Back

Kanji In Context sentences project

/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*
To join this project, please email me.
/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*

Is anyone else interested in helping me mine the sentences from Kanji In Context? This project has likely been done before, but there is no obvious thread about it.

I know that most people in this forum are big fans of Kanji Odyssey, but for some learners, KIC provides a more appropriate challenge.

I've been working with this book for about 6 months, but I'm only a little less than half-way finished. I'd be more than happy to contribute the ~550 sentences that I've already got.
Edited: 2009-06-19, 9:14 am
I have the 1st workbook and I'd like to work on it at some point, but I'm currently going through the jlpt2 kanji first with this other book by the same writer http://forum.koohii.com/showthread.php?tid=3003. I've done about 1000 sentences from that book, which is about a third of the way through.
Oh man, I'd be so totally down with helping you mine Kanji in Context. I'm actually not quite done with RTK and I'm busy finishing that and working full time, thus my time to help will be limited. However, I've started Kanji in Context a bit already and was planning to begin going full throttle with it in about 3 or 4 weeks.

Anyway, I'm sure I can save time overall by starting a bit early by helping you (and anyone else that wants to join in). I'll try my best to put in as much effort as I can despite my busy schedule!
May 15 - 26: Pretty Big Deal: Get 31% OFF Premium & Premium PLUS! CLICK HERE
JapanesePod101
I have made a Google Docs spreadsheet with what I've got so far.

While not required for this project, if you do not have the purple reference book, please consider purchasing it as 1) it contains some kanji that don't seem to be included in sentences, and 2) it is extremely well-compiled (simply read the introduction to see for yourself)
Edited: 2009-06-18, 10:49 pm
how does this differ than our kanji odyssey project at iKnow? we already have up to 810 kanji (around several thousand sentences i believe) on it... i think doing yet another project would last a lot of time IMO
Anyone interested in this deck?

[Image: kic.png]
Ahibba what is about the deck?
cescoz Wrote:Ahibba what is about the deck?
All the entries from Kanji In Context in an anki file!
@Hashiriya
That's a good question. The two series present information in slightly different ways. KIC's learning curve also seems higher. The grammar in KIC tends to be at a higher level than KO. KIC seems to have a more frequent use of "kanji priming" (those kanji which have not-yet been learned, but will be within the next few chapters) in sentences. People who are using KIC might prefer to use that series' sentences to take advantage of the author's methodology.

@ahibba
Does that deck contain sentences?
ahibba Wrote:All the entries from Kanji In Context in an anki file!
Yes, this deck was available for a while, but as it only has the words and no sentences it's fairly useless to the way most of us use the books.
I'm looking for volunteers for this project.

Our first task is to get the current sentences in order. They need to be ordered into the appropriate 28 chapters. This is tedious work, but it's important.
I would be interested in doing book 2.
In the interest of speeding this project along, I've done the following:

(+) sentences 1-550 are now in order according their appearance in the workbook
(+) everything has been labeled with chapter and sentence number
(+) cleaned up Anki export formatting

Still to do:
(-) Chapters 1-29 need to be proofed
(-) work is ready to begin on Chapter 30

@Transparent_Aluminium
Simultaneous work on Workbook 2 would be fantastic.
I'll do 31-35 if that's ok.
Hashiriya Wrote:how does this differ than our kanji odyssey project at iKnow? we already have up to 810 kanji (around several thousand sentences i believe) on it... i think doing yet another project would last a lot of time IMO
KIC is a much more appropriate book for people who are already at an intermediate to high level. It's as simple as that. Not to mention, the example sentences seem very very good in KIC.
KIC is great to fill the gap between KO2001 (which fufills perfectly the needs of 2Kyuu) and 1kyuu .
Nevertheless it must be pointed out that contrary to KO2001 the sentences seem less fit for SRS use . Way too long. It's still worth to mine it though .
Edited: 2009-06-19, 5:05 am
@vosmiura
You're fast -- I see you've already started to add sentences. Go nuts, dude!

I'll finish up Chapter 30 and then do 36-40.
@vosmiura
I didn't mean to intrude on your portion of the work, but I typed out Chapters 34 and 35 for my own studies and put them into the spreadsheet in order to save you some time. No sense in duplicating the amount of work. No hard feelings. If you'd like to pick up any future chapters, let me know. Right now Tzadeck is tentatively scheduled to do 41-45.

I think it'd be best to reserve smaller chapter chunks. Maybe only 1 or 2 chapters at a time. I don't know about other people, but it takes me about 30-45 minutes to type out one chapter's worth of sentences, and it's difficult to find that much free time in the day.
No problem, I hadn't started working on those yet anyway. You're studying quick now :p.

Edit: I've picked up from 46 on. I've added to a new sheet so I don't have to insert a lot of empty space in the main sheet.

For me it takes about 20-25 minutes per KIC chapter. I use OCR and then fix up any errors.
Edited: 2009-06-24, 1:29 am
Hmm I'm writing out the sentences as well but you're way ahead of me, so I don't see how I'd be able to contribute
One thing. I intend to finish RTK and both Genkis till September. Do you recommend this book? I did some research about it a few months ago, but forgot everything but it seemed good, because I remember I wanted to buy it. Is it a good investment?
In case anyone is interested, it's not a stretch to just use the Smart.FM Core 2k and 6k decks with the word lists from KIC. With Anki's outstanding search feature, it's easy to find sentences with the word in question now. Toss in the audio/sentences from Coscom's KO2001 CD and you have a nice corpus of sentences with audio.

Suspend all sentences (unless you already have studied them), search, unsuspend appropriate sentence(s). Way, way too easy. If a word happens to not be in your Corpus, a quick search on Goo or Yahoo.jp can bring up a good sample sentence which you can run through a TTS. Or just ignore the word.

I'm doing something similar as I come across new words during sentence mining. Basically, just because you have 6000 to 11000 sentences does not mean you have to go through them all in order, or even use them all.
potempkin Wrote:Still to do:
(-) Chapters 1-29 need to be proofed
I plan to do 1-29 this winter break. So I could proof read your file while I'm at it.

I got my sentences written into excel. I'm writing the full sentences with the target word in the next cell. I write them simply for practicing purposes even if the grammar is above my level.

ただ今、来客中ですので、後ほどこちらからお電話さしあげます。 後ほど

I'm still trying to think of the best way to implement things for me. I'm only after learning the readings and not really trying to grasp grammar or whatever as most of you are. But yeah, I would still be glad to help out, I mean it won't hurt me to.

liosama at gmail.com is my email feel free to contact me
I've added chapter 95, the first one of workbook 2. I'll try to do chapter 96 tomorrow, time permitting.
CarolinaCG Wrote:One thing. I intend to finish RTK and both Genkis till September. Do you recommend this book? I did some research about it a few months ago, but forgot everything but it seemed good, because I remember I wanted to buy it. Is it a good investment?
Hey, someone?

Thanks~