Back

Post Your Recent Milestone Achievement Here

(2016-08-01, 9:39 am)yukamina Wrote: @anotherjohn, are those 53000 cards unique words?
Nooooooooooooooo!

Maybe 40k words/names -> reading, 3.5k kanji -> meaning, plus overlapping audio/sentences.

Also I review words for reading only, not meaning (though many words to require at least a vague impression of the meaning in order to get the right reading).

I find that once the reading is familiar, the meaning tends to follow from the kanji meanings + contextual cues.
(2016-08-01, 10:00 am)anotherjohn Wrote:
(2016-08-01, 9:39 am)yukamina Wrote: @anotherjohn, are those 53000 cards unique words?
Nooooooooooooooo!

Maybe 40k words/names -> reading, 3.5k kanji -> meaning, plus overlapping audio/sentences.

Also I review words for reading only, not meaning (though many words to require at least a vague impression of the meaning in order to get the right reading).

I find that once the reading is familiar, the meaning tends to follow from the kanji meanings + contextual cues.
That's an interesting approach. I'd be nice to hear other people's experiences with this approach, but I guess most people focus on both readings and meaning.

I feel if you have the meaning on the card, it may be alright not to fail certain cards even if you don't recall the meaning that well. Not that the meaning isn't important to take into consideration, but Anki is very different from actual reading. I feel the lack of context makes it harder to make a solid connection between pronunciation and meaning, as it's not very memorable and you don't have to interpret anything. When it comes to readings though, it's so objective (like basic math) that context has little to no importance.

I don't know disregarding meaning sometimes would be a good idea, but I feel it would help me save some time and spend more meaningful time with the language. I'm always afraid of straying from tried and true methods though...

EDIT: lol, I ended up making a thread about it... if anyone feels like speaking their minds, here's the link:
http://forum.koohii.com/thread-13953.html
Edited: 2016-08-01, 10:49 pm
Goal achieved!

Did a 1k+ new card marathon yesterday to get it finished off. Still got 387 mostly nasty dregs that I skipped over, but I'm going to get things cool off before I even consider tackling those. Apart from these, all non-core, non-katakana words marked 'common' in JMdict are now active.

One cool thing that happened. Get to 羽子板 and think, is that REALLY a common word?? Google says 3.7m hits. Guess it must be common. Top hit is the wikipedia article so I click & have a read. Encounter 下学集 which I can't read and isn't in JMdict so click that and ... encounter 羅列, a 'common' word with an obvious reading this time but which I don't know ... sigh. Continue grinding through cards and lo and behold 羅列 comes up ... yay!

For the last 5 days I added a cram session for failed cards to take some of the sting out of the following days' reviews (encountering some new 'idiosyncrasies' in Anki's user interface in the process I might add). I had never bothered with this before but it turned out to be very effective. On the downside it made the crammed cards so much easier than the normal review cards that it became tempting to fail them on that basis alone.

The kanjipeen continues to show a satisfying tumescence in light of all this. I think the oddest new kanji I encountered was 甕, which I had never seen but which gets 4.6 million hits, surprisingly.

The seen cards in this collection contain:
3927 total unique kanji.
Old jouyou: 1940 of 1940 (100.0%).
New jouyou: 196 of 196 (100.0%).
Jinmeiyou (regular): 587 of 641 (91.6%).
Jinmeiyou (variant): 41 of 145 (28.3%).
1163 non-jouyou kanji.
Jouyou levels:

Grade 1: 80  of 80  (100.0%).
Grade 2: 160 of 160 (100.0%).
Grade 3: 200 of 200 (100.0%).
Grade 4: 200 of 200 (100.0%).
Grade 5: 185 of 185 (100.0%).
Grade 6: 181 of 181 (100.0%).
JuniorHS: 934 of 934 (100.0%).

[Image: 8bdB7dk.png]
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
My recent milestone is finally finishing my first Japanese manga! It took me more than half a year due to not reading it consistently but I can at least say that I finally did it! It started off really slow, but once I found a method that was right for me, things started to pick up. I think I can easily say I can finish reading the next manga is a much shorter period of time xD
Finally finished Core10K (defined as "getting the 'new cards' pile down to zero"). Anki says it took me 335 days (and I missed reviewing on just 2 of those days which I'm pretty sure were right at the start when I was getting the deck set up). 5790 mature cards, 697 young+learn, 130 got suspended as leeches, and the rest I manually suspended because I already knew them. I have 170 reviews due today; it will be interesting to see how quickly (or not) the review workload ramps down now I'm not adding new cards every day.
Next step in reading comfort achieved! I've been reading a LN that previously required too many look ups to be enjoyable, so I had never read past the prologue. Understood said prologue a lot better, too.

While print news (a rare occurence for me), games, and manga have had comfortable levels of look ups for quite a while now, novels, even LNs, have been too frustrating. I guess all those webnovels have helped as I'd hoped.
Still looking things up fairly often, but it's not every few words like it was last year. Gonna need a new yardstick... Guess I'll start looking for some interesting novels soon.
Edited: 2016-12-29, 11:42 pm
Just translated a 4 page document into japanese.