2010-01-21, 4:04 am
For me the best Japanese hip hop producer by far is DJ Mitsu - he's put out several albums under his own name which mainly feature English-speaking artists, but he also produces for his brother (Hunger) who together form a group called GAGLE. They've put out 5 or 6 albums and they're all solid, can be listened to from start to finish... no rubbishy club beats at all. If you like DJ Premier, Dilla, Pete Rock etc. I'm sure you'll like them a lot.

This is the track that got me into them:

GAGLE - Big Bang Theory

This is a bit more recent:

Hunger - Jappcats

Grooveman Spot is another awesome producer, although again usually works with American artists:

Grooveman Spot feat. Hunger, Raythought & U-Zipplain - My Mind

The following are a few more artists I like a lot.

SOUL SCREAM - 蜂と蝶

Steady & Co. - 春夏秋冬 (you'll recognise ILMARI if you've listened to RIP SLYME)

BIG-O & DJ WATARAI - I'm Gonna Be Alright

SHINGO☆西成 - ILL西成BLUES (Geek Remix)

You might have heard of Dragon Ash (the leader Kenji Furaya also put together Steady & Co above) - they're hard to categorise as they've changed their style a lot, starting with pretty standard hip hop but now heavily influenced by reggae and Spanish guitar!! They're insteresting though and worth a listen:

Dragon Ash - Los Lobos

The next two are bit more abstract, not really on the same vibe as the rest I posted.

MICHITA - 足跡

Suburban featuring Shing02 - 栞

I personally really enjoy instrumental hip hop, and there are a lot of great Japanese artists in this genre too. They rarely feauture Japanese lyrics but you still might want to check out the likes of NUJABES, HIMUKI, NOMAK, SHINGO SUZUKI, TSUNENORI, UYAMA HIROTO etc....

NAJUBES - Still talking to you

SHINGO SUZUKI - Inside your love

Just for fun here's some good Korean hip hop aswell:

화나 (Feat. 황보령) - 화약고 (I love this beat!!)

Drunken Tiger - 뽕짝이야기 (might sound familiar if you listen to Non Phixion)

Edited: 2010-01-21, 5:08 am
thatkidpercy Wrote:I personally really enjoy instrumental hip hop, and there are a lot of great Japanese artists in this genre too. They rarely feauture Japanese lyrics but you still might want to check out the likes of NUJABES, HIMUKI, NOMAK, SHINGO SUZUKI, TSUNENORI, UYAMA HIROTO etc....
I like them too, but I'm trying to limit the instrumentals to interludes only. I don't want to spend too much time not listening to Japanese.
Shogen live is hype.

They threw vinyl into the audience!
Edited: 2010-01-21, 8:07 am